Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aloha2009

Do You Have a Similiar Layout

aloha2009
13 years ago

This is the first time we came across a kitchen that is very similiar to the design we have come up for our kitchen except we plan to switch around the stove with the sink and putting in a 6' window over the sink.

If you have a similiar layout in the pic or one with the sink and stove switched around...

Please send along your pic(s) and how the kitchen functions for you.

How is the frig off to the side work for you?

If you have a window above your sink, how large is it?

Do you wish for the sink and stove to be changed around and why?

How well does your island work for you? How large is your island? How far is it away from the family/great room?

Counter to counter, how far away is your galley wall to the island? How much space between your frig and island?

I know this is a lot of question but whatever time you have to answer any of these questions would be very helpful. Thanks a bunch

Comments (30)

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

My new kitchen is like this photo, only it's not built yet! The sink in the island will be the prep sink. The main sink will be on the wall to the left of this photo. I have it mocked up with boxes in the demoed kitchen and I think it'll work great.

I had initially planned the fridge on the wall with the rangetop, but swapped it and the ovens for a better function. Visitors in to the room can access the fridge without getting in the way of the cooking/prepping action. Rhome has a similar layout.

My sink will have a 6' window. I'm planning windows on both sides of the range.

My island will be about 9' long. My family room is directly across from the island, separated by an aisle about 5' wide.

Rangetop to island aisle will be 42". Fridge to island aisle will be 44-45". A good aisle width is 48", but I'm cheating mine a bit as a compromise for other things.

Will you put the range in the island or just a cooktop/rangetop and ovens somewhere else? I hope you're planning an island hood.

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Breezygirl. You new kitchen sounds like it will be a lot bigger then mine with a whole entire other wall. I was hoping that others would respond that have actually been living with the good, bad, and ugly of how the layout works. I can imagine, but reality often is so different.

I know this is an unusual layout, as this is the first pic I've come across. I'm beginning to doubt that it is even good, being that I rarely/never see it.

• salmon_slayer
    13 years ago

These were taken after the kitchen was first installed - it doesn't show the entire kitchen but they show the differt angles. The island is fantastic and works great for entertaining etc. the sink is really deep - not sure if I would do that again. Eveything else would remain unchanged

I think we have 42 -46" between the island and cabinets and can check this weekend if needed. It's a very comfortable distance

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

One thing I forgot to mention is that with your only sink on the island, all of your dirty dishes will be on display. About a year ago I considered a layout with the cleanup sink facing into the family room, but quickly nixed it because I know it would bug me to the bone to see even one dirty bowl sitting around waiting to be DW loaded. We entertain a lot and don't want guests staring at dirty dishes either. Sometimes it might be your only layout choice, but make it knowing all the consequences.

Sorry mine isn't done to show you.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Hi Aloha,
    I crossed posted this info. Your dream kitchen above
    is from Earthwise Cabinetry out of California.
    http://www.earthwisecabinetry.com/about.php
    And here are few more images similar in floor
    plan I hope they help.
    ~boxer

Criteria....
    frig off to the side
    window above your sink
    island work

Golden Sunshine Granite from Delware Stone
    {{!gwi}}

Randl Bye

Randl Bye

Design Group Oberland

Luxury Farm sink with Antique White

White Kitchens after

Mullet Cabinet

Gallery 61

• allison0704
    13 years ago

Your photo is like my kitchen also. The fridge off to the side works fine for us. Easy to take things out and place on island or next to stove. There is just over 4' from fridge wall to island.

Had a window above sink in our last home, which was built in 1956. It wasn't that large but it was a greenhouse window a handyman made from old doors (ripped the wood to size and ordered custom windows), so it was very open.

I did not want a cooktop in the island and we wanted a range vs ovens. So we love the island sink. Dirty dishes during holidays, etc are not a problem. I'm a big clean as you go person, so almost everything is cleaned and put away before guests arrive. After eating, it doesn't take long to put dishes in dishdrawers. The island tends to draw people, so it's not like I'm ever alone there! lol

Island works great for us, even with there are two in the kitchen. It is approx 4x9. It's 48" from the counters on either side of the range, which protrudes out a bit (44" from island).

