Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2littlefishies

2LittleFishies Yellow Kitchen Reveal- Part DEUX!!!

2LittleFishies
11 years ago

***THIS IS PART 2 OF MY REVEAL THREAD IN CASE THERE ARE OTHER QUESTIONS AND IT HAS ONLY BEEN A COUPLE OF DAYS SINCE THE REVEAL... Also, I can add pics of the banquette when it is done : )
HERE IS PART 1 if you want to read other comments/questions answered:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0209074917427.html?19038

OK, here is my finished yellow kitchen thread! Can't believe it is here!
I can't thank ALL of you enough (or at least those who shared in my vision!) for all the help. Like most of us I really spent so much time on every decision. I joke that nothing happened by accident.
There are so many of you that contributed your thoughts and ideas but I want to especially thank lavender_lass and marcolo for all of their wise words and helping me find and stay true to my vision.
I found the hardest part of renovating is not going off track every time you have to make a decision and not letting others sway you to do things you really don't want to do!

What is NOT finished:
*Still waiting on banquette bench for between the 2 built-ins
*New Dining Table
*2 ends of the Backsplash Tile are not installed yet b/c they were sent back to manufacturer to get a bull-nosed edge.
*Custom light switch cover to match BS tile.
*Deciding on window treatments-whether or not to do them...

Specifics:

*GC- Merrick Construction, NJ

*Custom Cabinetry- Gilreath Cabinetry- PA
Perimeter is 36" finished, island is 34" high, baking area 33" high

*Wall Paint- Kitchen- BM Elephant Tusk OC-8
Dining Area/Living Room BM Woodlawn Blue HC-147
Living Room BM Putnam Ivory HC-39

*Countertops- Vermont Imperial Danby Marble 3cm (purchased from PMI in NJ); Black Walnut 2" Thick Island Top finished with Satin Waterlox (constructed by our Cabinet Maker)

*Island Size is 9 feet x 51 inches *We keep 5 stools at the island but 6 fit fine (2 at the end)

*Appliances-
Thermador CIT365GM 36" Induction Cooktop (mirrored finish)
Electrolux Icon Double Ovens- Professional Series E30EW85GPS6
Electrolux Icon French Door Fridge- Professional Series E23BC68JPS5
Bosch 800 Plus Dishwasher- SHV7ER53UC
Miele H4080BM Speed Oven
Marvel 60RDEBBO Fridge Drawers

*Floors- Red Oak finished with Minwax Provincial Stain and Vermeister Commercial Finish Poly. Matte

*Hardware-
Renovation Hardware Gilmore Cup Pulls in Chrome
Top Knobs Cabinet Latches in Chrome
Emtek Old Town Clear Knob in Chrome
Schaub & Company 6" Chrome Pulls and 12" pull for Dishwasher

*Lighting-
UCL & In Cabs- Seagull LED lights 3000K temp
Drum Pendants- Lamps Plus
5 light Chandelier- Visual Comfort- Michael S Smith Eiffel Chandelier in Polished Nickel

*Sinks-
Main- Kohler Whitehaven K-6489 36" Apron Front Cast Iron Sink
Prep- Kohler K-6584 Iron/Tones Cast Iron Sink

*Faucets-
Main- Moen Woodmere in Chrome S7208C
Prep- Moen Woodmere Prep Faucet in Chrome S6208C
Soap dispensers- Moen
Pot Filler- Moen Showhouse

*Insinkerator Evolution Essential Disposal
Insinkerator Instahot Faucet F-HC2215 Chrome
Insinkerator SST-FLTR

*Backsplash by Wizard Tile
Design is Ribbons & Feathers with Crackle Glaze in Custom Color

*Stools- Counter Height from Grandinroad

BEFORE: This project included pushing out the entire back of our 1950 Cape 7 feet. Also, removing about 5' of our living room wall which involved moving the basement steps over. Removing a wall between the dining room and kitchen, adding a covered porch. We also did all new siding and other exterior things but I'll stick to inside.

