Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phoggie_gw

I need your best cleaner for SS appliances and hardwood

phoggie
11 years ago

I am so excited that my new house is just about finished....now I need all of you knowledgable posters on how to take care of it. I have never had SS before, and I have read so many conflicting posts on oil vs. water based cleaners, etc. that I am totally confused...so what works best for you?

Also, how do you clean your "real" hardwood floors? I do not want to be a slave, but appreciate a clean house. Thanks!

Comments (14)

• gayl
    11 years ago

I use the cleaner that they sell at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. I have tried many others, and that seems to be the best.

• mrsmortarmixer
    11 years ago

I just use a damp mop with water or water with a tiny bit of vinegar every week to mop my hardwood floors. Dry mopping or sweeping daily and wiping up obvious messes if I see them. I use soapy water if I find something that the damp mop won't wipe up easily in a single pass. About once a month, I use a very diluted solution of water and Mr. Clean Multi-Surface with Febreze because it smells amazing. If I really want them to look great, I get down on my hands and knees and do a section at a time, drying with a clean towel as I go.

• gayl
    11 years ago

Oops, I meant to say SS Cleaner from BBB.

• User
    11 years ago

Weiman stainless steel wipes are the best, tried them after many on this board have written about them and because I wanted to stop using sprays with aerosolized petroleum products. I use a spray bottle of very diluted Method cleaner on my floors.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Alcohol-water spray on my SS and on my granite (I add Lavender essential oil to my mixture; you can find it in health food stores, Mrs. Green's, Fairway....). Spray, wipe dry with a microfiber cloth. I use it for light-medium cleaning of my Wolf ranges's black enamel burner pans, too.

For HW floors I use Bona cleaner--from BB&B with coupon!

• Gracie
    11 years ago

I use a damp Libman Scrubbing Bubbles microfiber sponge on my SS, followed by drying it with a microfiber cloth. Wipe in the direction of the grain. Fingerprints buff off pretty easily.

I just damp mop the hardwood a few times a year. I don't have it in my kitchen.

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

Can't help with SS because I don't have any (yet).

I have a house full of "real" hardwood floors finished in plain old polyurethane. I just damp mop with a small amount of vinegar in warm water. I use a mop that has the microfiber pads that just velcro on to the base....LOVE those things! I also use this type of mop to wash walls with.

I sweep/dust my floors with Swiffers. I will use my soft-bristed Old Cedar broom occasionally if I have had a busy day in the kitchen and have lots of crumbs on the floor or if "grit" has been packed in at the entry way. sweep with a soft-bristled Old Cedar broom before swiffereing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Microfiber Mop similar to mine

• karen_belle
    11 years ago

We use a rag with mineral oil (baby oil) on it to clean our SS fridge.

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

I use a microfiber for the SS and it's great! I have a SS cleaner that came with ovens but only used it once or twice as the microfiber does a great job.

This is probably the same as any microfiber but I like it : )
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029R8TK/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i00

I also read great things about this WOW! SS Cleaner but haven't used it yet.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GEZU8M/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i01

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

No help on SS, but vinegar and water on the hardwood floors.

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    11 years ago

Stainless cleaner by Bayes is easily the best I have found. You must use a microfiber cloth with it. I have tried just about everything on the market and this one is so easy, does not fingerprint and is not greasy. A small amount does the job!

• dretutz
    11 years ago

I also use water+rubbing alcohol+a couple drops of lavender oil in a spray bottle for all SS. Spray, wipe with microfiber and it is not only clean, but resists prints.

One of the best tips I got on this site. Cost is less than commercil cleaners, no aerosol, not harsh.

• function_first
    11 years ago

I babied the stainless for the first 3 years with various cleaners and polishers. Got tired of it, and tried Pinesol one day (dilute solution in a sinkful of water with a microfiber)--- low and behold it worked great! Left it as shiny as the Sprayaway stainless polish I was using (and the million others before that...), and what's more it stays cleaner between cleanings because a wipe with a wet rag doesn't leave a streak anymore like it would when the surface was polished.

• phoggie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok..sounds like water and alcohol on SS and water and vinegar on hardwood...hope I do not get the two confused...and a huge supply of microfiber towels. Thanks to all.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES