Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
warmfridge

Scratches in Silgranit?

warmfridge
14 years ago

I got a sample piece of anthracite Silgranit from Blanco. The anthracite-colored coating is very thin, Has anyone had a problem with scratches in the Silgranit exposing the light gray part? Does anyone know if Kindred or other granite sinks have solid color all the way through?

Comments (22)

• User
    14 years ago

Nope. None.

• alicia58801
    14 years ago

Me neither. No scratches so far.

• neesie
    14 years ago

When I bought my silgranit in Bisque I was told that the color went all the way through. Almost two years now, no problems whatsoever.

• warmfridge
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The anthracite color clearly doesn't go all the way through. It's a very thin coat, which I've discovered is easily scratched with a knife. Back to the drawing board.

• loves2cook4six
    14 years ago

Maybe that's just the sample unless they sent you a piece from a broken sink.

My two anthracite sinks still look like new after three years and I checked with my neighbour and hers does too.

The underside of the sink is as black as the inside only not polished IYKWIM. It definitely looks like the color goes all the way through.

And there is no way that I can believe that my sinks would NOT be scratched through to an undercoat with the way we use them.

• hokie80
    14 years ago

I thought I had a scratch on my Bisque silgranit, and it came right off with Bar Keepers Friend. I love it- I understand they're pretty scratch proof and I'm finding that to be true as much as I abuse it when I'm washing pans, etc. I agree- it might be the sample piece.

• tamdave123
    14 years ago

I've had my black sink for a couple of years and it looks as perfect as the day I got it.

• User
    14 years ago

It's not a coating. That's the difference between the polished surface and the unpolished cut surface of the material. Just like granite itself, the polished surface almost always appears darker than an unpolished cut edge.

• loves2cook4six
    14 years ago

I see what you're showing but honestly my sink does not scratch. In the interest of science, I just took a fork and tried to scratch it under the front rim (I have a negative reveal) and there isn't so much as a mark to be seen.

Again my sink is about three years old so it's possible manufacturing methods have changed, but I doubt it.

• sweeby
    14 years ago

I think what you may be seeing is a surface treatment or polish. Believe me -- If those sinks were prone to scratching, with as many people here who have them -- you'd KNOW it!

I've had mine installed for more than five years now and have dropped heavy chef's knives point down more than once (NOT on purpose of course). NO signs of damage of any kind.

The one caveat I've heard is NOT to let your tile guys or painters wash their tools in the sink because grout haze and light paint gets into the tiny surface pores.

• warmfridge
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I will call Blanco CS on Monday and see what they say.

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

Your sample looks just like mine except I got Cafe. It actually came with what looks like a scratch, and when I read your post I tried to scratch it with a knife as well. The scratches I made are less pronounced than the one that was already there; I can't see them very well when I look closely. I don't think it changes my mind with all the positive reviews on here (better than my cast iron sink which is terribly marred and difficult to clean), but I'd still be interested to know what CS says. Please report back when you find out, if you don't mind!

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

Hey, warmfridge! Got snow? More on the way here ;-] I hope I don't crack another tooth from smiling. I started tearing things apart yesterday. All I want now is for the dumpster to show up. It was supposed to be here Tuesday, then today at noon. Ha! Men.

• warmfridge
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jsweenc, I'll let you know what I find out.

Pinch, you started demo without a dumpster??? You crazy woman!

• warmfridge
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I called Blanco. Their rep told me that although the samples have the color only on the surface, that in the actual sinks, the granite is the same, solid color all the way through. Hence, no exposed gray due to scratches. Yippee!

• arleneb
    14 years ago

That's what I would have guessed . . . my anthracite silgranite has only been in use since June, but it has no scratches at all. It cleans up perfectly with a squirt of Dawn on a cloth. LOVE it!!! And everyone who has seen my kitchen (at least the non-TKO) has said, "Oh, what is that??" when they see the sink!

• studio460
    10 years ago

Yes! We have two deep scratches! Silgranit DOES scratch.

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    10 years ago

I've had a Blanco Silgranit Super Single sink for four years, and my family has not been gentle with it. There are no scratches. Looks like the day it was installed. I plan to put another Silgranit sink in my new kitchen.

Studio460 - I have to ask, are you certain your sink is Blanco Silgranit? Could it be another brand's granite composite sink?

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

I've had mine (metallic gray) for 8 years. No scratches. One miniscule chip where an 8" chefs knife landed point first. Studio460- how did you manage to scratch it? Got pics?

-Babka

• Kelly Kay
    3 years ago

@Mrs_Nyefnyef @Babka NorCal 9b Just curious how the siligranite has held up the additional 7 years? Is there any maintenance you have to do on the sink? I have an old white ceramic sink which I HATE because it stains and scratches so easily, and was going to go stainless, but I've read such positive reviews on here and I do hate how stainless can look spotty.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    3 years ago

Still looks good after 16 years! I use the s/s sink grids from Blanco to keep things off the bottom. Hard water has dulled the bottom, and I use Clorox or Bar Keepers Friend every six months or so to get any coffee stains. IF the Queen visits I will rub the surface with a little oil and it will look like NEW!

-Babka