There is almost 3' from edge of island to tile/wood transition into great room. Almost 4' to edge of sofa table. Plenty of walkway space between either side of cedar post and island or sofa table.

Here is a link that might be useful: my kitchen

• jenny1963
    13 years ago

Lots of people have your configuration here in the city of Chicago, (as I will, hopefully in the next year.) However, I agree that one doesn't see them particularly often on this forum. It can be a very efficient use of space, an L-shape with an island. You're lucky to be able to put in such a large window. The fridge isn't that far away, or am I missing something?

I was going to put my clean-up sink or range in our island, but was talked out of it here at GW (range possibly dangerous with small kids eating and drawing at island, and I didn't want all my dirties on display in island, particularly as our dining "room" is part of the same room and next to the island.)

My kitchen is probably a lot smaller than yours: 11 x 11ish, though has a separate 5 foot-wide ceiling-height pantry 4 feet away from edge of kitchen counter.

So, I'm probably putting my big sink on the fridge counter run, just 2 feet from my fridge, and my range on the other leg of my L. And then possibly putting a small prep sink on my island (fingers crossed.) I'm not a clean-up as you go person, so I'd love to have a separate prep sink to prep with, while dh is doing dirty dishes in the other sink.

We're in a small urban Victorian house, so we plan on 42" between counters, including from fridge to island. Our island is going to be roughly 5' x 4-5' (as large as we can make it.) We are unable to widen the existing 32" window over the sink, due to being too close to our next-door neighbor (fire code issues,) but plan on bringing the window down to counter height and putting a piece of stained glass.

• jenny1963
    13 years ago

Actually, you have a nice long "L" vs. some of us who don't.

Another beautiful "L" with island is Shanghaimom's (though it's a shorter island and kitchen overall,) but I cannot post a link nor pic since my MacBook's in the shop and I'm using an unfamiliar netbook. Another post that shows a layout like yours is: "Creamy white kitchen-color of trim and coffered ceiling"

I'd love to have your space :-)

• jenny1963
    13 years ago

You CAN absolutely have an AMAZING kitchen with that configuration, with plenty of beauty, function and space!!
    I'm certainly planning on it, and I have less space than you!
    Don't you worry! (I wish I had some after pics to show you.)

(Can you tell you hit a nerve?)lol

• jenny1963
    13 years ago

salmon_slayer: Please say more about you not liking the depth of your sink, please!! How deep is it, and what're its dimensions? Is it your main sink, or prep sink? Thanks!!

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Allison, your kitchen is beautiful!!! Thanks for including the measurements and how they all worked for you. I was surprised at the distance between your island & family room. We are going to have 54". I knew it was tight but it looks tighter then I imagined...but again the plan was to use it more for sitting at the island then a pathway....hopefully that is what it will be. My husband loves granite but he has conceded that it will not be quite the right look in a contempoary kitchen. I love the look of your wood island countertop. How is is looking after using it for 2 years? What kind of maintenece do you have to do? We're pretty gentle on eerything we own and definately have never put a hot pan or cut on any counter we've ever owned.

Jenny, thanks for the heads up about Chicago. On the houzz website, one can search on metro areas.

Though we have the extra side (I would call ours a broken L with an island - no wonder it's hard to find pictures). The "broken" side will house only the frig and pantry.

Boxerpups, can't stop drooling over these kitchens you provide. Hopefully I'm not being too greedy (you spoil all of us with your generous time and dreamy kitchen), can you include in the criteria "range on island" instead of "island work". It's funny when I saw your criteria, I googled it myself and found nothing. I even shrunk my criteria...nothing.

I think I'm more of a "window shopper" when it comes to houses...I like to look when I don't need something and hate to look when I need to.

• jenny1963
    13 years ago

I'm wrong about shanghaimom's kitchen. She doesn't have an "L". Sorry! It's still GORGEOUS though!

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

SamonSlayer, your kitchen is divine! Your granite(?) is beautiful, interesting but not overpowering. What kind is it? How expenive was it? We're going modern/contemporary and that would look magnificent with ours too.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Sure Aloha,
    You are not too greedy. Anything to avoid doing housework.
    Sorry about listing your critera I do this to help me
    skim over my images to quickly find something.

Okay Here goes... "range on island" instead of "island work".
    ~boxer

Mutschler Kitchens inc. Blake

Americas best contractor Great Falls VA

Red Birch Vintage Cabinets NH

Carmel Kitchen island 2

Sudbury Kitchen Design
    image 1

Sudbury Image 2

Sudbury Image 3

Sudbury Image 4

2 cooktops???? Odd this pic is from Luxury Canadian Kitchens

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Boxerpups. Alas, I just posted on my other thread, about my frustratation. Perhaps it's because I'm just not that imaginative but I really need something as closer (or closer) to the one picture I found of yours that you posted on someone else's thread.

I'm going to put this aside for now or it's going to consume me even more then it already has. If during one of your searches for someone else you find somthing that is like the layout you initially found (top on this thread) with the sink and range switched out, please remember me and zip it down my way. Thanks for all your help!!!

• allison0704
    13 years ago

Thanks!

I knew it was tight but it looks tighter then I imagined

I think it looks tighter in pictures than in real life.

We've been in 5 years last September. Not sure where 2 came from. The island is treated with Good Stuff for Wood, ordered online. It's FDA food safe. We don't cut on island though. It's only been retreated twice. Needs it again. I wipe with either Lysol type wipes, a damp sponge or a Trader Joe's cedar spray cleaner. (smells really good)

Here is a link that might be useful: Shanghaimom's kitchen - article

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Aloha,
    I definitely will shoot it your way if I find one.

And it is normal to be frustrated. Keep in mind the
    layout you like in the first photo does not "Always"
    photograph well. This means that it is more popular than you
    realize but it is not one you will find in magazines,
    kitchen blog eye candy,,,because it is difficult to
    capture the entire space. For you the shopper, planner,
    kitchen reno,... it can be frustrating to find a picture
    exactly of what you are looking for.

This is okay, your space will be unique to you and probably
    better than any photo you find.
    peace
    ~boxer

• ironcook
    13 years ago

here's one from atticmag:

there are more pictures in the link below. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: serious cook's kitchen

• ironcook
    13 years ago

gee, i'm actually looking for range hoods, but found you another picture... and this one doesn't even have a hood!

it was one of sabjimata's inspiration pics, i think... i lost track.

from HGTV, Don Raney, interior designer:

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Allison, I figured if your space was 84" and mine will be only 54" it may be too tight, when yours seem just right? We're starting to researach about wood countertops after your inspiration.

Ironcook. Thanks for spotting those pics! I got a kick out of the second one...Raney was my maiden name (pretty rare).

Boxerpups, I want to apologize for my whining. I just don't have the imagination that others have to see past what is already in front of me. Your pics are indeed close to what I need.

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

The kitchen that ironcooks posted above belongs to GWer carecooks.

aloha, how large will your island be? NKBA recommends a mimimum of 12" on one side and 18" (or is it 15"?) on the other. I have 16" on either side of my island cooktop and I find it insufficient, not because of safety concerns (never been an issue for me) but because I like to prep next to my cooktop and 16" doesn't cut it. If you prefer to prep next to your range, please make sure you have enough room to suit your needs.

btw, when we remodel, we're moving our cooktop to the perimeter where I'll have almost 20" on one side and 42-48" on the other (deciding between 30" and 36" cooktop). I can't wait.

Oh, one other thing. Prepare for sticker shock. Island venting, whether hood or downdraft, is more expensive - sometimes many times more - than perimeter venting. Because of that, I'll actually save money by moving my cooktop to the perimeter, even though it requires moving our gas line.

boxerpups, as always, your photo montage rocks!

Here is a link that might be useful: My GW-inspired kitchen is on atticmag.com

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lisa we will have 48" on both sides of the range and 26" in front.

We considered putting the sink on the island and the range on the exterior wall, but we are really into windows. We're willing to give up cabinets, extra expense and some possible inconvenience for a big window. Currently it's almost wall to wall windows towards our lake on the north side. This new window will open up on the West and have views of mountains and two lakes. For us it's more the views on the outside then anything we do on the inside.

