Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
polie_gw

soapstone counter edge

polie
16 years ago

For those who have soapstone countertops, does your counter abut the wall/backsplash or do you have a 3-4 inch soapstone edge that is perpendicular to the edge of the countertop? Is there an advantage to one style over the other?

Comments (12)

• sugarbreak
    16 years ago

I prefer a tiled backsplash that goes all the way to the countertop eliminating the 4" piece. Otherwise I would have it.

• twoyur
    16 years ago

for most of the counter we have the 4 inch piece
    Behind the range the soapstone goes from counter top height to the bottom of the range hood

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

Our stone abuts the wall. We don't have the 4" piece along the back. Right now we don't have anything behind it but are considering some options such as tile or beadboard. My DH really likes it as is.

• dixielogs
    16 years ago

our soapstone goes to the wall. we will be putting soapstone mosaic tile on the backsplash

• rgillman
    16 years ago

Dixie - where did you find soapstone mosaic tile???

• polie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for your responses. From the variety of responses, it sounds like it's a matter of taste and preference instead of a performance related issue like ease of installation or ease of cleaning.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    16 years ago

We have a 1"x 3/4" tiny backsplash. The tumbled marble mini bricks sit on top of that.

{{gwi:1598161}}

• Linda Ross
    16 years ago

I really like the look of that Babka, can you show me a closer view of the backsplash? Why did you decide on the narrow soapstone piece on the back instead of running the tile to the countertop?

• Babka NorCal 9b
    16 years ago

It is my personal preference. All of the "older" countertops I've seen in homes have developed a crack along the plane where the countertop meets the wall due to house settling and/or earthquakes. I think it finishes off the countertop the same way baseboards do along a floor/wall. I like the way it looks.

In this closeup you can see that the wall was not perfectly flat. That is not apparent when you look at it while standing in front of the cooktop.

{{!gwi}}

• tetrazzini
    16 years ago

I'm with you, Babka. I think the 4" backsplash serves the purpose of covering the corner where countertop and wall meet. I also much prefer this look to the wall-to-counter joint, but that is an aesthetic call. I'm surprised how many pictures I see of counters lacking the backsplash these days. It must be a new trend.

• plants4
    16 years ago

I'm totally undecided about this aesthetic call. Yours looks great Babka.

What did they do in the olden days? Calling Francyyyyy!!!

• ali440
    16 years ago

Raynag- Dorado Soapstone has mosaic tiles.
    {{gwi:1595776}}

{{!gwi}}

and WOW!!! babka!!! we are waiting for that exact stone, well one that looks like it to arrive from brazil! you have just made me so excited again! we have been waiting quite a while but it is absolutley worth it now! we also used shaker style doors in a darker finish. THANK YOU FOR POSTING THE PHOTOS!! :)