Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tb151_gw

TB151 75% Done Kitchen Reveal

TB151
10 years ago

Hi everyone, this forum has been awesome and absolutely instrumental in our kitchen remodel . What began as a desire to give a basic facelift has turned into a labor of love. My wife and I designed it, and did all of the demo, prep and paint. I also acted as the GC. We have 1 and 3 year old boys and entertain alot, so we needed something beautiful yet functional. We made sure our aisles were extra wide to handle the madness..err traffic :-). We still have some final details to finish up including backsplash, furniture for the sitting area and a giant custom blackboard. But of course we wanted to share some updates for all of you!

Cabinets: Custom inset shaker. White Dove perimeter with a custom stained island by Northeast Woodworking Products of Raymond, NH.

Counters: Super White

Range: Blue Star 36" RCS

Microwave: Kenmore Elite Built In Speed Oven (installed in island)

Dishwasher: Miele

Fridge: LG Counter Depth

Hood: RangeCraft Pro Style

Lights: Quorum International Chrome Pendants over the island, and a small one over the sink. LED under cabinet lights.

Sink: Kraus 32" undermount single bowl

Faucet: Danze Parma Single Mount Spring

Beverage Center: Avanti Double Door

Hardware: Lee Valley

I will update this thread as we wrap up the final pieces, and we hope you like it!

First the before. The house is only 10 years old but was certainly builder grade and super dark.

The after, quite a big change.

You'll see some of the sample tiles for the backsplash.

This will be a sitting area with a few chairs

My artsy pic...We still need to paint the trim around this window. Also, most of these pictures were taken during a blizzard

Comments (35)

• kellysar
    10 years ago

Your kitchen is so beautiful! You did a wonderful job, and looking forward to seeing the backsplash.

• sixkeys
    10 years ago

Wow, beautiful! Enjoy!!! Please update when you are done. :)

• cani
    10 years ago

Beautiful! I'm waiting to see the backsplash too.

• crl_
    10 years ago

Lovely! The countertop is so beautiful, interesting but not overwhelming.

• TB151
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the kind words!

• gr8daygw
    10 years ago

I love your kitchen and countertop is gorgeous. Love your dog too.

• Mags438
    10 years ago

Beautiful and what a transformation. Hard to believe it's the same kitchen.

• Lisa
    10 years ago

Really beautiful. The combination of Superwhite counters, white and black cabinets is one of my favorites. Love your beverage center, your cabinets, counter, pendants, and that rug looks perfect!

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

Very, very nice. I like the pendants over the island alot.

• TB151
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Icskaisgir, you have no idea how long it took for us to agree on that rug. It was definitely the hardest fought battle of the entire reno. Now we have to find another for the seating area and we're both dreading it!

Thanks for the great compliments, I wanted to add a few more pics of the journey!

Taking down the existing cabinets. We wanted to sell them and devised our super specialized "pillow method" for the uppers. It cushioned the fall and actually worked perfectly.

Our oldest getting his shot at a first coat of primer! He was in heaven to say the least, as was the ever present Colonel.

Once we removed the cabinets, we had the electricians rough in the wiring for under cabinet lights, island power and outlets, and change two recessed lights to pendents. I was going to be hooking up the under cabinet lights so they left the wires attached to the walls. The cabinet maker then drilled holes in the lower part of the cabinets to line up with them.

Love this pic, the cabinet guys stacked some drawers in our living room on the first day of install. These should be able to take alot of abuse..

Here are the counters on the day of templating. I started a thread about this at the time since I was actually going in to lay our template on other slabs, but fell in love with these.

Installing the island slab, 8 ft long x 40" wide. In this pic you will also see that the island legs are hollow. This was awesome because we ran power up into each from the basement and have hidden color matched outlets in them.

WHen looking for a hood, I read about Rangecraft here on the forum. I found a model we loved and found an excuse to schedule some meetings in NYC so that I could go pick it up! They have an awesome facility and the people were very nice, this is one of their rooms, they have some serious machinery.

All loaded up

This post was edited by TB151 on Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 11:56

• amck2
    10 years ago

You've created a beautiful and functional kitchen! The addition of the beverage center is going to serve you so well when entertaining. All your thoughtful choices work very nicely together.

Thanks for all the "in progress" photos, like the pillow trick for cabinet removal. I've tentatively chosen another range hood, but will check out Rangecraft info. That brand was not on my radar.

Your family will be enjoying this kitchen for years to come. Great job!

• phillyfeet
    10 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! I have been waiting to see more pictures ever since you posted a few teaser shots around Christmas time! Thanks for sharing.
    I hope you and your family spend many happy years enjoying your new space.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

The cabinet details are beautiful and I like the counter slabs and the way that the pattern is evenly distributed through out the slabs. Gorgeous.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

That island is gorgeous in every way, congratulations! Thank you for all the terrific pictures, the lights and rug are perfect complements to that beautiful space, wishing you many happy meals with your beautiful family!

• romy718
    10 years ago

I remember when you spotted the Super White & changed slabs. They are even more beautiful in your kitchen. Great kitchen. Love the rug too!

• Lake_Girl
    10 years ago

Is Super White granite or marble? It's so pretty!

• TB151
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much everyone!

That's a great question Lake Girl and if you search around you will certainly find A LOT of commentary on the subject. It's technically Quartzite. What people call Super White can vary and per the bottle test and quite a bit of abuse already, ours is certainly on the hard Quartzite end of the spectrum.

• TB151
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I realized I didn't add any pictures of the front of the Island. The first part is our pull our garbage/recycling. The next 2 sections are drawers on top of course, and then underneath each of the door areas has 2 pull out shelfs with soft close hardware on them as well. The last section is Microwave/Speed Oven. We LOVE that thing, it's great to be able to bake smaller batches of things without any warm up time. For the big stuff, the Blue Star range fits commercial size baking sheets.

The island looks alot lighter in this picture due to alot of flash, but the other pictures are much more representative of it's dark color. You do see the grain of the wood, which we wanted to see, rather than having it as thick as paint. This is why we chose stain for it.

• phillyfeet
    10 years ago

So many things i love about your kitchen. thanks for showing a close up of the island. just wondering what the approximate length of it is.

• nhbaskets
    10 years ago

TB, thanks so much for posting pictures of your beautiful kitchen. Having met your cabinetmaker, I know the quality product you have. The Super White is gorgeous! We've also selected SW and I can only hope ours is as spectacular. Can't wait to see what you do for your backsplash. Want to give us a clue? I'm sure you and your family will enjoy this for years to come. Bravo! Well done!

• TB151
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Philly! The island is a bit over 8ft long and about 40" wide. We made it wider at the last minute because we wanted more leg room for those sitting on the stools.

• threegraces
    10 years ago

I just love, love, love your countertops! Oh, makes me wish I had really pursued that Super White - swoon! Great remodel and I love that bar-height highchair - cool idea.

• Errant_gw
    10 years ago

It's perfect :) I wish I had the room to do something like that with mine.

• TB151
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi everyone, another step closer as I've finished our blackboard! I built this from scratch, and painted it using the color on our Island. The kids are loving it and we've started putting down our weekly menus too. I was able to learn how to use a Kregg Jig for pocket holes, and got to practice my other woodworking skills. It was aloof fun! I also included a brighter shot of some drawers and hardware because people have been asking to see them in a bit more detail.

Hope you like it!

• Lauraeds
    10 years ago

Those counters are beautiful. Can't wait to see more!

• feisty68
    10 years ago

Love the blackboard. Your kitchen looks lovely and functional.

• phillyfeet
    10 years ago

Great Job!! I'm still in love your beautiful kitchen.

Just wondering if you can give an update on how you like your Bluestar. After a lot of agonizing over the range decision, yesterday i finally decided to go with the same one and looking for some reassurance!

