Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buehl

New To Kitchens? Posting Pics? Read Me! [Help keep on Page 1]

Buehl
11 years ago

Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you may find the following information and links helpful.

The Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)/Articles pages contain helpful information about how to navigate this site as well as the world of kitchen renovations.

The Kitchen Forum Acronyms will help you understand some of the acronyms used frequently in posts.

The Finished Kitchens Blog has pictures and information about many GW members' finished kitchens. Not only can you see them alphabetically, but you can also use the "Find-A-Kitchen" function to utilize several search options if you're looking for specific things like a kitchen w/a Beverage Center or a kitchen w/a mix of dark and light cabinets. Access "Find-A-Kitchen" via the via the menu bar at the top of any FKB page. Additionally, "Find-A-Kitchen" contains a link to "In-Progress Kitchens" for those members' kitchens that are not quite ready for the FKB. There is also a link to "Coming Soon Kitchens" for those kitchens that are ready for the FKB but have not yet been added. To access the "In-Progress Kitchens", the "Coming Soon Kitchens", and the "FKB Categories", see the links on the menu bar at the top of any FKB page.

The Appliances Forum is very useful when you have questions specific to appliances.

To start off the kitchen remodel process...take the Sweeby Test. Then, move on to Beginning a Kitchen Plan.

Other topics such as layouts, planning for storage, and stone materials are discussed in later topics in this thread. Even more information can be found by doing a search on the forum.

Tips:

• Before posting a question, please search the forum. There's a very good chance someone has already asked the question.

• When using the "search" function, be sure to use the search box on the bottom of the page, not the top!

• Note, however, that you will probably have better luck searching if you use Google (or similar search engine) than if you use the Forum search function. When using Google, to limit your results to Garden Web, include the following in your search criteria:

***site:ths.gardenweb.com
In the Subject, the site changes the double quote used as the inches indicator (") to a single quote ('). We don't know why. To compensate, use two single quotes and it will appear as a double quote in the Subject. Luckily, the double quote works in the message box.
When composing a new thread, you have a couple of options:

• Have replies emailed to you: check the box offering this option. However, you must have "Allow other users to send you email via forms at our site." box checked in your profile for this to work (see the "Your Profile" link at the very top of the page) [See the post later in this thread with the Subject: Getting Emails Sent To You...3-step Process]

• Insert a link: When you "preview" your message, you will be provided with two boxes for a link...one is for the link itself and the second is for the name or description of the...

Comments (146)

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Enduring,
    DH is starting to pressure me to make decisions on the MB again. I had finally cleared my head and psyche from the extreme stress of GCing a year long reno and was ready to start looking for tile both for the MB and for the kitchen bs last spring when my Dad got sick. Now, 10 months after his death, I'm beginning to feel like I might be ready to tile shop. I'd like to have a bs in the kitchen now and I think I was stuck on tile decisions which would drives the vanity wood/color for the MB when I left off actively reno'ing. Any type of tile I'm interested in means a road trip. Another mental stumbling block.

Did you DIY the whole bathroom? It seems like you had a definite vision for the room. I'm challenged in that regard. Yours is lovely.

Please let us know when you're done and post the final reveal.

• enduring
    11 years ago

Breezy, this is going to be long. DidnâÂÂt intend for this to happen, but it did. ItâÂÂs almost a chapter book⺠Maybe this will be my draft for my BR reveal.

Can you turn your road trip into an overnighter, spending a night at a hotel or at a relative's house? I love to travel alone. Not everyoneâÂÂs favorite, but it's something I have always treasured. I can just imagine wandering around all day (or 2) looking for tile. Last fall I was at a conference in downtown Seattle and got to stop in the Ann Sacks shop. I really wanted some tile! But I couldn't afford "none of it"! There was this sweet bird motif that I would have killed for. I would have framed it. But just one section was $500 I think. I also saw this very nice trifold mirror by Kallista, WAY too expensive and maybe not quite the fit I wanted anyway. I already had my scones placed. But I had so much fun. When I'm with others I just get slowed down.