Kitchen was originally a galley measuring about 19' x 9 1/2'. Dining Room was about 8 1/2' wide. Now it's really one large room 28' x 16 1/2'. Kitchen side alone is 16' x 16 1/2'

Choosing reveal photos was worse than narrowing down pics for our Wedding Album! SO sorry in advance for the quantity! Hopefully you'll never have to ask me for more pics : )

AFTER:

WITH FINISHED BANQUETTE

BAKING AREA SIDE OF KITCHEN:

Most of my drawers like these are adjustable which I'd highly recommend. If they weren't I wouldn't have been able to remove partitions to fit taller pieces.

Key Cabinet

My KitchenAid

COOKTOP SIDE OF L:

THERMADOR INDUCTION COOKTOP--

CORNER:

SINK WALL:

DISH DRAWERS & DISHWASHER:

COUNTER HEIGHT WINDOW BUMP OUT:

TV Pocket Doors Over Fridge

ISLAND:

Thanks, Breezy : )

Storage at Back of Island (Shelves are 9 1/2" deep)

NOW GOING TO THE RIGHT OF THE SINK/FRIDGE WALL into Dining Area:

6" DEEP BROOM CLOSET

LOOKING FORWARD TO SPRING/SUMMER VIEWS:

MY ORGANIZATIONAL SPOT (cork back, file drawer, printer, BluRay player, desk items, charging drawer)

WHERE BANQUETTE BENCH WILL BE:

BAR AREA:

REFRIGERATOR DRAWERS:

CUSTOM SLIDING DOORS-- These were at one point supposed to be pocket doors but I didn't want to close off views by having 3' of wall pocket on either side so came up with this which is working well at blocking sound but still gives an open feeling to the space.
I also love the 3 lights on the top so it's less busy and easier to clean!

INTO LIVING ROOM:

LIVING ROOM LOOKING INTO KITCHEN:

The blue looks brighter than it does IRL:

A FEW LAST SHOTS...

EXTERIOR BEFORE:

EXTERIOR AFTER:

THANK YOU GW for this FUN, FULFILLING, (and often STRESSFUL) Experience : )
Fishies

Finished Table and Chairs..

Here is a link that might be useful: PART 1 of REVEAL

This post was edited by 2LittleFishies on Tue, Sep 30, 14 at 8:00

Comments (163)

• oasisowner
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That makes sense. We will probably go either all white or all yellow. I would love both, but it is a very small space - unless I can find somewhere to relocate the basement stairs between the kitchen and the unused dining room.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

your kitchen is in my top 5 on here. I don't think there's anything I'd want to change about it.

• lam702
    9 years ago

Glad to see this kitchen pop up again. Its so perfect. Yellows can be so tricky, often I find them too bright. This yellow kitchen is just right - a soft yellow that is so warm and cheerful yet at the same time cool and soothing. One of my favorite kitchens on GW.

• dietitian
    9 years ago

pics aren't showing.... can you repost? what I saw above is beautiful but would love to see the original pics. I guess when they merged with houzz pics got lost somehow. How is the vermont dandy doing etching-wise?

• mudhouse
    9 years ago

Dietician, many of the threads with long posts apparently lost content when imported to Houzz. Tamara has posted that the data is not lost, and some threads will have to be repaired manually. I did a thread here to help us keep up with the issue:

Kitchen Reveal Threads Missing Photos and Text

• schuhpia
    9 years ago

I love 2 little fishes kitchen and it's one that I come back to. All the details merge together to make really a beautiful classic but homey kitchen.

• mudhouse
    9 years ago

I know schuhpia. 2littlefishie's reveal threads are some of the most damaged because **all** of her photos are gone. I hope they truly will restore these threads.

• mudhouse
    9 years ago

Update, houzz has restored the first 15 photos of this thread, hooray! However, these first 15 photos are a repeat of the first 15 photos restored in 2LittleFishies Yellow Kitchen Reveal Part One

The OP used the same photos in both threads, and also mixed in some additional new ones for this Part Two thread. Can these be restored?
    Thanks so much for your help!

