Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
librarylady

Cabinets and 10 ft ceilings

librarylady
14 years ago

If you have 10 foot ceilings and cabinets that go to the ceiling, would you please post pictures? I've seen the pictures of cabinets going to the ceiling in 9 foot high kitchens but not in the taller ones. Thanks so much.

Comments (18)

• texaskitchentoo
    14 years ago

We have 10 foot ceilings but I can't imagine cabinets going all the way up. Ours are 96" tall with 42" uppers and we can't get to the top without a two-step stool. I suppose that would be seldom used storage but it may also be imposing to have a 10 foot wall of cabinets. We have a 2 foot section above the uppers that goes back to the wall and provides a little visual relief. In our kitchen I don't think full height cabinets would be desired. I don't know how to post a pic.

• arlosmom
    14 years ago

Take a look at prettykitty's pictures in the FKB. I think her ceilings are even taller than 10'. She has stunning stacked cabinets.

Here is a link that might be useful: pretty kitty's kitchen

• easteregg
    14 years ago

We have 10' ceilings and our cabinets go to the ceiling. They are stacked 42" & 18" uppers with a crown moulding. Here is a picture - I hope this helps. I have never posted a picture before so sorry if this does not come out correctly.

• librarylady
    Original Author
    14 years ago

easteregg, your kitchen is beautiful. That is exactly the configuration I had in mind, smaller glass cabinets on top and solid doors on the lower ones. Love your subway tile. Thanks so much!

arlosmom, that kitchen has so many of the features we will be using including white cabinets. We are having a butler's pantry and the picture taken from the butler's pantry looking into the kitchen has inspired me. Thank you for taking time to respond.

• librarylady
    Original Author
    14 years ago

techmom, I would love to see a pic when they are installed. We are in the final (I sure hope) stages of permitting, so your picture would still be very helpful.

• easteregg
    14 years ago

bbabers - Thank-you ! I'm glad you liked it ! Good luck with your choices - I know all of the decisions get very overwhelming. cheers

• shelly_k
    14 years ago

I wish I had pics but the house is still under construction. We have 11 foot ceilings in the kichen but will have coffered ceilings in there which will bring it down around 6 inches or so.

Our uppers are 42 inches plus an 18 inch stack on top of that plus 6 inch crown. This should bring us to around 10 feet and close to the coffer, but probably not quite. Our house won't be done until late summer... sorry I can't post pics.

• antiquesilver
    14 years ago

I think it's important that the room (& the windows & doors) be large enough to balance the imposing scale of cabinets to a tall ceiling; otherwise, it might be a bit overwhelming.

My kitchen is one end of a great room (approx 1/2 the room) that is 14'x37'. The ceiling is 11' (150 year old house) with pantries on one side going all the way up & the opposite wall has cabinets to approx. 10'; the short connecting wall has a tall window & door that repeat the sense of height but give a visual break; & the opposite end of the kitchen is open to the living area. If the kitchen had been narrower or enclosed instead of opening into another area, I suspect the super tall cabinets would feel top-heavy. Likewise, regular height cabinets would look dwarfed against the rest of my architectural components.

• lascatx
    14 years ago

My kitchen is a bit less than 14x14 but is open on one end to the breakfast and family rooms (a great room type). The other rooms vault to a 14 foot ceiling in the center, but the kitchen has a level 10 foot ceiling. We put in white cabinets to the ceiling -- similar to easteregg, just in white.

• techmom1
    14 years ago

Cabinets started to go in today - and I have a picture - but I can't figure out how to upload... (and I'm the "tech" mom??) Can I blame it on being after midnight? Give me a clue and I'm happy to post a pic. Do I have to post it to the web (like Picassa) then post the URL?

• techmom1
    14 years ago

Okay - not sure how to imbed the picture in the message, but can link to it. The ceiling may be a bit shy of 10' but not much - the upper cabinets are HUGE - larger than I'd imagined - the top glass cabinets are just for display - will have puck lights in them. There will be a small soffit and then crown- totaly of 7" I think. Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabinets to ceiling in 10' kitchen

• segbrown
    14 years ago

Sorry for the hijack ... easteregg, what is your backsplash tile?

• easteregg
    14 years ago

Segbrown - My backsplash is the Blanco, glass subway tiles from http://www.theglassmosaicoutlet.com. There is a thread on this forum about it seeming to be a "more white" than other white glass subways. Once it is on the wall it seems to change color a lot depending on the lighting and whether or not the under cabinet lights are on.

• shanghaimom
    14 years ago

Ours are 9'8"--it is not a large space and I wanted as much storage as possible, even if it means occasionally getting up on a step stool. The house is 120 yrs old and I think a soffit space would not have looked right in our case.

• antiquesilver
    14 years ago

Beautiful kitchen, Shanghaimom!

• librarylady
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for all these helpful posts. Your kitchens are beautiful. techmom, those are just how mine will look--and same as the "forever" house we just moved away from! I can see my daughter was right, and the cabinets should go to the ceiling.

• shanghaimom
    14 years ago

thank you, antiquesilver (o: we have only been finished for three weeks --am enjoying it sooo much!!!