Return to the Kitchens Forum

o
Sea Pearl needs a backsplash II

Posted by Peke (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 23:01

Has anyone heard of mytilebacksplash? I found some pretty crackle tiles online. I don't know what they look like IRL, but they are gorgeous on the website. They buy from several different tile companies.

This one is called Medici Mosaics Bellini glass... color Glacier.

I think this one might work. What do you guys think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sea Pearl needs a backsplash II

Supreme subway -grays.

I think it would be too big of a tile.

o

Love the Glacier in your first pic. Can you order a sample?

o

Cadet.

You should see their other blues. Reds, beige, emerald green, OH MY!

And their metals!

They even have light switch covers made out of stone.

o

Medici glacier again. 2x6 Too bad it is $9.50per tile. Ouch!
I think Medici Mosaics makes it.

o

I have to look at this one in person. It may not work, but I have to see it. It is called Dusk from Bella Glass Tiles.

The first Medici I posted is 2"x2" and $3.00 per 2x2 tile. Another ouch!

o

Another Medici Glacier. $54.00 per sheet. I don't like little tiles, but it pretty.

o

There are three colors of glass tiles that are very close in color, but pale gray, pale blue, off white, and pale green. If I can find a matte, I wonder if I could use mostly gray and/or off white, then a few of the blue and green thrown in.

Supreme Glass Tiles 3x6 at $1.85 each tile. 8 tiles make a sq ft. Easier on the budget.

o

Ocean Spray.

o

I think this subway is Sky by Supreme Glass. It is very close to Ocean Spray which is by Bella Glass. The light gray is called Fog. I think the previous unnamed tile is called Morning Mist.

o

Here is a link that shows the colors and brands.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bella Glass Tiles

o

Medici

Here is a link that might be useful: Medici

o

The colors on this link are amazing. I am not sure I like the white edges though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Noble Glass

o

What about the off white or pale gray tile with one row of pale green or blue or both? Like this picture. Or maybe put the blue in a separate line up higher and the green in the middle?

This picture is a close up of Medici's Bellini.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bella Glass Tiles

o

The Cadet was there then it wasn't. So here it is again.

o

I couldn't find any tile stores that sell Noble, Bella, or Medici in my area. It looks like they are only sold online.

o

I put some tiles together in a pattern to see if anyone thinks they might work. The blue and green tiles are not the right colors, but I just need to see if the patterns will work.

Gray 4x6. Blue 2x4.
So here are the pictures... thanks! Peke

o

Several patterns.

o

This is the blue tile.

o

Two patterns.

Top- gray is 4x6 and blue and green tiles are 1x6.
Bottom- left - 3x3 blue suede shoes and Sea Monkey
Bottom right- 3x3 moonstone blue and serpentine.
gray is 4x6 Slinky.

I put a 3x3 gray tile in between the left and right side.

o

Top - 2x8 moonstone and serpentine.
Bottom - 2x4 ocean air and blue haze.

Gray- 4x6 Slinky.

o

Top -4x6 It's a Boy and Sea Monkey.

Bottom - 4x6 A Day at the Beach and Blue Suede Shoes

I just realized I didn't stagger the last row of gray.

o

Regarding the pattern samples, I like the one that has the narrow row of blue & green tiles (4x6 & 1x6). My personal preference would be to get a crackle tile that had subtle color variation from tile to tile. I'm curious to see if you'll fall in love with something when you go tile shopping next week.
I'm not saying you shouldn't look online but I spent (wasted) SO much time looking at backsplash tile online. Everything looked totally different in person.

o

Top 2x2 Blue Glacier

Bottom 2x2 Oasis then Waterfall.

o

Gray 3x6 Slinky

Top 2x8 Serpentine

Bottom - 2x8 Moonstone

I think they need to be the same length.

o

Gray 3x6 Slinky

Top 3x6 It's a Boy.

Bottom - 3x6 Sea Monkey

I know most of the colors won't work, but how about the tile placement and sizes?

I think it will help me get a gray backsplash tile to match, plus I can still add a little color so I can get a paint color other than gray.

Am I on the right path? Peke

o

Romy, I have driven 2 hours to see a tile that didn't work. 😊. So I am making a list of the companies and the tiles they have in stock. If they have to order a sample, I will go back later.

I like the 1x6 tiles too. But I like the 2x2 tiles also. I don't think I like the last picture with all the tiles the same size.

I hope the gray tile (Slinky) works.

