Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lcskaisgir

White & gray kitchen reveal, lots of pics!

Lisa
10 years ago

Kitchen is 90% done! Finally!! But is it ever really done? Started around Thanksgiving. Most things were done by Christmas but backsplash and paint were just completed a few days ago. Mostly we used the same foot print as the old kitchen with some minor changes. Mostly just wanted an update to the old white appliances and thermofoil cabinets.

Still to do: fireplace tile, base moldings, window treatments, rug? & chairs?

Things that remained the same: floor, kitchen table & chairs, chandelier over table, disposal, walk-in pantry

Products used:

perimeter cabinets: Shiloh, Charleston door, beaded inset, Polar White

island cabinets: Shiloh, Charleston door, beaded inset, Silas stain w/black glaze

appliances: all Kitchenaid, Pro line (36" counter depth fridge, 30" double convection oven, 24" built-in microwave, 36" cooktop, dishwasher)

hardware: Amerock Lattice (in various sizes)

counter: Calacatta quartzite

sink: Blanco silgranit Diamond 1.5 bowl in cinder (from HomePerfect)

faucet: Danze Opulence

backsplash tile: gray crackle subway and mosaic from Tile Daily

paint color: SW collonade gray

stools: American Heritage Monaco from Wayfair

pendants: crystal chandelier pendant from Great Chandeliers

recessed lights: 6" ecosmart LED

UCL: LED from Priority Lighting (don't know brand)

above cabinet lighting: maxlite LED

hood insert: best (290 cfm)

cutlery insert: woodhollow

Also: plugmolds and replaced pantry door w/solid wood door

BEFORE:

{{gwi:1700135}}
{{gwi:1700137}}

AFTER:

{{gwi:1700139}}
{{gwi:1700141}}
{{gwi:1700142}}
{{gwi:1700143}}

{{gwi:1700145}}
{{gwi:1700146}}

{{gwi:1700148}}
{{gwi:1700149}}
{{gwi:1700150}}
{{gwi:1700151}}
{{gwi:1700152}}
{{gwi:1700153}}
{{gwi:1700154}}
{{gwi:1700155}}
{{gwi:1700156}}

{{gwi:1700160}}
{{gwi:1700162}}
{{gwi:1700164}}
{{gwi:1700166}}
{{gwi:1700168}}

There is so much in the super susan; blender, toaster, several food processors, huge stock pot, cookie cutters, rolling pins, etc.
{{gwi:1700169}}

A trim piece still needs to be installed under the counter from the drawers to the wall in the desk area(not sure if it's called a valance or an apron?){{gwi:1700170}}

We had a hole drilled in the counter where the TV sits and used this grommet. The outlet and cable jack are down below in the cabinet. We did the same thing in the desk area for the computer and phone.{{gwi:1700171}}

These gray corbels were supposed to go on my island. They initially sent me the wrong ones. Now that I have the correct ones, I'm not sure if I want to use them anymore. I kind of like the island as is. I would love to find another use for them.{{gwi:1700172}}

I had many inspiration photos from both Houzz and Garden Web. I learned SO much from this forum from electrical, to counters, to lighting, to plugmolds. Every photo and comment has been so very helpful. Thank you to everyone who has shared their knowledge. Some mistakes were made and we spent way more than we thought we would, but overall I am very pleased.

This post was edited by lcskaisgir on Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 9:17

Comments (135)

• Lisa
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi romy! I'm still DYING to see your finished kitchen!!

As I was scrolling down to get to the bottom of this thread to write a reply, a photo stood out to me, the second one posted on January 8th of this year where I was showing the edge detail of my backsplash. There was a a 4" piece of backsplash made from the counter on each side of the window area (because I didn't want to continue the tile backsplash in that area) which always really bothered me. Well, we recently had all of our base mouldings and case mouldings changed and while they were doing that, I had them rip those backsplash pieces off. It is sooooooo much better now!

• romy718
    8 years ago

I know I keep saying my reveal is coming. I have pics. I've made a list of all the details. I just need to find a few hours to just do it. Better late than never?

• islanddevil
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Don't think I've been in Gardenweb since it moved in with Houzz....that will take time to get used to. Ugh.

But glad I dropped in at a good time to discover this thread. Wow what a beautiful kitchen! Love it. I'm drooling over your quartzite counters. That is a gorgeous gorgeous GORGEOUS stone! I've never heard of it before and I want it! The look or marble without the upkeep, etching and staining.... I hope.

Few months have passed since you originally posted; is it still loding up well or do you have to baby it?

Also, can you please tell me the species, color and make of your preexisting word floor if you still have that info? Thanks!

