Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kodak1_gw

Review of Hanssem Cabinets

kodak1
14 years ago

Has anyone used Hanssem cabinets? How is their quality? How does their price compare to other cabinet brands?

Comments (62)

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I appreciate this thread since I am either going with the Shiloh Inset Cabinets IF my kitchen cabinets can be adjusted in my small kitchen to accommodate my deeper appliances otherwise I was thinking of Hanseem as one designer has a nice door style and white color I like for the frameless full overlay door style. He has not gotten back to me on the cheap lazy susan that comes with the cabinet versus the Shiloh dealer will give me an upgraded Super Susan.

Anyone else with recent experience. I appreciate Vickydoner for sharing since this bothers me that the quality was not that great after all. I appreciate Shakham for sharing in detail her experiences. I appreciate Melinrk for sharing. Thank you everyone in advance who sees this post and shares.

• detroit_burb
    10 years ago

someone above commented:
    "but I think you could get similar cabinets, cheaper from IKEA."

I think IKEA would outperform this brand based on the comments above. I have done three IKEA kitchens. No glaze runoff issues. No peeling melamine issues, even after 7 years on one kitchen, no hardware performance issues - it is all Blum.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I appreciate all the posts regarding the Hanseem Cabinets since now despite liking the door, I do not want them.

• TheKitchenGallery
    10 years ago

I've sold Hanssem cabinets for the past four years and can tell you that they are a reasonably priced good quality cabinet . . . I have not had any issues with glaze "run off" and find their finish to be excellent. The finish on any cabinet can be wore off around the cabinetry that is most used . . . such as the sink base cabinet and wastebasket pull out .. . (around the handles or knobs). . . .make sure the handle you choose has enough clearance for your hand to grab it without rubbing on the door. . .Also, the doors and drawers are soft close not self close . . you have to push them to close (they are meant not to slam) . . Lastly, they are a Korean owned company but the material they use to fabricate the cabinets are made in America . . . Keep in mind what you are buying is not "top of the line". There are better cabinets with a higher price point . . . but Hanssem is a reasonably priced good quality cabinet . . . .

• 818grove
    9 years ago

I too am looking at Hansemm, but we are very nervous. I appreciate "KitchenGallery";'s opinion, but is this because you sell them? I have looked at Ultracraft, Medallion, Thomasville, Wolf, all with prices near $20k for my kitchen and Hansemm is only $11k ... is this because they are cheap and won't last? or they are a good (not awesome product) just not as overpriced as the others?

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

Myself, I would hesitate buying cabinetry that is fabricated overseas, just my opinion. They might be just fine, but as they say "you get what you pay for".

If you plan to be in your house for many years You might want to consider another brand, however if you only plan on a few years they might be what you are looking for pricewise.

• 818grove
    9 years ago

Yes the parent company is a Korean company but from all accounts I have read, the cabinets are made with materials from North America and Europe and made in Edison/South Plainfield, New Jersey ... not asia? I find it hard to believe they would state it so blatantly on their website if it were not true??

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Hoping someone recently used these cabinets with pictures and can tell us more how they like them.

• gpoll123
    9 years ago

I just installed Hanssem cabinets this past week. The box quality is of reasonable quality considering price point. The finish quality however is the worst I have ever personally seen. I received my product with more than 70 percent of the doors and draws with obvious finish defects, the company did send replacements within a few weeks, but these came in just as bad or even worse, which indicates that this is their typical production quality. The issues include deep scratches that were painted over, actual dust and fingerprints that were clear coated over so they are permanent, patches that simply were not even stained and bubbling/dripping stain residue. I am not a picky person so please understand that the things I am describing are not a few slight imperfections rather these are painfully obvious flaws (and lots of them) that should never have been packaged up and sent to a customer. I would never buy from this company again and absolutely would not recommend.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

gpoll123, Thank you so much for your honest review. I will be warned and not go with Hanssem Cabinets.

