Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Before/after pictures-oak to cream/glazed -pictures

Posted by nodirthere (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 5, 08 at 22:48

We re-did our standard builder's grade oak (nothing wrong w/oak, we had just had them for 4 houses and 20 years)- Re-used all the cabinets we had,filled the wood grain, painted and glazed-cut out the inside and put some glass. I actually had a painter paint and I did the glazing. We redid this for under $9500! That includes the granite, but not the new appliances. We recessed the "ovenwall" 1 foot-and added the foot to the island overhang for more stools and put the GE Cafe slide in where the gas cooktop was. A much more functioning spot and added much needed stool space-So glad it's over-and happy w/the results- gained 10 pounds during the process ordering out so much!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Before/after pictures-oak to cream/glazed -pictures

wow, that is unbelievable! It came out fantastic. You did a beautiful job. My new cabinets are almost the same color! Congrats, lots of luck!

o

HOLY WOW!!! That is a fantastic transformation! I love it. It's so pretty & bright.
Enjoy your beautiful kitchen : )

o

Beautiful. We had oak cabinets too and just replaced them all. I am not going to show this to my DH :) He really did not wnat to replace the cabinets. But your cabinets were much better shape then ours and you door style is more modern.

I think the painter and you did a great job.

o

Ditto on the WOW!!!!

o

OMG, that is an OUTSTANDING job! Besides the lift of the white paint, the elegance of the added glass, detailing and glazing is especially nice. You have every reason to feel proud about this kitchen -- especially to bring it in at under 10k. (Comparing your before and after, looks like it would have been a whole lot more) Congrats!

o

Wonderful job! What a comfortable, light-filled space. It's so elegant and yet welcoming.

o

What a nice makeover--a very impressive job!

o

Wow. Beautiful!

How did you handle the edge of the beaboard on the sides? I am wanting to add some to the ends of my cabinets, but can't figure out if it needs a piee of trim on the edge or not.

o

That is an amazing transformation at an unbelievable cost!!

I am impressed! Congratulations, its beautiful!

o

WOW!!! Looks wonderful - enjoy!

o

Take a bow! That is amazing!

o

What a wonderful kitchen!! What granite did you use?

o

I LOVE seeing this kind of a transformation on a budget. Amazing how just adding the molding details changes the entire proportion of the cabinets so that once you changed the colour they look completely different.

Can you tell more about how you glazed and what you used?

It really looks beautiful - congrats!

o

Amazing transformation. You took a normal kitchen to WOW with just a few changes.

Sky

o

WOW!!!
nodirthere: That is an amazing transformation!
May I ask what paint you used on the cabinets and how you did your glazing? I'm planning on doing the same for my island in my kitchen. I was planning on hiring it out, until I got the estimate. Yours is stunning- how did you do that???

o

Absolutely fabulous! The transformation is an inspiration to those of us who have oak cabs and want painted :)

o

what a great transformation!!! You did an excellent job!

o

Va VOOM!!

This is one of the wisest remodels I have seen on this site! from an investment perspective you have increased the value of your kit/home exponentially - From a function standpoint you have lovely space/layout- overall use
And esthetically how pleasing

One smart cookie - Are you a good bargain hunter?
ENJOY!!!!!! and congrats

o

Yes PLEASE!! I'd also love details on how the grain was filled, and what colours/brand names of paint & glaze you used.

I'd also love to hear how you were inspired to make the changes you did - header part over the sink, beadboard on the end with the 'spindles'. Did you see something & try to imitate it? Or did you develop the ideas in your head? I'm amazed that you could look at the kitchen before and see what it could become.

Hope you read this!
Gail

o

Fantasatic! I am not sure I grasp how you recessed that wall -- did you make the area behind it smaller? I checked against the "before" pics and don't really see a one foot difference. Maybe I don't understand what you meant.. Anyway, thanks for sharing!!

o

Absolutely gorgeous!
One of my favorites and a real inspiration for our DIY kitchen makeover.
I'm with the others...please give us more details - paint, glaze, granite, etc. - that is, if you don't mind.
Thanks for sharing!

o

I can't believe that is the same kitchen, and that those cabinets aren't factory finished. WOW!!

o

You're hired! I love all the detail work and additions that really make the whole thing go pop! I hope you have many happy hours to come in that beautifully transformed space.

o

BEAUUUUUTIFUL!!!
I have dark oak cabinets. Oh, you're making it so HARD for me to decide between going dark (like celticmoon) or light like yours.
I am so split in the middle now!!! Argh.

