Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michiganrachel

My almost finished kitchen! LOTS of pictures

michiganrachel
13 years ago

I posted some pictures a few weeks ago. Today was a nice sunny day (rare during the Michigan winter), so I decided to try to take some pictures.

I say almost finished as I still need to decorate and fill those windows and I have a problem with the cabinets - Almost all my cabinet doors need to be replaced. You can't see it in the pictures, but the paint job is pretty bad and the seams on almost every door are starting to split. I knew this would happen eventually, but not as soon as I moved in. ARGH = frustration. However, no one really notices but me. However, between the problems with the paint job and the splitting seams I feel like my cabinets look 5 years old.

Also, still need some fillers, the kickplate on the island, and my window treatments are getting put up on Friday (woven wood shades).

So far, I am loving the kitchen. The "barrier island" some warned me about hasn't been a big issue. I just get what I need from the fridge and put it on the island. My fridge drawers help durign meals at the island as I keep what I need during meals in there. My ovens are awesome and have made great cookies, chicken, steaks, pork roast. I love the microwave drawer and have used the warming drawer to keep cookies, pancakes, waffles, and dh's dinner warm!

As some of you know, we did a whole house renovation and 1900 sq. foot addition (the original whole house was 1500 sf). I have some other pictures on flickr, but haven't taken pictures of everything yet as some rooms still have boxes, no pictures have been hung, and some rooms have paper taped over windows for privacy until our window treatments come in. If you'd like to see what I have so far, you can visit my flickr album.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91801398@N00/sets/72157625738507421/

Here's my info - hopefully I won't forget anything.

Cabinets - Holiday Cabinets. White shaker doors and walnut island.

Granite - BIANCO ANTICO!!! :) Love

Backsplash - American Olean 3x6 white subway tiles. This is where I decided to save money and I love how they look

Appliances - Wolf 36 inch rangetop, best 42" hood, Wolf L series double ovens, subzero fridge, sharp microwave drawer, kitchenaid warming drawer, u-line fridge drawers, Miele La Perla dw

Sinks - big one is a Kraus 32 inch single bowl, prep sink is Ticor, can't remember the size.

Faucets - Delta touch faucet

Lighting - pendants are Hudson Valley Randolph, 10 inch, kitchen table light is Murray Feiss American Foursquare 6+2 light in ORB

Hardware - Amerock Kane in weathered nickel

Floors - White oak to match the 75 year old floors in original part of house.

Without further ado:

View of kitchen from family room

View of kitchen from eating area

View of kitchen from mudroom/outside pantry door

Fridge & oven wall

Love my bianco antico!

More of the granite

Love my runnels

This was taken on Superbowl night. My prep sink used as a drink cooler. An unforeseen but very handy use! It took a lot of ice to fill that 10 inch deep sink!

Kitchen table taken from the kitchen. My table has 2 self storing leaves, so we can seat a lot of people!

My pantry. There's more shelves tothe right that you just can't see from this angle. Terrible lighting, but you get the idea and can definitely see I'm not one of those super organized pantry people!

Family room. More shelves that need to be decorated! You can see my desk area to the right of the fireplace. DH has an office, but this is my space.

Comments (32)

• Adrienne2011
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It is so lovely, neighbor! (I'm in Michigan too). I like your fireplace and how the white oak floors match the walnut island so nicely. :o)
    Stay warm - I heard the temperature will drop tonight.

• adh673
    13 years ago

Its absolutely beautiful, elegant yet warm- very well done! No wonder you are thrilled! Your backsplash is photgraphing beautifully. I love all the light and sparkle in your kitchen! Arent you glad to be done? I just had my backsplash grouted today and I'm sooo ready to for it to be over! You did a great job!

• brenjun
    13 years ago

I love it. I would be so happy if my kitchen turns out half as beautiful. The granite is wonderful. I also love your family room!

• sunshinetm
    13 years ago

Looks beautiful!!! Great job, love your house. From another Michigan person, ready for spring...