• mudhouse
    9 years ago

Update, all photos have been restored to this thread, thank you houzz.

• tmy_jax
    8 years ago

Such a beautiful kitchen... I always enjoy reviewing the details!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Everyone! I just saw all of these new posts!! I wasn't aware the pics were missing after switching from GW to Houzz ; ) Thanks for all of your comments! I still love the kitchen (good thing!!).

• cpartist
    8 years ago

I'm not a yellow person but this is gorgeous. All of it. Enjoy.

• lesliekkc
    8 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing all of your photos! I was wondering what the height of the bump out window is. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :)

• dmeah
    8 years ago

2LittleFishies- Not sure if you'll see this, but I'm hoping that my responding to this old thread will send you an email update! You have such a beautiful kitchen!

We're also thinking about using Vermont Imperial Danby marble and a Kohler Whitehaven sink. What color sink did you go with- white, biscuit, other? I have the little Kohler color chips, but it's so hard to decide based on a teeny, tiny sample...!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    8 years ago

lesliekkc-- the counter height is standard at the window…

dmeah- My Kohler sink is White.

Thanks!

• enzaenza
    8 years ago

2littlefishies, love love love everything about your kitchen! Would you be able to share your layout with dimensions? Everything looks perfect and I'd like to see if i can use some of your ideas in my kitchen, thanks !!

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

It's official...your kitchen has become an 'inspiration kitchen' just like the ones you were using, during your planning!

Congrats....you worked so hard on planning and materials for your kitchen, you deserve it! :)

2LittleFishies thanked Lavender Lass
  • houserookie
    8 years ago

Somebody wipe off the drool off my phone screen.... It is totally an inspiration kitchen!

• oasisowner
    8 years ago

STILL one of my favorite kitchens! This was also one of my inspirations, although I think my kitchen turned out to be like the weird love child of 2littlefishies, mamagoose, and sixtyohno.

2LittleFishies thanked oasisowner
  • TwoBelles
    8 years ago

This kitchen makes me want to be friends with 2littlefishies! It feels like a hug. I hope my kitchen feels like this when I'm done with it.....

2LittleFishies thanked TwoBelles
  • artemis_ma
    8 years ago

Very awesome, and I am SO bookmarking the adjustable drawers!!!

2LittleFishies thanked artemis_ma
  • monicakm_gw
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Your kitchen is without a doubt the most remarkable, impressive kitchen I have EVER seen! I can't stop looking at it. No way could I even attempt to choose a favorite feature! I'm fairly certain I'd accept an invitation for lunch altho you may have a hard time getting me to leave <lol> SO glad I followed a link to your kitchen. Wow, wow, wow!

2LittleFishies thanked monicakm_gw
  • Karen Eagle
    7 years ago

Beautiful!!!!!! Enjoy

2LittleFishies thanked Karen Eagle
  • AK Parrain
    5 years ago

It’s been a while since you redid your kitchen. What a stunning change! My question is about your floor finish - how has the Vermeister held up after all these years? Would you use it again? I’m redoing my kitchen and trying to choose a finish. Thanks!!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    5 years ago

YES! We love it and would definitely use it again! (We've used it twice!) We've had it in other rooms for about 9 years now and it's awesome! Looks lovely and holds up well!

• Gill
    5 years ago

Wow! I think that's my favourite kitchen EVER! So beautiful and elegant and at the same time warm and homey.

2LittleFishies thanked Gill
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

Such a treat to see this incredible kitchen again. This is timeless. And yellow is my favorite color, so there is that too :-)

2LittleFishies thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • spagano
    5 years ago

I love when this kitchen pops up in my messages. Beautiful and classic but not fussy.

2LittleFishies thanked spagano
  • ldlonghenry
    5 years ago

2LittleFishies your kitchen is amazing! It took me probably an hour and a half to search both of your kitchen reveal posts for this answer and I could not find it. My question is regarding the depth of your kitchen sink bump out, both interior and exterior. We are doing the same with the window at countertop height. I would be beyond grateful for this answer! Thank you!!!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hello! Thanks so much! The interior photo is attached. Outside is about 9" from the house. Hope this helps!!