Just beautiful.
I want ALL the details please. Any step by step on the filling in the grain, painting, glazing process?
I'm going to show your kitchen to DH, who doesn't believe that we can actually improve our cabinets.

o

Beautiful job!

I'm with Gail above--tell us how you did it and what products you used. Jeff

o

I love this, its easy to spend a bunch of money and have a fabulous kitchen, but it really takes a vision to transform an old kitchen. Enjoy!

o

Incredible. It doesn't even look like the same kitchen. Well done!

try_hard

o

I wish I had a dollar for the number of times people scroll up, then down, to see the contrast in your Before & After shots! I did it, at least, half a dozen times myself! What an amazing transformation!

I hope you will post it on the Finished Kitchens Blog because I know it's one that will be referenced often. Congratulations on your hard work and ingenuity!

o
RE:all the details and formulas for painting oak cabinets

Wow- Thank you all so much for all your wonderful compliments! I never did a forum before and have learned so much from all of you-hope I can give some knowledge back. Many have asked for details so here they are- I hope this will save someone else some time. In full disclosure,my painter did everything but the glazing and design work and leg work- he did a fabulous job achieving the result I wanted. I wanted a more French country feel and did not want to see the oak grain at all.(I felt that would look less elegant and more rustic)
This was the process on the cabinet doors (taken off)-product sprayed on unless otherwise noted:
1. coat of Insl-x STIX Primer
2. Spackled smooth coat of MH Ready patch by Zinsser (this was after an attempt w/a wood filler that proved to not fill the grain as much as I wanted- I wanted a piano finish, I'm sure there is something out there that would be easier, and there are lots of fillers we found, but they would not fill ALL the grain, so we went right to the MH.)
3. Sanded w/hand sander -start out bigger grit end end w/fine-(120)
4. Coat of Insl-x Stix Primer (this stuff really works)
5. 2-3 coats of Benjamin Moore Satin Impervo-
Custom color Formula:
Pastel base 314-1B-1
oy-31
bk-7
og-6
6. Hand glaze-Custom color Benjamin Moore Glaze
base-409-00-4
bk-6
Br-4
og-3
oy-14
wh-12
I used medium size sponge brushes and lots of paper towels-(use Viva -all the difference in the world!)- you could use cotton rags, but I found the viva was the easiest in keeping the rest of the cabinet clean by changing them out frequently.
There were so many coats of stuff that it made my corners less than 45 degrees and difficult to wipe the glaze on then wipe off leaving the glaze in the edge of cabinet trim. I had to create the line by painting it on w/pointy sponge tips and dragging it along the line. This is kind of hard to explain-think of when you are caulking and go back and smooth it out and the caulk stays in the corner of your line w/ a nice finish on the outside- same thing-I ran into problems when the corners got filled w/too much coatings and had to "create" the line- our else I would go back and wipe the whole line off.
Hope I'm explaining this ok-I did try brushes but found it easier to drag the glaze than brush it- I kept thinking there had to be a better way, but never did find one (it was about 45 min each cabinet). I only did the trim corners- I did not do the whole cabinet w/ a washed glaze effect- I have seen it but didn't think I wanted that much "aging" -and wasn't THAT confident in my abilities.
Other details- all trim work was hardwood not oak, since we were painting it anyway-saved lots of $ w/ that.
The "table legs" on the island are actually newall post for stairs sold at minards for $30, w/the ball cut off the top- hugely cheeper than buying an island leg!
The corner spindles are actually $12 wall corner guards from Minards and Home Depot. Wasn't sure about them and haven't glazed them yet because of that-now I'm just getting use to them. Filled in the difference between bead board and corner w/spackle-smoothed it out.
Beadboard just the big sheets-tried glazing it but just looked way too "stripey" and wanted to minimize the country look so left it alone.
Granite is Uba Tuba-ogee edge- I am so glad I did the slight archon the island and little scallop in- last minute idea and it really made a difference.
Base trim- hemmed and hawed getting rid of the toe kick-especially w/ cream cabs- but so glad I did -all for that furniture look.
Glass cabinets were the cabinets above the wall oven-cut out the inside- had my local glass cutter fit some glass to the frame- glass shelf for inside cabinet. Cut 1 foot off the depth of the floor cabinets and reattached to the wall- lost the drawers.
Tile backsplash is acid washed tumbled travertine. The embossed tiles under mw and repeated under the glass cabinets were from Home Depot and ceramic -very inexpensive $3. They even have light switch covers that match the travertine there.
Lighting above and below cabinets are those little round halogen lights from HD.
Ok- that's all the detail I can think of -someone asked how this came to be- I poured through 100's of magazines and websites for a long time- and saved pictures that I liked-also I visited the big stores and took all their cabinet catalogs I could- those really helped w/the wood bridge detail over the window and those details. In painting cabinets you can hide lots of mistakes and miscuts w/ putty and spackle-would do it all over again-
Hope this helps someone save 1 trip back to the hardware store! Thanks again for the kudos-nodirthere (in reference that I do not garden, not the cleanliness of my house- I can assure you my kitchen doesn't look like this today)-Gotta go shovel out -got 12" at least in n. Illinois today......