• pudgybaby
    13 years ago

Wow - really beautiful! I love everything, but especially your white pendants, bianco and antico (looks lovely with both your white and walnut cabs), and floors. I would die for your pantry...

Can I ask about your table with the self-storing leaves? Love the legs! Is it still available?

Great job!

• francoise47
    13 years ago

Dear Michiganrachel, Another WOW -- you have crafted a truly beautiful kitchen. It has all the elements that we see in many classic kitchens; but it is such a fresh interpretation of those elements. You are clearly a genius at kitchen design! I'd love to see your floor plan and dimensions.Have you posted them?

• itsallaboutthefood
    13 years ago

Very pretty!

• francoise47
    13 years ago

The kitchen pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen house picture for OP

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

What a lovely kitchen!!!! Very charming and stylish!

• laxfanmom
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen!! Could you tell me what color the walls are? That is the color I'm looking for!

• noellabelle
    13 years ago

beautiful kitchen! I absolutely love it!!!

• cj47
    13 years ago

Beautiful! Bright, elegant and altogether lovely. Enjoy the new space!

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

Very nice! I like the clean edges, and the granite is gorgeous.

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen, sorry you are having the problem with the cabinets. Hope you can get it successfully resolved.

I'm in Michigan too!

Nancy

• michiganrachel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for your kind words! I have to say, the end result (of the kitchen and the entire house) is even better than I ever imagined!

Adrienne2011, Sunshinetm and Wizardnm - had no idea you guys were from Michigan. Can I ask what part (SE, Western, etc.) Did you guys get bombarded with snow Sunday night? We got 10 inches.

Pudgybaby - our table is about 3 years old and I honestly have no idea even what brand it is. We were living in Virginia and went to this place called Farmville which is full of furniture showrooms owned by one family that reps so many brands. We ordered it there. Sorry! Having the leaves just pull out from the ends is awesome though! We've seated 14 or 15 people there (over 1/2 of them kids sitting on stools)!

Laxfanmom - the color is Benjamin Moore HC-79, Greenbrier Ridge.

Francoise47 - here is my layout. It isn't hte final one - we changed up the fridge/oven wall and also narrowed the island a little bit.

I can't wait to get my window treatments Friday (woven wood shades). I'll post pictures after that.

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Everything looks great, especially on a sunny day!

• Adrienne2011
    13 years ago

I'm in northern Oakland County, and we got about ten inches too. Our little dog can't go anywhere! :o)

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

i'm loving it! of course i'm biased for the white look but i think it's a great space. and part of the reason i wanted a large prep sink was to use it as a cooler as well! great work horse you have there and so pretty!

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Gorgeous! And I am so jealous of your pantry!

• detroit_burb
    13 years ago

I found your pics!

WOW! Absolutely stunning! That granite must look great with the light reflected off of all this snow! How do you feel about the runnels? Are they easy to keep clean? Are you happy with the flow and the materials (I read about the cabinet door issue, I hope that gets taken care of quickly). Is there anything you would have done different? I will be ordering my final layout next week and after months of deliberation, I hope it will all work out.

Who did your casework, it looks like perfection. I need a good finish carpenter.

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

WOW! how'd I miss this one?! Love the look, sunlight, and OHHHH... the granite. BEAUTIFUL!

• ravmd
    13 years ago

Really Beautiful!!LOVE the island and those pendant lights! Your floors look gorgeous too... everything!!
    I tried to open the layout link to enlarge it but had problems.. do you recall the island dimensions , overhang?

• joan2121
    13 years ago

Your house is gorgeous! Love all your choices! BTW, we went to Farmville last month and bought our furniture! Fun place. I like the look of the subway tile- what color grout did you use?
    Thanks,
    Joan

• michiganrachel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Remodelfla, Ravmd, and joan2121!

Ravmd - my island is approximately 9 x 4 (107inches x 49inches including overhang) with overhangs of 18 (long side) and 15 (short side).

Joan - Farmville was definitely fun, but it was also very overwhelming since I didn't know exactly what I was looking for! The subway tile has a grey grout, but I don't remember which grey it is! I'm sorry, I picked it with my tile guy, but he bought it! I'm no help, am I?

