Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
worldmom_gw

One more post about my farmhouse table :o)

worldmom
13 years ago

(Previous thread about this table is here.

We finally got the table fully assembled with the brackets and breadboard ends, and it is a sight to behold. :o) Now I need to get serious about deciding on a finish for it, so of course, I'm turning to you guys for help!

Here are some pics of the completed table:

From Last Import
From Last Import

For those who may not have seen the original post, my dad and I built this table to resemble one at Restoration Hardware. We tweaked the plan to make the table large enough for our family of 14. Photos of our chairs and chandelier (minus the shades) are below:

From Last Import

From Last Import

From Last Import

So for finish options, I'm trying to decide between a lighter, weathered look like these:

(This is the Restoration Hardware one we copied)

From Last Import
From Last Import

or a darker finish like this:

From Last Import
From Last Import

There will be a dark-stained oak china cabinet (a copy of one of two original cabinets in our 1910 house) in the dining room, and the dining room is open to our white kitchen (white cabs, some blue-grey accent cabs, soapstone and marble).

Any thoughts on which finish I should try to reproduce, and better, yet, HOW to reproduce it? ;o)

Comments (26)

• lawjedi
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

no idea on how.... but I say go dark! (but I love dark...)

I think it'd be a nice compliment to your white cabs etc...

• Adrienne2011
    13 years ago

I think it should be similar to the mantle or the china cabinet, or both (if possible).

• michiganrachel
    13 years ago

I'm another vote for dark. I, too, think it would offer a great contrast to white cabinets and I just like dark better. Disclaimer - I have white cabinets and a dark farm table!

• polly929
    13 years ago

That looks very similar to my old farmhouse table. I loved it, but it didn't go in my current home so I sold it on CL. Anyhow just to give you an idea of how the dark table with black chairs would look, I'll post a pic.

Another vote for the dark finish.

• nini804
    13 years ago

Love that dark finish!! You did an awesome job on the table...way to go!

• worldmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Adrienne - just to clarify, the table is temporarily parked in our living room because this is what our dining room looks like at the moment! ;o)

From Last Import

• joan2121
    13 years ago

I also like the dark stain: and, where did you see those chairs? I like that style a lot and think they will look great with your table.

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

I've seen a living room decorated just like that! But it was last year and I don't miss it!

Go dark. Recently was reading about finishes. Shellac. Would you believe that's what I should have used on a cabinet I had?? Who knew.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Love the dark, and it will show off the grain to its best advantage.

I remember reading online one time about a technique used to emulate the old Mission finish on antique furniture. I think you mixed the stain into the oil based clear finish. I no longer have the bookmark, but maybe do an internet search for something like that.

There are also instructions on the Waterlox site for mixing stain into the first coat of Waterlox, then adding more clear coats. This would make a good, tough finish for a family table.

• marcolo
    13 years ago

The Mission finish often included fuming the wood with alcohol or whatever, creating that classic gray-dark look.

Here, if you want to go dark, I would seriously consider experimenting with aniline dyes. Much easier to bring it down as dark as you want, and more importantly, get good depth without overdoing the stain.

• greenhousems
    13 years ago

worldmom.. the table is just beautiful. I like the darker finish.

• momfromthenorth
    13 years ago

Another thought...since you have black chairs, you could paint the legs black and give the top a nice walnut stain.
    It's definitely a gorgeous table!!! Congratulations to your beautiful family. :)

• plllog
    13 years ago

I like the dark finish too, but with all those kids is it going to get scratched? Will you care? It might be easier to have a natural finish, but then, again, your dad could leave you a touch up kit. :)

• aliris19
    13 years ago

I'll pile on with "dark" -- like the trim around the door flanking your beautifully-decorated kitchen. I have the same interior decorator ;)

• mindstorm
    13 years ago

As close to natural is my vote. That table is stunning! Lucky girl, great dad.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

I too have seen a living room decorated like that. The
    narrow ailes, a natural rustic feel of cardboard boxes,
    wood gingerly piled to accent the changes in trim color
    and the glorious red hue mixed with black and white.
    Truly out of House Beautiful or Architectural digest.
    I think it is called American Family Roller Coaster Ride.
    : )
    ~boxer

My vote is the same dark color you have on your window
    wood trim.