o
Details

Wow- Thank you all so much for all your wonderful compliments! I never did a forum before and have learned so much from all of you-hope I can give some knowledge back. Many have asked for details so here they are- I hope this will save someone else some time. In full disclosure,my painter did everything but the glazing and design work and leg work- he did a fabulous job achieving the result I wanted. I wanted a more French country feel and did not want to see the oak grain at all.(I felt that would look less elegant and more rustic)
This was the process on the cabinet doors (taken off)-product sprayed on unless otherwise noted:
1. coat of Insl-x STIX Primer
2. Spackled smooth coat of MH Ready patch by Zinsser (this was after an attempt w/a wood filler that proved to not fill the grain as much as I wanted- I wanted a piano finish, I'm sure there is something out there that would be easier, and there are lots of fillers we found, but they would not fill ALL the grain, so we went right to the MH.)
3. Sanded w/hand sander -start out bigger grit end end w/fine-(120)
4. Coat of Insl-x Stix Primer (this stuff really works)
5. 2-3 coats of Benjamin Moore Satin Impervo-
Custom color Formula:
Pastel base 314-1B-1
oy-31
bk-7
og-6
6. Hand glaze-Custom color Benjamin Moore Glaze
base-409-00-4
bk-6
Br-4
og-3
oy-14
wh-12
I used medium size sponge brushes and lots of paper towels-(use Viva -all the difference in the world!)- you could use cotton rags, but I found the viva was the easiest in keeping the rest of the cabinet clean by changing them out frequently.
There were so many coats of stuff that it made my corners less than 45 degrees and difficult to wipe the glaze on then wipe off leaving the glaze in the edge of cabinet trim. I had to create the line by painting it on w/pointy sponge tips and dragging it along the line. This is kind of hard to explain-think of when you are caulking and go back and smooth it out and the caulk stays in the corner of your line w/ a nice finish on the outside- same thing-I ran into problems when the corners got filled w/too much coatings and had to "create" the line- our else I would go back and wipe the whole line off.
Hope I'm explaining this ok-I did try brushes but found it easier to drag the glaze than brush it- I kept thinking there had to be a better way, but never did find one (it was about 45 min each cabinet). I only did the trim corners- I did not do the whole cabinet w/ a washed glaze effect- I have seen it but didn't think I wanted that much "aging" -and wasn't THAT confident in my abilities.
Other details- all trim work was hardwood not oak, since we were painting it anyway-saved lots of $ w/ that.
The "table legs" on the island are actually newall post for stairs sold at minards for $30, w/the ball cut off the top- hugely cheeper than buying an island leg!
The corner spindles are actually $12 wall corner guards from Minards and Home Depot. Wasn't sure about them and haven't glazed them yet because of that-now I'm just getting use to them. Filled in the difference between bead board and corner w/spackle-smoothed it out.
Beadboard just the big sheets-tried glazing it but just looked way too "stripey" and wanted to minimize the country look so left it alone.
Granite is Uba Tuba-ogee edge- I am so glad I did the slight archon the island and little scallop in- last minute idea and it really made a difference.
Base trim- hemmed and hawed getting rid of the toe kick-especially w/ cream cabs- but so glad I did -all for that furniture look.
Glass cabinets were the cabinets above the wall oven-cut out the inside- had my local glass cutter fit some glass to the frame- glass shelf for inside cabinet. Cut 1 foot off the depth of the floor cabinets and reattached to the wall- lost the drawers.
Tile backsplash is acid washed tumbled travertine. The embossed tiles under mw and repeated under the glass cabinets were from Home Depot and ceramic -very inexpensive $3. They even have light switch covers that match the travertine there.
Lighting above and below cabinets are those little round halogen lights from HD.
Ok- that's all the detail I can think of -someone asked how this came to be- I poured through 100's of magazines and websites for a long time- and saved pictures that I liked-also I visited the big stores and took all their cabinet catalogs I could- those really helped w/the wood bridge detail over the window and those details. In painting cabinets you can hide lots of mistakes and miscuts w/ putty and spackle-would do it all over again-
Hope this helps someone save 1 trip back to the hardware store! Thanks again for the kudos-nodirthere (in reference that I do not garden, not the cleanliness of my house- I can assure you my kitchen doesn't look like this today)-Gotta go shovel out -got 12" at least in n. Illinois today......

