Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yuliao

Need urgent help - backsplash!

YuliaO
10 years ago

Just came home and my backsplash has arrived and they are installing it tomorrow. My husband is on business trip and i have literally no one to discuss it with�
I need to decide where backsplash goes/ends�.help�please??

I posted some photos in my other topic, but here are some more�sorry, very bad quality :(
here is a backsplash, for the referenceâ¦

tried to take a photo of the whole kitchenâ¦(Computer is not staying there, just waiting for the office to be finishedâ¦)

corner#1â¦should i put backsplash on the corner wall? We are planning on putting some shelves thereâ¦

corner#2â¦Should i continue the backsplash to the window wall?

And what about between the range and the hood (the metal thing is temporary, there going to be backsplash everywhere)?

And alsoâ¦.should i put some backsplash at the island?

ughhhh more decisionsâ¦i am so tired :( PLease help!!!

This post was edited by YuliaO on Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 22:57

Comments (47)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Hi Lulia, what a spot you are in, was there no way to delay the installation? You know when you make rushed and pressured decisions you're not always so happy with them.

And it is late and few people here to help you. And I am not all that familiar with the 'modern' style to know the answer to your questions.

I started to offer an opinion and seriously, with such a contemporary kitchen it is very different from what I am used to. I haven't got a clue where that backsplash should go and if you feel you are going to make a mistake, I suggest you call the contractor early in the morning and try to reschedule.

Maybe in the morning someone here could help you, but that's cutting it close and you're not sure someone will be up early enough to respond.

Good luck!

• Sms
    10 years ago

I would keep the metal thing-- maybe add a second metal shelf to the right of the range top to the wall and take the b/s up to the bottom of those shelves. Would run it either on that wall only or the return walls on both the window and oven side (stopping at the window casing and the oven wall. No need for b/s on island.

Do you have edge tiles or only mosaic sheets?

• xc60
    10 years ago

I would probably run the backsplash on the back wall only up to the bottom of the hood. I would also maybe keep the stainless backsplash.

• deedles
    10 years ago

Keep the stainless backsplash behind the stove. It totally fits with your contemporary kitchen style and looks great.

Run the tile to the window trim and around the corner where your mixer is sitting. Absolutely agree with adding another shelf to the right of the hood as Zeitgast said.

Your kitchen is going to look wonderful!

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I don't think it should go to the window trim. Just tile under the cabinets and shelves, just like you would in a traditional kitchen. I think I'd wrap it around the corner near the ovens though. Agree to keep the SS under the hood.

• localeater
    10 years ago

Pretty backsplash tile, it is going to add such dimension with your gorgeous white lacquer cabinets. I would stop at both inside corners and not turn onto the other walls. I do not think it is necessary and I think, particularly on the window wall, having tile under half the window apron would bug me. Since, for me, the window wall is eliminated that just naturally eliminates the other wall too.
    The main wall is a bit more complex. Personally I am not a fan of stainless behind the range in my own home but I will admit it looks nice in yours. I just love tile though.... Then you have the lack of symmetry issue with the shelf on the one side and the open space on the other. And I am not saying you need to add a shelf to the other side because to me, that big open space is crying for art! I had the same lack of symmetry in my modern farmhouse kitchen and I STRUGGLED with the backsplash for close to a year. Does your tile have any trim pieces or will you be trimming with a Schulter edge? My options for your kitchen would be:
    1) tile to the bottom of the shelf/cabinets all the way across and to the ceiling behind the stove.
    2) to the bottom of the hood all the way across
    3) to the ceiling behind the hood, and just 4" -6" all the way across
    I have included a link to a blog post someone else share a day or two ago that I thought was great. (Sorry I cannot remember who shared).
    I wish someone was around to photoshop for you but I do not have the skill
    This is a link to my own post within which I rec'd lots of help with photoshopping various options of layouts on a non symmetrical range wall with open space to one side. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0411375025150.html
    And this is the end result which I love:

From GW Photos

From GW Photos

Here is a link that might be useful: to side splash or not

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

My vote is for just back wall and do it up big!
    I admit I love the stainless behind the stove.
    Other than that I'd put every inch of my tile on that back wall, maybe even above the cabinets! But at least up to the hood. I really like your kitchen and I think it lends itself to a big statement.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 7:50

• deedles
    10 years ago

I didn't notice the space between the window and the counter. I amend my vote to back wall and leave it off the wall by the window entirely, although I'd probably still go 'round the corner over by the stove, since the stove seems a natural place to end it. To my eye, not having it back there seems like it was 'forgotten' or you ran out of tile or something. But that's just me.

