Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mandy1360

want a traditional AND modern white kitchen, help!

mandy1360
15 years ago

My house have lots of traditional elements in it,a totally modern kitchen won't fit in, but I love the modern look. To put the two things together, what elements should I pick?

So far, I decide on using IKEA lidingo white cabs, a dark concrete countertop, stainless steel appliance, and want to pick a really modern staight line stainless steel hood. One thing really bugs me is I like the look of glass door cabs on each side of the hood,but lidingo glass cabs door has mullions (is this the right way to describe it??) or panels, quite traditional, will this glass door looking right next to a real modern stainless hood? Can't picture it. :(

Just say, it will look weird, my next quesions is can I find a glass door with no mullions and has the same color as the lidingo white, with frosted glass??

And sink! what kind of sink will give a subtle modern vibe? Have no clue, suggestions please.

Then, finally, what backsplash should I pick to pull everything together, even more clueless here.

need every bit of help I can get from here. THANK YOU.

Comments (11)

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

Quickly, I love (really love) your vision.

1) Get the IKEA door. You can remove the interior panel and have your local glass shop put in any sort of glass (patterned, clear, etc.) your heart desires. You are NOT restricted to IKEA's choices.

2) What about a stainless apron front sink? You get the traditional shape but with a more modern, "industrial" material. ???

3) Your backsplash can wait. Let all the other pieces come together, and then trust your eye about what else your kitchen needs.

Can't wait to watch your kitchen come together!

• caligal
    15 years ago

I have always loved this kitchen. It is modern yet has traditional touches.

Here is a link that might be useful: White Ikea kitchen

• morton5
    15 years ago

Here's a Lidingo kitchen with some modern elements. With Lidingo, I think a curved hood like this might look better than a flat hood-- it's softer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lidingo kitchen

• mandy1360
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, rmkitchen! About the glass door, can the white panel be taken off too? I mean the grid which divide the glass into 6 little squares?? If this can be done, that will be great, one big problem solved! I was thinking about stainless apron front sink, but it will be next to a stainless front DW, will this be too much stainless? Should I get a white DW? Though, I'd love to keep all the applance the same color. I guess the backsplash can wait, though it would be nice to have some ideas. :))
    Thank you, caligal, for the pictures, LOVE that kitchen, wish could copy it, but it's a bit too modern for my house. :(

• joann23456
    15 years ago

I wouldn't just assume that you can remove the center panel to insert glass. I happen to have a Lidingo door right here, and it is *not* traditional frame-and-panel construction. The back is entirely smooth. Maybe the door started life as a thick panel and was routed to create the door design?

I'm not sure whether you can remove the panel from a Lidingo glass door, though. Maybe so.

Good luck - it sounds nice!

• morton5
    15 years ago

Mandy, if you want a frosted glass upper, use the Avsikt door. It has an aluminum edge, though.

I don't think the glass or the mullions can be removed from Ikea doors.

• danielle00
    15 years ago

I am getting a Ticor zero-radius sink for my kitchen. We had it in our other house and it was really great. galaxytoolsupply carries them.

• scootermom
    15 years ago

Ooh...I love that Lidi white kitchen morton5 posted. Simple, clean, and modern, but with touches of warmth from the floor...and I like the mullions, too!

Chris

• donka
    15 years ago

mandy1360 - check these out. I'm also considering the Lidingo cabinets. This is the display at my local Ikea, with modern hood and the glass cabs on the side:

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

Check out zipdee's kitchen. Traditional and modern. White cabs, stainless counters. Gorgeous.

• segbrown
    15 years ago