Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dawn_t

Kinda luvin' my wood counter tonite (and btw thanks GardenWeb!)..

dawn_t
10 years ago

I'm on my 3rd glass of vino, feeling pensive here, reflecting, and this may be long - sorry!

I don't have time to post much, but I do try to stop by, for a little bit everyday, after my work shift...

We decided to build 6yrs ago, late in life, and WOW what a ride! Found GardenWeb during a search for granite tile counters and I never left, lol.

I'm a champagne gal on a beer budget *disclaimer*: I hate both champagne and beer, but love wine lol!

At the start I wanted granite SO badly, but it was never in DH's budget. The house was destined to be a DIY (me; Dh is all thumbs) build, and I was determined to find a way to have my granite. I found beautiful examples of DIY granite tile counter tops, and went so far as to buy the stone sanding discs kit & faucet hole cut out tools (I luv eBay!). I already had the variable speed angle grinder. Also bought some absolute black granite tiles at Home Depot....

After 2 weeks of having the tiles lay on top of my temporary plywood counters, I realized that this beautiful, shiny, black indulgence was never going to work in this country/farm animal ridden home (cat prints/horse/dog/hell even deer hair!) :(

Then I found IKEA Numerar oak here :)
I think that, until this evening, I always thought of it as the " second choice", and it probably was. But after dropping my umpteenth glass (wine) on it and having none break, I'm really starting to appreciate it's qualities. That, along with it's natural warmth (it's -30 again here on the CDN prairies), is just making me feel cozy :) The dark golden glow doesn't hurt either...

You are probably all now wishing that you never opened this message, but I thought I would share ;) ...

Now, if anyone has any ideas how to get my keester back on track to finish this sad, DIY, long overdue, build, I'm all ears :)

Cheers!
Dawn

Comments (26)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

Maybe we should have a little wine glass icon that we can click on so readers will know our status when we post. It would have to be uneditable though.

Wood counter luv. It's all good.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Pics or it never happened :-p

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

I git'cha. :)
    It's so nice to appreciate something we didn't necessarily know would be so great.

Plus, the wine is always delicious.
    got my own cup here. :)

• dawn_t
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bahahaha, williamsem - I thought about that later!
    One of the few pics I have...
    (I'm presently on the barstool with the wrinkles ;)

• scootermom
    10 years ago

Looks great. I love that deep golden glow! Perfect place to enjoy that glass of vino.

• dawn_t
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Agreed, CEFreeman!
    Cheers! ;)

• magsnj
    10 years ago

Wow!! Anyone would love to sit on one of those stools, with that lighting and enjoy a glass of wine on those countertops. The entire setting is so warm and inviting. Slainte!

• motherof3sons
    10 years ago

The counters are fabulous! Wood was my first choice all the way. DH is the one that would not go for all wood. Now that we have the island in wood, he realized how great the rest would have been. His loss. :-(

Enjoy your beautiful countertops! Green with envy here.

• deedles
    10 years ago

Beautiful counters and your kitchen looks pretty done to me! I really wanted wood counters but couldn't get it past my committee either (DH). Enjoy your wine! Right now a little jealous of both your counters and the sipping of wine....

(CEF: why am I picturing your wine glass with a swizzle stick full of little olive-sized cookie dough balls?)

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Trebuchet - uneditable, too funny!

dawn_t - The wood countertops are perfect, loved seeing your kitchen. Warm and inviting sums it up!

• amykath
    10 years ago

I love the wood. It has that warm feeling and says "come on over and curl up with me and a glass of wine" ;)

How did you treat the wood? Did you stain it and what sealer did you use?

Seriously, very nice work!!

• Carrie B
    10 years ago

Lovely kitchen!

• Linda
    10 years ago

Just gorgeous!!! And if you did this DIY, you're entitled to many bottles of wine! I never thought about the non-breakable qualities of wood. I am also doing partial DIY, am indulging in many glasses of wine throughout the process. I did get granite, but invested in "break-resistant" wine glasses instead!

Here is a link that might be useful: shatter resistant wine glasses

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

Cheers to the granite not working out 'cause the wood top looks splendid!!! At -30 you need all the warmth you can get even if it's an illusion. The kitchen looks great. What's left to do?

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

Dawn, I can't even imagine granite in your warm wonderful kitchen. KInd of funny because wood was my first choice, but i couldn't source a reliable wood top here (this was about 8 years before ikea arrived) and had to settle for granite. A few years ago, I made our island (must be something with us prairie girls and tools) and found a carpenter to made the wooden top for it. I love sitting there in the morning drinking by tea - esp. when it is -30 as it is this morning. Enjoy your beautiful kitchen and I'm sure the gods will make sure we have a hot and mosquito free summer after surviving this winter of snow and cold.