Lisa thanked islanddevil
  • Lisa
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Islanddevil, thank you for the kind words. My counters have been in for a year and a half now. No etching and no staining, and trust me, there has been plenty of opportunity with my two boys (15 and 12), all of their friends, and my husband. As for the wood floor, it is oak and the stain was a mix of two colors, which I can't remember the name of off hand. It was primarily a walnut color I believe with some red mixed into it to warm it up (maybe a mahogany). I have that info somewhere and will see if I can find it.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It is a min wax stain, a mixture of dark walnut and red mahogany.

• islanddevil
    8 years ago

Hi Icskaisgir.

Thank you for the additional info. So glad to hear your quartzite has been durable. Fingers crossed I can find similar!

Do you happen to know the dimensions of your island and the length of the cabinet runs on your 3 walls?

We're thinking of moving our kitchen to our little used dining room for a larger more open space and your layout is what I envision, but not sure if I have the width or length. So different than what I have now, it was hard to visualize until I saw yours.

Thanks again.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The island is 81", the sink run is 12'7", the cooktop run is 9'1" (with a 36" doorway to the dining room) and then the other wall has a walk-in pantry (with a 36" door), 36" fridge, double oven (30"), and a 15" cabinet.

I wasn't sure if you only needed dimensions of cabinet runs or if you needed a more accurate depiction of the actual space of the kitchen.

• Tracy Kristensen
    8 years ago

Hi I am looking at Shiloh cabinets and was wondering how they have held up for you? I am looking at the polar inset. Also do you know what their warranty is? Your kitchen is lovely!!!

• Lisa
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Tracy, the cabinets are holding up beautifully so far. I really love them, no issues whatsoever. We also have the polar white inset. Off hand I do not know their warranty. I'm sure I knew it at the time of the remodel but I try to block that period of time out of my memory, lol.

• maven19
    8 years ago

What a gorgeous kitchen!!! It is really just lovely! I love your chandeliers and am looking for something similar for my own kitchen. Would you happen to know the name or product number? I've tried searching the Great Chandelier website with no luck.

• rjknsf
    8 years ago

Hi lcskaisgir,

Really great kitchen! It's nice to see a finished refresh that really impacted the look and feel of your home! I imagine you must love spending time in there.

Do you know the dimensions of your island? I am planning something in what I think is a similar size.

Thank you and best wishes!

• Lisa
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Maven19, the item # is G7-405/1. I searched their website though and didn't find it in any of the categories nor by the item # so I'm not sure they carry it anymore. I remember seeing something almost identical on another website but I can't, for the life of me, remember which one.

Rjknsf, the counter on my island measures 80.5" x 38".

Thank you both for the compliments!
  • econoyer78
    8 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! What is your island countertop material?

Lisa thanked econoyer78
  • rjknsf
    8 years ago
    Yours is a bit deeper and a bit longer Han mine will be. I'm planning 6 ft by almost 3 ft.

I just have to say again that I really like it. I love the combination of the gray paint on the island with your counter top.
    Lisa thanked rjknsf
  • Lisa
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Econoyer78 all of the counters are calacatta quartzite.

• econoyer78
    8 years ago

Is that granite?

• Lisa
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It is not granite but is a natural stone like granite...

• tinker_2006
    8 years ago

Beautiful!! I love everything! What size is your cooktop and what size is your hood?

• Lisa
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Cooktop is 36" and hood is 42".
  • tinker_2006
    8 years ago

thanks Icskaisgir!

• divotdiva2
    8 years ago

hi lcskaisgir, love your kitchen! Could you possibly share the dimensions (l x w) of the space including the seating area by the doors/fireplace?

• Lisa
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Length is 24'6", width in the kitchen area is 14'6", and width of the eating area over to the desk is 19'7".

• divotdiva2
    8 years ago

rats, mine is about the same length but a little more narrow.

• CindynNick Bailey
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

what color is your grout for your crackle tile? I am ordering my tile tomorrow and I hope that you can now order a tile edge it mentions one on their website. I will be having my cabinets painted in a few weeks also and was wondering if polar white by Ben Moore would be a good choice to use, is that close to the color of yours? We are using Edgecomb Gray by Ben Moore for our walls and are installing white ice granite countertops. Beautiful kitchen by the way, love your colors.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hmmmm, I don't recall. I do know that my contractor wanted me to do a darker gray to match the main part of the tile but I chose a light gray that matched the edges of the tile instead. I may have some left over somewhere....I will check tomorrow.
  • Lisa
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I forgot to address the paint color of the cabinets. I'm not familiar with that Benjamin Moore white but I may have a color wheel around here somewhere, I will look for that also tomorrow. I can tell you that there were three whites to choose from...a stark white (Arctic white), the white that I used (polar white) which is not stark but doesn't have any yellow undertones...it reads white not cream, and then there was a cream (soft white).
  • Lisa
    Original Author
    8 years ago

CindynNick Bailey, it's a definite NO for Benjamin Moore polar white. As you can see, it is on a purple strip and has lavender undertones. That is my Shiloh polar white cabinet behind the paint strip for comparison.

