Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
psyohe

Sea Pearl needs a backsplash II

Peke
10 years ago

Has anyone heard of mytilebacksplash? I found some pretty crackle tiles online. I don't know what they look like IRL, but they are gorgeous on the website. They buy from several different tile companies.

This one is called Medici Mosaics Bellini glass... color Glacier.

I think this one might work. What do you guys think?

Comments (150)

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Please don't let there be a "Sea Pearl needs a backsplash III." I hate being so indecisive! LOL

Two new tiles today. I put them with Cirrus and Aquarius(not a crackle).
    I think one of the four might work. But I will be on the road tomorrow to pick up encore samples.
    Will post when I get back home.
    Left to right...
    Aquarius, Cirrus, Woodward, Washington. Woodward may be too beige. Woodward and Washington are from McIntones Ceramics-Legacy Series. The crackle is so much prettier than on the other two.

When I look at this picture I can see aqua tones. Maybe it is mint tones instead. I swear my eyes are getting bad. Either that or GW changed the web site. Since today I have to enlarge the posts to be able to read them. Did GW change?

• romy718
    10 years ago

Peke, good luck tomorrow. Be sure & look at Celery. Strange name for it as it is not at all green like the vegetable, but a pretty aqua. It may be too much color, but take a look. The Bali & Ice have been propped against my counters all week.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the Encore silver. Looks dark beige.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Encore mint. Tan with green tones.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Encore Ice

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Encore Celery. Green with beige

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Encore Cashmere. Cream and green which is much better than beige and green. This one has possibilities.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Encore Moonlight. Cream.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Encore Storm. Green, but looks gray here.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Encore Stream. olive... yellow green

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Encore Bali.I need to paint the wall. I like the right tile better, but I know I will get a mixture.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Encore Sky. Looks cream and gray-green. Another possibility.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Encore Lagoon. IRL it works with the green in the counter, but geez, what color would I paint the wall??????

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Encore Riviera.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Encore Slate. Slate was the prettiest with Sea Pearl. Green-gray in the middle of the tile with blue.

But again.... what color would I paint my walls?

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Potomac. Tile design guy liked this one. At the store it was perfect... with my unsealed piece of slab.

The large tile is growing on me!

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yukon. There were four colors that were so close. I could only tell these two apart.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yukon and Potomac.

All pictures were taken at night. Will take more pictures in the morning to compare.

• romy718
    10 years ago

One thing to think about when you are envisioning these tiles is how much the grout is going to change the look, in a good way. This is Marthastoo "Mint".

• romy718
    10 years ago

Here's another pic of Marthastoo. I had a hard time envisioning what theb grout was going to do to the tile. Totally lighteded up the look.

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

Your Encore tiles look dark in the pictures. I had same problem when trying to show them to you. For example, the Ice is practically white, and Mint and Celery are paler than shown.

• homebuyer23
    10 years ago

I like Storm & Cashmere, and I actually like the Lagoon too, plays up the green & looks pretty w your cabinets and is a nice contrast with the counters. I guess you could just paint a neutral cream wall color.

I love the encore tiles!!

• romy718
    10 years ago

Okay, I'm adding on a few pics to this post. I realized that except for that really dark picture in Sea Pearl 1, there are no pics of your kitchen. The pics that really show off the beauty of your cabinets are before the Sea Pearl was installed. I also am posting a couple of the Sea Pearl.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Peke, your cabinets are beautiful & I love the light floors

• romy718
    10 years ago

How cool are these ovens. Gorgeous wood! Love the pulls.

This post was edited by romy718 on Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 13:08

• romy718
    10 years ago

Seapearl on island

• romy718
    10 years ago

New Sea Pearl on perimeters. Okay Peke, we're ready.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

The kitchen certainly doesn't lack interest that needs to be compensated for with accent tile, fancy tile, or more color. The same tone of crackle accent just disappears in the crackle subways, so it wouldn't be worth the expense to me. Any ceramic tile that matched the lighter cream or gray tones of the counter would probably work fine. Not sure what more I can add, but I'll stick around for Part III. ;)

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lcskaisgir, as you said, the gray with blue or green tones work.

Bookworm, I love your floor. I wish I had a room to put it in. The tiles look darker for sure. This time I picked tiles that I didn't think would work. LOL

Homebuyer, I think I like them too. We started out looking for a cream color that didn't look yellow or too tan.

Romy, thank you. I guess I should have added them. III here we come! Here are some more.
    May_flowers, I have seen some light countertops with plain subway tile, and all I can see is the subway tile. It is so plain by itself. I don't want it to be flashier than the sea pearl, but I don't want it to be plain either. I think the crackle tiles will be my choice, for sure.

Oh that horribly ugly floor! It will have to wait. Shoot, I still haven't stained my new oak stairs. Well, they have been in over a year and are still covered with brown paper. We are afraid we'll screw them up. LOL We finally took the plastic off the fridge and freezer.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Eventually we want to get a table made for the other side of the island sort of like in this picture.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I meant the crushed glass doesn't stand out enough to make it worth the expense. I called it crackle by mistake. I like the crackle tile.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What do you think about the size of these tiles? I think they are 4x12. Too contemporary? I was planning on putting stainless steel behind the rangetop, but there is the problem of how wide to make it. 36" like the range or 42" like the hood. It would be easier to use tile.

