Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pinch_me

King Arthur dough whisk

pinch_me
13 years ago

I want one! But the price plus shipping is a bit steep for a whisk. Do I need it? I've been watching it for a long time. Does King Arthur ever have a sale?

Here is a link that might be useful: King Arthur dough whisk

Comments (58)

• warmfridge
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I live near the KAF store, and it's a dangerous place to visit. I don't own that whisk though. As pudgy mentioned, a lot of KA's stuff is made for other companies and rebranded by KA with a substantial price increase. It pays to shop around.

• stei7141
    13 years ago

I did some on-line price comparisons for a dough whisk before deciding to get one on amazon.com. I was able to combine it with another purchase in order to qualify for free shipping since paying 50% or more of the purchase price for shipping really irks me!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dough whisks on amazon.com

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

I was also looking at that. That KA catalogue is dope. I have to keep grabbing my arm to refrain from ordering.

• ci_lantro
    13 years ago

I have the Danish dough whisk--the large one. Wish I had ordered the small one because I think it would be more useful. The large one is just too big for a lot of jobs.

But I recently found a dough whisk that I like much better. The heavy wire is in a three dimensional figure 8 pattern and the handle is tapered so it's much more comfortable to use. And it works a lot better than the Danish one. Found it at an estate sale; there's no brand marking on it. And I've searched high & low trying to find another one with no luck.

Anyway, chiming in to let you know that some people love their Danish dough hooks; others not so much. IF you can find the figure 8 style, I recommend it without reservation.

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Had a heart stopping moment at amazon but fantes.com had the cheapest total. I do wish I would have known the small one worked. I was afraid it was too small for dough. OH, well, now I will have both sizes.

ci_lantro, if you ever find another one, keep me in the back of your mind. How many times have I bought something at the second hand store or a garage sale never to see another one like it.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Pinch_me...I didn't know I 'needed' a dough whisk, or even, that they existed, until your post! ;-)

I got the large one, figuring it was best for the size batches of dough I make, but since you said you'll now have both sizes, I am wondering what you think of them in comparison to each other. The big one seems to do the job, but the handle is so big around for my hands, that it's a bit hard to use, especially if I'm trying to mix the dough inside the dough buckets. But a smaller isn't better if it's going to break or not mix through the dough.

Mostly, I find that I kind of knead the dough with it, drawing up from the outside and pushing down into the center to mix. Do the rest of you use more of a stirring action?

I wrote a post for my blog to share about my initial uses of this tool, but really was curious to know how you were getting along with it...and if I'm using it right!

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

• macybaby
    13 years ago

I was just thinking about this thread the other day. Was mixing up some biscuits and got to thinking maybe this took would work OK for that (the smaller one- that is) but I couldn't remember what the tool was called.

Now I know what I need to buy - along with one of those oil spritzer things . . .

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

And I have both sizes. In a drawer! I'm trying to stay away from the kinds of things those things make. But I still have a magazine on the counter opened to a bread recipe.....

• westsider40
    13 years ago

Got my large one from Amazon this week. Part of a larger order, no shipping. No kitchen yet, either. Pretty soooon! Cabs arrived today.

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Have you touched them yet, westsider40? I opened mine ASAP!

• ironcook
    13 years ago

pinch_me! if i keep reading your threads, i'll be in trouble. ;)

spent who knows how long at the KA site. i haven't baked in a few years, but now i can't wait until the kitchen's done! :)

• westsider40
    13 years ago

Yes, pinch, I opened them in a nanosecond. In the same box, I got a thing called a Nordic Ware cake lifter, which is 10"diameter, nonstick metal, which I hope to use like a pizza peel-and transfer parchment bedded dough to the oven, or smaller pizzas(less than 12) to an oven. I opened and touched. I hope the large whisk is ok.

Enjoy yours, everyone.

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ironcook, is it birds of a feather or misery loves company?

• beth4
    13 years ago

I have this dough mixer and it's absolutely fabulous for mixing bread dough. Just a few turns with this whisk and the dough is totally mixed. Clean up is an absolute breeze, and the bits of dough on the whisk are easy to remove. This tool is very much worth the investment.

I purchased mine from a local store that specializes in kitchen items. The 8" long whisk cost a bit over $5.00 and the 11" whisk cost $8.79.

Check out your local stores...I'm guessing you'll be able to find the same whisk for less money than the KA website quotes.