I love the backsplash program I found today. It sure helps!
Peke

o

On the board posted at 1:41 I really like the top left pattern so much. that looks great, it's subtle and a good use of all the colors you like. You could even do that above the range or cooktop vertically and then a horizontal pattern around the perimeter if your room is set up that way. Not sure how your kitchen is configured to know if that is even feasible. Gorgeous choices!

o

I love that Medici glacier! The 2x6 one looks much lighter than the sheet of smaller ones. Those are the same color?

o

I really, really like the Medici. I say order a sample. It may be the one!

o

I prefer the narrow rectangular accent tiles. I think some of these feel like they belong in a bathroom, especially the small squares.

I wonder if it might be good to use a larger stacked field tile to keep the patterns quieter against your oak.

I think this one is 4 x 8. I like the tone-on-tone of the glass accent with the slightly linear texture of the matte tile.

o

I also fell in love with this tile, acorn and aubergine colors. Didn't end up using them because of reasons too boring to discuss here, but my word of warning to you is to make sure you order a current sample from the available current lot. There is a huge variation in the colors from different lots. My store sample of the acorn was a beautiful light, creamy ivory-ish color. The sample from their current lot had definite peach undertones...still beautiful but a total clash with what I was doing. The aubergine sample looked brown, while the current lot was purplish. I wish you luck. I'm thinking your grey may possibly have blue or green undertones. This is a gorgeous tile and I still wish I could have used it.

o

This probably doesn't matter to anyone, but I went to Peke's website and realized my second tile was praline, not aubergine...seeing those pics makes me wish even more I could have used it. Maybe on the next project!

o

I also fell in love with this tile, acorn and aubergine colors. Didn't end up using them because of reasons too boring to discuss here, but my word of warning to you is to make sure you order a current sample from the available current lot. There is a huge variation in the colors from different lots. My store sample of the acorn was a beautiful light, creamy ivory-ish color. The sample from their current lot had definite peach undertones...still beautiful but a total clash with what I was doing. The aubergine sample looked brown, while the current lot was purplish. I wish you luck. I'm thinking your grey may possibly have blue or green undertones. This is a gorgeous tile and I still wish I could have used it.

o

I also like the glass subway tiles if any of them are the right color.

o

I also think a matte glass subway will give you the look you want. I had to buy my tiles online, so I went with glasstilestore. They have some blue and gray subway, but are limited in their color choices. The Ann Sacks Lucian line is budget priced, with nice color options.

o

Gr8day, I like it too. I will have to continue the pattern on the program and post a bigger picture. We originally were going to put stainless steel behind the rangetop so it would be easier to clean. Not sure what we are doing now.

lcskaisgir, I will try to find other pictures, but they are the same. The larger tiles do look much lighter. That's why I like the larger ones.

MSRose, I am going to try to find it locally, but will try to find the best price online.

May_flowers, do you mean the 1" x 6" tiles? I thought about going larger, but I was told it was more contemporary. I am not sure about stacked though. I like the look of the matte tile with just a Fingbit of shiny glass.

FingNugSnug, first off you have to find the post about screen names! Yours needs to be added! I didn't even think about buying from different lots. It would be easier if I could find the tile locally in case I have to return it. I am hoping the gray tiles have green and blue tones.

Now if I can just afford the glass crackle tiles! Maybe as an accent only with a lower priced gray tile.

Annalyn123, I have bought 20 samples from glasstilestore. So far none have worked. I have 5 more to try, then I am out of colors. Some of their grays are more beige.I checked out Ann Sacks early on, but they might have some new ones I haven't seen.

Snow and ice are coming my way tonight and tomorrow so the tile stores may have to wait until Tuesday or Wednesday.

Here is a link that might be useful: OK, tell me about your name ll

o

This tile is called Palladium. It is listed as gray.

o

Palladium 2x2 mosaic.

o

Glass crackle tile all colors

o

These are the grays.

o

I second the advice to get a sample from the current lot.

I ordered based on a display board and was so disappointed at how different it was in person. Even though it was a 'special order' the local store was gracious and took it back because they could see the difference from the sample as well.

The other piece of advice is to double and triple check the return / restocking policy so you don't get stuck with something that won't work.

o

Peke, thanks for the link. So cool to see the stories behind screen names. I posted about mine too:) I'm not sure what kind of project you are planning to do, but I understand about the cost of those Medici tiles. After realizing how expensive they were, I had decided to use them as an accent strip around the perimeter of my kitchen, and also as an accent in the 'picture frame' over the cooktop. Another thought was to use the diamond shaped harlequin tiles as the main tile inside the picture frame. I think that would have been the most beautiful!

o

I am in the Buffalo NY area. On the slim chance that you are nearby, I could tell you where to find them.

o

Bellini consists of a stoneware body. The water absorption for this material is 3-5%. Bellini is recommended for interior wall and backsplash applications.