I really don't want to clean the grout and tile behind the rangetop every time I cook...I am such a messy cook. My mom used to have those plastic covers on her couch when I was little. That is what I need for the backsplash when I cook! LOL.

Maybe I can put glass there, but I would have to figure out how to trim it out next to the tile.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are the tiles during the day.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like these tiles.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just playing. Not fond of the celery.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Love Riviera. It doesn't have much color variations like the Bali does. The two Bali tiles look totally different.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love these two together.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Still like the Riviera. Bali tiles are very different. The Bali on the right is perfect though.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like these two together.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Riviera and sky

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Riviera, Moonlight, and Cashmere. Square tiles remind me of a bathroom with these colors. I like the Riviera and Cashmere together. A lighter version of Lagoon and Slate.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

May_flowers, it is confusing. Some companies call them crackle glass.

If I go with a light gray or cream tile, I am not sure how I would get a blue green paint color to complement.

If I go with a blue green tile, I can go with a cream color paint, but the rest of the area would be cream, brown, and light blond oak. Boring! Save that for if we ever sell!

I will try putting paint with the tiles to see what I come up with.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Peke, you will get a beautiful look with just one color of the crackle. My silver has about 4-5 different tiles within the mix of them, having plenty enough interest. If you start mixing more than one color together (unless it's a mosaic), it's going to be crazy. I know cuz I wanted to mix some blues in with the silver & both my KD & the tile sales girl said NO. I can see now that it would have ruined the mix. It ends up all blending together & creating a beautiful, interesting look with depth (and sparkle when you get close). Not a busy look. It all blends. I like the Riviera better than the Bali. Sounds like you do too. That's one eliminated. You don't like the celery (the description has yellow sage in it). Two gone. The Moonlight isn't doing much for the Sea Pearl & I'm guessing the Ice isn't either? The Storm is going to give you the most variation, the 5th on the left side of the tile board. My tiles sat on my counter for 6 weeks because I thought they were too taupey & I wanted some blue. Once they were up & grouted, a totally different look. Like Bookworm said, you just have to pick. I think you now have the largest collection of Encore samples on Gardenweb. I love crackle tiles. If Seapearl's tile isn't in this bunch, there are more manufacturers of beautiful crackle. Here the level of variation in your samples:
    Ice -minimum variation
    Moonlight-moderate
    Sky- minimum to moderate
    Bali - moderate
    Riviera - moderate
    Mint - moderate
    Celery- minimum to moderate
    Cashmere- moderate to high
    Lagoon-moderate
    Slate-moderate to high
    Storm-high
    Stream- high
    Cameo (bookworm's) - moderate
    Silver- (mine) - moderate

This post was edited by romy718 on Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 13:35

• gr8daygw
    10 years ago

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Chicago Photographers Marcel Page Photography

I am loving this look and the lighter tiles you are looking at in this color vein. It flows so beautifully and would provide many options in the future rather than going with a color. I think the sparkly tiles will date themselves eventually as much as I do love them. I could be wrongâ¦I often am!!!

• gr8daygw
    10 years ago

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Edina General Contractors John Kraemer & Sons
    Everyone must put a red plate on their counter. I love how it looks like a big red American Beauty Rose in full bloom.

• msrose
    10 years ago

If my monitor is accurate, I'm liking Riviera also.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This morning Sky is in the lead. Riviera, then Bali. Riviera looks good during the day, but not at night.

I am going to keep them up on the wall for a while. I will have to ask the guy if he gave me his only two samples of each though.

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

Finally!!!

Way back, I couldn't decide between Cameo and Mint. when I had KD join me at tile shop, he asked about mixing them, "NO!" cried the saleswoman. "You will have enough subtle variation as it is."

She was correct. I listened to them, and went with the paler one.

I'm liking the Bali. I have to go back to files to find the names behind the colors. For example, the top right is what? and the one below, what? (I think that is silver)

Are you getting them square, or the large rectangle?

• romy718
    10 years ago

The top right is Bali. The one below Bali is Riviera. Peke, did you get a blue/green & a dark grey tile with the Storm? I thought you might like that one because the blue/green kind of reminded me of Cashmere & some of the aqua sparkly accent tiles you liked.
    Here's a pick of a couple of rows of Sky I found. Very pretty.
    Peke, email me if you want me to send my two pieces of Bali?
    What's wrong with the Riviera at night? It doesn't need to match the Sea Pearl, just blend. And it's all going to look so different upright & grouted. The grout (light grout) will lighten the look & highlight the variations.

This post was edited by romy718 on Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 0:16

• romy718
    10 years ago

Here's a pic of Cerulean & Bali. Cerulean in the frame & the subway tiles are Bali.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022