Rachel

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Oh my gosh, how did I miss your kitchen!??? It's beautiful!!! Love the BA with your white and walnut cabs--gorgeous!

DH and I are Michiganders, and DS#1 was born at U of M hospital (but only lived in MI for 1 month). We left 31 years ago.

• michiganrachel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks flwrs!

You guys were probably the smart ones to leave! You probably now live somewhere that the flowers are already starting to bloom!

We moved here in 2000, moved away in 2007, and moved back in December 2008. Even our movers thought we were crazy to move back here with everything that was going on at that point! However, we really do love it here (despite the miserable, long winter) and love our community. We are a good 45 mins - 1 hour from Ann Arbor, so our kids were born at Beaumont.

Rachel

• wallycat
    13 years ago

WOW!

I especially love the walnut island. Is that walnut stain or walnut wood natural/no finish? Gorgeous kitchen.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Rachel, I just noticed that I never commented on how much I love, love your kitchen. I saw a couple of pixs on the thread about cup pulls so went to find your finished kitchen. Well, almost finished.

Your finishes all work together so well. The Bianco Antico is perfect for your cans, floor and light. Fabulous job!! One of my favorite kitchens!

Do you know what the stain on the oak floor is? And did you have the cabs painted or did they come that yummy shade of white?

I'd love to see more pics if you've gotten your shades!

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Rachel, I just noticed that I never commented on how much I love, love your kitchen. I saw a couple of pixs on the thread about cup pulls so went to find your finished kitchen. Well, almost finished.

Your finishes all work together so well. The Bianco Antico is perfect for your cans, floor and light. Fabulous job!! One of my favorite kitchens!

Do you know what the stain on the oak floor is? And did you have the cabs painted or did they come that yummy shade of white?

I'd love to see more pics if you've gotten your shades!

• michiganrachel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Breezy! It means a lot coming from you since I tend to respect and agree with so many of your opinions and design opinions! I love your vent hood - wish I'd thought of or seen something like that when I was looking! I was just thinking earlier that I can't wait to see your finished kitchen! I know I will love it.

Unfortunately, I do not remember the stain I used on the floors. I know it was a combination of two darker stains - one might have had a coffeeish name. They painted samples on our floors and I picked based on those, so didn't really pay much attention to the names!

The cabinets came painted white. It was the brighter white that Holiday cabinets offered. This is the reason that my kitchen is STILL just almost finished. The paint job on the doors is AWFUL! You can't see it in pics, but where the stiles meet on the doors is splitting on just about every door and drawer front. Not just a line, but splitting apart. This is on top of numerous mars, dents, and nicks on teh doors in various places. We are getting all new drawer fronts and doors that the KD is ordering from a different cabinet company (Downsview), but he has TOTALLY been dragging his feet on it. Besides the doors, he STILL hasn't put in the little fillers around my appliance cabinet. I'm so mad - he has lied to us over and over again about whether or not he ordered it and why it was delayed - blah blah blah. Luckily, I have our builder who uses this KD A LOT and owes him a big check for another job. Essentially, he is not paying the KD until he shows him the proof of order for my new cabinet door/drawer fronts. I also am FINALLY getting all of my drawer inserts and organizers a week from today.

I do have my shades, but b/c of the issues above I still have no glass in the top of my cabinets and don't feel fully done! I WILL post pictures when all is done.

Thanks again Breezy!

• legoeggo
    12 years ago

Hi Rachel,

I'm adoring your kitchen too!

Can you tell me more about your island lights? Do you love them? What are the dimensions of your island? Height of ceiling? I'm trying to figure out lights for my 8' x 4' island with an 8' ceiling. Thanks so much.

• Glad Itsover
    7 years ago

Hi. I'm ready to make a decision on Holiday Kitchens (WI). Anyone willing to circle back and let me know who they compare with? More like KraftMaid or Brookhaven? ...nerve-wracking

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022