Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krycek1984

hickory non-rustic

krycek1984
11 years ago

We are in the beginning process of renovating our home. We have chosen a few species of wood for cabinets and I'm going crazy!

I absolutely love the hickory cabinets that kraftmaid has, but we are not doing a rustic kitchen. Does anyone here have hickory in a non rustic kitchen? We of course could stain it darker to mute the tones, but then you start losing that uniqueness.

We also love the quarter sawn oak. I love the grain, I'm a little concerned it will look too uniform or formal but I do love it. We would stain that fairly dark. We do prefer wood with movement and variation, definitely not into maple..

We are going back and forth between wood laminate floors and slate floors, and countertops will be chosen once we choose the floor and cabinets.

What do you all think about a hickory cabinet ina non rustic kitchen. I think maybe the natural movement and variation of the slate would go well with the hickory. Likewise, the wood laminate may go best with the quarter sawn oak.

Comments (5)

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

Hickory can make a beautiful kitchen. However, KM hickory is a bit more rustic than you actually sound like you want. You should find a maker who uses something like select hickory or pecan. The two are completely interchangeable grainwise. Try Dynasty for that. Quartersawn oak is also beautiful, but if you plan on going dark, you lose the grain that makes it so special. Keep it medium to light if you choose it, or you're wasting money on the upgrade and might as well choose plainsawn oak.

The other thing is that laminate is NOT wood. It's plastic over a paper picture of wood on MDF. The MDF is the only wood product in it. Once it scratches, it's ruined and cannot be repaired. It's also not the best choice for a kitchen unless you do a glue together installation to keep the moisture out of the seams. You can usually buy a medium grade wood for the same amount that a higher grade laminate will cost you, and at least with real wood, it can be refinished if it becomes damaged.

Slate would also be a good choice but be careful of the source. Box store slate can have as high as a 50% cull rate so it actually ends up costing as much as a more premium slate from another better quality flooring supplier.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Slate and hickory! That sounds beautiful. What style are the cabinets? The style will make all the difference. I would try to choose a counter top at the same time to make sure it all works together.

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

I think Hickory cabinetry is always going to be a bit on the rustic side, but what you put with it can make it less rustic. Since you were thinking of a dark stain, why not do a dark stain on cherry with hickory floors.

Found theses hickory pics on Houzz:

[Contemporary Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103) by Chicago General Contractor Mark Hickman Homes

[Traditional Bathroom design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by Sacramento Kitchen And Bath Fixtures Floor To Ceiling

• joyce_6333
    11 years ago

I've had QS oak, hickory, and premium hickory. Really liked them all.

Our current kitchen is premium hickory with a chestnut stain. It's a medium dark stain, and it is nice. If you want the grain to be quite pronounced, you may not like the premium hickory. The floors are character hickory with clear coat (no stain).

Our previous home had QS oak that was stained fruitwood color, a medium stain, and it was gorgeous. I spent quite a bit of time with the cabinet maker, and our painter, to come up with just the right color stain I wanted. A good cabinet maker will work with you, and will even have SW or BM custom mix a stain that you like.

I love the hickory we currently have, but kind of wish I'd gone with the QS again. I love QS in a darker stain. If done right, it doesn't lose the grain definition at all. In fact, I think if it's too light, the grain isn't accented enough. Our old house also had all QS floors and woodwork, and it was a medium dark color. Oh, my it was pretty. while working with our cabinetmaker, he was also doing some cabinets in QS with a very dark/reddish stain, and they were absolutely dynamite. Much antique furniture is QS oak, and stained (or aged) very dark. Beautiful.

• krycek1984
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the responses!

It turns out the other half isn't so hot to trot for the hickory cabinets...I was thinking a medium light hickory cabinet with a black galaxy counter and slate floors. I don't think he cared for that.

I think I got him to like the quartersawn oak...he likes a more consistent wood and i like lots of movement and the natural look. A quartersawn oak in a darker stain looks nice - it does hide some of the markings but the beautiful and unique grain still does show through/give an interesting texture. So we may go with that, and then either White Springs Granite/Stellar Snow quartz, and a hickory floor stained in something light but warm.

Don't you just hate it when the other half doesn't agree with an obviously correct opinion :)

Custom cabinets are a little out of our price range unfortunately, we got a quote from Kraftmaid for 5200 for hickory shaker (9.5x15 kitchen with 10 cabinets).