• cydm15
    4 years ago

Love how your kitchen came out. We’re also going to have a bench in our dining room, as part of our kitchen remodel. Your bench looks comfy. What is the depth of the seat? Also, how are the cushions attached to the wood?

• Ivan I
    4 years ago

@cydm15, 2 suggestions about seat depth from a booth fan:

1) Put a seamstress-type small measuring tape in your purse. Measure the depth of 2-3 restaurant booths that you feel is comfortable. Double check the seat height while you are at it.

2) Remember to ADD inches of seat depth to any requirements you communicate in order to account for the depth of the back cushion. (visualize what I'm saying here to make sure it's clear to you why this is critical...)

Else it will be a $$ mistake, or you'll have to live with a much more shallow bench than you had intentioned.

Ask me how I know...

• Ivan I
    4 years ago

This kitchen is like a warm morning hug. So well thought out.

2LittleFishies thanked Ivan I
  • Cindi
    4 years ago

So nice to see this kitchen pop up again, after all this time. So so beautiful, functional and classic!

2LittleFishies thanked Cindi
  • lulu bella
    4 years ago

Wow what a beauty. I have been a longtime lurker and don't recall this one at all.

• lulu bella
    4 years ago

Wow what a beauty. I have been a longtime lurker and don't recall this one at all.

2LittleFishies thanked lulu bella
  • AboutToGetDusty
    4 years ago

2LittleFishes, how is your beautiful wood countertop holding up? Would love to know (and the maintenance involved).

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hey! It looks great still! There are a few dings but I love the Waterlox. No maintenance! I just wipe with warm cloth or light dish soap. It's really incredible! Thank you for checking in : )

• AboutToGetDusty
    4 years ago

Thank you, 2LittleFishies! Can you reapply satin Waterlox if need be?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hmmm-- I don't remember. There are coats of original underneath. Only the last coat should be satin. I think I would have to sand again but here is the waterlox page! https://www.waterlox.com/project-help/guide?id=9eff2fa9-c7bc-4cf4-972a-5d19faccfbc8

• spagano
    2 years ago

This is one of my favorite kitchens ever! I come and go from GardenWeb/Houzz but always think of this lovely kitchen.

2LittleFishies thanked spagano
  • eld6161
    2 years ago

8 years! Funny though i remember everything that went into the design if this kitchen, from choosing the yellow paint, to deciding which color cabinetvwent where.

2LittleFishies thanked eld6161
  • decordummy_gw
    2 years ago

I still love it!! Wonder if 2LittleFishies has changed anything in the years since.

2LittleFishies thanked decordummy_gw
  • salonva
    2 years ago

Wow this is really something- so tastefully done. Better yet, it was done 8 years ago and still looks fresh!

2LittleFishies thanked salonva
  • 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Everybody! Thanks for your comments. I still love my kitchen! (Thank goodness- ha) No regrets- all is working well. Perhaps adding a pull out step on the toe kick area because I'm so short. Biggest challenge is keeping any clutter off of the countertops-- which by the way, NO stains on the marble- never an issue. Some etching perhaps and now a small chip here or there. No one else can notice : )

• eld6161
    2 years ago

That’s called living a real life!

2LittleFishies thanked eld6161
  • 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes! Good old BM Barley!!

• tttoolman
    2 years ago

Your kitchen is gorgeous!

I am thinking about using Keith Gilreath for my cabinetry. Would you mind sharing your experience? Feel free to message me. Thanks!

2LittleFishies thanked tttoolman
  • Kelly Bryant
    last year

I love this kitchen!! I love the character and the timelessness with so many of today's great features that we all want. I have been planning a kitchen remodel for what feels like 2 years now and my layout is very similar with the exception to the amount of space you have to the left of your double wall ovens. Thank you for all the detailed pictures as this validates a lot of my current layout choices, especially the corner of your sink wall / cooking wall where I've been back and forth 100 times and where your double ovens are located!!