BUT, if you are changing all your trim to white
    I would go for a lighter color on your table like this.

Or what MARCOLO said. She gives great advice. I am not sure
    if this color is exactly what she meant but this is something
    that triggered my brain.

As for the chairs.... I grew up with the spindle back chairs
    and my complaint was whenever we had extra people at the
    table it was very crowded because of the shape of the chair.
    It does not lend itself to being pushed together.
    HOwever, if you love this look as my grandmother did,
    I would go for it.
    ~boxer

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

So sorry,
    I re-read the post you already have the chairs. I am
    so sorry I even commented. I just remember grandmais house
    and fighting to sit close to her.
    smiles
    ~boxer

• prill
    13 years ago

I like the idea of black legs to go with the chairs, maybe antiqued a bit and kind of a medium tone for the top. Sounds like you might need to do some experimenting. You could even wipe on a milk paint.

Here's my very old tavern table with black legs.

• mythreesonsnc
    13 years ago

I like the dark too, but think you should do a natural finish. To me this means stain it how you want, waterlox it or something else that will wear and can be easily repaired, or that can just wear and get some patina. My sister and sister in law just bought beautiful tables that have a fancy finish, and on the first use there were tears when something spilled or a child's fairy wand scratched it. There was really no great way to repair it because it was a hard finish at the surface and that was damaged. For your table, you want it to be well loved (I have one like this too, I posted it on your last post on this topic) and it will get scratches and spills and it should be a great place to gather and hang out vs. a "keep away from the precious table" kind of piece. So, look for something that soaks into the wood -- I used this product 15 years ago by Minwax (they don't make it anymore) that had a stain and a sealer all in one. Every couple of years I take a cloth and wipe on another coat and the table is rich looking again -- I don't bother to sand out the scratches and stuff --- but could. It doesn't require a furniture refinisher.

Also, my sister who bought a fancy table and had the fairy wand incident found a website called the furniture butler. They have lots of waxes and finishes that can do wonders.... even repairing her situation.

Good luck, can't wait to see it! It is already beautiful!

Here is a link that might be useful: the furniture butler

• chatty3867
    13 years ago

I am sure no matter what you choose it will be beautiful. I am very impressed with your work, you should be very proud. It is a perfect addition to your home.

• eandhl
    13 years ago

Beautiful no matter what the finish is.

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

Oh, prill, I WANT your table and chairs and pie safe and rug...PUUULLEEZZ? If you ever want to store it somewhere, I'll come and get it.

• Fori
    13 years ago

Natural is okay, dark is fine, but your table is too pretty to "weather".

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

What a beautiful table and it will always be so special to you and your family! I vote for dark and love the idea of black legs and trestle to go with the chairs. I have no idea what products to use, unfortunately. Looking forward to seeing what you decide and more pics (hint, hint)!

• dan1888
    13 years ago

White oak is actually quite a bit harder than the English pine of the Restoration table. That country pine furniture is made from reclaimed old pine and is finished with Briwax. Initially it is thinned for penetration and additional coats can be warmed to help soak in. Briwax comes in different shades for light to dark. Care is easy for a rustic "in use" look. Just rewax. Another option for a bit more endurance is multiple coats of tung oil without any additions. Let each coat dry before putting on another. May take five days, which is why this process is not seen commercially without an additive for hardening. But pure is best. Finish with a coat of Renaissance wax. Read the reviews. You've already put in the work, so enjoy it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Renaissance wax

• prill
    13 years ago

Thanks Pinch_Me. I love the table too. I just moved it to the LR to use as a desk because of some ice dam flooding in the DR. I really like it there, so I may leave it. I have a weakness for pie safes and collect them. Bad habit. So, when I need storage, I'll let you know. Also, Happy birthday to your kitchen.

Sorry to hijack the thread... I like Dan's idea about the tung oil and wax.