Installation: Bellini glass should be sealed with a penetrating tile sealer prior to grouting. Once the glass is grouted, tiles can be cleaned with water and a mild glass cleaner.

Cutting: A wet tile saw with a diamond blade is recommended for cutting Bellini glass. Safety eye protection should be worn when cutting this product due to the jagged nature of the edges once they are cut.

Shade Variation: Crackled glass has extreme color and shade variation. The variation is created in the cavity of the tile pieces. This quality is considered beautiful and adds depth to the look of the tiles.

http://www.houzz.com/photos/1839296/Buffalo-Waterfront-Condo-traditional-kitchen-other-metro

And this one has the Labradite Supreme that I couldn't afford with the Medici Glacier!
http://www.houzz.com/photos/1839288/Buffalo-Waterfront-Condo-traditional-kitchen-other-metro

o

Moffett, I will order a sample this week. Do I just ask them for "new sample" from the current lot? Do they special order it from the factory that makes them? Once I get the sample, I guess I need to order tiles from that lot, correct? I had better start figuring out how many I need in case the sample is good. I guess I should order at least 10% more for breakage.

FingNugSnug, I think I saw a kitchen on Houzz like the harlequin design. It was light gold or yellow, I think. It was beautiful. I am leaning towards stainless steel behind the rangetop just because it is so easy to clean. I am from Oklahoma, alas. I have only been to New York while waiting for a plane. One day I will get there!

Sleet hit today. I can't get up my driveway to the road. Wednesday it should be all melted so I can shop for tile. Peke

o

I went searching for tiles today. I got samples of Sonoma and Crossville tiles. I like the Aquarius, Damask, Wedgwood, and Cirrus. The Willow is sort of yellow green.
These are Sonoma Stellar.

o

Sonoma Stellar. Same picture up close.

o

These are the same colors, but the left is glossy and the right is matte. Crossville tile.

The glossy looks green IRL and the matte looks blue IRL.

o

Crossville tiles. Light gray. Once again, the glossy looks darker.

I really like these, but not the size. I think I want 3x6. As you can see, there won't be much tile under the window. The window is 4' wide. I would only need one row of tile if I use the 4x8. I have Sea Pearl for the window sill, but there will be trim under the window sill/ above the tile. That doesn't leave much room for tile.

o

Crossville tile. Medium gray. Looks tan in my house. Glossy is on the right.

o

Sonoma Stellar. Ignore the medallion one.

I love the Aegean color. The dusk is pretty too, but too dark.

The Bossy Gray is light gray, but also looks light beige. It looks like it will work though.

o

Sonoma Mo Supreme.

Waterfall is gorgeous!

o

Crossville tiles. Aloe is light green. Spa is blue-gray. I think Spa looks like Waterfall. Love it.

I am ordering the Medici Bellini tile. I think it might be prettier than these.

o

Hi Peke, the Crossville 6th sense looks good against the Sea Pearl. I remember that you had picked out a paint color that it would work with.
Do you have samples of the Bossy Gray?
What about the 3x6 Slinky? Did you ever get a sample of that?

o

I also think 6th Sense is the best match. Could you run the tile vertically at the counter for a better fit under the window, then your accent row, and then horizontal the rest of the way? I think the 4 x 8 is a good compromise between your traditional and modern elements.

o

OMG! How will you ever pick just one. I love the color of Sonoma Mo Supreme Waterfall and Crossville Spa.

o

Okay, totally forgot about the accent tile. I know you are waiting for the Bellini sample but in the meantime you could treat us to pictures of the field tile
(? 6th Sense) with individual accent tiles.

o

Romy, the Bossy Gray is in one of the pictures, but it looks beige. I liked the Slinky, but they don't come in 3x6 subways.

IRL I like Aquarius, Cirrus, and Damask which are greener than they appear in picks, but sixth sense is very close to perfect. When the Medici Bellini glacier arrives I hope it works with it.

May_flower, I don't think there will be a problem with running it horizontally. I think the oak trim will fit it perfectly with one tile.

So with my traditional sort of transitional sort of hodge-podge kitchen..... honed quartzite... with glossy or matte subway? With the sparkly Waterfall or Spa or Medici pieces being the only gloss?

I think I like the center tile best of all in this picture. Cirrus crackle.

o

MSRose, I think I could glue the waterfall sample on my left shoe and the Spa sample on my right. Then I could see them everywhere I go. I live those colors. You should see the blues, golds, and reds of Noble Glass ands Stone glass crackle tiles. Unbelievable colors.

The previous picture has sixth sense tiles too. Very tan.
In this picture everything looks tan. The edges of those glass accent tiles are gray.

o

This is a small area on my island. It is almost an olive color in that one spot. Most of the island is not that color, but you can really see the green tones. Others veins look almost evergreen color. The tile is Damask.

o

Cirrus looks good.

o

Willow

o

Wedgewood

o

Sixth sense.

