Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelleg69

Help choosing fun cabinet colors...

kelleg69
15 years ago

Nearly all the cabinets in my house will be white (I LOVE white cabinets). I have the option of painting any of the cabinets any color I want. I am thinking about doing my laundry room cabinets in a "fun" color. I am a person who loves bright colors. The foyer in my current house is bright green, the family room is yellow, dining room red, etc (sounds ugly, but I like it). Anyway, how do I choose a color for cabinets? Should I use a more toned down version of a color I like? I am thinking about a light blue--not baby blue, but one of the Restoration Hardware type of blues. I have a few pictures of blue cabinets I like, but don't know how to choose one from paint swatches. This laundry room will be upstairs off of the hall and off my master closet. It doesn't really have to "go" with anything. Finally, do you think it is weird to have blue cabinets and big white washer/dryers? Anyone with colored cabinets out there that will share? I have seen a few of the mudrooms that were done in blue...

Comments (24)

• worldmom
    15 years ago

If it were me, I'd find some sort of inspiration piece and take your color cues from that piece. Is there something you're planning to incorporate into your laundry room that could lead you in a certain color direction?

Before we decided to relocate our laundry room to the other side of our kitchen, I was going to use one of these Schoolhouse Electric fixtures and do some funky paint color/s to coordinate. (We'll now walk through our laundry area as the side entry to our kitchen, so I had to tone it down so the two rooms won't compete with each other).

If you're thinking you like an RH-style blue, I can't say enough how much I *adore* the blue-grey paint we just put in our new powder room. It's BM Feather Grey.

There was a finished kitchen that was posted here a few months ago that was totally fabulous and might give you some color ideas. I'll see if I can find it. It was a vintage-y style with beadboard, but the cabinets were lime green and a nice Caribbean blue. It was very different, but SO amazing!

Good luck with your plans!

• danielle00
    15 years ago

I love blue-- what about BM Palladian Blue (http://www.myperfectcolor.com/Benjamin-Moore-HC-144-Palladian-Blue-p/mpc0006962.htm)

My son's room is BM Northern Air-- a really decisive blue, but it is not baby blue at all-- more of a wedgewood blue. We love it-- it looks fabulous with the white trim in there.
    http://www.myperfectcolor.com/Benjamin-Moore-1676-Northern-Air-p/mpc0006093.htm

We are getting a milk paint color called slate on our island-- it is a pretty blue/grey color (not light, though.. medium-tone).

Also, I don't know how you feel about orange, but I recently saw an orange kitchen on a design blog and it was surprisingly cheerful... we had an orange livingroom in our previous home and really enjoyed it.. I think it is an under-used color (maybe there's a reason for that, though ;o)

• erikanh
    15 years ago

My kitchen is white like yours. I decided to incorporate my love of blue into my dining room hutch. I chose slate blue milk paint. I'm not as daring with color as you are, so this was a big risk for me. I think for a laundry room you can afford to be as daring and whimsical as you want to be. There was someone on the forum who did her walk in pantry in pink. Sounds weird but it looked awesome!

Erika

• Melissa Houser
    15 years ago

I used Tiffany Box Blue on my laundry room walls. The cabinets and washer/dryer are white. I figured it's easier to paint the walls if I want a color change than to repaint the cabinets.

• anne999
    15 years ago

Painting the cabinets in the laundry rooms sounds like a great idea. As far as color, my only suggestion is that you keep the color in the same mood as the rest of the rooms in the house; it will help it "belong" to the rest of the house, regardless of how dramatic you decide to go. If the other colors are bright and happy, then choose happy colors for the cabinets. If the colors are more muted, then choose muted ones (I consider the Restoration Hardware colors muted). Beyond that, don't be afraid to do whatever you want!

• megradek
    15 years ago

I had fun with a lot of the cabinetry colors too. In the mudroom I did BM Waters Edge (at first I thought it was too 'blue' but now I love it!), laundry room is Olive, guest bath is BM coventry gray

have fun with it, but I agree with everyone to make it belong to the rest of the house.

mudroom

laundry room

• rosie
    15 years ago

I got surprised by loving a room done in pale yellow and pale chartreuse with fuschia. My guess is yours would be the only laundry room of its kind.

• live_wire_oak
    15 years ago

If you want a "fun" color, then you don't want a muted grayed out color. You want COLOR! So, what about red? You could even get the red LG front load laundry pair to match if you wanted to. Red is also a classic color that will never go out of style. It may fade a bit from the scene, but it will never exit it. Blue is also a classic. A bright royal/cobalt intense blue could read modern, or French country, or new agey or plenty of other things. The point is, it will always be around. If the color fits the rest of your house, then it will look "right". If you choose a very greyed out subdued color, it will look like it's in the wrong family's house with all of the other vibrant colors around.

