Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deedles_gw

Which approach do you like best? 3 pics of window/trim

deedles
10 years ago

Another ball in the air...

Going to have a full height backsplash in the solid surface counter material.

Also have a window area to deal with.

Which of these treatments do you like best:

Stopping the material at the edge of the untrimmed window?

Wrapping the edge of the untrimmed window?

or

Trimming the window and butting the BS up to the window casing?

My issue with the window is that DH didn't make sure it was centered and if we install wood jambs as is usual, one side the jamb would be proud of the window frame around the sash. So, I thought to heck with it, leave it untrimmed and so now it's just painted up to the window frame. But, how to end the full height backsplash? Counter guy thought to end it like the first pic and not wrap the jamb.

Wrapping the jamb with 1/2" solid surface, that would also be proud of the window frame on one side... we only have 1/4" of frame showing. (partly my fault as once upon a time I was planning on tiling the jamb area and DH thought 1/4" would be fine. Still don't get the logic of having an uncentered window but we really don't want to rip out the walls and redo at this point...)

The windowsill will be made of the countertop material AND the wall color and counter are very, very close. Wall color is Creamy by SW and the counter is (final decision, oy) Wilsonart Antique White solid surface.

I thought I could also just put wood trim around the opening and not put wood jambs in and paint the trim the same color as the wall/jamb area, which kind of appeals to me...?

Thoughts/advice?

Comments (16)

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

All I can say of the pictures above, is the white one in the middle appeals to my eye.

The countertop my friend built me is the Wilsonart 'Olivine.' Absolutely love the colors!

You're down to the fine details, aren't you?

• lyfia
    10 years ago

I would put wood trim surrounding the sides like the pic with the white cabinets in your pictures.

If the window is not centered in the opening this will allow you to shim the trim in the "jamb" on the side that is off and cover it up with side trim to make it look all centered, when finished.

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

Another white kitchen vote here, I like the window as its own element, not intermixed with the others...

This post was edited by ctycdm on Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 23:28

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, I have to agree. The other two pics strike me as somewhat 'clumsy' or maybe just unfinished. Maybe I can get the cab guy to plane down some jambs so the one doesn't sit proud of the window frame.

Yes, I am getting down to the eensy, squeely details. Makes me nervous!

This post was edited by deedles on Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 0:46

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

Trimming a window jamb to flush with the drywall isn't that big a problem.

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, maybe not. I'll have to talk to DH and see what he thinks about the whole thing again.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Other than the color, I can't see how #2 is different from #1. Definitely no to #3.

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Which one are you calling #3, linelle? The wrap with the garden window?

If so, #2 is the white one which has wood trim around the window and #1 has no trim at all.

• YuliaO
    10 years ago

i like #1
    going to last longer and looks good with the kitchen

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

But the window sill is the same material as your counter, right? So, the way I understand it is that the white kitchen is a very different scenario.
    Not sure I understand, but do these pics help:

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, the windowsill will be the counter material.

Trying to explain the problem using thIS pic from your post.

There is only 1/4" of window frame showing past the plaster on the left side. Wood jambs are typically 1/2" thick, so the jamb would be sticking over the frame and in front of the window sash 1/4" on the left side. I think that would look idiotic. The other side has 1/2" of frame so the jamb would be flush with the frame on that side which doesn't sound a whole lot better, as a little frame reveal looks nicer, IMO.

We'd have to tear out the drywall on both sides of the window opening (and probably should as the other options are starting to feel really cobbled up right now) to be able to trim the window in wood or anything else and not have this problem.

So, I was just going to leave it a painted hole with a window in it and call it done. But that bugged me, so I thought maybe I could turn the corner with the backsplash into the window area but that's not really grabbing me either and that stuff is 1/2" thick, too.

I've seen so many pics of windows without trim that looked great, but for some reason mine doesn't seem to have the same effect. Guess I'm trying to find a way to not tear out the plastered in stuff around that window and still have it look good. Maybe there is no way. Blah.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Do you really notice the 1/4" difference? Or perhaps more accurately: Will anybody apart from you notice the 1/4" difference?

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll notice it. I just don't want some off-kilter 'cause my eye is always drawn to it. Just weird like that, I guess.

Okay, so here is my actual window with some crude paint program 'cabinets' and the backsplash. Added a sill in yellow for the sake of.. uh, being able to see it. :)

Will this look goofy without trim around the window?

I think part of it is because of the low roof line, we had to keep the windows shorter than I wanted to on this side of the house and this kitchen window seems really squatty.

Could really use some eyes to clearly see the 'form' of this area and what it needs to look best. Not trusting my own right now.

• Majra
    10 years ago

Have you considered wrapping the window in wall tile and taking it to the ceiling, like this?

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I still don't get it. Isn't there always going to be a difference in space between your cabinets and the window, whether or not you frame it? Could you move the right cabinet over and play around with the color of the window frame, so that when you look straight at it, it doesn't look off kilter?
    Or could you run the backsplash material into the jamb after the sill is put in and make it a 1/4" thicker on the right side?

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nsm: there isn't a difference on the wall, it is the window frame because the window wasn't set evenly into the rough opening.
    Sorry, I guess I'm not explaining this clearly.