Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajard

Shelf above sink window or Wood Valence to match cabinets

ajard
14 years ago

I am trying to decide if I should keep the wood valance across the window above my sink that is drawn in on my KD plans or get rid of it and put a shelf up above it that I can put decorative items on. Does anyone have any photos of a shelf above a window? It is a regular double hung window. I don't want to use any fabric on this window and I dont need to put anything for privacy

Comments (14)

• kateskouros
    14 years ago

i've seen less than a handful of valances i thought were done well. they seem a bit too superfluous to me. but open shelves i love! they provide an opportunity to do something beyond the expected.

• ajard
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you.. how do you think it would look over a single window that cabinets on both sides with thick mouldings? My cabinets will come to the ceiling and then break at the window for the shelves? Anyone have something like this

• biochem101
    14 years ago

That's a very popular look in my area (outside Phila.).

Here is a couple shots from a local cabinet maker where I knew the designer likes to put these in. Sorry they aren't straight on! Personally, I like the shelf better than the valance option. Although I wouldn't want too many (for the dust factor).

Hope this helps!

• ajard
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh that is great. exactly what I wanted to see! Thank you soo much

• John Liu
    14 years ago

I had planned a pot rack over the sink, myself. But . . .

These open-shelf-over-sink pictures are very attractive, and I'm now thinking of choosing a pot rack with a grid such that it can serve as a shelf too, and maybe a wood facing disguising the exposed edge of the rack, so that it will look more like a shelf.

Also, the dishrack thread is making me think of a perforated steel shelf that could serve as dish drain/dry rack, above the sink. This, too, could be disguised via wood facing.

The dishrack idea would work if the rack/shelf is mounted lower - in front of, rather than over, the window - as shown in some of the pictures.

I like that lower mounting because, when the rack is used as shelf, glass vases, mercury glass, etc would glow with backlighting.

• danielle84
    14 years ago

It all depends on your above the sink lighting. If it is recessed I would suggest you keep the wooden valance. If you want a country look than the shelf is perfect. The less dusting I have to do the better it is.

• ajard
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am going to redo my lighting anyway... so I dont think it will matter. I am going to ask my contractor

• 3katz4me
    14 years ago

Here's mine - a combination of shelf and lighting. I really love this.

{{!gwi}}

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

Love all of the beautiful shelf ideas above. We opted for a valance. There are 3 small lights behind the valance that illuminate the sink area. It suits our 1952 home. Here is a photo in case you are still considering the valance option.

• pharaoh
    14 years ago

I vote for no valance, no curtain, no shelf, no clutter :) (unless you need more storage space but you can plan for that now and keep the window clutter free).

• ajard
    Original Author
    14 years ago

gibby3000, love your shelf with lights!!!! My ceiling is only 8 feet so I cant do what you did, but I LOVE It

• susie1010
    14 years ago

Love the shelves across the windows that do not have any upper cabinets.

Gibby, yours is beautiful, especially with the big window above it.

Otherwise, I agree with pharoah. Less dusting is always good. We took the molding back to the wall to eliminate the valance.

• tressgardenstoo
    13 years ago

While looking for pictures of shelf valances I just fell in love with the slipcovers on the chairs in the picture that kateskouros posted. Are these slipcovers yours or a pic that you found? Any idea where to find them or do you think they're custom made? I have chairs like that and can never find a cover that allows for exposed wood arms and legs. Please let me know! Thanks!

• kylady7
    10 years ago

gibby3000
    Or anyone else that can direct me to the pictures, it didn't show when I used the link...
    Will you Please post your picture again of your shelf and Light over Kitchen Window...I was thinking of doing the same...But didn't know How it would look...
    Would Appreciate it so much...thanks