• rimachka
    8 years ago

Thank so much for posting your beautiful kitchen!! We are in the process of ordering our Shiloh kitchen cabinets and have chosen almost the same as you!! Cabinets will be Artic white, Charleston door style with beaded inset. The island will be Charleston door in beaded inset , but here is where I'm confused. I've decided on Silas but can't decide which wood and glaze. I'm leaning towards hickory with either black or nickel glaze. Do you happen to remember what wood yours is?? Poplar, maple?? Thank You!!

• Lisa
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I can't believe I left out the wood species in my cabinet description! I know that my white cabinets are maple but I can't remember if my island cabinets are maple or cherry. Autumn4 used hickory in the Silas finish with black glaze. I'm not sure if she ended up doing a full reveal but bits and pieces of her kitchen have been posted on GW in different threads. It looks gorgeous. I remember the nickel glaze being almost invisible because the color blended with the Silas finish...
  • Lisa
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Maven19, I don't know if you're still looking, but I came across this today...

It it is so similar to mine and when I got mine I spray painted them with a satin nickel metallic spray paint before I put the crystals on so they don't look like chrome.

• Stephanie Bates
    7 years ago

I feel like this thread was meant for me, even though you posted it years ago! Just starting a remodel, and your finished product is very similar to what I want and our kitchen layout is almost identical..thanks for the ideas and the measurements and all. We currently have our fridge to the right of where your dining room door is, and our cooktop on the island, but are moving the cooktop to where you have it, and the fridge to the the wall you have it on. Do you find traffic near the fridge to be congested at all in that walkway? We are moving it now because of 'traffic' but also worry about moving it to the main walkway. Anyway, that is where we are moving it regardless. I love your kitchen and I hope you have enjoyed it. :)

• smm5525
    7 years ago

Thanks for bumping this Stephnie. My new kitchen is going to be similar as well :)

• Lisa
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It is not congested at all. However, prior to the renovation I did not have a counterdepth fridge and my barstools had backs on them....and it was congested in that area. What a difference those two changes made!! Good luck!!

• smm5525
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi can you provide the dimensions for the aisles? I think you have 44" on sink side and its hard to tell from the info the counter to island aisle on the fridge side. Does the fridge work in that location? I have mine at front end but looking to move it where about yours is to the back end of kitchen.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Counter to counter for that aisle is 47 ½". Fridge to island counter is 43 ½". It works out well for us being in that location. As I mentioned before though, if the stools had backs on them, it would crowd the area a bit. They slide under the counter now.
  • smm5525
    7 years ago

Thx! I think I'm convinced that I need a counter depth. Our fridge is less than 3 yrs old but will need to sell it on Craigslist. I need every inch I can get!

• smm5525
    7 years ago

I was also thinking of getting those stool too! But I have 2 young boys and stools frighten me, lol! I might get temporary ones with backs while they are still young. It's crazy how similar our kitchens are both layout and finishes I was considering! I'm also doing a stained island similar in color, crackle backsplash and after seeing your inset cabunets, I might splurge for them !

• mea5
    7 years ago

Fellow Michigander and wondering where you found your Quartz, on the hunt!!

• Lisa
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Mea5, it's actually quartzite. If you're looking for quartz it should be a heck of a lot easier to find! I got mine through t&m in Farmington. They had quite a bit there but I actually found mine online at one of their other locations (Missouri maybe?) and they transferred them here for me. Good luck!
  • joviboys
    7 years ago

All of it is absolutely stunning! What color did you paint your doors, ceiling and trim?

• Cindy Tang
    7 years ago

Really like this!! Thanks for sharing and I learn a lot from your idea!!

• Lisa
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Joviboys, they are painted the bright white from Sherwin Williams that you buy right off the shelf.
  • joviboys
    7 years ago

Is it Sherwin Williams Proclassic in Extra white? What sheen??

• Lisa
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Yes, semi gloss. Good luck!
  • Tracy Kristensen
    7 years ago

Hi Lisa, Does the 9'1 run include the entry way or just the start of the countertop to the end of the wall near the sink?

• Tracy Kristensen
    7 years ago

And what size is the cabinet to the left and right of the hood?

• Lisa
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    The measurement is of the counter, not including the doorway.

The cabinet to the left of the hood is 15" and to the cabinet to right of the hood is 27".
  • tlc333
    5 years ago

HI,

JUST STARTING WITH MY KITCHEN AND FOUND YOU WHEN SEARCHING FOR QUARTZ EDGE PROFILES. DO YOU REMEMBER WHAT YOU ISLAND EDGE IS CALLED?

• Alit Westport
    3 years ago

@lisa what is the edge

• Lisa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

If I remember correctly it is an ogee stacked on an eased edge.