Drives me crazy about the tiles' colors based on what time of day it is. These were taken at night.

Ok so if I have honed countertops should I use...
1. Matte subway tiles with glossy accent tiles?
2. Glossy subway tiles with glossy accent tiles
3. Matte tiles and matte accent tiles.
4. Just give up and paint the backsplash every time I make spaghetti sauce.

I am leaning towards #4. LOL

o

I wouldn't take the risk of the dark colors. Are you sure 6th Sense doesn't have any purple undertones?

Since the sparkly accents match the mysterious color of the counter, I like the idea of using cream (Cirrus?) and letting the accent tie it all together. Can you show me Cirrus with the sparklies?

Do you have any photos of backsplashes using the sparkly accents? I'm not sure I like a whole row of them, but how else would you incorporate them?

o

Have you considered using rows of the stick tile instead of the little squares?

o

I like the sticks better than the squares. I also found a thread where the 1 x 2's were used with subways. It's probably a more traditional look and might show off more of the crushed glass than the sticks.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1 x 2's

o

May_flowers, I don't think there is any purple in it.

I was thinking of using a 5/8 x 6 or a 2x6 but the only samples they had were the squares.

Romy, I like the look of that picture, except with fewer sparkly tiles.

Here is a picture with the flash on. Very blue sparkle tile.

o

Yes, I agree. That's too many rows of the stick tile. I think your getting close & possibly won't have to go to Part 3. Kidding! We'll happily participate in Part 3.

o

Left to right. Spa, Cirrus, Aloe, Aquarius, Seagrass, Damask.

o

Same order.

o

Another angle.

o

With the flash on.

o

Another with the flash on.

o

Crystal gray/green 2x4. From Terra Tile and Marble.

o

I sort of like how they used the glass tile vertically.

o

That last one is pretty too! What happened to waterfall? Is it out of the running?

o

Sea Grass isn't doing much for the counter.

The last one is very pretty. I prefer the greens over the blues.

o

The crystal gray green from Terra Tile & Marble is very pretty. It's a little more subtle & less sparkly looking. I also like the white edges of the tile.

o

I like the cream, and would rule out large tile on right.

I wanted an accent tile too, but both KD & tile saleswoman told me to stick to just the crackle. Then I wanted the darker crackle (Encore Mint, which I still think would look great with sea pearl), which had more color variation. I ended up with the cream, and it is fine. The hardest part for me was settling on just one choice, when there are so many wonderful options.

Just make sure there is enough contrast between sea pearl and tile. I like the crystal gray/green, but not be enough contrast.

o

I think waterfall is the same as Spa. Seagrass looks tan in the pics.

I am frustrated beyond belief. I don't have UCLs yet which would be a big help in figuring out the right color tile to choose. Can't get the electrician for another 5 or 6 months. (long story)

I think I need an entire box of tiles side by side against my countertop. Such a small sample doesn't help. I am painting the wall white tomorrow to see if that helps.

Bookworm, what do you mean "enough contrast"? I know what contrast means, but is there a "rule" for deciding when you have enough contrast? I haven't tried the Mint yet. I choose colors that I think will work (fluorescent lights in the stores). Then when I get home, gray turns to brown or tan and green turns bluer.

I think that streak of green is throwing everything off. It overpowers the gray. I wish they had used the right sealer on it when they had to replace the perimeter Sea Pearl. I think they also used a cheaper Sea Pearl.... not the second slab of Sea Pearl I had on hold.

It doesn't look the same as when I bought it.

o

There are crackle tiles & then there are crackle tiles with color variation from tile to tile & even within each tile. Some of the tiles in this pic have color pooling at the edges & the tile color and intensity of color pooling vary from tile to tile.
The crackles that are a consistent color from tile to tile will work best with your accent tiles.
I'm not sure you want a tile with a lot of color variation because your cabinets have a wood pattern. The amount of variation, on some tile sites, is rated - V0, no variation to V4, a lot of variation.
Edit: just went back & looked at "Sea Pearl needs a backsplash, Part I. Attaching the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sea Pearl needs a backsplash, Part 1

This post was edited by romy718 on Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 12:36

o

Kalapointer's Pratt & Larson, Watercolor Line have contrast or color variation from tile to tile.

o

Roomy, I love the tiles in the first picture. They go well with the countertop in that picture, but those are white cabinets.

So would you say the first picture is maybe a variation of 1 and the second is a variation of 2 or 3? I liked kalapointer's in SP I, but thought it was too much variation. I guess it works for her because her cabinets don't have the oak grains like mine?

