Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hobokenkitchen

Beekeeperswife

hobokenkitchen
11 years ago

I just saw from a google search that you have calcutta porcelain tiles in your bathroom.

We're putting some in right now and we have to work out what to use as threshold pieces. Our shower is pretty large at about 6' accross and we need a threshold for that and for the doorway.

What did you use? I am thinking of trying to track down a remnant of white thassos and using that, but what a pain in the butt that's going to be!

I think carrara won't look right (?) and the botticino we used downstairs isn't quite right either.

I'd rather not have the shower threshold tiled, so I'm a bit stumped.

Any ideas?

Anyone else have any comments?

Comments (10)

• enduring
    11 years ago

If you post this over on the Bathroom Forum, there may be some help with problem solving this issue. Sounds like it will be a nice sized shower.

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I may try, but I tend to get very few responses over there sadly.

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

We used granite tile and it is slick. In hindsight, I would use the shower floor tile.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

Hi hoboken, I was only so much in control of the materials used in this house....

We did use the calacatta porcelain tiles for the floor of the bathroom, but the shower is tiled in the boring 2x2 white squares. The actual threshold I have to guess is some sort of manmade material, maybe a marblelux product? Or a type of corian? Our shower is 5' wide and it is one piece. I think it's the same material as the corner shower shelf/seat thing that I made them cut way down....

I know when I was looking at vanity tops to replace the unfortunate one that was included, the marbles that had any veining in it did not look right with the calacatta floor. I was surprised to see that when I looked at samples in real life. (Currently leaning towards using either a quartz in a solid color or checking out what a slab of calacatta would look like)

I know home depot has in their tile section (Maybe Lowe's too) thresholds made from marble, and some were simple, no veining. (I was thinking about using them maybe for a backsplash--wild ideas)

Let me know if you need pictures.

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Actually I would love pics!
    Maybe we'll run to HD or Lowes before the Super Bowl and see what they have there.

The vanity top is going to be a whole other challenge. Did you not replace yours yet? What is it now?

I am loving the floor, but it's definitely making threshold and vanity top selection much harder!!

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

I'll send you some pictures.

The counter has not been replaced, partially due to being out of $1,000 bills. But also because I really want to have a vanity that isn't a piece of carp, and if I don't have a $1,000 bill, surely, I don't have 2 of them! In due time....

• Pipdog
    11 years ago

hobokenkitchen, we have Calacatta marble shower and we used white quartz (Caesarstone Pure White) for the threshold, niches and the tub surround. Our counters are white Caesarstone, so we just used leftover pieces.

We had to buy a whole slab of quartz b/c we needed it for the counters, but if you just need a threshold, you should check around at fabricators to see if you can find a remnant. Our guy had a lot of white quartz leftover in his remnant pile.

• kimpossible3382
    11 years ago

Stunning bathroom, Pipdog!

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pipdog - what a beautiful bathroom, love it!
    So it looks like white is the way to. I've found Thassos I think, but unsure of the length.

I started calling yards but so far no luck.

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I may try, but I tend to get very few responses over there sadly.