Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chinchette

cabinet at the end of run next to penisula

chinchette
11 years ago

On an L shape kitchen, we will have a wall of cabinets that are about 14 feet long. There is a peninsula with dishwasher and sink on the short part of the L. Would it look odd to now have the upper cabinets on the long run go all the way to the end of the peninsula? ie: in the corner of the L. I figure that no one can reach into that cabinet anyway, as its in a corner. I hope I described that well enough to be understood.

How would it look if the upper only came to the edge of the counter top of the short end of the L? ie. You can reach into the whole cabinet standing in front of it.

Comments (13)

• Gracie
    11 years ago

You don't need to go all the way to the end of the counter with cabinets, but I think it'd look like something's missing to stop at the corner. I stopped several inches from the end of the counter. I used an open display shelf for the last cab, but I also thought of using a glass cabinet or the quarter round open shelf that cabinet manufacturers sell.

When we tile the backsplash, we'll tile from the end of the upper cab. If you leave empty wall over your peninsula, you'll have a tiling dilemma.

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

I usually take the cabinets to the corner. You can access the space for less used items with a step stool. It's never for everyday access, but no storage is ever "wasted" storage. Especially in small kitchens.

The only exception has been where a homeowner has a large piece of art or TV that they want to place in that spot. It is an ideal place for viewing the morning weather from the overhang at the breakfast bar.

• Gracie
    11 years ago

Our end cabinet of the three starts at the corner and I can comfortably reach the first two shelves.

• chinchette
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good answers. Thanks!
    May Flowers- that looks like a nice efficient kitchen. How wide is your peninsula?

• chinchette
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good answers. Thanks!
    May Flowers- that looks like a nice efficient kitchen. How wide is your peninsula?

• Gracie
    11 years ago

It's 39 1/2". We added 12" of cabinetry behind the sink base/DW/ trash cabinets for storage and display on the DR side. I also wanted splash space behind the sink. We had a raised bar to contain splash/grow mold before the remodel.

• steph2000
    11 years ago

Here is an example of a cabinet going to the end of the peninsula:

I'd post a pic, but photobucket is down and it's the only way I know how to do it.

Look for nixit71's picture of her green kitchen

Here is a link that might be useful: Nixit's uppers to the end of peninsula

• chinchette
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the picture Steph.
    May flowers- I am working on an investment property with the L exactly like yours. This is giving me a lot of ideas!

• steph2000
    11 years ago

I'm just posting the pic.

PS - I love May Flowers open shelving on the back of her peninsula. If we weren't aiming for seating, I would definitely look at something like that.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Agree no storage is wasted. My upper cabs extend to the end of the lower peninsula and I can reach all but the top shelf, but my lower cabs are standard lower depth, no overhang on the peninsula because no seating behind. My friend has a wide one with seating and her cabs also go to the end, but her upper cab also opens from the side (normally the end panel) and she hides her charging station and stuff she doesn't use that often (pitchers, ramikins, etc) in there. Looks like one cab from the outside, but I think there is a vertical interior divider, but not sure.

And if you have a wider peninsula like mayflowers stopping where she did also looks great.

• chinchette
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mayflowers, how much room is there from the end of the upper cabinet to the end of the peninsula?

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Steph that's a great kitchen too! Do you have more pictures to share?
    What cabs and countertops did you use? Great color!
    They look to be insert cabs? Do you feel like you lost much space going with that style?
    Can you please tell me the length of the 2 cabinet walls and peninsula run? Also how wide your peninsula is and how tall your ceilings?
    I like the cabinet at the end of your peninsula. Can you please tell me which direction the door opens on the appliance garage?
    Yours and May Flowers kitchens are so stylish and look to be very functional. Did you change your layout from your original?
    Thank you!

• Gracie
    11 years ago

I had my cab maker draw me a lay-out with the end cabinet to the counter but I was afraid it would interfere with my sink, which, as I'm looking at it right now as I'm getting dinner ready and have dishes piled up, it would have. I also thought it would be awkward to get into that appliance garage. I did the open shelf because I'd never have to try to get into it except to pull out a cookbook.

Chinchette, I left 12" past the upper cabs to the counter edge. I wanted all three doors and the open cab to be the same width and be able to reach into the third cab. It didn't make sense to add an inaccessible cab to get me to the end of the peninsula. I had to make them the same width as the ones on the other side of the range. It was quite the balancing act to make all the upper cabinets symmetrical.