Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caligirl_cottage

Cool $ saving idea for a carerra marble subway tile backsplash

caligirl_cottage
16 years ago

I was in a kitchen showroom today and they had a carerra marble subway tile backsplash, which I covet on and off depending on my mood for the day. Anyway, carerra subway tiles are crazy-expensive, but the showroom guy confessed that they just got 12X12 carerra tiles from HD (which I know are not more than $3 or so a foot) and used a stone cutter to cut them down to 3X6 subway tiles. How hard could that be? Not very, and they looked pretty darn good. I suppose you could do the same for any of those stone tiles that you get in a subway size and save money.

Comments (27)

• cocontom
    16 years ago

Yes, it can be done, but easy may not be a good description- we were going to do that with the marble we used on the counters, but thought better of it. A lot of our tiles broke while we were cutting them- like about 20% on the straight cuts, and always when it was so close to being done that it really hurt (at first it hurt, then we just accepted it). It may have been the kind of marble (Strata Tan, which one site just described as red marble or red filleto marble), but we ended up with 1x1 slate for most of the backsplash.

• mindstorm
    16 years ago

Not to mention that most stone tiles have a beveled edge for the factory finish. When you cut them yourself, each of your tiles will have some beveled edges and the rest square. That looks dodgy, IMO.

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

That's what I was thinking, finished and unfinished edges ; could be cost effective but not quite as nice, everything has a cost.

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Not to mention that most stone tiles have a beveled edge for the factory finish. When you cut them yourself, each of your tiles will have some beveled edges and the rest square.

Which is something I was going to bring up. This is actually a pretty good idea-- one I've recommended a couple of times myself. The only thing is you need to make sure that all factory bevels are removed during the cutting process. Otherwise, it will look strange Plan on your pieces actually being 2 3/4x 5 7/8.

• deegw
    16 years ago

I stumbled upon some relatively cheap statuary marble subways from a quarry in Alabama. The Walker Zanger were about $21 per square foot, the ones I got were $8!! The veining is more subtle but they still look great. If you want more info, let me know.

• sweeby
    16 years ago

Here's my cost-cutting idea for a marble backsplash--

The picture below shows something called a marble 'saddle' or 'threshold'. It's designed to go between the bathroom floor and the adjoining flooring and prevent water from leaking out of the bathroom onto that floor. Typically they're 4" wide by 36" long, bevelled on the long ends, and sell at Home Depot for about $8.00 apiece.

My idea is to buy a bunch of these thresholds, cut them in half to 18" high, and install them vertically in a 'beadboard' style for a kitchen backsplash, or to leave them 36" high and install them vertically for a beadboard bathroom wainscoting.

• kateskouros
    16 years ago

okay, deee, i'll bite. gonna try and email you. i'm looking at $18 sq for my marble subways. $8 is obviously much more appealing!

• kateskouros
    16 years ago

i don't see an email address for you, deee. would you mind letting me know where i might be able to get the marble tile? will they ship to NJ? my email is: michelabelle@yahoo.com

thank you!

• marthavila
    16 years ago

Would you mind just posting the info? I'm also interested. Thanks!

• malhgold
    16 years ago

Sweeby - sounds like a great idea. Is this for your kitchen?

• sweeby
    16 years ago

Don't know what happened to my picture, but here's another:

{{!gwi}}

Mahlgold - I'd so love to do this, but it's just not the right look for this house. This is kind of a rustic - woodsy - earthy house, and 'vintage cottage' just isn't what the house wants. Next house - definitely!

• oofasis
    16 years ago

Slightly off topic, but I'd love Sweeby's opinion if she's still reading here...

I've been stymied in a backsplash selection. I've got Carrara counters with medium stained cherry Medallion cabs. I love Sweeby's idea (to say nothing of the cost savings!), but would using the same material/color wash out my counters?

Opinions from others?

• sweeby
    16 years ago

Wash them out? I don't see how. It would be a lot of Carrara, but some would argue you can't have too much of that sort of a good thing. That type of design might tilt your kitchen a bit into the "ice cream parlor" direction, but in my book, that's also not a problem! ;-)

• westsider40
    16 years ago

Sweeby, That is positively brilliant!
    Using threshholds vertically, of any material, for example, wood, to match flooring, might be of value to some. As always, thank you. Beverly

• deegw
    16 years ago

Here's a link to the place where I found the tile. I used the Florence shop, but you'll probably get better service in Columbia. Remember when you call that you will be dealing with South Carolina folks. Patience is a virtue and a neccesity around here!

I believe the back of the tile board said it was from the Georgia Marble Company. The box says "elegant statuary marble", "Sylacauga quarry" (which is in Alabama). Hubby has been "helping" me organize my files and right now I can't locate the receipt. I'll keep looking.

The tile is definitely paler than the Walker Zanger carrara. I picked up the tile at the warehouse and opened the boxes in the bright sunshine to check them out. I almost died because they all looked white. When I questioned the tile lady I heard the "marble is a natural stone, blah, blah, blah" disclaimer. Thankfully, in the indoor light next my honed charcoal counters the veins popped.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile Center

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

I always admire your combination every time I see the picture !!!

