Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prestonbeary

What color to paint my kitchen walls? (PICS)

prestonbeary
15 years ago

Please help me decided what color to paint my kitchen walls.

My cabinets are existing oak which we are keeping, I painted them Behr "Gobi Desert" with an Umber Glaze.

The countertops will be granite - I'm thinking a light whiteish color.

The backsplash is white subway tile in my mind but I'm open to suggestions. Oh, and the walls look funky because we had bulkheads removed and the "former" formica backsplash was glued to the walls.

We still need to purchase new SS range & hood.

The micro (sitting on counter) goes in the open cabinet next to refrig.

The last pic shows the dining room which is open to the kitchen and will be painted the same color.

We also plan to add a small 24x60 island (open table design) in kitchen and I'm thinking a blue/slate color for the island?

I look forward to any feedback!!

Comments (9)

• gardenburgher
    15 years ago

Hi Prestonbeary  DH and I own a few apartments and we always use Behr when we repaint. All of the bedrooms are done with Raffia Cream on the walls and Gobi Desert on the trim, so I know Gobi Desert well. :-)

Have you tried the Behr website? They have a pretty cool tool called "ColorSmart" that can help you coordinate colors. You can upload your own photo or use their sample rooms to play around.

When I plugged in Gobi Desert, it came up with some nice combinations.

HTH!

• debsan
    15 years ago

I love the idea of picking up the blue of your polish pottery collection with your island color. Your cabinets look good, but I think you might look for something with a little bit of contrast on the walls.

• fran1523
    15 years ago

I like the idea of blue as well...something with a little oomph to provide contrast with the cabinets and light granite.

• mamabirrd
    15 years ago

A blue shade does sound nice.

Your pottery collection is awesome and I LOVE your dining table and chairs. So pretty!

• steff_1
    15 years ago

The cabinets look great. Thanks for posting this photo as we are considering painting existing oak cabinets. The blue island will add a lot.

It looks like going with a deeper neutral will make the cabinets pop. Do you have a granite you are considering? It would be easier to narrow the paint selection down if you are working with the granite sample.

• prestonbeary
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm not usually so indecisive on picking out paint but I'm really wanting things to look good.

I was thinking a neutral that's a bit darker than the cabinets - we will have crown on the cabinets as well as crown around the room painted Behr Ultra Pure White.

I really appreciate all the comments!

Here are a couple more pics - I went paint sample crazy today. Anyone see a color that just stands out? My first choice was the top sample on the first pic but then I second guessed myself b/c I was thinking it looked greenish and I really don't want green. The name is Behr Harvest Brown.

I haven't even been to the granite store yet as we are improving as we can afford and the granite may be a ways off.

• steff_1
    15 years ago

The top one looks too close to the cabinets. The third one, dark brown does a better job of making the cabinets stand out, but may be too dark and looks very olive green from here. Maybe darker on the cabinet walls and lighter elsewhere would work.

• lascatx
    15 years ago

With the light cabinets and light counters and splash, I would put color on the walls, and I would do something at least a midtone into the deeper tones. You will have enough light and neutral that you can afford to go bolder if you wnat to. A midtone will still look fairly soft with those other choices.

I was thinking green or blue, but you could even go into the reds. If you like blue too, that would be my first choice. Of the tabs you have there in the first photo, I'd say second from the top, fourth one down maybe or next to last one (for green), but you might want to play with some other blue tones. I'm not loving any of the ones actually painted on the wall, but of those, the khaki is the closest.

• prestonbeary
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay I chose "harvest brown" for the walls. It looks good so far, I'll post pics when the kitchen is more completed.

Thanks for all the replies!