• Barb
    8 years ago

I live in South Florida and am renovating my very small 80SF high-rise condo kitchen. I am not sure how long we plan to keep the condo, but most likely we will sell or hold on to it and do seasonal rental. I have spent the past 2 months going from Home Depot to Lowes to CL Kitchens and hit several (5) small privately owned kitchen showrooms. I just came across one who is providing me with a quote using Hansemm cabinets. Up to this point I had not heard of the company and am so glad to hear the comments above. Some of the companies have lifetime warranties but Hanssem's is only 5 years. I have not yet received a quote yet but after reading the above have definite reservations about Hanssem cabinets even if it is a good price point. Thank you for saving me from making a poor investment.

For those who are unhappy with Hanssem, if you could do it again, which company would you have bought from? I was wondering if any of you could comment on MDF vs. solid wood given that I plan to go with white shaker style cabinets and live on the intracoastal 5 miles from the ocean. I am still trying to determine if I should buy plywood with all wood doors or MDF doors due to the higher humidity. One company sells both but advises me to go with MDF because they insist the wood will definitely expand resulting in paint cracks which won't occur with MDF painted doors. The Martha Stewart line (made by Masterbrand) at Home Depot is MDF door with a Purestyle finish. I really like one particular door style I haven't seen anywhere else and at the time was looking for an antique white finish which they had. The quote was reasonable however the cabinets boxes were not plywood so they have to re-quote it with plywood. I am waiting for quotes from Lowes on Diamond, and several others on Aristocraft and Kemper/ kemper echo all with plywood construction, interiors and doors. I believe all have strong warranties and CL Kitchens says their's is lifetime.

I have been forced to learn much more than I really wanted to about every aspect of renovation during this process so I would really really appreciate comments from anyone who lives close to the ocean and has either MDF or solid wood doors.

thanks

• madidasca
    8 years ago

Very good price and reasonable quality.
    As a designer, I love this brand.

• helaurin93
    8 years ago

I'm hoping for an update on this thread. I'm looking to redo two full bathrooms and a laundry/utility room this year, and probably the kitchen next year. I went to a showroom a contractor recommended, and the showroom recommended the Hanssem cabinetry line. I've never heard of them before today, and am looking for feedback. While I don't want to necessarily for the very best, I do want to ensure it's a decent quality, and that five years from now, I'm not going to be upset that finishes have worn off, faded, etc. Especially since one of the cabinets would be going into a sun-drenched bathroom. Thoughts and advice?

• arialvetica
    8 years ago

Someone just posted this. No clue if it's credible because the post was a little ranty without a lot of information. http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3753820/save-your-money

• sjersey
    8 years ago

I was worried after reading reviews about Hanssem but my designer was very helpful addressing my concerns. The cabinet displays in their showroom spoke for themselves. Reviews are good but the actual product far outweighs someone's bad experience. The quality of the cabinets was excellent, the finish looked great and the price was right in our budget. Our designer showed us some of their past work with Hanssem and had a speak with a few of their previous clients. People tend to write reviews when they are angry; remember to look at the samples too and speak to real people. Our experience with Hanssem was great and I would recommend to those looking for an affordable, quality kitchen.

• victoryismymiddlename
    8 years ago

@sjersey-

While that may be true. No one is coming to vouch for this company with photos or experiences. There are a couple of companies in which if you pay $1000-$2000 more according to some of the older Garden Web/Houzz users (Scherrs, Barker, etc.) you receive better customer service and quality of work.

AND those people are STILL vouching for those companies 5-10 years later so.......

• helaurin93
    8 years ago

I appreciate the comments/feedback. Interesting, when I went back to the same cabinetry store, the first salesperson I had met with wasn't there, and a different one was. She had no clue who I was, and when I started to describe my project, she directed to a NON-Hanssem line instead - Waypoint. So same store, same project, different salespeople pointing to different cabinetry lines. No one as a consumer I'm not sure what to do!

• sushipup1
    8 years ago

And next week, another salesperson will make a different recommendation. Usually that means that a cabinet company is offering the salespeople a bonus at the time.

• todd scea
    8 years ago

hello

• todd scea
    8 years ago

Why is it so hard to find current reviews on cabinets? I've only found one site KCR which is mainly people complaining. Does anybody know where i can find a site that rates cabinets. Im trying to decide between Kraftmaid Standard and Vantage or Wellborn Premier Standard and Plywood what I would like to know is who has the better cabinet construction in both the MFB and plywood and who has the most durable stain finish. Which company has the best warranty and stands behind it. Thanks for all the help.

