Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flynnnj

Pocket/Flipper Door instead of an appliance garage???

flynnnj
12 years ago

Has anyone put a microwave or coffee maker into a cabinet that sits right on the counter?

Here's my idea... have a cabinet built that would be a regular cabinet box minus the bottom so it could just rest on the counter. We would order the pocket/flipper door glides from Accuride or another hardware company.

My cabinets doors are full overlay Shaker style. The doors above the micro/coffee area go to the ceiling and will have beaded glass.

The 2 doors for this cabinet would have to be inset to work with the glides. I even thought about taking out the center of door and inserting punched tin in the center to finish it off.

If the KD says that he can't do it or the price he wants to charge is crazy then maybe I could just have that cabinet delivered without the doors being attached. That way we could do it.

Yes? No? What glitches did I miss?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pocket Door Glide Info

Comments (11)

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    12 years ago

We pretty much did this. The only difference is, we didn't put ours right on the counter.

We have a big cabinet (36 inches) w/ a fold-back pocket door. Inside, there are plugs and then there is a roll-out shelf on which will sit the appliances. That way, if we want to roll it out, we can roll it out so the appliances come out (although you don't have to, you can use it inside as well)
    Below the roll-out shelf w/ the appliances on it, we put a pull-out work surface so if you wanted to, you could pull that out and have extra space in front of the appliances for mixing things, etc.

I have no actual pictures of the inside of the cabinet right now, but here's the mock-up drawing I did of it

It is inside the cabinet you see here w/ the mirror on its front (leftmost cabinet; the mirrored right one is the fridge). The door folds all the way back in:

• flynnnj
    Original Author
    12 years ago

beaglesdoitbetter - I couldn't wait to get home from school so I could write you back! What kind of glide did you use for the door that flips up and back into the cabinet instead of being a pocket door on the side. That's another idea that may be good for my space. BTW - your kitchen is GORGEOUS! The granite, the cabinets, the layout - you must loving being in the space... but where are the beagles??

• threebees
    12 years ago

flynnnj, we had a cabinet modified by our carpenter for our coffee and tea making supplies. We kept it simple and just had him remove the bottom of the cabinet and leave the doors as is. He did attach the shelf permanently for some extra stability. Our cabinet is 24 inches wide, the doors are 12 inches each and the depth is 15 inches. I think it works because the cabinet is right beside the refrigerator side panel so one of the doors opens on to that. We thought that we might have to install a wider opening hinge on to the left door to make it really comfortable to use but we have been using it for over a year and it works perfectly. I'll attach a couple of pics, not the best but it will give you the general idea.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    12 years ago

flynnnj I'm not sure I understand your question. The door slides back in on the left side, it doesn't go up. It just goes back inside of the door. Is that what you mean?

If so, I'll email my cabinet maker to find out how he did it. It works really well b/c the door goes back inside and is basically gone when the cabinet is open (well, it sticks out a little forward because it is deeper than the cabinet, but not in an obtrusive way).

The beagles are in Florida with me and the kitchen is in PA :) The beagles will have plenty of time to be photographed in the kitchen though! I just hope they approve but I suspect they will as long as there are treats for them in the fridge.

• clarygrace
    12 years ago

For our appliance garage we've chosen a vertical lift door like this one.

• flynnnj
    Original Author
    12 years ago

threebees - Your set up looks a lot like what I imagined for mine. Thank you so much for posting the pictures - they really help - how deep is your base cabinet? Is your refrigerator a normal 30-33" depth? It looks more like 24". Mine is deep so I'm making the base 30" and the uppers 18" deep. Each door will be 18" wide (yours are only 12) but maybe it will be all proportional??

beaglesdoitbetter - thank you for asking your cabinet maker. I want my beverage/micro area to look a little like threebees and sit right on the counter. Difference is my cabinet would be 18" high, 36" wide and 18" deep. If I can make it work I'd like to do the pocket doors that glide back into the cabinet. I know that they'll still stick out a few inches but I think that may be better for my situation. The left side will be next to the refrig and not in anyone's way but the right side is next to a passageway and people may bump into the open door. BTW - I lived in Pennsylvania many years ago and much of my family is in Florida; now I guess I'm a Jersey girl.. but NO WAY a Jersey shore girl like Snookie -

clarygrace - I love your lift up door and the glass on the front of it. Would I still be able to open the cabinet above? I wanted to put the coffee cups and dishes above and it looks like the flip-up door may stop the upper cabinets from opening.

• Kelly Baughman
    6 years ago

I'm looking for a garage cabinet door that lifts up and recesses into the cabinet- on top, rather than on the sides. Does any one have any lift system manufacturer to recommend? Accuride? Sugatsune? Thanks

• KD
    6 years ago

This kind of thing is exactly what I hope to do in a kitchen for a baking area.

• Kelly Baughman
    6 years ago

If you find a good lift system, let me know!