Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frmrsdghtr_gw

Kitchen mini-makeover DIY (Before and After)

frmrsdghtr
11 years ago

Our kitchen has been done for quite awhile but I don't think I ever put up finished pics. Thanks for all the advice I got on here. Our goal was to do this makeover for $1000, which we achieved. This does not include the new fridge, dishwasher and dining set which were $500 each but purchased out of necessity along the way.

Kitchen Before:

Dining Before:

Kitchen After:

Dining After:

This was a complete DIY project so it's not perfect, but it's light (with 3 small kids I love my magic erasers :) and bright and I know I'll love it until we can do a real reno. The most expensive thing was the paint! We spent approximately $300 on paint - most of that of course was for the cabs.

Comments (34)

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Wow! Great colors, terrific update to your home. You have quite an eye for what works. Congrats on a great DIY job. Best, oldbat2be

• Jfay
    11 years ago

You did a great job. I love it.

• kaourika
    11 years ago

Looks amazing! Hard to believe this was only 1k! What did you use for countertops?

That little cabinet under your staircase intrigues me, I want to open it up and see what's inside :]

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Wow, you did all th painting and the tile work? Impressive! Looks great!

(And what did people do before magic erasers? Those things are the best!)

• frmrsdghtr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The countertops are concrete over formica - I posted about this at some point. My toaster oven and breadmaker are under the stairs since I don't use them too often. Nothing too exciting :). My husband did the tile and I did the painting. It was not fun painting the cabs. In fact it was horrible, dreadful, I despised it, lol. My kids were 5,3,1 so I did it after they went to bed at night from about 8-midnight.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Very nice. The glass doors cabinets are great. Love the grey cabinet color with the countertops. The dining area sure looks dressed up now with those lovely curtains. Give yourself a pat on the back.

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

Wow! Great transformation! I hope you relax after all that hard work.

• amck2
    11 years ago

You must be so pleased. It looks great! Don't know how you shored up the energy to paint till midnight after caring for those little ones!

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

What color are your cabs, actually?
    On my monitor, they're a fantastic gray.

And what is on the back of your glassed cabinets? It looks like tile or something reflective.

Really gorgeous!

• tricia257
    11 years ago

I am so impressed. You got so much bang for the buck!

I also have painted at night because of kids and know how tiring it is. Beautiful job!

• taggie
    11 years ago

Wow, I can't believe you did that amazing job for just $1000. It looks fantastic! The counters alone look like they should be over 1K before even starting on anything else. The glass cabs are lovely. And I second the comments about the dressed up dining room with nice drapery. Great job; congratulations!!

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Beautiful! And to pull off such a beautiful DIY project with small children - kudos to you and your husband! That countertop is beautiful. How did you achieve the look with concrete?

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Amazing. What a beautiful kitchen you have created. I love your counters, and the glass in the cabinets really made your kitchen look larger.

I'd love to know how you did your counters. I made a concrete counter for my bath, but it's rough and rustic. This is the prettiest concrete counter I have ever seen.

• enduring
    11 years ago

This is great. I love the simplification of the dining room. The kitchen looks larger. I bet the kids love it too. Your counter is very pretty, I thought it was marble, and wondered how you stayed within your budget. My hats off to you and your family in creating this lovely space.

• function_first
    11 years ago

This is really gorgeous! I'm in awe of the mileage you got out of 1K. Totally transformed the room, wow! I love your countertops and will have to go find the thread where you talk about doing them, I'm curious now...

Also, what color of paint did you use on your cabinets? It's really great.

• frmrsdghtr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you!

Here is an old thread about the countertops -

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0913045312882.html

I will have to check on the paint color, but I think it is Martha Stewart Bedford Gray.

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

Can't believe that's the same space, wowza! It's beautiful!

• Molly Phillips
    11 years ago

That is fantastic! I have little ones too and I have NO IDEA how you did all of that work between taking care of them (and keeping them out of the mess during the day). Nice!

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Absolutely the best $1000 improvement I can imagine. Very sophisticated and very, very nice. Great job on the faux paint marble!

Congratulations.

• sanjuangirl
    11 years ago

Fabulous! Such a transformation with such a limited budget! Gives one hope......
    Enjoy!

• shanghaimom
    11 years ago

It all looks fantastic!!! The counters are just amazing--I will have to check out that other thread, because I've never heard of "concrete over laminate."

Oh, how I remember all those years of late-night DIY after the kiddos were asleep. Sewing, painting, ripping things out. Somehow you get a second wind. Now, they stay up waaay later than me!

Fantastic job--sure to be an inspiration to many others.

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

It is absolutely amazing! If you have the time, could you post directions on exactly how you painted the cabinets and installed the glass inserts?
    I've looked at several recent homes for sale where homeowners did 'quick' fixes with their kitchen cabinets, slapping white paint on oak cabinets, and they looked atrocious, like, well, someone slapping white paint on oak cabinets.

• Pipdog
    11 years ago

Talk about stretching your budget! That is an incredible transformation for $1,000. And with three little ones? Even more impressive! Great job and enjoy your new space!

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

I THOUGHT I recognized those countertops! I remember them.

That is fantastic that you could pull that off for $1k. Amazing. Well done!!!

• blfenton
    11 years ago

What a great transformation! It looks like a new kitchen in terms of colours.

The first time I painted my cabinets my kids were young and so like you I would paint from 8:00 till 1 am and did that every night for 6 weeks. It was worth it for you and me. It looks really nice.

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

My kids were 5,3,1 so I did it after they went to bed at night from about 8-midnight.

LOL, when my three were just exactly that age and spacing, I wrote a cookbook for people with allergies, only I did most of the work from 4-6:30 am. It was part necessity since I had 3 kids with differing food issues, and part sanity saver - this was before the internet and being able to have adult conversations in more than brief, infrequent spurts.

• frmrsdghtr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nosoccermom, I will give you a couple of tips from my limited experience. Make sure you spend the time to fill holes and dings with wood putty before painting. Each little blemish will show up much more after painting than in the original wood appearance. You need a really good paint brush - my favorite is the Purdy Clear Cut. I don't know why I just liked it in my hand. Also, I used a small fine roller from Seven paints - I did not like how a sponge roller looked. After a year +, the upper cabs still look like new but the lowers definitely have little dings that need to be touched up. So make sure you keep some extra paint! We used a clear silicone(?) on our seeded glass inserts. Hope this helps a little. If it seems daunting - it is daunting. This was a big project IMO. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: this old house - how to paint your cabinets

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    11 years ago

I recognized the counters, too! Thank you for coming back to let us see the final pics. Absolutely wonderful--you are impressive!

• crl_
    11 years ago

Just beautiful. Thank you for sharing!

• jentrex
    11 years ago

I really like the color of the cabinets and your counters are amazing! Also...GO BLUE!!

• onedogedie
    11 years ago

So very impressive. I would never get the job done. Started sure, but finished? Your tenacity is to be applauded. It's a beautiful space and your faux marble concrete is amazing!

• detroit_burb
    11 years ago

very nice and upscale looking.

nice fridge magnet.

GO BLUE!!

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

You did a terrific job--the cabinet color is very pretty(and you are a skilled painter !) and I must read your countertop thread. I too thought the counters were stone...

• sbp59
    11 years ago

Except for the "Go Blue" on the frig, what you did is simply amazing!!!! Congrats! Love it!