• sushipup1
    8 years ago

Todd, start a new thread with a good descriptive title and you'll get more response.

• madidasca
    8 years ago

Hanssem makes some minor mistakes overall. Mostly cosmetic.

But they are using good quality materials. Their so called "20% plywood" is non formaldehyde plywood, Purebond product by Columbia Forest Products.

They buy wood doors from local American companies, such as Conestoga and Diaz. High quality wood doors.

Hanssem neglect to marketing these positive facts. They are using good materials and make those look cheap some times. But they fix and response quickly.

There is ups and downs in their qualities. But final kitchen out come is very beautiful.

• marilynjespe
    6 years ago

I have had the cream colored Hanssem cabinets for about 5 years. They have peeled and stained. Stain cannot be removed. It appears they were not sealed well after painting. Some doors were replaced. But I would never recommend these cabinets. They looked pretty but do not hold up at all.

• PRO
    Sensations
    6 years ago
    have hansem for 2 years kitchen not holding up well at all and no customer service after complaining they kitchen dealer has been forthcoming.....
  • mfrost27
    6 years ago

DO NOT BUY! Worst customer experience, they send incorrect cabinets / panels 3X and then would not rush to get us new cabinets. Quality is very poor, the seams of the edges are sloppy, shelves do not fit. Spend more money and look elsewhere, so disappointed.

• PRO
    Affordable Quality Kitchens & Stone
    6 years ago

I suggest looking at Shiloh or Brighton if you want a great cabinet with an excellent finish.

• nanasuesto10
    6 years ago

I'm on my second purchase of Hanssem cabs...my 1st kitchen and bath purchase was done 5+ years ago and I had no complaints then. I did pay for box upgrades but found the finish to be perfect, boxes true and because of that very reason, I again chose them when I built here in Florida. Due to the amount of product the company does produce... all here in our country, there has to be an awful lot of satisfied customers!!!

• dean52173
    5 years ago

Hanssem kitchen is fabulous. Let me try to find a picture of our kitchen. They are the only ones who listened to us in 2007 when we told them we wanted a mostly horizontal look to the kitchen.

• Christine R
    5 years ago

Hello, I was just about to chose Hanssem flat panel, plywood boxes for my kitchen but now i'm really concerned. Any other reviews out there, now that's it 2019? Much appreciated.

• Moty Holczler
    5 years ago

Hanssem has nanny different construction options to choose from, make sure your dealer gives you all the info, and you should upgrade to the 20% ply and to Blum hardware.

• Moty Holczler
    4 years ago

We where recently called back to a customer that we did a Hanssem kitchen over 12 years ago, they added an extension to the house and wanted to add to the kitchen too, they said we are so happy with our kitchen, still looks brand new we just want to add to it!

• Loti Sherry
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Today is December 6, 2019..We had remodeled our kitchen back in 2010 and have not had any problems that have been stated by previous people. Hanssem maple miter cabinets nutmeg with brown glaze and rope crown molding around the top and molding to finish the bottom of the top cabinets..they look brand new. We also have 3 pull outs and all the insides are just perfect..no show of any wear inside or out. We live on the water and get a lot of light and are exposed to salty air. We are very pleased with the kitchen.. we also decided to remodel one of our bathrooms and also had Hanssem cabinets ussd there as well..with all the showers and living on the water there have not been any issues..love these cabinets...I’m going to try attaching pictures of both kitchen and bathroom..good luck to everyone

• Christine Ranford
    4 years ago

Thanks so much for your comment. Appreciate it!

• PRO
    Nagad Cabinets
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Thanks you for speaking up, we have a lot of customers like this!

• Martin Dorf
    3 years ago

Our Hanssem kitchen cabinets are less than 5 years old. We like the styling but quality is lacking. The door came apart on one cabinet. Now the drawers are falling apart on another cabinet.