I guess the main problem is that I hate the green color that is showing on my sea pearl now that the sealer is on it, plus it is a different piece of sea pearl. I called the two slab places where I saw sea pearl. Fabricator did not buy the one I had chosen when he had to redo the perimeter counter.

Sorry for being so forgetful too. I should go back to my original SPI post. My Narcolepsy is getting really bad. Meds are no longer working. It's like really bad A.D.D. By the time I finish reading a paragraph, I have already forgotten the first sentence.

I wish I had more selection of tiles where I live.

Romy, so I can't use tiles with ANY variation? Or even tiles like in the first picture? What about the very light ones in this sample board?

One of the tile stores ordered samples for me so I will try them when they come in.
Thanks again for your help! (and patience.) Peke.

o

Just another opinion here...I would go with a neutral subway, crackle or glass, without an accent tile. You have movement in your beautiful counters and movement in the beautiful oak grain. You could find beautiful accent canisters, etc. in the colors you love and show off that amazing granite, rather than try to compete with it.
Regarding the change in color after sealing, you may want to find out what your company used. It sounds like they used an enhancer/sealer rather than a plain sealer. A plain sealer should not have changed the color.

o

Hi Peke, that Ist pic is my backsplash, Encore Silver. It has "moderate variation" and has light grey tiles but also has rosy, taupey grey tiles. Is it too busy for your Sea Pearl & cabinets? I don't know. I could be, plus I'm not sure the rosy tiles would go with your Sea Pearl.
May_flowers, bookworm, lcskaisgir or anyone - please chime in. Lcskais has a silvery gray crackle tile that is beautiful & more consistent in color. Did you see her reveal? Why don't you order a sample of her silvery grey tile. It might be perfect for "Sea Pearl".
I do like the Sonoma Stellar Cirrus Sample. But if it doesn't feel right, keep looking.
I believe the lighter Encore tiles don't have as much color variation. Bookworm, you had a sample of Ice, didn't you. What do think of that color (or any of the others) for Peke?
As far as the color changing with lighting, my tile sometimes looks like pure grey & sometimes looks more taupey. It changes all day long.
What about the "Bossy Gray"? Someone on GW had that & it was pretty.
What samples are you still waiting for?
Don't despair.

o

Peke, I too am using Sea Pearl for my counters and have found your journey for the perfect backsplash so interesting. Where you like the blue, I plan on pulling out the greens and grays and my cabinets will be white (BM Simply White). I can't wait to see what you finally decide to use.

o

ReBe, I found that certain grays don't go with my oak and others do. Cool or warm colors, maybe???? it would be so much easier if my cabinets were white and my kitchen was not open to the living and dining room. I am hoping for blue because of painting the rest of the area. We tried several grays in the living room, but they just had that "institutional" look. I can't seem to find a green color I like, except for blue greens which do not go with sea pearl.

Annalyn, I am not sure what sealer was used. I just know the installer said he used a "better" sealer which meant a different one. I just want a little bit of color on the backsplash because the oak stands out more than anything else. I wanted the Sea Pearl to be soft, but I wanted the backsplash to have a little color... other than yellow greenish. I don't have much counter space... which is what I like... so nothing sits on it except the coffee pot. If I could get rid of that I would. LOL Hubby "needs" it. I think I would have a hard time finding anything... such as a mixer... to go with the sea pearl anyway. What a color to match!

This chunk of Sea Pearl was from my original perimeter. No sealer at all. There is a shadow on the island from me taking the picture.

o

Romy, I found an Encore dealer a couple of hours away. I emailed the designer today and he is putting some tiles together that he thinks will work with the sea pearl. I did that with other companies and their designers came up with a mixture of tile all put together in a pattern.

This picture shows how much green there is on the perimeter counter with the different sealer. Big difference IRL.

o

This picture shows one of the backsplash designs chosen specifically for Sea Pearl. I didn't like it. Am I wrong?

o

They used white onyx and different kinds of marble.

This picture looks like linoleum to me. Talk about movement!

The Sea Pearl they are using does not look like mine either.

Romy, I love your backsplash. I am hoping to see the silver crackle this week.

o

This tile doesn't have my colors, plus there is too much movement. But, it is an example of what I don't understand.

What is it that makes the tiles look good together? Why is there a blue mixed in with the creams and greens? I just don't get it. I would have never put those tiles together. But it does work... just not for my kitchen.

