Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dgormish

Vinyl floor - what did you get?

dgormish
10 years ago

I have looked over a variety of floor options and have decided to replace the current vinyl with a new vinyl. The old one is 20 years old! There are a lot of options out there so I am interested in those who chose vinyl

- what did you get (company, color, etc.)
- how is it holding up / do you like it
- installation (is it glued, floated, etc?)

I am really liking some of the stuff by Earthwerks but not seeing much about it past their website and a few flooring sites that recommended it.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• Datagrrl
    10 years ago

I put vinyl plank flooring, the highest level of stuff from Trafficmaster that they sell at Home Depot. I just put it in the entryway. I like it a lot. I think I need to buy the special cleaner, because the salt this year is doing a number. I don't think there is damage, just constantly mopping.

We saw the exact same floor in a restaurant in St. Louis that had been open a year. We asked the owner if it was the stock stuff from HD, it was. He seemed happy with it as well. I had never installed a floor, so it wasn't easy for me. If I had to do it again it would take a couple hours, not a day like the first time.

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

We have Earthscapes vinyl in our mudroom. It's glued. It's a very nice product. It has different levels of products/warranties. We bought the top, most expensive one. I didn't want it to look bad in 5 years. We got a light gray slate look. It never looks dirty, but it is usually dirty since we track in so much snow, dirt, whatever from the outside.

• mary9915
    10 years ago

We went with Mannington Adura Trulock vinyl plank flooring in spalted maple. It is click together...no gluing or nailing needed.

We've had it about a year and LOVE IT. It is not hard to stand on and has held up beautifully. It looks like new.

We wouldn't hesitate to purchase it again.

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

We actually have Duraceramic vinyl tiles in our bathrooms. It's grouted and has held up very well!!! I would do the again. They are warmer than ceramic, and not as hard.

• wonderrn
    10 years ago

We used metroflor-appalachian series...it is glued. We love it...have hsd for 2 years and with 2 boys and 2 large dogs is holding up beautifully.

• NWRain-Gal
    10 years ago

My Mom (in her 80's) had her kitchen totally remodeled in Sept 2012. After they tore out the old 1970s floor, she had a very smooth subfloor put in and then had full glue Armstrong Cushionstep Best sheet vinyl in Peruvian Slate- Pebble Beige installed. Her cabinets are a honey maple and her counters are Silestone Halley.

The floor has held up beautifully! It is super easy to maintain, looks beautiful and feels nice under foot. She is very happy with it! My Dad can be a little messy, so ease in cleaning and durability was a given. They both love the floor and wouldn't hesitate to use it again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Armstrong Cushionstep Peruvian Slate

• dgormish
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! I think I am finding I like the vinyl tiles the best but I am not opposed the the sheets. So many choices!

I definitely want a lighter color and the ones that look like travertine or marble are really lovely - especially the titles. Tarkett has some of those that are really pretty.

• julieboulangerie
    10 years ago

I have "luxury" vinyl planks from Starloc as a floating floor over 20 year old vinyl in my kitchen; they were installed about a year ago.

They've held up to a boisterous dog's nails and enough of my abuse. A corner of one of the planks is slightly peeled up-- it's tiny, but I can sometimes feel it with my foot if I catch it right- don't know where that came from. I dropped a drill loaded with a bit, and the bit broke on the floor and caused a bit of damage- you can't see it necessarily due to the pattern, but can feel it if you walk over it. Stuff happens. I'm happy with it- it meets expectations for the price I paid and the quality of product I bought.