• PRO
    Nagad Cabinets
    3 years ago

Hi Martin, your cabinets are under 5 year warranty, just contact your dealer and they should take care of any issues.

• PRO
    EWT Ventures
    3 years ago

I used to sell Hanssem but don't any longer. Up until 2 years ago, their quality has always been "meh" but they completely revamped their shop, new manager, new process, new everything and has actually improved their quality quite significantly. I'd sell them again but considering I don't have a showroom (Kitchen designer/ cabinet supplier out of my home), I can't. They require a showroom to be a dealer- one of the few.

It used to be you could get a whole kitchen (lets say around 15 cabinets) in 2 weeks. That tells you that quality wasn't something they focused on. But from what I understand, now it's to the standard 5-6weeks, like most better quality cabinetry.

• helaurin93
    3 years ago

About 4 1/2 years ago, my contractor installed Hanssem in two of our bathrooms. One is holding up well. The other has two drawer fronts with failing finishes. After nearly 3 months of a run-around between the dealer who sold us the cabinetry (and doesn't sell them anymore), and Hanssem saying they don't deal with end users, I'm beyond frustrated. The dealer says he doesn't think Hanssem will replace the drawer fronts, and he feels it's probably water damage. Which I disagree, and other contractors who've seen the drawers also say it's not water damage.

As of this point, it has been so hard to get in touch with anyone regarding this, that I really can't recommend them. I do not feel they are standing behind their product.

• Beth Kovalsky
    2 years ago

Has anyone actually been able to buy touch up paint/stain for these cabinets? Their customer service is HORRIBLE! I’m in NYC and there is no showroom. I called and was given 2 showroom phone numbers that turned out to be dr offices. Not happy

• helaurin93
    2 years ago

Nope. I bought mine, approaching five years ago, now. Last year, while still in the warranty period, I reported an issue with two drawer fronts.

The cabinet store I'd purchased them through refused to assist me at all, because they have stopped selling this manufacturer's products. They wouldn't even give me the claim form to initiate a warranty request.

The manufacturer (Hansemm) refuses to assist me because I have to go through the dealer who sold me the cabinets.... You know, the dealer who isn't selling the product anymore, who won't give me the claim form or the information needed to submit the claim.

In short, I'm completely screwed. My only option, if I want to take it that far, is to attempt to sue them - both the manufacturer and the dealer - in small claims court, or to suck it up as an expensive lesson to avoid both the dealer and the manufacturer at all costs.

In fact, I am looking to do a complete remodel of my kitchen - and am looking at between $20,000 to $25,000 in cabinetry. Neither of those companies will get my business, not after their way of NOT handling my concerns.

Yes, I know... if they had simply replaced two drawer fronts, during their five-year warranty period - probably at a cost of less than $400 to them - I would have been considering them for spending up to $25,000 in kitchen cabinetry.

Frankly, their warranty isn't worth even a single sheet of toilet paper.

While the cabinets are FUNCTIONING well so far - no sticking drawers, nothing disconnecting - the finish on two drawer fronts (out of 12 drawer/door fronts total) has been less than satisfactory.

Therefore, I'd recommend avoiding both HANSEMM and "The Cabinet Factory" of Delaware. (The manufacturer and the dealer in my situation).

• nanasuesto10
    2 years ago

The 'touch up' paint idea just isn't going to work on the finishes applied to today's cabs...regardless of who makes them. If wood look finish I'd suggest a dab of cab stain close to the color as you can always apply more. A paint touch-up is near impossible not to make it stand out like a sore thumb.

As for two drawer fronts vs $25,000 redo of kitchen....why not order two new drawer front and attach to the boxes and walk away with $25k in your pocket?

• helaurin93
    2 years ago

@nanasuesto10 The cabinets with the drawer fronts that are not holding up are in the main bathroom. We are planning a kitchen renovation; my point is that if a cabinet company won't honor their warranty, and if the cabinet store refuses to even look at the product they sold me to determine if it's a warranty-covered issue, then they are both losing out on selling me the $25k or so of cabinetry that I might have considered buying from them.

• PRO
    EWT Ventures
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

So wanted to give you an update of my previous comment.

