Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheri127_gw

Did I make a huge mistake?

cheri127
15 years ago

I'm having this terrible feeling that my black Lacanche range won't look good with dark QS oak cabinets and soapstone counters. The cabinets and range are bought and can't be changed. Do you think soapstone will be too much and if so, what are my options? I'm doing a black and white checkerboard floor. Do you think this will add the contrast I need to make the range stand out from the dark cabinets and counters?

Bad mock up

Comments (31)

• kompy
    15 years ago

I think it will look awesome!

• Buehl
    15 years ago

I agree...I think it looks great!

• raenjapan
    15 years ago

Looks gorgeous to me.

• tetrazzini
    15 years ago

I think the QS oak will look great with the black range. Here's a link with zelmar's kitchen pictures (7th post down). The cabinets are dark, the range black, the counters black (tho not soapstone.)

I can't picture the black and white floor, so I can't help with that. Can the floor wait until last so you can make a decision based on the rest of the kitchen?

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I don't think it's a bad mockup, or a bad combination. Like egganddart49, I can't really imagine the floor with it, but we don't know your whole vision as well as you do.

• sailormann
    15 years ago

I love the range/cabinet/countertop combination. I think that the checkerboard floor would look wonderful as long as it's done in a stone... old world marble-ish stuff. Vinyl might be a bt of a stretch...

Looking forard to seeing the finished room !

• victoriajane
    15 years ago

I think it will look fabulous, *but* if you are really unsure and the countertops are not yet set in stone (pun intended), I also think zinc or pewter would be lovely in your craftsman type kitchen. But the soapstone will work perfectly if you prefer to stick with that.

• bmorepanic
    15 years ago

I like the combination - except for the floor. I think brand new black and white checkerboard will look a bit harsh and out of place.

I'm not recommending the place below (I wouldn't know anything about them) - its just for flooring looks. The chevron pattern wood floor shown in the opening picture is exactly what I see with your combination - a bit rustic, a bit of texture and a nice warm hue.

This would be my second choice - it can be replicated using sorta lower priced tiles.
    {{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Exotic Surfaces

• gglks
    15 years ago

i think it will look great....especially with your stainless hood!!!! i too am having a hard time visualizing the floor.....

what kind of material are you planning on using?

• megradek
    15 years ago

Ooooo, I really like that combo of counter, range and QS oak! It will be fantastic. Do share more about your floor. I'm not one to love the checkered look, but it may be right for the space.

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

I love the way the range, soapstone and cabinets look. just gorgeous.

also, not entirely sure about the checkerboard floor, although I ADORE that look. when it comes time (maybe now??), could you buy a few tiles and lay them down to give yourself a better of idea of what it will look like?

I think on flooring there are many many options that will look great (perhaps the checkerboard) so don't worry about that and try to be flexible.

I really like the option Bmorepanice presented. I also like the idea of the 1" white hex tiles with a pattern made every so often out of black 1" hex... have seen many of these in older buildings but don't have a good picture to share. and here is a kitchen whose floor I love. they are antique french limestone hexagon tiles... sort of similar with bmore's:

• cheri127
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK...where to begin. First of all, thank you, thank you for the vote of confidence on the counters, range and cabinet finishes. I really feel sooooooo much better. Had one of those *sinking in the pit of my stomach* feelings last night and fell into the abyss of second guessing.

egganddart49: thanks for the link to Zelmar's amazing kitchen. As many times as I've viewed it, I never noticed she had a black range. It looks great.

Onto the floor. I have struggled long and hard with finding the right floor. I was originally going to run the wood from the dining room into the kitchen but fear that a wood floor will be too much wood and make the kitchen look more arts and crafts than victorian.

Bmore: I love that herringbone floor and agree it would look fabulous, but I don't want to clean it. I have a beat up old wood floor now and it's a bear to keep clean.

Mamadada and Bmore: I do love the hex but don't want the upkeep of terra cotta. I did look at reclaimed encaustics from France but was worried they'd be too busy. What do you think?

My house is decorated sort of Edwardian, with a formal but lived in look, without a hint of anything rustic anywhere so I'm don't want to go with any kind of rough looking stone in the kitchen. I can't find a single light colored, smooth stone I like and I've searched. Then I thought cork, but DH hated it. In the end I found this beautiful style victorian tile than I thought would look great. The only problem is that oil stained it even after it was sealed so that was out but I did find porcelain tiles that were very similar.

Inspiration

8" square porcelain tiles

Same tiles on diagonal which I think I like better

I can get these tiles in 6" square rather than 8" keeping more with the inspiration photo but I most likely won't do the border all the way around the cabinets and into the mudroom...too complicated. I could, however, do a framed rectangle with it in the kitchen. Any thoughts? If anyone has any other ideas I'm open to suggestion. Choosing a floor has been a nightmare. Thanks!

• gglks
    15 years ago

now that i'm seeing it, i think it will work. it will lightened it up too. i think i was picturing a glossy ceramic floor, but it looks like the tiles you picked are matte.....and the black looks a bit more charcoal on my monitor, which i think i like.

i also was having a hard time visualizing a "white" floor with your other elements, but when i put both of your photos side by side, i'm starting to get it!

• cheri127
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Gglks. Yes, the black isn't quite black. In fact, those are two different tiles; one looks dark gray with brown undertones and the other is more like a really dark charcoal or off black. The whites are a little different too, one having more gray undertones than the other. Haven't decided which ones I like best.

• evilbunnie
    15 years ago

I love the range and the cabinet and counter choices. I'm iffy on the floor, just because I fear the black and white will get strobe-y -- okay, and here I say it -- might look cheap. There's just too many black and white vinyl floors out there, and you don't want to look 50's diner-ish. The reclaimed encaustics would be totally original, noone would have those. Also, what about an unglazed porcelain mosaic tile -- you can have them custom mounted in your pattern and colors by American Restoration Tile. Might get you to that french restaurant kitchen feel without the 50's diner/vinyl floor associations.

Here is a link that might be useful: Custom unglazed porcelain mosaic tile

• cheri127
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Evilbunnie (love the name): I have seen American Restoration Tile and while I think they're really pretty, when I've seen that style in public places, the grout always looks gross. I have 2" mosaic, 2" hex and 1" penny round tiles in my bathrooms and the grout is impossible for me to keep really clean looking (just can't bring myself to do the toothbrush thing LOL) so I worry about all that grout in the kitchen.

In person the black and white really doesn't look cheap (it's unglazed porcelain and very matte) but is it the right style? Maybe I'll post this over in decorating and see what they say. Thanks.

• cheri127
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Another idea I had considered was a painted checkerboard. Any thoughts?

• phaze
    15 years ago

cheril27

I think your choice of range,cabinets and stove are great together. I especially love the dark cabinets and wood grains.

Is your floor going to be the focal point of the room? That checkered pattern will certainly draw the eye to the floor.

If you wanted to tone it down a bit but still keep the darker tiles you could do something like this. (I know this is not the right room but you get the idea)

{{!gwi}}

My husband and I had very different ideas about the backsplash for our new kitchen. We both agreed the make the granite the Wow factor. (we were spending lots more for it) The backsplashes he liked were beautiful but really drew your eye. When I was trying to get him to see my idea was the right one ;-) I walked him into lots of model kitchens and asked what he saw first and what stood out. It was amazing how just one element can change the focal point.

What are you going to do with your backsplash and paint choices?

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

cheril,
    i LOVE the recovered tile and yes, it is busy, because the colors are all in the same tonal range, to me, it is less busy than the black and white. I can only imagine how unique, special and amazing your kitchen would be with that on the floor... it really is TDF (your kitchen will be amazing even without though - I put some Edwardian elements into my home as well... I am much more drawn to Edwardian than Victorian).

I am a little bothered by the black and white tile. It looks so "new" and sort of bland for its newness. I wish there'd be a way to add some patina.

I think the border on your inspiration photo really elevates it, and also that the colors seem a little more muted than your black and white tiles.

The painted floor is really nice but I think would not be a good choice for a busy kitchen (unless there is some way to protect it that I don't know about). We painted the floors in our third floor and even though the floors don't get a lot of use, they take abuse really easily and show everything.

Maybe you could do the encaustic in the middle/aisles and have the border made up to match but in a solid color.

• cheri127
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh Phaze...I'm not even going to think about the backsplash till next year. The last time I remodeled my kitchen, I waited almost a year to do the backsplash and it was much better for me in terms of deciding what I wanted and spreading out the costs. My rangehood is pushing me over the edge so the backsplash can wait.