My vision I wanted to blend this bathroom with the kitchen I had done in the summer of 2011. I wanted a nice area for guest to use when visiting. Our other BR is at the other end of the house so not a great choice for guest. I wanted something soothing and âÂÂlovelyâÂÂ. I wanted some luxurious aspects to the room too. Overall, with the kitchen and with the BR, there was this theme I had in mind to keep the style of the original build. My Bathroom is a shed roof constructed addition, built on to the house in 1930 or so, when the house got moved from town to the farm. ItâÂÂs a tiny house. The BR walls still had the original plaster embossed 4x4 tile look wainscot that the plasterer did. So I wanted to keep that style - but make it real tile. I realize having the bathroom off of the kitchen is not a desirable location and I could have closed the door and created a new one on the porch, but I chose to keep the original door location. My sister was surprised. I was originally going to take out the tub and put my W/D in there, but my DS was so sentimental about the room and taking baths there when a (dirty) little guy, that I kept the tub in the plans, scratching the W/D. I wanted to keep the BR looking somewhat similar in cabinet make and style as the kitchen, except painted cabinetry. I had in mind who I wanted to make my cabinets too. I saw some of his work and was impressed. And finally, I wanted to make more soapstone counters ⺠which ended up turning into a sink because I could be assured of a larger sink to fit my constraint of 18â depth vanity.

So my vision didn't evolve in isolation. I took into account the history of the farm, house, family, function, friends, local craftspeople, and my design.

Function There were functional issues I wanted to improve upon, and some functional aspects I wanted to keep. I wanted to move the toilet out from behind the door so that the door didnâÂÂt bang into the rim each time it was opened. I was surprised that the toilet...

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

enduring, lovely vanity!!! can't wait to see more.

I haven't bumped this up in a LONG time!

Sorry...

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Enduring, thanks for that nice write-up! Your guests will be very happy with that Guest Bathroom!

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

bump!

• enduring
    11 years ago

Thanks Angie and Bee for the nice words. Hope your Tuesday is a good one.

Bump

To get back on topic:
    Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Buddy Guy, Jimmie Vaughan, Robert Cray - Sweet Home Chicago - 1990

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet Home Chicago 1990

• caliente63
    11 years ago

Bump!

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Bump

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Enduring--I just saw this and will come back to enjoy your description later when I'm not getting kids on the bus. :)

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Bump

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

bump

• tmy_jax
    11 years ago

Thanx Breezy for referring me back here for the storage & zone planning diagram.

And thanx for keeping all this great information together Buehl!

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Bump!

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Hey, bumpers!

I am going on vacation, starting tomorrow, for a week. I won't be available for "bumping duty." ;-)

Have fun without me!
    A_D

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Just bumping one last (?) time. Here is a repeat of my message above:

Hey, bumpers!
    I am going on vacation, starting tomorrow, for a week. I won't be available for "bumping duty." ;-)

Have fun without me!
    A_D

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Have a great vacay, Angie!

Bump

• enduring
    11 years ago

Angie, safe journey and hope you feel rejuvenated upon your return! Take pictures:)

Bump.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Bumping as I write a post on my backsplash thread.

• enduring
    11 years ago

bump and good night.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Another backsplash-post-writing bump!

• enduring
    11 years ago

bump

• localeater
    11 years ago

bump

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Rainy, dreary bump.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Rumpity bumpity.

• enduring
    11 years ago

bumpo

• enduring
    11 years ago

I can't find this thread on any of the recent pages? But the last post isn't that old?
    Bump

• tea4all
    11 years ago

Bumpity bump please.

• tea4all
    11 years ago

Please bump and go to pg 1.

• enduring
    11 years ago

Bump!

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Enduring,

I could possibly take an overnight road trip to look at tile, but it's complicated with the kids and DH's schedule. DH works a lot and has many out of town business trips. Finding a time when DH is home and I don't have kid commitments is difficult right now! I've never left my 3-year old overnight either, and she's having a peak in separation anxiety right now. We'll have to deal with that situation soon, however, as DH and I are going to Hawaii next month without the kids. (I should have put an exclamation point on that, but I'm starting to be anxious over leaving the kids.)

