Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vita1234

Update on stainless steel appliances?

vita1234
10 years ago

Hi all,

I really enjoy reading your posts. I'm doing a total kitchen remodel and will likely go with stainless steel appliances. The cabinets will probably be a dark brown and I can't see white appliances with that. I think black will make the kitchen look too dark.

From what I've been reading, it seems like cleaning stainless steel is not easy. The posts I've seen are at least a couple of years old though. Is this still such an issue or have manufacturers address this problem more over the past few years? It seems wrong to spend more on stainless still if the upkeep is more.

Thanks and if I've missed a more recent thread on this please let me know. I think the most recent one I saw was from 2012.

Comments (14)

• feisty68
    10 years ago

My Samsung Fridge really shows fingerprints and they're hard to rub off. My Blue Star range doesn't. Seems like it really depends on the stainless finish and varies by manufacturer.

• gabbythecat
    10 years ago

I have a Samsung SS fridge that *was* full of fingerprints until I followed advice from here and wiped it with Pledge (the stuff in the yellow and brown can). The fingerprints are gone - it looks great. I did that about a week ago...

• Evan
    10 years ago

I would never get them again unless they invent some new kind of finish that doesn't show every drop of water or fingerprint. I can clean them and make them look great, but it's not an easy process. Takes about 10 minutes to do range, fridge, and dishwasher. And needs to be done a few times a week.

If fingerprints and smudges don't bother you, then go for it!

There was a post about this recently. I started it maybe 2 weeks ago

• happy_grrl
    10 years ago

I have an Envirotowel from Norwex that someone gave me as a shower gift. It's a suede microfiber.

I spray my appliances with a disinfectant periodically. I wipe them with a paper towel. Then I take the Envirotowel and wipe the grain of the stainless.

If it's just fingerprints, etc, I just spray a little water and wipe as described above.

Best. Towel. Ever!!!

• frmrsdghtr
    10 years ago

I just wipe them down with a damp cloth. I've never used a product on them, ever. I have at least two different types of stainless and it doesn't seem to be a big deal. Not sure what the fuss is all about :).

• fishymom
    10 years ago

We have 4 different brands of stainless in our kitchen now and they all clean up beautifully. I do not use paper towels on my SS appliances though, I use cloth diapers and microfiber towels. If I drip something problematic like tomato sauce, I use Barkeepers Friend. But for everyday, I just use water and once a week or so, I use Sheila Shine.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I have 4 different SS appliances also but no rug rats
    Miele does not show fingerprints. All others will but I taught DH how to use the handle and seldom need to clean them.
    I also use a microfiber towel or spongy thing and usually use water unless DB visits as he doesn't understand handles.
    I was thinking of swapping the DW panel for matching cherry but never got around to it.
    My other appliances are Electrolux, GE, and Wolf.

• jlnjz
    10 years ago

I LOVE stainless and raised 3 boys with a big stainless refrigerator and no fingerprint problems. I discovered Weimans Stainless steel cleaner and swear by it. The kind in the aerosol can (vs the premoistened wipes) is best. Just wipe in / wipe off -- no polishing required. I get it at walmart

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I had stainless in my previous home - sure it was cleanable (I used Pledge and a microfiber cloth) but I wasn't one bit interested in having to clean it. So this time I paneled my refrigerator and dishwasher.

• scpalmetto
    10 years ago

Many of the newer ss appliances can be cleaned with just water. I successfully used WD 40 on an older model.

One thing I have noticed on my new Electrolux fridge is that magnets do not stick. Where oh where can the pictures of the grandkids go?

• feisty68
    10 years ago

I will try the Pledge thing - thank you!

• farmhousemom
    10 years ago

I have four different SS appliances and four kids. Fingerprints aren't a big problem. I use a microfiber cloth and water.

• crl_
    10 years ago

My frigidaire refrigerator and range are super easy to keep looking nice. I just wipe with any damp cloth and they look great. My Bosch dishwasher however looks terrible. I haven't figured out how to get it to look decent. It has streaks on the front and fingerprints on it. I guess I will have to try one of the various products recommended here and see if I can get it to look decent.

So my experience is that it depends on the brand.

• canuckplayer
    10 years ago

I have ss appliances. The fridge and over-the-range micro. are Whirlpool. They show EVERYTHING! The range and dw are LG. The only thing that shows on them is food spills. They wipe up so easily, they don't even show "dishcloth streaks".