Once you get the tile up, you'll be better able to see if another shelf to the right of the stove makes sense or something else as localeater points out.

Make sure to post pics when it's done!

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Cancel until you know what you want to do.

Then go out shopping and grab a good lunch.

• speaktodeek
    10 years ago

My vote: keep the stainless behind the range, put the backspash (gorgeous tiles!) only on the range wall and not side walls, and bring the height up to 4-6 inches ABOVE your stainless shelf where no wall cabinets, and up to the bottom of wall cabinets where there are wall cabinets. This will add a mini backsplash to your shelf and break up the strong horizontal lines on that wall into nice levels.

• fishymom
    10 years ago

Your kitchen looks great! I would not do any tile on the wall with the window. I would run the tile the height of the cabinets all the way across on either side of the range and I would keep the stainless steel behind the range. If you will have shelves in the open space next to the ovens, I would continue at the same height in that space also.

• YuliaO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for your opinions!

I agree with most of you - no tile on the window wall.

I would love to keep the stainless but i am not sure it can be doneâ¦.Its thinner then backsplashâ¦i would need to bring it out somehow, right? Also, it does not go all the way up to the hood, and its 36". and the hood is 42â¦would i need to run backsplash around it or something?

i'll try to make photoshop pictures in a secondâ¦

ps
    it has to be done today, long story short - if the seller does not do the backsplash today or tomorrow - he loses money from escrow account.

• Terri_PacNW
    10 years ago

Well I think back wall only, up to cabinets/shelf. I like the stainless panel, but the size difference(width of panel vs hood) bothers me a bit..so I would use the tile but take it the width of the hood (which appears to be just to the right of the outlet) and take it up 4-6", maybe a touch more above the shelf level.

• YuliaO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here are some options

option 1

option 2

option 3

option 4

option 5

option 6

option 7

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

I'm late to the party, but YES get a bigger piece of stainless fabricated (not expensive) for the stove backsplash. It is perfect.

I'd go only on the cabinet walls, and yes, around the corner. I would put the corner shelves immediately at the top of the tile, like you have it on the left.
    I wouldn't go higher than the bottom of the upper cabinets, and not wrapping around on the window wall.

That is a fantastic tile and your kitchen is very, very sleek. It really makes a statement.
    Definitely keep the stainless. That was actually my very first thought upon seeing your pictures, was how cool that looks.

• YuliaO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The tile guy was here. He said we have enough tile to put over the range top and put a metal thing on top later if we want toâ¦

so we can do the option 7 and put the metal back, and we'll be able to decide how to position itâ¦

Now, should i add that little strip on the sides of the hood? I personally think it will look nice, the only concern i have is the metal corner (not sure how its called) they will finish it with.. this tile does not have any decorative edgeâ¦

• powermuffin
    10 years ago

I like options 6 and 7, but 7 only if you have the stainless go all the way up to the hood. I do think that adding a border tile in a dark gray would finish off the tile nicely. It bothers me that there is no finished edge.
    Diane

• YuliaO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And i forgot to add - i appreciate all your help SO MUCH!! THANK YOU!!!!

• YuliaO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

what if i do something like that?

• Lisa
    10 years ago

I think that metal piece looks funny just floating in the middle of the area like that. I would either get a bigger piece made or leave it off altogether. Maybe have him tile the whole area and if you feel like you want the stainless, you can always have a bigger piece made. How exciting! You're almost done! Can't wait to see the reveal.

• YuliaO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If i get the bigger pieceâ¦do i make it 36" wide or 42"?

• romy718
    10 years ago

The first thing I noticed was how perfect the stainless below the hood looks. I also noticed it looks temporary & not sized appropriately. I like option 7 with a new piece of stainless fabricated to the correct size & attached to the wall differently than it is now (visible screws). I like the tile taken to the ceiling on the sides of the stainless with another stainless shelf on the right side. Have them mock up some tile with the metal edge finish piece. If you don't like it, I'd only take the tile to the the bottom of the cabinet.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I think people meant that you should have a stainless backsplash fabricated, not use the one already there. It's obviously too small.

I think it looks better going up to the ceiling around the hood. I'd just start it at the end of the shelf. Were you doing the same shelf on the other side of the hood?