• ironcook
    13 years ago

haha, pinch_me! neither... you're just a good influence on me. i'm learning a lot... yeah, that's it. ;)

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

westsider40!! Did you fondle the cabs! Silly girl!

I hadn't cooked or baked in more years than I can remember but the new kitchen makes me want to do all that stuff again. Tomorrow I'm getting the bottom lazy susans installed and rearranging all the cupboards. That will take all day. I do want to try out the whisks, the bread recipe that is open on the counter shouldn't take too long. I'm thinking I could mix it up and move cupboard contents around while it raises.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

The large one (15") was just over $9 from Amazon, if I remember right. I ordered my bread buckets with mine, so I could free up the mixing bowls I was keeping full of doughs in the fridge. --And a movie to make the $25. I can't ever order any less than the 'free shipping' limit from Amazon, either.

The 'cake lifter' is something I've never heard of...Didn't know I needed a tool for that! But it looks like it could be a good pizza peel.

• westsider40
    13 years ago

LOL, Pinch, you must have seen me fondling my cabs. I can't wait to go downstairs and see them in the morning light. I love them more than anything else. My cabinets are the star of my kitchen. The appliances are supporting players. I love my cabs more than my new car, first new car in 15 years. oooh, baby!

Yeah, rhome,, thanks, hoping the cake lifter will be fun and helpful. I love toys, too.

beth4, is there a technique you have for mixing dough quickly with the whisk? Please share, if you don't mind. thanks.

• ci_lantro
    13 years ago

Pinch me--I'll definitely remember you if I see another one of those figure 8 mixer thingees. I so much prefer it to the Danish one that I have.

Rhome--Yes, my big complaint w/ the Danish dough mixer is that the handle is too big around and is soooo uncomfortable to use. Reminds me that I want to take it to the workshop and whittle the handle down some so that it fits my hand better. If I can get it shaped so that it's comfortable to use then I can give it a better test to see if it's going to earn a permanent spot in the tool crock. (I bought the large sized one--would prolly have more use for the smaller of the two.)

If you go the the Breadtopia site, you can watch a video of the Danish Whisk in use. You can then compare how he uses it with your method.

• John Liu
    13 years ago

This thread has an intriguing title, so I peeked in. Yikes. I feel like I've stumbled into some secretive occult Amazon women's utensil worship ritual. I'm backing fearfully away, making for the safety of the shadows, when I step - snap! - on a twig. In the torchlight, the Amazon women turn their glowing eyes on me, and raise their King Arthur dough whisks . . .

Please let me go. Your secret is safe with me. I saw nothing!

• westsider40
    13 years ago

And then Pinch, stealthily worked her way behind John while ci-lantro kept her glowing, glazed eyes on John's forehead. John looked to the side and felt the eyes of rhome and ironcook burning into him. His skin reddened.

• beth4
    13 years ago

West, I use the shorter handle dough whisk because I thought it would be easier to use. I just stir the dough with the whisk until all dry ingredients are incorporated. Very quick, very easy, and takes just a few turns. No special technique required.

Never a bread baker, I discovered the fabulous books "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day" & "Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes a Day", and am delighted by the looks and taste of the bread I'm baking. Here's a link to their website:

Here is a link that might be useful: Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day

• John Liu
    13 years ago

After a bloody frenzy of merciless whisking, only a few strands of gluten were left. The dough gods appeased, the Amazon women returned to their village, where every grass hut concealed an Aga cooker and broad marble counters, not etched at all.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

...except, Johnliu, the hut where Elizabeth Taylor resides happily with her Wolf oven... ;-)

Beth4. it is those 5-minute artisan recipes I am using mine for, as I was just using a large metal cooking spoon before, and I thought this should incorporate things more easily. Either the handle on my whisk is too big or the buckets too narrow (both?) for me to use a normal stirring motion adequately.

Duh...Never thought about narrowing the handle myself, Ci Lantro!

• westsider40
    13 years ago

Me, too. Never baked before. Became obsessed with abin5 and cannot believe that I baked bread, real bread, and so tasty. Thanks everyone.

Oh, pooh, I should have bought the small one. Well, since I am in a buying frenzy for the new k, if and when I have another Amazon order, I will get the small one. I DO enjoy mixing with a wooden spoon and then my hands.

Ok, back to the story. "merciless whisking"? hysterically funny. I'd like to go on but you are a writer in your own class! Grass huts with Agas? Calacatta marble? poor glutens, lost forever, sad.

John shyly tiptoed into the first hut. He saw the aprons hanging on the hall tree in the foyer and put one on. He washed his hands in the foyer sink. John was ready.

• John Liu
    13 years ago

And he was pleasantly surprised to see Elizabeth Taylor entering the hut . . .

• westsider40
    13 years ago

"Liz-Baby", John said, (but of course it was the ETAylor of that Cat on a Hot tin Roof poster). "John", she murmured. "Are you bakin'? I have been waiting for you all my life! Mmmm, tasty."

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, to show you where MY mind was going, I was going to have Liz wearing a filmy white negligee! Maybe I'll change that to filmy white full length apron, covering her completely except for.......

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We have bread!!

And I burnt myself cutting hot bread. I'm on my second piece.

• westsider40
    13 years ago

Oh, Pinch, those breads are beautiful. Great crumb and crust. Isn't baking bread a satisfying feat? Don't you feel proud of yourself? What recipe did you use? Those really look nice--and delish.

I was so proud when I made bread, I couldn't believe it. I read about bread baking since August and didn't have the guts, afraid of failure, until December. And then, whoa momma, it was great. So congrats.

• John Liu
    13 years ago

Okay, don't make me post that picture of Liz playing rhome in her negligee. Or was that rhome playing Liz?

Pinch, your bread looks great. Bread is amazing - a mass of gluey stuff turns into delicious food.

Here's the thing - each of those loaves is 1,000 calories - I found out . . .

• ironcook
    13 years ago

oh, those look so delicious! you did a wonderful job. i have baking envy!!!

and then you can make big, thick slices of toast in the morning, with lots of butter... oh my, yum! :)

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's the thing - each of those loaves is 1,000 calories - I found out . . .

No! No! Say it ain't so!!

I'd forgotten how little time this takes. I could have squeezed it in earlier today. Oh, well.

Here is a link that might be useful: mostly this recipe

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

I'll have to try that. I like English muffin bread but have yet to find a good recipe. Thanks!

...John noticed Liz's red lips were stained with the juicy of luscious strawberries, and he was about to pull her closer, when she slapped his hand with her King Arthur Danish whisk, large size.

• ironcook
    13 years ago

pinch_me... okay, what's your secret when you say "mostly" this recipe?! :)

what brand of yeast did you use? in my limited experience, the brand makes a difference in the taste. (i probably need to find the baking forum.)

did anyone notice that in the photos submitted for the recipe, each person's loaf looked different?!

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think it was Red Star regular. I have a jar of regular, a packet of quick rise - who knew that was the yeast of choice for these "new" recipes??- and I had a strip of Fleischmann's. I buy whatever. Maybe if I paid closer attention I would know that brand makes a difference. I'm more anticipating getting through all the Fareway and Gold Medal flour so I can use my King Arthur. I've been told by several people once I use King Arthur I'll never go back. Or I will break open the K.A. and donate my other unopened flours to the food pantry.

Pictures?? There were pictures?? I did a boo-boo though when mine was rising. I had it too close to the oven vent and it got started baking on the top of one end. Pulled the saran wrap off, destroyed the nice top I had, shoved it in the oven and baked it anyway.

• ironcook
    13 years ago

thanks for replying, pinch_me.

Red Star in the jar is what i was using, too. oh, i agree you'll like King Arthur flour, too. :) but i didn't care for the taste of the "white" whole wheat, if i remember correctly.

yes, there were photos of the english muffin bread, too! right below the photo for the recipe, it says "1 of 7 Photos" in small print. it's pretty easy to miss.

i linked to the pics below.

Here is a link that might be useful: English Muffin Bread Pics

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike's Manna Mash. Mixing was SO easy this time! This is a batch of parrot food. I have to do it 5 or so times a year. When I get everything in there it nearly fills the cooler.

• ironcook
    13 years ago

a multi-tasker! it's a keeper! :)

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

I just bought some parrot food that I have to cook up this weekend. I don't think I need a whisk that big though. ;-)

So sad that John's tryst with Elizabeth Taylor has to end. I enjoyed watching her so much, as well as admired her jewelry.

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I never cared for her.

