Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GE Induction cooktop questions

Posted by kats_meow (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 21:35

We currently have a 36" Jenn-Air gas cooktop which was existing in the house we live in. We are considering switching to an induction cooktop. I like the GE Profile, but have a couple of questions.

(1) the installation manual gives instruction for installing a downdraft. But, we don't have a downdraft. We currently have an OTR microwave but plan to replace it with a regular hood. Are we unable to have a GE Profile induction cooktop since we don't have downdraft?

(2) I read the cutout dimensions which seem fine. However, the install manual says that it requires 2" min. clearance to sidewall from cut-out. I don't have that. There is zero clearance between the side wall of the bottom cabinets. Currently there is no clearance at all between the cutout for the Jenn-Air and the side walls. The side wall on the right side could probably be moved. Where it is close to an angle on the cabinet so there is "empty" space to the right of the side wall so it could be moved 2 inches. The side wall on the left side is an issue since there are drawers in the lower cabinet so I can't just move that side wall. Has anyone dealt with anything like this?

Edit: The GE requires a cutout of 33 7/8" by 19 1/8". I don't actually think it will work for us. The cutout for our Jenn-Air is 34 7/8" x 20 13/16 +- 1/16". So the GE won't work since we already have a cutout larger than the GE.

Does anyone know of an induction cooktop that will fit in the Jenn-Air cutout but does not require 2" side wall clearance beneath the cabinet?

This post was edited by kats_meow on Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 22:04

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GE Induction cooktop questions

Have a look at the Thermador model CIT365KM (they also other similar models). The installation inst. show a cutout of 34 3/4"-34 7/8" x 19 7/8"-20". The thickness is 4 1/8", which includes 1" clearance under, but I don't see any further side clearance needed under.
It needs top countertop space of 2" in rear and 1" in front. The cooktop surface is 37" x 21 1/4" . Don't know if that will work with your countertop space.
Maybe the extra side clearance is for support. Perhaps you could reinforce the counter underneath.

o

I read the manufacturer's installation instructions and can't find anything regarding 2" clearance to lower cabinet sidewalls. You have to keep lower drawers 12" away.

The 2" requirement is for combustibles adjacent to the cooktop such as a cabinet or an unprotected wood stud wall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Specs

o

Have you posted over on the appliance forum? We have a GE induction and when I posted there about 2 years ago, I received great, knowledgable help.

Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here