• Lisa
    10 years ago

Maybe you could do a photoshop with a 36" piece vs a 42" piece. From what I see in the pics it looks like a 36" could work as long as it goes all the way from counter to hood. And agree with others on tiling up to ceiling and a little wider than the hood.

• deedles
    10 years ago

Do option 7 today with the tile and then you can worry about sizes of stainless panel later, if you even want it later. Also like the tile to the ceiling and showing on either side of the hood. Very dramatic!

• YuliaO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i thought i will wait until the kitchen is done and decide on the shelves then. I was also thinking maybe put smaller ss shelf over the big one..Not sure though..

• romy718
    10 years ago

Here's an article about measuring for a stainless panel if you decide to go that route. It has some tips on finishing the edges & attaching it to the wall (adhesives or fasteners). Some people go the width of the hood, some the width of the range. Lots of pics online showing both options.
    Going to be stunning. Please post pics.
    The two shelves look great.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to measure a stainless steel backslash panel

This post was edited by romy718 on Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 12:43

• YuliaO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Romy, wow! Thank you!!

• raehelen
    10 years ago

You've probably already started, but by the time I got to the end of this post, you had picked what I was going to suggest anyways.

Just tile the back wall, not the sides.

For some reason, the tile on either side of the hood really adds an attractive dimension, not sure why, but that little bit of colour/pattern is quite appealling.

AND, OK, this may make me sound like a dummy, but honestly I cannot see the difference between Option 1 and Option 7?

Agree that tiling behind the stove gives you the option to come up with a stainless steel panel that fits and can be added later.

OH, and I meant to say I think the Schutler metal trim edges look neat and would suit your kitchen. (And not just because I have them in mine! LOL)

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

Maybe do a stainless schluter trim to finish your tiles?

{{!gwi}}
    via modwalls

• Lisa
    10 years ago

I was just browsing on houzz and saw this kitchen. It reminds me of the set up you have on the stove wall with the hood and those shelves. If you click on the other photos of this kitchen you can see that they have two shelves on both sides of the hood.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Similar oven wall[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/rustic-modern-contemporary-kitchen-san-diego-phvw-vp~732157)

• deedles
    10 years ago

Dying to see how the tile turned out today!

• YuliaO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For some reason they came in, asked me how I want the backsplash done... And disappeared..ugh... Got a message later on that they are coming Saturday morning.. I will post photos as soon as its done...

• YuliaO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

they started todayâ¦.

• YuliaO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sorry for the mess on the countersâ¦

• xc60
    10 years ago

It's looking awesome, that tile is so pretty and goes perfectly with your counters. :)

• romy718
    10 years ago

It looks great. Thanks for the update.

• deedles
    10 years ago

Looking really good. Now, just wondering, are you having them go up past the range hood or no?

• YuliaO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am sorry i didn't update soonerâ¦
    Here is a finished version. Sorry for the mess, still figuring out the space⦠Also, What would you say is the best accent color for this? The purple color only comes out when the sun is shiningâ¦I am torn between purple and turquoiseâ¦The adjoining room has orange accent wallâ¦

I think i made a mistake with grout, should have chosen lighter colorâ¦oh, wellâ¦

• deedles
    10 years ago

I think it looks wonderful, including the wall color and grout color. Very, very nice!

• OOTM_Mom
    10 years ago

Very cool! And I dont even notice the grout, which is good, right?

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Looks beautiful, I think the grout colour is perfect! For accent colour, do you mean to buy accents, ie utensils/ornaments/towels? Or to paint a wall/shelf somewhere?

I would buy a couple of towels in turquoise and in purple, and see which you like best. That's the fun stuff, perhaps if you found a picture/ornament/vase that you loved, you could work from there. I have an Italian glass vase that I fell in love with and it would look fabulous next to your backsplash. I use that when I'm trying to think of colours for tablecloths/napkins, etc.

Nice thing about having so many colours in that BS, is that you can change your accent colour either seasonally or a few years down the road!

• YuliaO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you!

yes, i meant accessories, like placemats etc

• xc60
    10 years ago

Looks great! I think either purple or teal would work really well in your space.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Thanks for the update. It looks beautiful! You made all the right choices. The Schulter edge looks great & I like the grout color. Once you start browsing, you'll find a special piece you love in one of those beautiful colors.

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

Really pretty and sparkly! Like the colors with your counter.

• YuliaO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you!

I have a lot more choices to make-accents, and table with seating, etcâ¦.I will make sure to take good pictures and do a reveal when we are doneâ¦