o

You are such an inspiration to someone who is waiting to be inspired! This is what I should do instead of tearing out perfectly good oak cabinets that I've grown tired of seeing every morning when I go in to make coffee. I've thought of this alternative many times but have never been sure if I'll be happy with a 'face lift' only. I'm going to show this to my DH and see what his thoughts are. Thanks so much for sharing your efforts. You should be so proud ;-)

o

Another WOW!!

I wanted to do the same thing but was oh so chicken. Great job! hmmmm, you've given me a new idea -although my countertop and everything else is installed!!

ENJOY!!

o

Beautiful job--love the addition of the shelves on the end of the island!

I have asked this question before of DIYers but still don't have a good grasp--I notice that you added some trim to the bottom of the upper cabinets to cover the undercabinet lighting--I would like to do this but am clueless as how to attach it. Do you have any pictures or can you explain the process?

Thanks,
Nancy

o

Your kitchen is stunning! Your hard work certainly paid off (ten-fold, I'm sure).

Did you put any clear, protective coat on the cabinets. Do you think it's necessary?

o

WOW
Amazing Transformation-

o

Wow, sounds like a lot of work, but what a payoff! I love it.

Can I ask where you got the stools? I would love those!

o

What an amazing transformation!
May I archive your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog? If so please submit the Category Checklist form so I can easily categorize your kitchen.
Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

o

An absolutely stunnningly beautiful transformation! This is my idea of the perfect kitchen. Of course, I also choose white cabinets with a glaze, hardwood floors, and a dark countertop.

o

Starpooh-Thank you-and yes you can archive it-is there a way to put the before/after pictures next to each other so you don't have to scroll? also- How do I delete the second posting of the details?-I got a message it didn't go through and changed the subject and accidently posted twice (sorry-I'm a newby at posting, still learning)Thank you for the help!
teched- the stools are from HOBO- a discount big hardware store in N. IL-not sure if it is national-$19- I am a bargain hunter in case you haven't noticed!-they may not have them anymore, but I have seen them at Linens and things- or Bedbathbeyond-they were reasonable there too.
houseful-no I did not put a clear protective coat, but considered it after the wine rack on top of the fridge(NEVER again will I put anything like that up there!) came crashing down when it's leg got caught on the fridge door when my DH opened it -breaking 2 bottles of red wine and splattering it all over my newly painted cabinets- got it all cleaned up, but 2 cabinets had stained wine streaks- tried everything-goo gone, magic erase, bleach cleaner-nothing got it out-had to re-paint w/fine roller- it came out ok-I asked my painter about putting a poly coat on after that-he really felt that anything else would come off (and it has)- and it was such a mess that took a long time to clean up(w/all the broken glass) so it sat on the cabinets , and they weren't as cured as they are now-so I decided against it, but I think it is worth looking into- Maybe someone on this site can make a recommendation? Thank you all again for all the nice compliments-this has been a very rewarding experience-thank you