In case you ever want to make the mash recipe:

FULL RECIPE, THEN DIVIDE BY 8 FOR 1/8 RECIPE

1/2 cup dry black-eyed peas

1/2 cup dry pinto beans

1/2 cup dry kidney beans

1/2 cup dry split peas - a mix of green and yellow

1/2 cup dry garbanzo beans

1/2 cup dry black beans

1/2 cup dry soy beans

1 cup dry great northern white beans

1/2 cup dry wheat berry grain

1/2 cup dry pearl barley grain

1 cup dry wild rice

Rinse the beans, grains and rice, then soak them overnight (8 hours or
    so) in a large pot, covered with about an inch of water. Do not change the water before cooking as you want to retain as many of the nutrients as possible. In the morning add or remove water as needed to cover the
    mixture with about one inch of water. Bring the water to a full boil and boil for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cover the pot, continue to cook for 20 minutes more. Ideally there will be just enough water to cook the beans, with very little extra.

3 medium sweet potatoes

4 medium white potatoes

Scrub, quarter and then slice these into 1/8 inch slices. Then steam
    these

lightly in a steamer, stirring every few minutes to cook them evenly.

3 pounds frozen corn

3 pounds frozen peas

3 pounds frozen carrots

3 pounds frozen green beans

I add these to the hot beans and potatoes. It cools them off and
    stops the cooking process while barely thawing the vegetables. I like to cut the carrots up a bit, just because my birds prefer the different shapes and I think that they tend to be a bit large most of the time.

1/2 pound fresh parsley

3 medium zucchini

4 large tomatoes

1/2 pound of mustard greens

6 large bananas

6 medium apples

4 peeled oranges

1/2 cup cranberries (fresh or frozen)

1 mango (peeled and pitted)

2 papayas (peeled, leave the seeds in)

1-1/2 pounds of green grapes

I run these items through a food processor to chop them a little.
    Do not process them too fine, the birds prefer the chunks of things.
    An alternative Is to slice them up by hand (this will add more time to
    making the mash).

1/4 cup dried pumpkin seeds

1/4 cup sesame seeds

1/4 cup dry powdered kelp

1/4 cup alfalfa powder

These things I just put in whole (or powdered as the case may be). I
    mix this all together thoroughly and then freeze it in sandwich bags in
    daily serving portions. I take one bag out of the freezer and thaw it in the refrigerator for 24 hours, and serve it the next day. I do not
    recommend the use a microwave to thaw or warm this mash, as this may destroy valuable nutrients and according to some researchers it can also change the molecular structure of the foods. I�m not sure if it does or not, but it�s easy enough to avoid nuking these foods. You can warm it by placing it in warm water.

Posted by: "Adrianne" : 2 - 3 rinses before the initial overnight soak. Keeps the water clearer, removes toxins that the legumes produce as they soak/germinate and increases digestability. I also do not use red kidney beans, and have cut back on the black beans as well, as they are more difficult to digest. I use navy beans for the white beans and substitute adzuke (also called aduki or azuke) beans, mung beans and lentils, as they are much easier to digest.

• edie_g
    13 years ago

When I heard about Elizabeth Taylor, my first thought was oh no, who will be fanning the cooking flames with John?

Who will inherit her King Arthur Danish whisk, size large?

• John Liu
    13 years ago

Maggie The Cat has lived her ninth life.

For me, she lives on at rhome's house, purring with her Wolf.

Thank you, Liz.

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Remember how she hated to be called Liz? Elizabeth. You'd think with her star power no one would call her Liz.

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

LOL @ Pinch. That amount of food would serve my little guys for 10 years.

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's why you only make an eighth of a recipe at a time. I make the full batch! Freeze it in week sized portions. It's gone before I know it. I do know enough to buy the things in season that I can't grow. One of the freezers is devoted to critter food. Ingredients or totally prepared.

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

I freeze mash in ice cube trays, then keep the cubes in plastic bags. Half of my freezer is full of bird food too.

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What recipe do you use?

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

I don't really have one. I just throw in stuff. Sometimes I use a purchased mix...since I make relatively small amounts, that's not too expensive. And I freeze mashed sweet potatoes in ice cube trays also.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

For me, she lives on at rhome's house, purring with her Wolf.

:-D, John.
    Hoping to keep the spirit and, especially, attitude alive to live up to those expectations.

Definitely a new idea for baking attire...