• kateskouros
    16 years ago

thanks deee. i'll check them out. is your tile honed? that would REALLY make my day.

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Sweeby-- that's a sweet idea!! I just need to add, for those interested in your idea, the picture you've shown, shows thresholds with bevels that are known by several different names-- ADA, handicapped, graduated, "Hollywood"-- one way or the other, there are many places that if they're willing to order them for you, they'll be special order, and you'd have to specify DOUBLE Hollywood bevels, otherwise it'll come thru with only one. Most conventional beveled thresholds have a rectangular profile from the end, with a small 1/4" corner knocked off each of the top corners.

But I agree-- that'd be interesting to see, especially vertically set to mimick beadboard!

• alku05
    16 years ago

Sweeby, you are a genius! I'm thinking that those would be awesome on bathroom walls....

• mollyred
    16 years ago

FWIW, here are my tips for working travertine, which should also work for marble: to prevent cracking when you cut your tile, stick masking tape on the tile where you propose to cut it, mark your cut line, and cut the tile with the tape in place. Pull the tape off afterward. Also helps prevent cracking if you need to drill a tile. It's trading a lot of time to save some money, but if you have the time and need to save the money, you can do bevelling yourself: start with a belt sander and a rough grit sanding belt. Rough in the shape of your bevel. Follow the rough sanding with a medium grit belt, then move to an orbital sander with fine grit (180 or 220) and then a super-fine grit: 440 if you can find it, 320 if you can't. Finish by buffing/polishing with stone enhancer/sealer. For DIY bevelling on 3x6" tiles, I'd suggest you use a vise to hold the sanders in place upside-down. That way you can hold the tile to the sanding surface (much lighter) rather than the other way around. You can make an assembly-line type of operation out of it by roughing all your 3x6's in one pass, then the medium grit sanding, then the fine and so on.

Do NOT try this with a hard stone like granite, however: you'll be there for months!

Good luck!

• sherilynn
    16 years ago

Our tile guy cut down travertine for our shower. We didn't want a beveled edge on the tile, but he did bevel some edges for some wall tile in other places. It feels perfect under foot. I do not see why it wouldn't work for marble.

As for the buying stone on the cheap. Check out the Floor and Decor Outlets. There are several nation wide. Local stores wanted almost $12/sf. Floors & Decor wanted $1.79 at the time, on sale.

Floor and Decor stocks overstocks and has BEAUTIFUL STONE at a FRACTION of the cost. Their site does NOT do their store justice. It also does NOT show all of the stone that they sell. I've seen the carrera marble subway tiles there, so this is why I'm suggesting go there. You can always call the store closest to you. F & D Shopping tip: buy all of the stone you need plus extra when it's in stock. When it's gone, no telling when they'll get more in stock. You can always return what you don't need.

Here is a link that might be useful: PRESIDENT'S DAY SALE AT FLOOR & DECOR OUTLETS

• iambpt
    16 years ago

if you're near chicago check out the Tile Outlet on fullerton. I was just there on saturday and found some great stuff. They had carrera subway tiles for 8. square foot.
    beth

• tilemarbleguy14
    15 years ago

I went online and found www.buildersdepotdirect.com they sell Carrara marble, trim and Hexagon Mosaic $10.74SF, 3x6' Subway Carrara for $7.00SF they sell samples for just $1.

You can see the quality for yourself but it is incredible, I use BuildersDepotDirect for all my marble installation work and would recommend them to all my friends, family and people I work with.

• mary_smith
    14 years ago

Tile Marble Guy 14 - I tried and ordered a sample from BuildersDepotDirect.com of Basketweave and Subway 3x6 Carrera and it was really good for the price only $11.50 for Basketweave Carrera marble and most importantly no quartz - none at all not like the cheapo Turkish marble. Ending up with 150SF 3x6 and 60SF of Basketweave and Trims to match - perfectly matched.

Here is a link that might be useful: Builders Depot Direct

• avadoone
    13 years ago

I just wanted to post of pictures of my new kitchen. It was this post that led me to find my Alabama white tiles. I was on a very small budget. I kept the existing cabinets. I was gifted the granite from my parents who had theirs changed. So I wanted something to work both of these elements together. I found a faucet and sink on craigslist for 60 and got the sink for 30!! Crazy right?

Anyway, I can across this post and was so impressed because the cabinets are similar and the granite is too. I loved it because, the veins are much lighter and not in such high contrast. So here is a picture, I hope it shows up!

Want to know the real kicker... I live in Alabama and didn't even know there was this marvelous resource in my state. I live an hour away from the mine in Alabama and picked it up at the quarry for a little less than $7 a sq ft!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• avadoone
    13 years ago

Here is another picture, I do not know how to embed them.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• looking4calacatta
    12 years ago

I am looking for Calacatta subway tile but have come accross some great pictures of Carrara tile that for the price maybe a better option. This is 6x12" Carrara is $8 square foot with a beautiful mosaic insert.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carrara Italian Marble