• aries61
    10 years ago

Very nice kitchen. Curious, the upper and lower cabinets to the left of the sink, are they blind corner cabinets? Also, How much did you bump out the sink cabinet? Did you get a deeper sink base or just bump it out away from the wall.

Thanks

• sixkeys
    10 years ago

Really beautiful! Thanks for sharing additional photos. Can I ask which hardware you used? I searched on Lee Valley and it didn't jump out at me.

• TB151
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone!!

phillyfeet, we really love the BlueStar range. It's everything that I thought it would be and has been performing really well. The cleanup has just been so easy too and probably the biggest positive surprise. You're going to love it!

aries61, great question. We did a blind return in the bottom and use a kidney shaped pullout, I forget what its called. For the top, we purposely didn't add another stacked top in the corner because we were staggering them and it would have looked a bit strange. Cost played a role but also aesthetics when making these decisions. We also did not do a blind corner in the top cabinet, its simply finished and sealed off on the top and bottom. Cost was a factor, but we also simply didn't need it as we also have a large walk in pantry. Hah, to this day we still have a lot of drawers and cabinets that sit empty, First World Problems :-)

Regarding the sink cabinet, we used a custom cabinet maker so it was built out to be bigger since we knew we wanted that bump out with furniture feet. It also accommodates the monster Kraus 32" sink perfectly.

rebecca3142, Thanks! The hardware is Awesome! It's super heavy and has a perfect finish. And you simply can't beat the handle price of $2.70!!! The two others we were considering were at least $25 each, yikes! Here is a link, we went with "C"

http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/Page.aspx?p=52891&cat=3,43520,43521,43538

For the knobs we were equally impressed, super heavy, well made. We went with "H"

http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/Page.aspx?p=52423&cat=3,49938

• aries61
    10 years ago

TB151, thanks for the information. How deep is the sink cabinet? A little hard to size tell from the picture.

What size base blind corner cabinet did you use? Also, if you don't mind answering, what size drawer bases did you use on either side of the range?

Sorry, for so many questions, but just trying to figure out my own kitchen layout.

Thanks

• phillyfeet
    10 years ago

Happy to hear you are enjoying the range. It seems most of the happy owners on the appliance forum have the RNB version.

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

I was really loving your marble, although it's usually not my thing. The texture it displays is mesmerizing.

I was really taken by that until I noticed the close-ups and your Beaded. Inset. Cabinetry. Then I had to pick myself up off the floor in ecstasy! You chose a 3/8" bead, didn't you?

oooooo

• Chacha Lamacha
    9 years ago

TB
    What a beautiful kitchen! Thanks for the inspiration!
    Can you please tell me if you're happy with the Rangecraft hood?
    We have an open floor plan and need a 36 or 42" I've heard good things about Rangecraft effectiveness but nothing about their noise levels
    Thanks!

• TB151
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aries61, I don't know off hand but will try to remember to measure it out later. It looks to stick out about an inch further than the other cabinets.

CEFreeman, thanks for the awesome complements! I honestly have no clue what the bead size is though. I saw some samples at the cabinet maker and asked for a slightly smaller one. Haha, so scientific I know ;-)

Peacecorp: Thanks so much, I'm happy that it's inspiring to you, I guess I'm paying it forward with all of the other GW kitchens that did the same for me. The hood is awesome, super well built, and blows air like crazy. I'm not sure how loud most fans are to be honest so I can't compare, but its got serious power, which comes with a bit of noise. I went with the 36" and thus far am very happy with it. Its funny how simple these things truly are. Some bent sheet metal, a motor, some switches and wires, voila! One other point, the bulbs that came with it aren't heat lamps per se, but they do get extremely hot, and can actually burn. Incredible amounts of light, but we only turn them on when we absolutely must. If you installed a warming rack below it, it would absolutely work.

We just bought some very cool chairs for our sitting area which will be in next week. But still haven't gotten settles on a backsplash, so no 100% completed pics yet.

Thanks again for the amazing love!