The Ann Sachs store is on my list. :)

I really enjoyed the "book" on your bathroom. :) I seem to end up writing books frequently around here. The thought you put into the function of the space shows. The room is definitely an aesthetic nod to your lovely kitchen. When its done, the sense of satisfaction will last a goodly while, I'm sure. Having accomplished all of that as a DIY job is amazing to me. I've never felt brave enough to tackle drywall compound and leveling compound. You go!!

I keep going back to enjoy that amazing vanity. It's truly very special. Remember, I want to know when it's done so I can ogle more!

• enduring
    11 years ago

Hi Breezy, Thank you so much! Right now I am on a self imposed spiritual retreat at a small place about 2 hours from my home in central Iowa. It is run by a group of nuns, I'm not catholic. They are the best. Their home place is in Wisconsin. Their order is "Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration" Isn't that a great name!!! They are all into nature and ecology. I am at a hermitage right now. I am supposed to be meditating ;) But I'm on GW. Isn't that pathetic. I have to do my GW in the main conference building as my "hermitage" is all solar powered and without reg electricity. It has 12volt plugs like a trailer I guess.

Now about your overnight, it can be done. Do you have support in this endeavor? If you don't have other's support, than maybe skip it. But if it is just you causing the discomfort then you can do it. You'll just need Angie's "Badge of Courage", like the one she gave me. I'm sure she has a copy.

Feelings are generated from thought. Can you re-phrase your thinking about leaving, into more hopeful thought? For me, I begin with determining how I want to feel about an issue. Than work at internal language that supports those presumably hopeful and confident feelings. For your situation they could be:
    1) What you said above, it could be a good trial separation for the big trip.
    2) This trip is for the family, in your bid for leaving the presidency of the ABB club.
    3) I am not abandoning my loved ones, just off working for the cause.
    4) This will be a time to help me clear my thoughts and preconceptions about backsplashes, etc :)
    5) Etc, etc, etc
    6) This is excellent role modeling for the kids.

Edited to abbreviate the post, I was sounding hokey. Trust me, if you think the above already sounds hokey, I'm hoping you didn't see the first post :)

This post was edited by enduring on Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 20:25

• enduring
    11 years ago

bump

• Buehl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

~bump~

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Bump (I'm baaaack!)

• enduring
    11 years ago

Great, I'm exhausted!!!

• tea4all
    11 years ago

Welcome back Angie. Hope it was a good time away.
    Bump.

• tea4all
    11 years ago

Snowy bump on Palm Sunday.

• enduring
    11 years ago

Snowy here in Iowa too. This morning at 7am it was the most beautiful peaceful day, with the branches all covered:)

Bump

• Buehl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

~bump~

Predicting snow here (3 to 5 inches)...but based on their track record this season, I doubt we'll have even a dusting! We had a very disappointing winter! (DC/Baltimore area)

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Buehl, we had a very disappointing winter, too, but for a different reason. It never ended! ;-)

• tea4all
    11 years ago

Quick bump while the sun is peeking through the cold clouds. Spring will surely come one day.

• tea4all
    11 years ago

Bump.

***Attention Buehl***----- I emailed the GW Staff to ask if it would be possible to add ALL your wonderful compiled info to the Sticky. They emailed me back saying they want you to contact the manager and they would be happy to update the Sticky. (You probably have an email from them in your mail.) Thank you Buehl for all your work!! I know I have saved this thread and referred to it several times. You are a jewel!

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

late-night bump.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Get off of Pg. 3!!

• tea4all
    11 years ago

Bump.

If any of you have Buehl's contact information, would you please ask her to contact the Gardenweb Staff. They said they would update the sticky with this additional info if she contacts them. They also said they emailed her but she must not have read it yet. Thanks.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Hustle. Get it? The Bump.....The Hustle. I think most of us bumping all old enough to remember those dances. :)

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Bump!

• enduring
    11 years ago

bump-ity

• enduring
    11 years ago

bump-ity

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Sprinkler.