Peke

o

I tried 2 pictures this morning. In the background is my Cameo, which is the lightest of the green tone Encore. It has subtle color variation, but enough to add some interest. The large pieces are Mint, a shade darker. The 2 little squares are Ice. All 3 matched my quartzite. The Ice is palest of blue tones, but frankly, i see no blue in it.

o

In that picture, all 3 colors look much darker than they do IRL. I tried another picture, nearer to window. If this doesn't work, i'll go outside when light comes up. I cannot capture the colors inside, so tried an outdoor shot.

in this shot, Ice, Cameo (too beige for you), then the Mint.

o

My backsplash is a gray crackle but I am getting the feeling that you don't want gray. Although, if you want a color (blue or green) I would stay with a subtle, muted one instead of any of the dark or bright ones you have posted. I feel like all of those sample boards at the beginning of this thread have accent tiles that are just too bright and compete with your counter. The encore tiles are just beautiful and muted and they have so many blue and green ones that one is bound to look good with your counters. Especially because of the variation of color in the tiles, that might tie in the differences in your perimeter and island slabs. Other than that, if you plan on doing an accent tile, I would keep the main tile pretty basic. The cirrus with one of the sparkly subtle colored tiles maybe.

All that being said, if it were me, I would try for a light gray tile with green or blue undertones that would blend with your counter.

o

Peke, I just wanted to say that I ended up choosing Sea Pearl for my master bath, based upon seeing your counters on here when I first joined last June/July-ish.
Your counters are absolutely gorgeous!
I understand the dilemma with choosing something to go with this quartzite too. I'm chickening out on my vanity backsplash by simply using the Sea Pearl. But I have a lot else going on in this master bath. What color paint did you ever decide on?
After putting many pieces of painted drywall into our bath with our light, yesterday I decided on SW Sea Salt.
Across the room in the shower we're going with Winchester Tile Sudbury Gloss - which is greener than I think you're looking for. And across the room it looks fabulous, right up against the Sea Pearl it is a bit too shiney/bright, and dulls the Sea Pearl. If one of the crackles don't work out for you though, you might look at the Winchester tiles. They're handpainted so have that variation of color tile-to-tile, without being OTT.

I agree with others here that you don't want something too shiny/glossy/blingey, as it will take away from the Sea Pearl.
As far as that tile you posted above, I also love it and yet agree it wouldn't work with the Sea Pearl. It works because it's an analogous color scheme, using 3 colors from yellow-green through to blue-green.

o

Peke,
You are not wrong. I'm not seeing a mosaic type design for your kitchen.
Regarding the Sea Pearl, I love the green but agree that the perimeter stone does appear darker than your sample. If the sealer changed the color, it is probably a color enhancing sealer, which you can have removed. I believe that type of sealer can darken a stone & obviously enhance the other colors (the green).
My installers put a color enhancing sealer on my stone. They said they were using this particular sealer (HMK) because it would provide more protection against etching. It is a topical sealer that sits on the surface of the stone, rather than penetrating the stone. When it is time to reseal, that topical sealer will have to be removed before another sealer can be applied. Mine can be removed with a chemical product made by HMK. Anyway, my point is that you can have that sealer removed. Sorry, that was probably more information than you need.
Do you know what colors they are sending you?

This post was edited by romy718 on Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 17:21

o

MLweaving, your bath looks really nice.

Peke, I hope you ordered Encore silver, Ice and Mint. I think you'll find your color in 1 of these.

o

Peke, I think you need to focus on what color you want to bring out in your granite. Personally I would narrow it to the creams or the greys. I know there are blues and greens in it too, but unless the tile is an exact match you risk it looking "off ". I would go for the creamy white look, which seems to be the cirrus on my screen. For added interest, a creamy white coordinating color in the Medici crushed glass tile as an accent, whether over the stovetop or around the perimeter would work. My sample of Medici acorn has those tones, but you could do the same in the greys. You can bring out the other granite colors with your kitchen accents...dishes, tea kettle, art, towels, etc. The beautiful thing about this is that by keeping everything that is permanent neutral, you can play with the accessories and not be locked in to a particular color. It also gives a more timeless look. Your granite is gorgeous and should be the star, in my opinion. Maybe I'm just a big chicken, but I've been locked into a color scheme before that I got tired of and was stuck. I have found with my remodel that it's so easy to be drawn to all the beautiful choices, but sometimes the simplest is the best. Just my two cents....

o

Peke, looks like we're going to "Sea Pearl Needs a Backsplash Part 3" . I went to a tile store today that carries Encore. They were closing so I only got to look for a few minutes. I did manage to get a sample of Ice (my sample is a pale bluish green & Bali (a pale blue). I agree with Bookworm about getting samples of Mint. Also, Celery was a very pretty mint green. Maybe too much color, maybe not.
If you'd like me to send you the Ice, Bali & Silver samples, email me through Gardenweb. Your page is not set up to receive email. Sorry that I couldn't get you a whole box!
Bookworm, I really like the Ice.