Not gonna lie, I was slightly confused by what I had said because it seemed it was my choice of not wanting to stop selling them but it wasn't and in fact, because I didn't have a showroom, I was able to sell them through someone who does (my old boss) because their quality HAD become better as I had suggested through their added lead time that was not related to pandemic issues.

UNFORTUNATELY, something happened in their manufacturing plant (Edison, NJ) and there has been so many complaints regarding their quality. In fact, it was suggested to me by someone on the inside (surprisingly, not my rep) to stop using them for the time being because of major quality issues they've been having. It's a shame because for what they offered, they were one of the best around for a low-mid grade cabinet. They also were the only ones who delivered the cabinets inside the home for no extra cost. Delivery guys were great guys I got to know. I tell ya what, once you get spoiled with having the cabinets brought inside, nothing compares to that! They were patient too while I checked every cabinet/moulding piece.

So here's hoping they re-evaluate what's going on in manufacturing and can get their rear in gear. I'd like to have them as an option.

I'll comment here again once things [hopefully] change

• birdie234
    last year

@EWT Ventures

Any updates? I am due to sign on an order and they are asking me to sign a waiver (!) for dust , lint, and dimples in the paint or finish.

• PRO
    EWT Ventures
    last year
    last modified: last year

@birdie234 Nope, not yet. I'm moving away from Hanssem, most likely for good. But I've honestly never heard of a waiver for that, unless I'm missing something. No company should have something you sign that absolves them from a crappy finish. Manufacturers aren't reliable for homeowners & contractors misuse of cabinetry and problems due to a lousy installation, BUT you can sure bet they're very much reliable for everything else up until the agreed upon warranty period; a poor finish is on them. Just make sure each cabinet is inspected upon delivery.

Can you attach a pic of the waiver?

*Edit: Should also say, "everything else" relates to poor cabinet conditions (finish, construction, mechanics, material,etc....)

• birdie234
    last year
    last modified: last year

@EWT Ventures

HANSSEM

Page 1 of 4

HANSSEM DISCLAIMER FOR COLOURTONE FINISHES

***A signed copy of this form must be supplied to Hanssem prior to production ***

Colourtones are opaque finishes, similar in appearance to paint. The coatings are pigmented basecoats that must be catalyzed prior to application and are applied with airless spray equipment. Colourtones have a high solids content, resulting in better build and lower VOC emissions. These finishes are very durable and resistant to moisture

Hanssem's colourtone finishes are available on maple doors and ECO doors & will receive a 20° topcoat (satin finish).

The following characteristics associated with colourtone finishes are considered acceptable AND WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED DEFECTIVE under Hanssem's Warranty Program:

Veneer checking and/or seam separation on 14" center panels, finished ends, panels, toe kicks, etc.

Joint fracturing (hairline cracks along joints on the front, back or edge of doors) from handling of doors and/or the natural process of expansion and contraction of the doors during the different seasons of the year.

Minor flaws such as dust particles, dimples and lint under or in the finish.

Bridging between the framing and center panel and fracturing of the same. (Bridging occurs when the coating mater joins two surfaces together)

Colourtone finishes will vary from batch to batch and will change over time due to exposure to light, pollution and chemicals. Therefore, additions or replacements to previous orders and samples will vary from the original color. Th variation will be within a controlled color range and will not be considered defective.

I/We have read and fully understand the above statements and accept the fact that some or all of these characteristics m be evident in my/our order.

• N Younger
    10 months ago

Apparently they have changed their name to Massachusetts Design, Edison NJ

Broken links: hanssemus

• PRO
    Nagad Cabinets
    10 months ago

One of their bigger dealers bought off the company and its running back on track, same products, same pricing, same quality and good lead times.

• HU-793976878
    5 months ago

Their only saving grace was the drawer hardware upgrades. cabinets were absolute trash. i thimk they sprayed the cabinets and wrapped them up in cardboard while still wet . if i could give them a negative review score i would. spend the money to get a more well built cabinet or dont get them painted. there are more trusted mail order companies for the same price with better quality and at least some customer relations. Hanssem is garbage. if you get them painted, request a spray can of touch up, not a pen.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia