Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wags848

Does This Soapstone & Marble Work?

wags848
10 years ago

Greetings! I am a daily lurker & have learned so much from this forum. Thanks in advance for your thoughts & ideas with my kitchen challenge!

We want to "freshen" our 15 y/o kitchen. Looking at new countertops, cabinet hardware, new sink & faucet, & possibly new appliances & a backsplash. The cabinets are in good shape; they will stay. We do not want granite. Photo of current kitchen is attached.

I lust for soapstone & almost purchased a remnant for my island last year. Afraid that it would be too dark with our cabinets, I passed on it. I've been wandering the slab yards again & keep coming back to soapstone. Again, concerned it may be too dark & am looking for a lighter/greenish soapstone.

Today I went to a new stone wholesaler; they had some interesting, unique soapstone...unlike any I've seen before. There was a mottled gray slab that I wasn't drawn to until we wet it down...then the beautiful green tones came through, plus golden veining. I was told if oiled, the slab would not turn black...just greenish. It's also relatively inexpensive (lowest cost in their warehouse...about $50/sq ft), as it's the only slab they have like it, it's not a large slab, & they said a lot of people just don't like the green tones. Hmmm...maybe meant for me?

I would have to do the perimeter in something else, which is fine. Our style is eclectic/modern cottage; don't need the counters to be the same. They have some nice honed White Mountain Danby marble that has some green/gold/gray in it. It could tie in nicely. There should be enough soapstone to make a sink; considering that as well.

Opinions? Do you think the soapstone works with my cabinets & kitchen? Is the marble too white/cold with the rest of the kitchen? Perhaps I should just get the soapstone for the island & live with it for awhile before deciding on the perimeter? The cost for the soapstone is less than the remnant I considered, so I could always repurpose it if we didn't like it. But I think it would tie in with our sage green walls, & oiling it would make the veining pop & there would be less of the "mottled" look.

I'll post more pictures below (not sure how to post several). Thanks in advance for any input!

Comments (22)

• wags848
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the soapstone unoiled (called Polaris):

• wags848
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the soapstone with water on it:

• wags848
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Veining:

• wags848
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the White Mountain Danby marble:

• wags848
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Veining in marble. Is the marble too busy with the busy soapstone?

• lascatx
    10 years ago

I would do one or the other. They are both beautiful, but not together. IMO the busier one is the calmer the companion needs to be. From what you've said and looking at your kitchen. I'd use the soapstone. It is something special and if you like it, go for it.

Wonder if you could find a solid surface or something in a seafoam to pearl grey that would go with the soapstone better than a true white.

• wags848
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lascatx - Thx for your input! Something more quiet on the perimeter would work. White does seem too stark/cold...almost a bathroom feel. I will check out the seafoam & pearl grey colors. Thx again!

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

Rethink setting those cabinets literally in stone. They aren't in as good a shape as you think they are. There's only the one drawer base, and they are starting to show their age with the areas where the tinted varnish top coat is revealing the wood underneath. The contrast between the brand new top grade materials and builder grade cabinets isn't likely to do them any favors. And then you'll be stuck with them because you might damage the stone to try to remove it and do something else. Do the something else first, then do stone.

• gr8daygw
    10 years ago

That's a gorgeous soapstone and looks great with your cabinet color and your wall color. I think it would look so nice and you would love it. Having stone on the countertops is such a nice upgrade to a kitchen. I had old pinkish color Corian before and though it is the best feeling and easiest upkeep and I loved my Corian sink, the look of the granite I now have is such a lavish improvement to the overall feel of the room. It's easy too, but I do miss that soft feel of the Corian but nothing else about it.

I think you would love the soapstone and it's not a huge investment if you don't, but you will : ) What's not to love? It's not a gamble color wise or outrageous pattern to worry about. I even like it with the perimeter stone you are looking at. You could use the less prominent veining parts of the stone for the areas closest to the island and do the more definite pattern farther away. There is no way I could do new cabinets and found that by replacing my countertop, the faucet, sink and pulls it gave the facelift that satisfied me. On down the road I may do some paint but the cabinets are solid and in good condition and new ones are not in the budget. One designer suggested if I just really wanted a different finish or painted cab to just replace the uppers. But they are in perfect condition, it's the lowers that will go first. But they are still in pristine condition with lots of upgrades such as trim, roll outs, drawers and upgraded doors. Not going to happen.

You could have your cabinets touched up in the places that are worn a bit or re-stained perhaps if they need it..in time.