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

Well, I know this kitchen isn't for everyone, but I recently painted my white kitchen cabinets French Provincial blue and yellow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow cabinets with blue island

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

I think making the laundry room a nicer place to be is a great idea!

Just wanted to post this picture of a fun laundry room. It is from Thibaut's website and is of their fun laundry related wallpaper. another idea if you decide to keep the cabinets white. Comes in five different colorways.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thibaut wallpaper

• amysrq
    15 years ago

My old laundry room/pantry was blue and orange, one of my favorite combos! Here's the orange wall, which you could only see from inside the room.

This is the blue wall, which could be seen from the living area (though the shelves could not....thankfully).

The colors were C2 Radiate and Ersatz. The inspiration colors were Farrow & Ball Orangery and Parma Gray...I wanted to try C2 paint since I had never used it before. I had pale blue cabs in my kitchen too, btw, so I think it is a great idea!

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    15 years ago

GREAT responses. Thanks to all of you. Mairin, yours was one of the mudrooms I alluded to. I like it. I agree, my color needs to "go" with the other colors in the house. I am a clear color person. RH isn't my normal go to paint place. I just meant that I don't want the cabs to be baby blue--more of a now blue!

As for the wallpaper--I almost put that in my current laundry room. I love it. A friend has it.

I will have my cabinets painted by my cabinet maker, so this isn't as easy as it seems. They aren't in! Plus, he needs about 2 weeks lead time to get the paint made into a catalyzed lacquer. Also, there isn't much wall space in there--mainly cabinets. It has a window, but it is small and high and I probably won't do a window treatment. So, my biggest chance for color is the cabinets!

Red is a great idea, but I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with that color. I do have orange valances in one room in this house. It is a good color too, but I will probably go with green, yellow or blue.

Reno Fan, I just saw your pix on another thread--I love your kitchen. Love blue and yellow--great with your tile too.

Anyway, I will look up the color suggestions. If anyone has any more, feel free to pass them on. I like the idea of going beyond what is "tasteful." That is what I have done here and I think it looks ok--at least to me it does!

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    15 years ago

There are some neat colors in this picture.

• astridh
    15 years ago

Will you have any countertops in your laundry room? You might need to choose that before you choose the paint color.

• megradek
    15 years ago

I LOVE that green cabinet/hutch! that would be gorgeous in a laundry room.

I know what you mean about the pressure to pick the colors. I was biting my nails for weeks...um, months...picking, then submitting them to cabinet maker, then waiting for them to be installed. UGH! I think I've learned to trust my gut and color sense and go for it. Particularly when it's in a room that is really just for you and your family (hee hee, if you can get anyone else to do laundry!).

I found these knobs for my laundry and can't wait to add more 'fun' to the room!

Here is a link that might be useful: laundry pull

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My countertop will be laminate, so I can pretty much do what I want with that. Though, if anyone has suggestions on that too, I would love them!

Mairin, love the pull. Thanks for sharing. I may have to throw in a few.

• friedajune
    15 years ago

I think my favorite "colored-cabinets kitchen" of all time is Redrange's. Not to mention her to-die-for Ruby Red range and matching hood. Also, the pot racks that are unusual and beautiful. And two sinks, one of soapstone and one of copper (natch!). Oh, and her tile backsplash. Ahem, she handpainted and glazed each tile herself. I am so inadequate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Redrange's Kitchen in the Finished Kitchen Blog

• auchmedden
    15 years ago

I also love that light green hutch color! It is fun, bright, refreshing and yet not overwhelming. I think it would look great in a laundry room.

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the link to Redrange's kitchen. I had never seen that one. She is gutsy--it paid off--looks great! I like the blue hutch. I have another pic of one in this color that is pretty neat.

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Has anyone seen Somerset Bay furniture? These are some of the colors I like. The website is www.somersetbayhome.com. I also like Maine Cottage colors, but they are a bit brighter.

• judydel
    15 years ago

Oh my !!!
    Love that huge double sink in MamaDadaPaige's photo. I'm going to call the wallpaper people and see if they know who makes that seriously big sink. I've been looking for one like it for months. Closest I've come is from the UK.

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

A friend of mine did hers in chartreuse and red, a lively combo (with or without the complementary dog-hind-end hooks):

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cute hooks! Wonder where she got them. I notice her cabinets are white. She added color in the valance, hooks and wall color. Fun combination.