o

Someone in the home decorating forum just linked to this thread. I wanted to say your kitchen is beautiful and very similar to what we are hoping to transform ours into. Can you tell me the measurements of your kitchen? We also have a wall of cabinets that we want to push back a foot to make room for stools at the island.

o

Oh my goodness -- I absolutely LOVE what you did and am flipping over the cost! What a great job you did!

I must echo the request for measurements. You've already been very generous sharing photos and all the how-to info...but I'm so excited to see your measurements because this is pretty much exactly one of the designs that I have in mind for our kitchen redo...it's going to take a lot more to get us there, though (we're adding onto the house to add a mudroom, office, and more kitchen space). I love that wall of 1' cabinets...lovely and practical!

One more teeny-tiny request...could you please add a photo taken from the fridge end of the room? Am curious to see what your table area looks like. Thx!

o

Sorry it took me so long to get back -my kitchen is 13 ft wide and 13 1/2 ft long. We have 9ft ceilings. We had to take back the cabinets 1 ft for more passage space- I left one tall shelf in those cabinets and I find it is perfect for cereal boxes- the kids eat right at the counter and it is a convenient place for all of the breakfast stuff. The one foot is not alot of counter, but we have used it to set up the wine bar when we entertain- I am having technical difficulties w/my camera at the moment-the eating area is typical-you can see the chandelier in the corner of the pictures and we have a table in front of the sliding door-then it opens to the family room. Good luck w/your remodel. I am really happy w/extra seating-(I have 3 kids)-no regrets giving up the cabinet space- have a wonderful journey-I'll be watching for your pics!

o

all i can say is thank heavens my husband does not visit this site!!!!

lolololol

absolutely stunning and beautiful

i, too, appreciate the budget you did this under

you should be soooooo proud

o

wow, what a beautiful transformation and you had tons to do. Wow, is all I can say!

o

Seeing your before/after kitchen photos gives me more pleasure! You did a fantastic job. Enjoy that beautiful kitchen!

o

Thanks for your reply with the measurements. Our kitchen is also 13 feet wide. Do you know the width of your aisles and the size of your island? Your kitchen is giving us some great inspiration for ours!

The cost of your remodel included redoing the cabinets, new granite, new backsplash, lights above and below the cabinets and what else? Trying to get an idea of what to expect costwise with our kitchen.

o

Are the lights above your island left from before the redo? I love those and they would be perfect for my kitchen redo. They match my breakfast room chandlier really well. Do you know who made them, style number, where you got them or any info that would help me?

Your transformation is incredible!! I love it. I would like to paint my island, but I'm too chicken. Its cherry wood with a cherry stain as are my cabinets.

o

Hockeymom- the island is 26" cabs and the granite is 38" at the widest (it's arched)-the aisles are both 39"- I think the min. suggested is normally 36". It depends on what your layout is, but you may need more behind the stools- the area behind our stools is not part of the kitchen triangle, so it works for us-my stools are "saddle stools" and wide but not deep and fit under the island overhang really well- I like the look of stools w/backs- but they get in the way of serving buffet style food on the island which we do a lot of- My under $10,000 price tag includes everything but the appliances - but I have an awesome painter/handyman who did the majority of the work for $4000- I got a great price on my granite from a local guy-and he included the sink-$3500 installed-the backsplash was $900 installed total-
I fell into some great prices- the granite guy had a bunch of Uba tuba in stock and had the acid wash tumbled travertine in stock for the back splash, so he gave me super prices-I had a great experience working w/ a local guy and he didn't nickel and dime me on the extras on the design like the arch in the island-I think this is an upcharge at HD-(They wanted $7500) for basic cut out. The lights were those halagen puck lights at HD -my painter put them up-don't think this was very hard and less than $200.
debbie- my lights were there before -we didn't change them- I think they are (something)Feiss (sp)-can't remember the first part of the mnf. name -they are over 6 years old-I have a friend that got them at Expo (I got them at a local lighting co)is it holly feiss, molly feiss....the memory is going-sorry