• wags848
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hollysprings - Food for thought. I hear you; have thought about that a bit. The cabinets are Aristocraft maple with a cherry stain... a "step up" builder grade. The door front in the pictures is a reject from when they installed the cabinets; it's been in the back of my van for a year & is truly battered. The kitchen cabinets are in better shape than the single door. However, you raise a good point. The cabinets may look "shabbier" in contrast with the new stone.

I would love white cabinets; reluctant to paint the ones we have (not wild about the arch). Hmmm...I will ponder this and peruse the Ikea kitchen catalog.

Thanks for your honest input!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

"And then you'll be stuck with them because you might damage the stone to try to remove it and do something else."

I've been hired to remove stone so that new cabinets could be installed and the stone reinstalled. I broke and repaired 3 sink rails on 3 separate jobs and I'm really good at this.

The hollinator knows of what she speaks.

• wags848
    Original Author
    10 years ago

gr8day - Thank you for your comments! So good to hear from someone who's been in a similar situation & had a successful kitchen facelift! Our Formica is still in great shape & we've been happy with it. I've wondered if we'd like the "cold" feeling of a stone compared to Formica & have actually felt guilty about ripping out countertops in good shape. But, we are ready for a change...and we'll repurpose at least the island Formica for a desk/working area for the kids in the basement.

I think the soapstone was meant to be! I've been searching for so long...and then stumbled across this slab. Can't believe the price either...and that sure reduces the risk with the decision! I think the color would work, too. Thanks for your opinion & great input! You've helped put me at ease about the soapstone. And great idea re the marble/pattern placement. Lots to consider. I will meet with fabricators on Monday & get quotes & their input. Going to get that soapstone for sure!!

• wags848
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Trebruchet - Good to know. You & the "hollinator" raise a good point re cabinet replacement down the road...I will weigh your input into the equation. I'm pretty comfortable replacing the island countertop now. There are no cutouts; just a rectangle...so I'm assuming less risk if we wanted to replace the island down the road. I'll think long and hard about the perimeter cabinets.

Thank you!

• wags848
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Finally getting around to posting photos of our island facelift. We do love the soapstone (although I still suspect it might be serpentine)...no staining, no scratches, indestructible. Love that it is organic, inert, needs no sealing, & is unique. I have to admit I sometimes miss the feel of laminate; it's taken a bit of time to get used to the cold feeling of a stone. Laminate is more forgiving as well; we've broken a few glasses on the soapstone. But it's a nice improvement.

It's time to start looking for perimeter counter options. We love the soapstone a lot; have considered a less busy, more traditional black soapstone. But concerned it will be too dark in the kitchen. The other option at the moment is a honed Danby Marble. The marble shown in earlier posts looked too busy; hunting for a slab more calm. Open to suggestions!! Thanks to all.

• wags848
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Soapstone island:

• wags848
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Samples: Honed Arabescato Mountain Danby, Mirasol black soapstone (counter & samples a bit wet)

• julieste
    9 years ago

I have soapstone and Carrera marble in my kitchen--soapstone on my long L-shaped counter and marble on the smaller more buffet or pastry work center. I like them both, and, in fact, in many ways find the honed marble easier to care for than the soapstone.

I do have a caution for you though. Soapstone does seem to soak up the light in the kitchen. You might find that with all soapstone your kitchen will seem a lot darker than with your current light counters.

• lam702
    9 years ago

Love the soapstone, but not the marble backsplash, too much going on together. I'd pick a more subdued backsplash.

• wags848
    Original Author
    9 years ago

needinfo1 - Appreciate your input. Yes, the 'dark factor' is my biggest concern with all soapstone. Have been leaning toward the marble, plus keeping appliances white (for now). I really like the Ikea farm sink; would keep it bright. The challenge will be finding the right slab of honed marble that is not too busy. Just hard to pull the trigger!

hpny2 - The marble is being considered for the perimeter countertops only. We will most likely have no backsplash; we like the green paint, as it goes really well with the green in the soapstone. Afraid that too much stone will be too busy. Countertops first though; then we'll decide for sure about the backsplash. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea Sink

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

Just chiming in to say I really like your soapstone.
    It's quite a nice upgrade to your kitchen.

• wags848
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hydragea - Thank you for the compliment! It's amazing how different our kitchen looks with simply getting a new island top. The different edge profile is a huge improvement over the rolled edge on the Formica, too.