Interesting point about the checkerboard drawing the eye to the floor. Hmmmmmmmmm.......

• phaze
    15 years ago

IMHO the checkerboard floors in the modern, monochrome type kitchens add that punch of interest. In a hall or foyer, with little or no furniture, it really makes a statement. In a kitchen rich with colors and textures it might get to busy.

• budge1
    15 years ago

I love the checkerboard, but one thing I've learned is that people either love it or hate it - sort of like white subway tile.

When we were looking at houses, I took my MIL in to look at a house with checkerboard floors in the kitchen and in the same breath we both said "oh, I love/hate the floor!" I think it suits your other elements and if you like it, go for it.

• kimkitchy
    15 years ago

I do like checker board floors. Perhaps my monitor is not "reading" the colors correctly, but it looks like your inspiration tile might be brown and white? Anyway (even if I'm wrong), it gave me the idea that an off-white and dark rich brown checker board floor might be nice too. It would still lighten up the look, but might not be so "harsh" (as someone described it). It would tie-in with the cabinets instead of the stove and countertop. Just a thought.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

We had a black and white checkerboard floor in our kitchen / dining area in one home. As has been said, I loved and hated that floor. If you think wood is a nightmare to clean, just wait until you have a grouted black and white floor. It will NEVER look clean. Ever.

It does look good with your other elements. I do have to say that that pic of the reclaimed encaustics have me drooling. I'd go for that in a heartbeat.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I like the checkerboard, and I like the 'almost black', but the white seems stark to me with the beautiful and rich darker wood stain. I would like to see something warmer/browner mixed with the dark gray tiles that connects more to the brown. Cream might work or something a bit deeper.

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

Oooh, that mamadadapaige is so smart! As I was reading through this thread and enjoying every photo my first thought (at the reclaimed encaustics) was "wonderful!" and then I saw your inspiration and I thought "fabulous!" and then I saw your proposed tile and it left me a little flat. My initial thought was that the white and charcoal simply have too much contrast, while the tile colors in your inspiration photo don't contrast too much -- a la Goldilocks, they're "just right." Instead of charcoal / white could you do rust / cream tiles, being really true to the inspiration photo?

I think what my eye was drawn to in the inspiration photo was the border, or rather how the border fixed the look, the way a picture sings when it's been appropriately matted and framed.

Anyway, mamadadapaige said it much better (and sooner) than I, but I guess I still wanted to say "me too!"

You have such incredible materials in that kitchen (that quartersawn oak is so yummy!) -- I'll be looking for more pictures from you.

• flseadog
    15 years ago

Have to agree with rmkitchen that the border makes a difference. Also, it seems that the size of the tile in your inspiration picture is smaller than what you intend to use. I only skimmed through a lot of the above, but have you considered a smaller tile?

• lascatx
    15 years ago

I'm not sure about the floor, but love the other elements. I do like it better with the border, but if it were my kitchen, I'd be looking at something like the French tiles. Those grabbed me. The hex tiles and wood would be behind those.

• stiles
    15 years ago

You have fabulous materials that I believe are more traditional in flavor and a black and white floor reminds me of a more contemporary feel. Though I know it dates back through history. I really like mamadadapaige's inspiration photo due to the warm tones on the floor. I believe you should consider warming up the color on the floor as others have said.

Also, my girlfriend did wood painted floors with checkerboard and they are splitting and showing wear quite soon.

No matter what you decide, you are working with beautiful material! Enjoy.

• cheri127
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for all of the thoughtful and useful input. I got lots of feedback in decorating too and it's all along the same lines...very interesting. I'm going to look into less stark colors for the tile. I really want the wood of the cabinets to be the wow factor in this kitchen and as others have pointed out, the black and white tile may be too much of a distraction. And then there's the cleaning part...ugh!

Instead of having a complete meltdown, I went out for some wine with a friend and thought that maybe a wood floor wouldn't be so bad after all depending on how it's done. I could do natural white oak in the DR and kitchen but include a dark inlaid border that would break it up and make it a bit more formal so it wouldn't look arts and crafts. What do you think? Thanks again everyone for taking the time to help me with this. I was really at my wits end earlier today.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

I think that sounds like an awesome idea. Of course, I'm a huge fan of wood floors so I (almost) always vote for them.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor