Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
razamatazzy

designing an island

razamatazzy
14 years ago

Does anyone have any tips on how to design an island. I know I want a one level island and the dimensions to be 4 x 8 ft. I also will want the long side to include seating with a counter depth of around 15 inches. I want a garbage/recycle pullout on one end. But how do I design an island around these specs? For example, should the seating side be drywall, or part of the cabinet? Some have wood sides that extend all the way to the countertop edge on each end, others have narrow cabinets extending out to the countertop edge. And some have decorative legs seated on each end next to the countertop edge. Others are completly open on the ends. Are all of these simply chosen for asthetic reasons, or are they structural, or chosen for cost reasons.

Comments (2)

• live_wire_oak
    14 years ago

"Are all of these simply chosen for asthetic reasons, or are they structural, or chosen for cost reasons."

All of the above.

Cost is the usual most limiting factor, so using standard sized cabinets is the most cost effective. Counter top overhangs are usuall 1 1/2" on each side. (3" each way for an island) Standard sized cabinets are 24" deep. That leaves you with 21" open. You say you want 48" of width. That leaves 6". You could do a shallow full height cabinet on the back side of the 24" deep cabinet, but that would be a custom depth cabinet and cost more. Or, you could have a 12" (standard wall depth cabinet) as seldom used storage under the seating overhang and increase the size of your island by 6". The easiest (and cheapest) thing would be to forget that 6" and do a 42" deep island. However, how you plan to finish off the back of the island comes into play.

Again, it's cost driven as well as aesthetic driven.

The cheapest way to do an island back is with a pony wall covered in drywall. That's 4 1/2". So, if costs are a concern, you need to plan the depth with that in mind. If you feel like dressing it up some, then you can do a simple 3/4" (NOT a thin skin if you're doing an overhang that will need support!) paneled back from your cabinet company. Be sure to plan the whole overhang with sufficient support, and the places where you are going to attach that support if it will be visible like a corbel. If you want an even more decorative island back, then order cabinet doors to cover the 3/4" panel. Make sure you get the sizing correct, and factor in the size of the corbels and where they will attach. Using a 3" filler in between the doors gives a place for the corbels to attach, but you need to cover that with a filler overlay or a decorative filler overlay like a fluted filler overlay. Making the filler 6" and using a decorative overlay and plinth blocks really dresses it up. Or, you can use split posts and full sized posts to create a "table".

There are a huge range of choices, but each cabinet line offers different decorative or functional solutions. You either need a copy your cabinet line's spec book, or have a competent designer guide you on anything more than the simplest of islands.

• razamatazzy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Live wire Oak thanks for the information. This takes some of mystery out of this and gives me a place to start. I have the room so am leaning towards the 24" plus the 12" and increasing the width by 6". I think I would like to hide the supports as much as possible and make them non-decorative.