Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolinesays

Vulcan granite composite - made by Schock?

carolinesays
11 years ago

I'm getting soapstone countertops in 2 weeks - yay! and a new sink. We were considering a stainless steel undermount sink, but are now leaning heavily toward granite composite after reading good things about the Blanco Silgranit sinks here. When we asked our fabricator to price one, he said he wasn't an authorized retailer for Blanco, but he could order a Vulcan granite composite sink, which he said are nearly identical. I have no reason to doubt this guy, but the only place I can find any information about Vulcan sinks are on the wholesaler website he orders the sink from. The wholesaler implies Schock makes them, but doesn't come right out and say exactly that. Has anyone ever heard anything, good or bad, about Vulcan granite composite sinks? Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Vulcan sinks page on Chemcore wholesale site

Comments (3)

• friedajune
    11 years ago

If I were you, I would just buy a Blanco Silgranit sink online, rather than have the uncertainty of a granite composite sink that you can't find information on. Remember, it will be undermounted, so pretty permanent. I wouldn't want to take a risk on an unknown name. Even if your fabricator carried the Blanco's, he'd charge you an upcharge for it, perhaps a significant one, than if you bought it yourself. Is there a specific reason you wish to choose another granite composite sink instead of a Blanco?

A favorite GW website for Blanco Silgranit is qualitybath, because they pack the sinks very carefully, and give great customer service. Someone just posted on another thread that they bought a Silgranit sink at homeperfect for a great price, and it arrived very quickly, and was packed well.

Have you decided the size of your sink? The Blancodiamond Super Single with offset drain is very popular.

This post was edited by akchicago on Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 8:36

• carolinesays
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'd prefer to go with a local vendor for the warranty, to support a local business, and for the installation. There's only a handful of authorized retailers in town for Blanco and I'll be visiting those tomorrow. I normally wouldn't take the risk on an unknown name except that this fabricator is top-notch, Dorado-recommended, A rated on BBB and has done several commercial soapstone installs in the city. He says Vulcan is a private label that his vendor carries as a lower cost option to the Blanco brand. He's never had any issues with the sinks after install, and he personally has one in his home. He feels Vulcan is comparable to Blanco and that the big box knockoffs are not in the same quality range, in his experience.

The countertop is the only thing we're not doing ourselves. I do have a propensity to get rather obsessive about the small stuff. As we go along I am learning that sometimes a DIYer just has to let go and trust a professional. Having said that, a granite composite sink is not a small investment (particularly in a $5000 remodel).

We are replacing a drop-in 30 x 16 white porcelain over cast iron equal double sink. I was leaning toward single basin but my husband prefers double, neither of us likes the 70/30 or 60/40 styles. We were considering a low divide as a compromise (like the Performa) until last night, when I soaked our hot tub filter cartridges in the sink and realized I couldn't cover them completely with water with a low-divide double. :) So we're going with an equal double.

If I can't reconcile my Vulcan brand questions and can't find a reasonable local price on a granite composite, we'll likely go with our original choice of stainless.

• carolinesays
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also, Blanco sinks purchased from homeperfect and qualitybath are not warrantied. Blanco only warranties sinks purchased from their authorized online retailers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blanco Authorized Internet Retailers