• springroz
    10 years ago

Beautiful!! Wood was my second choice for the perimeter, also. I am very impressed that you DIY...the kitchen is PERFECT!!

Nancy

• andreak100
    10 years ago

What a lovely, inviting kitchen. Sometimes, we get lucky, and we get saved from ourselves...your countertop is one of those things...it works exceptionally well in your kitchen.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

I love it! I can't imagine anything else there, so you must have really embraced it when designing and not realized that if you just now have come to love it. Looking outward to the official reveal!

• dawn_t
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seriously, you folks are the best!
    Thanks so much for listening and for all of the wonderful comments. It's -29ish this morning, but my heart is warmed...

Stuff left to do: toe kicks, backsplash, cabinet crown, filler pieces, over fridge cab needs to be built and put up. Range hood vent hole through kitchen wall needs to be cut (waiting until DH goes away for a day, to do it - he's having a fit about me cutting it out. I should have done it when he was in the hospital)

trebruchet: lol re: uneditable
    aktillery, I used Minwax stain (blend of Special Walnut & Provincial) and sealed with Waterlox. It didn't darken as much as I had hoped...
    Daisychain, I'll never complain about mosquitoes again - what a winter!
    Thanks for wine glass link Legalin :)

Really hope I didn't sound trivial or plaintive last evening, I was just, shall we say, reminiscing, lol... I'm very grateful for a roof, 4 walls and a furnace!
    Guess, I'm just a little worn out - it's just been a long, cold winter with DH slowly recovering from being seriously ill in the fall (dang deer tick bite).

Thanks again everyone!
    Dawn (who works the 0700hrs shift tomorrow - so no wine for her tonite!)

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

dawn, when we first got our wood top for our island, i couldn't find waterlox anywhere here. I think I was told it was something to do with environmental restrictions. I used old master's instead and while it looked nice at first, it didn't last. I'd like to redo it this summer with waterlox. Can you tell me where you got it? I'm hoping that since we are both on the CDN prairies (and it is also -29 here), your source is close to me. I appreciate any info you have. Thanks!

• dgormish
    10 years ago

It's beautiful! I am getting granite but this makes me jealous!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Nice, nice, nice! And I agree with whomever said you should be so glad that your first choice (the granite tiles) didn't work out.

• mudhouse_gw
    10 years ago

So pretty, warm, and inviting! I always enjoy when folks share "u-turn" decisions made during the design process.

Love the wood countertops. Interesting that several posts mentioned spouses haven't jumped on the idea for all wood, as we've had the same conversation here, at times. (I may use your photo as ammo.)

I agree with everyone else, it looks just perfect there, and I like the color you ended up with (thanks for mentioning the stains you used.)

Hope DH feels better soon.

• dawn_t
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks mudhouse!

Daisychain, I tried to source it locally, but no luck. Was really hoping there was a retailer in Winnipeg, as it's only 2 hrs away. I ended up mail ordering from a company in Ontario.
    No longer have the receipt, but I'm pretty sure it was this company. Service was great. (I see they're also now listed as a Cdn retailer on the Waterlox website):

Exotic Woods
    5229 Harvester Road
    Burlington ON, L7L 5L4
    (905) 335-8066
    info@exotic-woods.com
    www.exotic-woods.com

It's classified as a hazardous material, so shipping was high (around $50 - 6yrs ago). I bought the gallon size thinking I'd need it to do 5 coats on all sides of a 8ft x 2ft counter as well as the peninsula (39" x 70").I only used about 1/3 of the tin, so maybe I didn't apply it thick enough? I do recommend 6+ coats tho'
    And a respirator!!!

HTH :)

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Oh my gosh Dawn, your original post made me hoot when you talked about all the different animal hairs. I so wanted to see a pic of it and then I scrolled down to see it in all it's glory. It is beautiful! No way does that look like a DIY with an all thumbs DH. I could spend hours there with numerous hot cups of coffee. I love everything about it and your wood counters are to die for beautiful. Best wishes to many happy hours in your beautiful kitchen.

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

Thanks so much dawn. That's helpful to know. I'll definitely do it in the summer when I can have all windows open. 6 coats, eh? I may have to send the kids to camp to get that many done without fingerprints :-)

Wish I could help to get you motivated to finish your projects, but I am barely moving myself in this cold. Suppose to "warm up" to -19 tomorrow. As long as it is warm enough for my students to go outside for recess, I'm happy.