o

Thanks so much, I am saving the photos of your kitchen and clipping parts of this thread. We are still in the planning stages but you have helped a lot!

o

Holy freaking cow...I'm not sure I believe it's the same cabinets and kitchen! heh heh It's really something to be VERY proud of! This was very well done in all areas of the job!

o

Fantastic kitchen!!! I have the exact same oak cabinets and I'm planning to paint them a very similar color scheme as yours. I want the really smooth look without the grains as well.

Where did you buy the MH Ready patch by Zinsser that you were talking about? My local Lowes and Home Depot don't seem to have it. Or maybe I didn't look in the right place. Thanks so much!

o

I do believe you should win the "bamaspice" award!

o

The new island is SOOOOOO much better looking than the old one! Good work!

o
follow up

amcofar- is this a forum award?-ha-thanks
jayman7- We got the ready patch at a local paint shop-They sell Benjamin Moore paint etc. I was hoping someone would post a better way to fill the grain to save you some trouble- the original grain filler we used, I think it was by Old world, just didn't completely fill in the grain. Good luck!

o

nodirthere: I say it is. bamapsice upgraded her existing cabinets and kitchen details from a "homely" duckling into a swan as you did.

Today, I awarded the "sharb" award to mnhockeymom for similar high-end remodeling and design of her kitchen.

There are many very talented folks on GW. I think the stellar designs deserve an award, so I made some up!

o

nodirthere - thanks for the info. Rather than searching all my local paint stores, I found it online and ordered a quart.

Here is a link that might be useful: MH Ready Patch at buy.com

o
blogging back

amcofar-I love them- bamaspice has a nice ring to it- I picked my name on a whim-not thinking I would really be posting....(it was in reference to my lack of interest and inability to garden or keep a plant alive!-not my cleanliness)- then I got sucked into this forum-and now I can't stop- there is so much talent and great ideas -
so what is sharb-I will check the finished kitchen blog....

o

LOVE IT!! What did you use for a glaze? I love the molding you added to top and bottom!! Very inspirational :)

o

NEVER MIND, JUST SAW THE GLAZE NAME UP TOP. THANKS

o

This is a remarkable difference! I love your new kitchen!

o

I have been recommened Fine Paints of Europe Brushing Putty. It is is basically a thick primer. I think there may be a forum member who used this-try a search. I had alenght discussion with my local FPE retailer, and this stuff is supposed to be great-no sanding invloved after it goes on. I am planning on buying Oak IKEA cabs and using this underneath the color coat to achieve a smooth finish.

o

amberley-getting the grain out was the most challenging part of the project- just curious- why are you buying oak cabinets and then filing the grain?- could you just buy maple and forgo this step? I tried searching for an easy way out w/filing the grain but didn't find it- can't wait to see how the brushing putty works-as I am going to start the bathrooms soon. Please post if you use it.

o

Just ran across this thread. I am in the process of having my Mom's cabinets redone/painting. They were a maple type and I want to paint in a nice Benj. Moore Cream color. Any suggestions of what color cream or direct me to another thread that has this information?

Thank you for the help.

o

REALLY amazing. For anyone with a layout worth preserving, your kitchen is a testament to the fact that old cabinets can be saved!!!!! I'm really impressed.

o

Dixiedog-- if you like the cream color I have-scroll up- it's a custom cream color- I posted the formula- so far the BM Impervo has held up well.

o

nodirthere, can you tell me if your cabinets are Cardill 360 series? I am trying to figure out how easy we can transform ours (color, knobs/pulls, etc.). Your kitchen before pics look quite similar to what we started with.

Anything you can tell us would be most welcome.

o

nodirthere -- I got through painting a small set of cabinets in my kitchen per your advice and I'm pleased with how they turned out! I wanted to try my hand from start to finish for a couple before I do the rest of my cabinets, so I get the technique down and learn what to do and not to do. I'm looking for satin nickel hardware, but while I'm doing that I'm looking to glaze it as well. Since I never glazed before I'm curious what color you used. I know you gave the BM formula, but is there a way you can take a picture of the color so I have a good idea of what shade/color of Behr to get? I would appreciate it, thanks!!

o

Wow nodirthere that is a totally amazing transformation!! You have definitely updated things to a very sophisticated level and on a budget. I love the "cutout" corners of the island and the frosted glass. Very nice!!!

o

jayman7-I'm on the road for spring break (Fripp Island SC)so I can't take a pic- the HD can convert the BM formula posted above (at least I know they can do it for paint-probably can do it for glaze)-it is a bit on the taupe side -looks much lighter on the cabinets--than in the can.
pugger- my cabinets are low grade Merillat -they don't even have a raised panel in the middle-go for it!

o

Your "new" cabinets look so much better than before. Congratulations.

o

I absolutely love your kitchen re-do. I'm also in the market for refacing/replacing/painting my oak cabs. This seems like the most economical route - since I have 39 doors and 18 drawer fronts. I also live in northern Illinois and wonder if you'd be willing to share the name of your painter. (Not sure I'm up for all the glazing work, though. Beautiful!

o

darcymom- thank you- I can give you my painter's name and number-are we suppose to post on this forum #'s ?haven't seen any-so I hesitate- how to get this info to you? Anyone know?

o

Nodirthere - thanks for the quick response. I was just wondering the same thing. Although I joined the forum a year ago, this is my first post. I'm just a lurker! Maybe someone can enlighten us??

o

nodirthere-

sorry for the lapsed rsponse-

I am buying IKEA cabs, so there isn't a maple or flatter wood grain to choose from in the style I like. I am going to try to tint the Brushing Putty myself (they can't do it at the store- it is really thick). Reason is- I plan to do a bit of sand-through so I can get that "old" look, and I don't want it to be white showing through.

o

Nodirthere-I've enabled a way for you to email me the painters name, if you will. I just keep coming back to your kitchen! I'm not thrilled with my oak cabs - partial overlay, but I did add crown to them a few years ago. And I still like the layout. We also have a good friend who's a master cabinetmaker and I may have him conceal toe kicks, etc. In a perfect world, I'd have him build me a new kitchen, but. . . one can dream!

o

Darcymom-How do I e-mail you?
amberley-got ya- I like the look of roughing up the edges-my friend did that-but she left the grain- it was a more rustic look she was after in her northwoods cabin.

o

Wow! Looks fantastic! What a tranformation! Great job!

o

All I can say is wow! My cabinets are probably the exact same one's (Merillat) except mine have the really ugly pickled oak finish. I have basically the same backsplash and was worried about painting my cabinets cream (too much cream) but you have convinced me to go for it. I also love the beadboard on the exposed sides. I had not really thought about putting moulding on the bottom of the top cabinets but it really adds to the overall look.

Now to find a painter/artist in Arizona to do the work! That is half the work!

o

Hi nodirthere. I have been looking at your kitchen transformation on this site for a while now. I am soooo impressed, it is beautiful! It gives me hope for my own kitchen. I am getting ready to try painting my "pickled oak" 1994 Merillat kitchen cabinets. I can't decide whether I am going to do a plain white finish or a cream w/glaze finish like you did. We are also planning on going with Uba Tuba granite for our countertops. My question for you is: Before step one with the first coat of primer, did your painter do an initial sanding or liquid deglossing? Or did he put the primer right on top of the original oak finish? I'm also assuming that he sprayed on the first coat of primer too, right? It sure would be nice to avoid sanding all of my cabinets first if I knew the primer would stick well without sanding or liquid deglossing. Thanks for your help. I will definitely try to post before and after pictures when I get finished, so that I can help inspire others like you have inspired me.

o

I feel bad I "moved on" to the laundry room blog (moved my laundry to the 2nd floor)and haven't checked in here in so long and changed my name- nodirthere was in reference that I don't garden not the cleanliness of my house/laundry. Sailorchick- you are probably long done w/ your kitchen- I tell everyone- buy the best primer you can- no pre-sanding needed- just clean very well. Cabinets are still holding up- love em. Are your pics posted?

o

Hi momof3kids. I came across this a while back, and I am about to begin my own kitchen transformation. My cabs look exactly like yours, but in that pinky-pickled look. I have a few questions I was hoping you'd help with:

1. Did you strip the cabs first or just clean and primer then fill and primer again?

2. Please explain the process of the beadboard and the furniture style trim in place of the kickplate. What did you use and how did you attach it?

I will echo the wow and add a bravo! I am amazed at the difference you made, it's really beautiful. I plan on plain white, I may keep my existing counter tops or may relaminate if it's cheap enough, and a periwinkle ish color on the walls. I haven't decided on tile yet, that's a few more months down the road.

I appreciate your help, and I applaud your work!

o
painting oak cabinets

Molly3573-I did not strip the cabinets -clean /fill/prime-
The base board trim is just taller base trim from Home Depot- I used the pre-primed faux wood stuff and I used a newall (sp?) post cut down for the corners of the island and corner guards for the corner of the cabinets to dress them up. The bead board was just the pine bead board sheets (4x8) at Home Depot primed and painted with the same. I did not glaze them like the cabinets. All attached with a brad nailer- small trim nails would work and a hammer-but take longer- hope this helps -adding crown molding really gave the best bang for the buck as an upgrade- good luck with your kitchen!

o

Hi momof3kids! Looks like you are still checking this post. Would you be willing to share the name of your painter? We are also in Northern IL and looking to do the same thing! You can email me at skigirl2121 @ yahoo Thank you so much! Hope the cabinets are still holding up.

o

Totally inspirational. Such a nice upgrade and transformation of builder grade cabinets. Shows what some vision and hard work can do.....you have really created a compelling gorgeous area out of a Plain Jane kitchen! You are right about the arched overhang and the little curved edges--they really do make that island so special :)

o

I too am from Northern Illinois & I have your identical oak builder cabinets. They are only 6 years old but I can't stand the oak look. I have been researching all your steps on practice cabinet doors but the grain filler is a bit intimidating. Is your painter willing to take on some more kitchen cabinets & some ubba tubba granite.

o

momof3kids, I hope you are still checking in on this post. I was wondering if you could give another update on your cabs. How is the paint holding up? I have been wanting to do this for years but too fearful of the grain showing through and not getting that 'not so oak' finish. Thanks for the inspiration!!

o

HI Mom of 3 kids. I am amazed at the transformation of your kitchen. You are very creative! I also live in Northern il. I was wondering if you would share your painters info with me. How has the paint job held up over time? Do you have to remove the cabinets to paint them? What steps do you need to take to paint the insides of the cabinets? Did you reuse the shelves inside or did you put new ones in? You can email me ine info at rozee1971@yahoo.com. Thanks so much! I hope you are enjoying your beautiful Kitchen!

o

Hi! You mentioned that you removed the toe kick - what did you put in it's place, and did you paint it pure white despite the cream cabinets? Also, the cabinets appear to be pretty white. Would you say they are more off white than pure white? Thanks!

o

AWESOME kitchen redo! I am, just now starting to prime my cabinets for painting, so, I'm just in the beginning stages, but, I hope my kitchen turns out as nice as yours, it truly is a great makeover, you & your painter have done a great job. I don't know if I'm going to glaze my cabinets, I want to, but, my man doesn't think he likes the look, I think he's crazy lol, but, I guess I'll let him get away with it THIS TIME since he pays half the bills :P Anyway, your kitchen is beautiful, you should be very proud!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here