Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashsdad

completed low budget remodel on small kitchen

ashsdad
13 years ago

I recently completed a remodel on my small kitchen, it was done with Walnut covered cabinet's, White River Granite countertops, and Walker Zanger Mini Brick Cashew Glass Tiles for the backsplash. Now the best part of all this is I bartered a deal with a small cabinets shop in Miami (Project Woodwork 8341 NE 4th Ct, Miami FL) Hope I am not breaking any rules I gave them a used 1997 BMW Convertible and they gave me a new kitchen (only in America) not including the countertops backsplash and appliances of course

Comments (30)

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Holy cr**!!!! A kitchen for a used car--only in America is right--and a terrific-looking kitchen at that! ENJOY!!!!!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I love how warm your kitchen is and the back story is priceless! For a small kitchen, your work space seems quite good and you have a lot of storage as well. This is a nice happy ending ;)

• ashsdad
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks guys I am so proud of it, the fabricator even helped me out by using only one slab to do my countertops....................I paid $11 per square foot for 3cm white river granite, the fabricator charged me only $15 per sq foot to do it.

BTW the deal was for the car and $1500.00, here is a picture of it.

• xand83
    13 years ago

Love it all! You very much got the better deal ;)

• chinchette
    13 years ago

I love it. Congratulations!

• cj47
    13 years ago

It looks terrific! What a beautiful, elegant space. And it comes with a great story, too. I love your backsplash!

Cj

• Nancy in Mich
    13 years ago

Very nice! Getting the fridge out of the little u-shape really opened the space up and makes it more usable and friendly.

Dianalo is right, you do have lots of space. I like your material choices, as well. Your kitchen is modern, has clean lines, and is warm and inviting.

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Fabulous! That's a great kitchen!!! And a great car, too. Looks like a swell swap all the way around. Congratulations!

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

Very nice! Clean, smooth. I really like the stone for the countertop. I don't think the flexible duct for the range hood vent is code, but . . .

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Great kitchen for a great price! The graining on your cabs is beautiful, and the BS and granite compliment them wonderfully! Very smart to go modern with nice, clean lines. Enjoy!

• laxsupermom
    13 years ago

Great story and gorgeous kitchen! The walnut is so pretty. Love it!

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Looks fabulous! WTG on the barter, too! I agree, you got the better deal!

• ashsdad
    Original Author
    13 years ago

He had to pay me $1500 also to get the car, after everything is done I think we should have gone with Darker Walnut cabinet's............Let me know what you think about that

• northcarolina
    13 years ago

No no, the color of the cabinets is great as it is! Darker might look more contemporary, is that what you are thinking? Well, maybe, but your cabinets are sleek and modern and lovely just as they are.

• herbflavor
    13 years ago

any darker and the cabs would be cold..not as inviting...you did the right thing.

• never_ending
    13 years ago

I love it! Great job re-configuring the space to get the most out of it! If we could all be so lucky!!! =)

Tell me about your sink- what size, make, depth? How do you like the little sink? I am leaning in that direction just for the sake of having 2 sinks but wonder if it is useful or wasteful?

Love how your re-model turned out!

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

Great kitchen. Love the granite and backsplash. Your color stain really shows off the beautiful wood. Going darker you wouldn't see it as well.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Very handsome kitchen and great story.

• stacieann63
    13 years ago

For a small kitchen you have an amazing amount of counter space. The stone and the tile are beautful, goes great with your new cabinets. Terrific job!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Spectacular, Savvy, Sexy, Stylish little kitchen!

What a perfect place to cook. You already know this but
    honestly it is money well spent on details such as the
    walker zanger, undermount sink, the modern looking
    hardware, the gorgeous granite (it looks like you spent 50
    per sq foot not 15), even the edge and seams look amazing
    and you upgraded your appliances.

Spectacular transformation!

A few questions...
    What appliances do you have? I love the handles.
    And what color paint?
    Did you take down the pop-corn ceiling?
    Did you keep the can lights?
    Did you put in undercab lighting?
    Is that tile floor? I can only see a peek of it but it
    look perfect with your kitchen. Was it new or is that
    from before?

Again this really is a Spectacular Transformation.
    ~boxer

• queenofmycastle0221
    13 years ago

Sweet! I wonder if dh would notice if I traded his hot rod for a new kitchen?

• User
    13 years ago

My DH and I just had a very long talk about how folks don't barter anymore....and then I see you fantastic example. You did a wonderful job. And that is a very cool car ! c

• ashsdad
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is all the items GE JSP46SP-SS slide in stove, Kitchenaid 24.5 Counter Depth Fridge, Kitchenaid 2.0 Microwave, Elkay Lustertone Sink ELUH322110L it lists for $925 got it New on eBay for $250( guy bought it for his remodel and changed his mind),Kohler K-597 Simplice Faucet,Elkay SS Sink Grid, Moen 3942SL Soap Dispenser.
    I love the sink and 2 work well for me, I am planning on removing the ugly popcorn by next month.

• chris11895
    13 years ago

Great job!! I love the tile backsplash - would you mind posting the company and name?

• lascatx
    13 years ago

I think darker would have minimized the grain in the walnut and been high contrast -- a different look. I like seeing hte grain in that wood -- very nice.

• User
    13 years ago

FYI...be careful with advertising this....my DH pointed out that you and the cab folks are supposed to report this on a special barter form to the IRS. Best to NOT put the cab company name here....better safe than sorry ! c

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Sweet deal all around! :^D

Love the cabs with that backsplash! Walnut always makes me smile. Great kitchen!

• ashsdad
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Guys Thanks so much for all your kind words, particularly since this is my first remodel:)

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

What a warm, inviting space! An impressive job and an impressive story, ashsdad. As with the car, this is a classic.