Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
white cabs + blue backsplash = always "coastal"?

Posted by baltimore_hygge (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 23:04

We're doing a white kitchen with soapstone, wood floors, and I'm now trying to decide on backsplash. I'd like to get an MCM/scandinavian vibe to fit with the rest of our house, but am finding that all the 'inspiration' pictures on tile sites that have white kitchens and blue tile are described as 'coastal inspired'.

The closest we get to the coast is our little fishpond and our 4" goldfish. How do I steer more towards Denmark and less towards South Carolina? (And ok, Denmark and Sweden have a lot of coast :) )

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: white cabs + blue backsplash = always "coastal"?

I've saved a couple of white/blue kitchens to my Houzz ideabooks, I don't think it has to seem coastal! I'm planning to do a white kitchen with (some kind of color) colorful backsplash. I think the blue is lovely.

Here is a link that might be useful: White kitchen w/ blue.

o

It is a favorite combination of mine. I saw white tiles with blue trim, some like a Delft pattern. I wish I had taken a picture for you. I posted way back then how great they would look with Blue Pearl granite.

I don't think it is a coastal look.

o

I don't think that combination has to always look coastal. I've seen plenty of kitchens as you describe that don't. One of my favorites is from a GWer (link below). It is similar to what you describe and turned out beautifully!

Here is a link that might be useful: amandasplit gorgeous kitchen

o

Blue backpainted glass

This may be coastal

But I don't think these are:

o

Totally agree with everyone. Blue is a traditional color here in the southwest, and that's about as far away as you can get from coastal inspirations; I'm considering at least some white cabinets. I'm also trying to work with MCM features in our house, and blue keeps coming up, over and over, as I look at inspiration photos.

I also think of blue/white as a Scandinavian color combo.

I think people who write copy sometimes tend to grab the easiest "hook" in their description, and "coastal inspired" is just an easy label.

o

Great pictures above, good illustrations that it all depends on the style of the cabinets/hardware/backsplash/windows, not the colors.

o

Blue and white is not just coastal....it's a basic country look for Scandinavian, French, American, etc. Always cheerful and welcoming :)

Here's a link to MANY lovely kitchens...yahoo images.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

o

You should check out @rococogurl's kitchen - the backsplash is multicolored (with some blue) and she has a beautiful blue hutch. The write-up on the finished kitchens blog mentions that she was going for a Swedish vibe. Not quite Danish, I know, but close!

Here is a link that might be useful: link with a photo of rococogurl's lovely kitchen

o

"Coastal" is as overused as "Old World Feel."
Hmm. As is "French Provencal." Ask someone what that actually means and they have no idea. "You know. Frenchy." is what I was informed.

Go with what you want and don't feel the need to pigeon hole your space. Blues and white are clean, crisp, traditional and contemporary, and just plain beautiful.

IMHO, anything that has water outside the window can be called "coastal." Then, anywhere someone has glued sea horses, sea shells and has shower curtains with waves on them can also be called "coastal."

You pick! :)

This post was edited by CEFreeman on Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 14:41

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here