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

48" on either side?! Lucky you! I wish I had that much space. And your views! I repeat, lucky you. ;-)

Are you planning on a downdraft then to preserve views or opting for an island hood mounted higher? Back when we were thinking we would only update our kitchen's finishes and appliances, I looked into island hoods to replace our old pop-up downdraft. There are additional challenges with both choices (not all downdrafts will work behind a range) but not insurmountable. Somewhere I read that the higher the CFM, the higher you can mount a hood above the cooktop, but it also helps to go wider and longer, too, to increase the capture area.

btw, I wasn't second guessing your design. I posted my experience in case it might save you from an "uh-oh" moment later. If I knew then what I know now, I would have realized that I'd never be happy with a cooktop in our smallish island.

Good luck! And please post the finished kitchen. It sounds like it will be beautiful.

• malhgold
    13 years ago

Do you have room to do the range and sink on the back wall like in the pic by Randl Bye that Boxerpups posted on Friday at 8:26? You could do the sink closer to the frig or the range closer to the frig with a prep sink in the island.

• salmon_slayer
    13 years ago

sorry i missed the questions, the sink is Rohl Allia and the counter is called "white and gold" and is natural quartzite. Quartzite is harder than granite and we have not been able to etch it yet. A bit pricey but you can spend more...

The sink is 31" x 19.5" x 11" deep. For me leaning over that far gets tough on my back but it hides dishes beautifully

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lisa, thanks for clarifying the space. I'd rather someone question something, then be stuck down the line.

We're looking into getting downdraft for the stove. I know they aren't the greatest but we've never had a problem with the grease build up, but I know from a house we moved into, it can for others.

Malhgold, Buehl came up with a plan that we liked a lot with the stove and sink on the West wall but we ultimately went with the design below because we wanted a big window. We'll only have 90" of upper cabinets (not counting above the frig). We considered putting the range on the West wall and having two 36" window on the sides of the range but that would leave only 60" for cabinets. The west wall we are keeping very simple so it looks like an extention of the great room instead of a kitchen.

{{gwi:1588088}}

• Maureen Dimitri
    13 years ago

Aloha-

I was browsing the backsplash gallery in the Finished Kitchen Blog and saw 2 kitchens that are similar to your proposed layout in that the range/cooktop is in island across from sink with large window. If you go to the FKB look at snowbaby and weegie kitchens. Neither is exactly your layout, but similar. Hope this helps

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks med22. It's so good for me to see these, because of I get another prospective with the different angles pics.

Now I'm concerned about having so few cabinets. Whenever I see a kitchen with somewhat a similiar layout, there is typically other wall(s) with more cabinets. I keep my kitchen pretty simple, but maybe this would be too simple...I know I'm a worry wart.

• Maureen Dimitri
    13 years ago

Aloha-

I know the feeling...we are changing other rooms in our house at same time so while I may gain some storage in kitchen, I am losing some in other rooms. What I did that helped me was to write a list of current cabinets with rough measurement and what's in them. Then I made a copy of my kitchen layout and assigned things to drawers and cabinets. I wanted to make sure I had storage in the right places, but also that I had enough storage. While I am not adding much more cabinets to my kitchen, the new cabinets will be so much more functional and roomier that I feel good that it will work out. Maybe you can try it for your new layout so you don't worry about enough storage.

good luck
    Maureen

• Nancy in Mich
    13 years ago

We have a pop-up downdraft behind our island 36" induction cooktop. We got the GE Profile 36" Telescopic Downdraft System - JVB67ABB. In DH's web reading, he found that there is a vent-duct attachment one can get from GE to allow you to mount the vent fan in-line in the basement. That is something you usually only find in a more expensive downdraft. The downdraft itself (with fan motor) is only about $700 give or take $50. The attachment for the in-line location for the fan is about $80 - $90. So it was a quite reasonable price for a downdraft system. It seems to work well. We do not fry, so it is fine for us.

When we first went shopping for downdrafts, we found out that the better systems are sold piece-by-piece. You buy the downdraft mechanism, and get the fan and motor separately. So if you go to price these kind of vents, make sure you know what you are getting quoted for.