Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Interesting info on sealing marble I just found

Posted by needinfo1 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 23:11

I know this is a topic of interest to many. This guy did a test for etching and staining leaving various foodstuffs on white marble unsealed and sealed with different sealers.

http://www.granitegurus.com/2010/05/experiment-of-etching-marble-part-one.html

http://www.granitegurus.com/2010/05/experiment-of-etching-marble-part-deux.html

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Interesting info on sealing marble I just found

That was an interesting experiment. Looks like the 5 coats of Bulletproof didn't do much. I like that he used both the honed and the polished samples. If I ever had a lemon overnight on my marble I would be pretty freaked to see that deep of etching. As he said, "It was gnarly".

I had a friend who did have a whole bunch of etching on her counter and after about five years she had this marble guy come out and he wet buffed all her counters and they were back to "new". While not cheap, it is a possible solution for those that have a limit to what they can tolerate in terms of "patina".

Thanks needinfo!

o

I found this because I am going to have a few marble counters in a kitchen that is primarily soapstone and am looking for info on what I should do to seal the marble.

o

Needinfo - I sealed my honed statuary marble island with 511 about 3 times when I first got it (almost a year). I have a lot of etching, scratches and wear (you can tell where I use it the most), but not a single stain. There has even been spaghetti on it. And last week I rolled out red fondant. The fondant left pink on the marble, but I sprayed one quick spray of Clorox Cleanup and wiped (I've never used Clorox on the marble before) it right up. Other than this one instance of Clorox, I use a dishrag with Dawn and water on the counter. I'm really happy with the protection the 511 has given me against stains.

o

I love the granite gurus. Thanks for sharing!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here