Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcwesley_gw

Under Cabinet LIghts - Dimmer?

dcwesley
14 years ago

If you have a dimmer on your under cabinet lights do you ever dim them?

Comments (10)

• plumeriavine
    14 years ago

We have an inoperable dimmer. We used it for a short period of time until one of the lights shorted out. The city said not to use it anymore. While we had it, we liked the dimmer - - used it as a night light.

Not all types of lighting will work on a dimmer.

• 3katz4me
    14 years ago

I don't have a dimmer switch on the wall but can dim to a lower level on the light fixtures themselves. I do that sometimes. Strangely enough I have the same fixtures at my weekend lake place only they are mounted at the back of the cabinets. Those I put on low all the time in the evening - the light kind of bounces off the wall and seems too bright.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Ask me in a few weeks. :)

• marthavila
    14 years ago

Yes. I dim my under cab lights, just like all the other lights in the kitchen. Sometimes it's just a matter of plain fun to play with various lighting effects in order to achieve a particular mood in the room. And, sometimes, I just need more light than usual in the task or dining areas. So yes, dimmers definitely comes in handy.

• bicoastal
    14 years ago

YES we do use. Espec matters when it isnt yet fully dark, or when meal is prepped and low liting in kitchen is all that is needed, or as Marthavila sez, for mood/effect
    We are installing to runs of LED lights: below the cabs for task lighting (actually for us it is an open shelf as this is an open shelving country kitchen, NO upper cabs!) and above the upper shelf (or top of a cabinet in a traditional layout). BOTH are dimmable and create ambient lighting plus functional. This is supplemented by tracks with low voltage dimmable fixtures.
    As you can tell, we like to dim! And this is the case in nearly all parts of our home

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Yes, we use the dimmers quite a bit...undercabinet lights, recessed lights, pendant lights, DR chandelier, & Powder Room. We don't dim the Foyer lights that often, though.

• positano
    14 years ago

I use them on the undercabinet lights, mostly after I've cleaned up the kitchen, but still up watching tv in the family room. Love all of my dimmers,pendants,drum shade and recessed all have them. They can make the kitchen so cozy!

• buffalotina
    14 years ago

Yes, I have dimmers on all my kitchen lights, including the undercabs which are line voltage xenon. I can operate the undercabs from the entry door and the door to the dining room. I have the Diva Maestro dimmers so you can dim from two locations. I find I dim them quite often and often work with them on half because the full is not always necessary. They are great for mood lighting and a night light effect when dimmed. Highly recommend!

• bireland
    14 years ago

Our xenon lights have two settings: high and low (and off). All other lights (pendants, recessed lights) are on dimmers, which we love. For us, this works, so we could adjust each set of xenon lights...the bar area, the coffee bar, the range area, landing pad, etc. according to need.

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

We dim them all the time! They are great, we have low voltage SeaGull ones and the transformer is in the basement. All my lights (except the one over the sink) are on dimmers: recessed, chandy over table, over island, even the lights in the hood.