Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kats_meow

GE Induction cooktop questions

kats_meow
10 years ago

We currently have a 36" Jenn-Air gas cooktop which was existing in the house we live in. We are considering switching to an induction cooktop. I like the GE Profile, but have a couple of questions.

(1) the installation manual gives instruction for installing a downdraft. But, we don't have a downdraft. We currently have an OTR microwave but plan to replace it with a regular hood. Are we unable to have a GE Profile induction cooktop since we don't have downdraft?

(2) I read the cutout dimensions which seem fine. However, the install manual says that it requires 2" min. clearance to sidewall from cut-out. I don't have that. There is zero clearance between the side wall of the bottom cabinets. Currently there is no clearance at all between the cutout for the Jenn-Air and the side walls. The side wall on the right side could probably be moved. Where it is close to an angle on the cabinet so there is "empty" space to the right of the side wall so it could be moved 2 inches. The side wall on the left side is an issue since there are drawers in the lower cabinet so I can't just move that side wall. Has anyone dealt with anything like this?

Edit: The GE requires a cutout of 33 7/8" by 19 1/8". I don't actually think it will work for us. The cutout for our Jenn-Air is 34 7/8" x 20 13/16 +- 1/16". So the GE won't work since we already have a cutout larger than the GE.

Does anyone know of an induction cooktop that will fit in the Jenn-Air cutout but does not require 2" side wall clearance beneath the cabinet?

This post was edited by kats_meow on Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 22:04

Comments (3)