This post was edited by romy718 on Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 23:39

o

Please don't let there be a "Sea Pearl needs a backsplash III." I hate being so indecisive! LOL

Two new tiles today. I put them with Cirrus and Aquarius(not a crackle).
I think one of the four might work. But I will be on the road tomorrow to pick up encore samples.
Will post when I get back home.
Left to right...
Aquarius, Cirrus, Woodward, Washington. Woodward may be too beige. Woodward and Washington are from McIntones Ceramics-Legacy Series. The crackle is so much prettier than on the other two.

When I look at this picture I can see aqua tones. Maybe it is mint tones instead. I swear my eyes are getting bad. Either that or GW changed the web site. Since today I have to enlarge the posts to be able to read them. Did GW change?

o

Peke, good luck tomorrow. Be sure & look at Celery. Strange name for it as it is not at all green like the vegetable, but a pretty aqua. It may be too much color, but take a look. The Bali & Ice have been propped against my counters all week.

o

Here's the Encore silver. Looks dark beige.

o

Encore mint. Tan with green tones.

o

Encore Ice

o

Encore Celery. Green with beige

o

Encore Cashmere. Cream and green which is much better than beige and green. This one has possibilities.

o

Encore Moonlight. Cream.

o

Encore Storm. Green, but looks gray here.

o

Encore Stream. olive... yellow green

o

Encore Bali.I need to paint the wall. I like the right tile better, but I know I will get a mixture.

o

Encore Sky. Looks cream and gray-green. Another possibility.

o

Encore Lagoon. IRL it works with the green in the counter, but geez, what color would I paint the wall??????

o

Encore Riviera.

o

Encore Slate. Slate was the prettiest with Sea Pearl. Green-gray in the middle of the tile with blue.

But again.... what color would I paint my walls?

o

Potomac. Tile design guy liked this one. At the store it was perfect... with my unsealed piece of slab.

The large tile is growing on me!

o

Yukon. There were four colors that were so close. I could only tell these two apart.

o

Yukon and Potomac.

All pictures were taken at night. Will take more pictures in the morning to compare.

o

One thing to think about when you are envisioning these tiles is how much the grout is going to change the look, in a good way. This is Marthastoo "Mint".

o

Here's another pic of Marthastoo. I had a hard time envisioning what theb grout was going to do to the tile. Totally lighteded up the look.

o

Your Encore tiles look dark in the pictures. I had same problem when trying to show them to you. For example, the Ice is practically white, and Mint and Celery are paler than shown.

o

I like Storm & Cashmere, and I actually like the Lagoon too, plays up the green & looks pretty w your cabinets and is a nice contrast with the counters. I guess you could just paint a neutral cream wall color.

I love the encore tiles!!

o

Okay, I'm adding on a few pics to this post. I realized that except for that really dark picture in Sea Pearl 1, there are no pics of your kitchen. The pics that really show off the beauty of your cabinets are before the Sea Pearl was installed. I also am posting a couple of the Sea Pearl.

o

Peke, your cabinets are beautiful & I love the light floors

o

How cool are these ovens. Gorgeous wood! Love the pulls.

This post was edited by romy718 on Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 13:08

o

Seapearl on island

o

New Sea Pearl on perimeters. Okay Peke, we're ready.

o

The kitchen certainly doesn't lack interest that needs to be compensated for with accent tile, fancy tile, or more color. The same tone of crackle accent just disappears in the crackle subways, so it wouldn't be worth the expense to me. Any ceramic tile that matched the lighter cream or gray tones of the counter would probably work fine. Not sure what more I can add, but I'll stick around for Part III. ;)

o

lcskaisgir, as you said, the gray with blue or green tones work.

Bookworm, I love your floor. I wish I had a room to put it in. The tiles look darker for sure. This time I picked tiles that I didn't think would work. LOL

Homebuyer, I think I like them too. We started out looking for a cream color that didn't look yellow or too tan.

Romy, thank you. I guess I should have added them. III here we come! Here are some more.
May_flowers, I have seen some light countertops with plain subway tile, and all I can see is the subway tile. It is so plain by itself. I don't want it to be flashier than the sea pearl, but I don't want it to be plain either. I think the crackle tiles will be my choice, for sure.

Oh that horribly ugly floor! It will have to wait. Shoot, I still haven't stained my new oak stairs. Well, they have been in over a year and are still covered with brown paper. We are afraid we'll screw them up. LOL We finally took the plastic off the fridge and freezer.

o

Eventually we want to get a table made for the other side of the island sort of like in this picture.

o

I meant the crushed glass doesn't stand out enough to make it worth the expense. I called it crackle by mistake. I like the crackle tile.

o

What do you think about the size of these tiles? I think they are 4x12. Too contemporary? I was planning on putting stainless steel behind the rangetop, but there is the problem of how wide to make it. 36" like the range or 42" like the hood. It would be easier to use tile.

I really don't want to clean the grout and tile behind the rangetop every time I cook...I am such a messy cook. My mom used to have those plastic covers on her couch when I was little. That is what I need for the backsplash when I cook! LOL.

Maybe I can put glass there, but I would have to figure out how to trim it out next to the tile.

o

Here are the tiles during the day.

o

I like these tiles.

o

Just playing. Not fond of the celery.

o

Love Riviera. It doesn't have much color variations like the Bali does. The two Bali tiles look totally different.

o

I love these two together.

o

Still like the Riviera. Bali tiles are very different. The Bali on the right is perfect though.

o

I like these two together.

o

Riviera and sky

o

Riviera, Moonlight, and Cashmere. Square tiles remind me of a bathroom with these colors. I like the Riviera and Cashmere together. A lighter version of Lagoon and Slate.

o

May_flowers, it is confusing. Some companies call them crackle glass.

If I go with a light gray or cream tile, I am not sure how I would get a blue green paint color to complement.

If I go with a blue green tile, I can go with a cream color paint, but the rest of the area would be cream, brown, and light blond oak. Boring! Save that for if we ever sell!

I will try putting paint with the tiles to see what I come up with.

o

Peke, you will get a beautiful look with just one color of the crackle. My silver has about 4-5 different tiles within the mix of them, having plenty enough interest. If you start mixing more than one color together (unless it's a mosaic), it's going to be crazy. I know cuz I wanted to mix some blues in with the silver & both my KD & the tile sales girl said NO. I can see now that it would have ruined the mix. It ends up all blending together & creating a beautiful, interesting look with depth (and sparkle when you get close). Not a busy look. It all blends. I like the Riviera better than the Bali. Sounds like you do too. That's one eliminated. You don't like the celery (the description has yellow sage in it). Two gone. The Moonlight isn't doing much for the Sea Pearl & I'm guessing the Ice isn't either? The Storm is going to give you the most variation, the 5th on the left side of the tile board. My tiles sat on my counter for 6 weeks because I thought they were too taupey & I wanted some blue. Once they were up & grouted, a totally different look. Like Bookworm said, you just have to pick. I think you now have the largest collection of Encore samples on Gardenweb. I love crackle tiles. If Seapearl's tile isn't in this bunch, there are more manufacturers of beautiful crackle. Here the level of variation in your samples:
Ice -minimum variation
Moonlight-moderate
Sky- minimum to moderate
Bali - moderate
Riviera - moderate
Mint - moderate
Celery- minimum to moderate
Cashmere- moderate to high
Lagoon-moderate
Slate-moderate to high
Storm-high
Stream- high
Cameo (bookworm's) - moderate
Silver- (mine) - moderate

This post was edited by romy718 on Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 13:35

o

I am loving this look and the lighter tiles you are looking at in this color vein. It flows so beautifully and would provide many options in the future rather than going with a color. I think the sparkly tiles will date themselves eventually as much as I do love them. I could be wrong…I often am!!!

o

Everyone must put a red plate on their counter. I love how it looks like a big red American Beauty Rose in full bloom.

o

If my monitor is accurate, I'm liking Riviera also.

o

This morning Sky is in the lead. Riviera, then Bali. Riviera looks good during the day, but not at night.

I am going to keep them up on the wall for a while. I will have to ask the guy if he gave me his only two samples of each though.

o

Finally!!!

Way back, I couldn't decide between Cameo and Mint. when I had KD join me at tile shop, he asked about mixing them, "NO!" cried the saleswoman. "You will have enough subtle variation as it is."

She was correct. I listened to them, and went with the paler one.

I'm liking the Bali. I have to go back to files to find the names behind the colors. For example, the top right is what? and the one below, what? (I think that is silver)

Are you getting them square, or the large rectangle?

o

The top right is Bali. The one below Bali is Riviera. Peke, did you get a blue/green & a dark grey tile with the Storm? I thought you might like that one because the blue/green kind of reminded me of Cashmere & some of the aqua sparkly accent tiles you liked.
Here's a pick of a couple of rows of Sky I found. Very pretty.
Peke, email me if you want me to send my two pieces of Bali?
What's wrong with the Riviera at night? It doesn't need to match the Sea Pearl, just blend. And it's all going to look so different upright & grouted. The grout (light grout) will lighten the look & highlight the variations.

This post was edited by romy718 on Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 0:16

o

Here's a pic of Cerulean & Bali. Cerulean in the frame & the subway tiles are Bali.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here