Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raehelen

Kitchen space planners- need your help for tiny kitchen

raehelen
11 years ago

My son has just bought his first home, complete with rental suite in the basement. Sewer backed up and now insurance will replace complete kitchen and living room. Tiny, tiny space, but I think he could gain more useable room with a better layout. Now it is a galley kitchen with everything lined up on one side. I think he could move fridge to alcove across from stove and then wrap counter around and under window. Am I missing anything? Are there even better ideas out there to utilize this space? My daughter is living there now, so I would like to see her gain storage and counter space and even room for a tiny table if possible..

Everything has been gutted, so cupboard configuration can be anything. I am suggesting primarily drawers in the bases, and possibly a lazy susan in corner where fridge is now.

Comments (12)

• D Ahn
    11 years ago

I think you're on the right track to move the fridge to the alcove; tall pantry storage would be awesome for storage in that alcove, and maybe a built-in desk that can double as a 1-2 person dining table. You might consider a wall of 6-8" deep storage shelf wall in the narrow portion of the kitchen by the corner window.

In one sense you have a dream kitchen: no corner cabinets and all the awkwardness and wasted space they come with. All drawers are good, and good drawer organizers are better than lots of space inefficiently utilized; less running back & forth.

• localeater
    11 years ago

I think your ideas are good ones, but I do wonder if a bigger kitchen is what a 'rental suite' needs. The suite as a whole and its needs should be taken into consideration. While in a nice big place that alcove across from the stove seems ideal for the fridge, if this is a smaller place that spot may be the only area that a small table could be nestled into.

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Can you post the whole layout of the apartment?

While your daughter is living there now, consider the type of renter that apartment would attract. Think about how those renters would use the kitchen (the entire apartment) and their needs.

• raehelen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. Of course it is a good idea to think of future renters, (hopefully my daughter will move once she's finished school, and gets a job as a teacher...fingers crossed...LOL).

David, I'm a little confused, are you suggesting I move the fridge, or keep it where it is? :>) My daughter said she did have two sets of those industrial looking aluminum shelves along the wall across from the counter (they were moved to allow for replacing the subfloor).

Localeater and Debrak, that is a good point. It is a one-bedroom. The previous renter was an engineer, and after a few months his girlfriend moved in. I was surprised, as I thought it was tiny for two. The kitchen is one end of an L. The Living room runs perpendicular and is very narrow. I am guessing, maybe 8 feet wide? My daughter has her large computer desk against the end beside the stove (I think there's some space in between), and then the long outer wall is filled with book cases and a couch. So, perhaps 16 feet long? (Have texted my daughter to measure...but may be a while before I have an answer).

Area is close to college and University, so likely a student or single young professional would rent it. Am hoping to make kitchen the 'selling point' of the rental, as my son has been given this opportunity to upgrade at very little or no extra cost.

So, room for a table, is definitely important, though my daughter eats at her computer desk, some one else may actually utilize a table and chair!

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

While I would make the kitchen as functional as possible, chances are the renters may not be that concerned with it. Students are busy with school and jobs. Tend to eat on the run. As you daughter has a desk that gets lots of use others may agree. Perhaps an area that that could be used for eating as well desk space.

I have a 2 unit rental and have grand ideas for it. But in reality I know I need to offer what fits the market not what I like.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Is the alcove where you would normally have a table at which to eat and study? Would you put that table at the window end of the kitchen instead, under the window?

• raehelen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hosenemesis, Yes, I think the alcove is where previous renters have placed a table and chairs. If my son moved the fridge there, I am thinking there would still be room for a table to the side of the fridge. (Fridge is small, and I didn't mention that for some reason the original owner built in a partial bulkhead there(about the width of a fridge), so very low, no room for a 'normal height' fridge. Present one is 60" high, that's all that would fit in there-wall is open to under stairs area in basement, so actually could be changed/raised. But don't think it is worth the effort/expense.)So, probably should have mentioned that previously, duh! ie, if there was a chair there, you would have to stoop under ceiling to get out.

No, I wouldn't move a table to the end under the window. Was thinking of extending counter around. That would interfere with opening cupboard doors. Thought it would be ideal place then for Microwave, toaster oven, various appliances that daughter/potential renters would use in lieu of actual stove/oven! (though there is a full-sized oven/stove there).

So, question to those of you who can visualize better than me. If, he went with wrapping the counter around under the window, what would you do with uppers between the two windows? (Maybe eliminate those altogether?)

As you can see, ceilings are low in the apartment, bulkhead across where stove is. Another bulkhead is even lower in alcove just about the size of a small fridge...Other window is just to the right of the fridge. (this pic was taken as they were gutting kitchen)

• D Ahn
    11 years ago

Raehelen, yes, move the fridge to the alcove. By my math, 32W for a 30" wide fridge and 18W for a deep pantry cabinet would leave 31.5" for a built-in desk/table.

I think you should leave that short wall alone, as the space looks narrow already, and run your uppers from the window to the short wall. The short wall could have an accent color for a splash of brightness with the window for light/spaciousness. Having 6-8" deep shelves lining the wall opposite the cabinets wouldn't visually narrow the space.

• robo (z6a)
    11 years ago

If I were renting I would likely want to shove a tiny cafe table in by the window on the blank wall. Fridge, pantry and desk would be great for alcove.

As a survivor of teeny tiny apartments, the more storage the better!

A corner rather than just one wall of cabs does make a kitchen seem more like a real kitchen and less like a kitchenette, as we found out when changing up a friends super tiny condo kitchen. So I'm not opposed to wrapping. You could just have uppers on the back wall, not right by the window, ending of course before the other window. Maybe frosted glass fronts?

You could also consider having 12" deep lowers with a 13.5" deep counter on top, then 12" deep uppers. That would make the counter mostly for holding small appliances. The lowers could only realistically be shelves but would probably be useful pantry space.

Also I know this is impractical for just a rental apartment, but i keep picturing a booth along that back wall! 70 x 24 is just about the right size for a built in two person booth!! speaking of little cafe tables.

Here is a link that might be useful:

This post was edited by robotropolis on Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 16:44

• robo (z6a)
    11 years ago

Just had a thought...what if you wrapped the corner, 24" deep base, kept cabs off wall to right of over sink window, but them brought them down to counter on back wall? 36" wide glass front hutch. That might look classy,

• raehelen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the ideas.

Robotropolis, I am intrigued by the glass front hutch idea...though I think counter space is probably more important than extra storage (by moving fridge, lots more storage is gained anyways). Just wondering about access to uppers, especially in the corner between the two windows. We have a corner upper in our kitchen in a similar sized space, you mentioned Ikea planner in your kitchen post, do you know if Ikea makes a corner cupboard? (I tried using the planner, but it crashed, and I gave up! :>(

• robo (z6a)
    11 years ago

I probably wouldn't put a corner upper, if you did wrap the counter I would only put them on the back wall.

IKEA only makes the trapezoid corner upper which goes out 24" on either wall. They do sell a lazy susan (they call it a carousel) that can go inside the upper.

Most people these days using IKEA cabinets probably make a blind corner. However I have seen really nice display kitchens at IKEA where they do open shelving on one wall right to the corner (in your case, from the window to the wall) and then butt the cabinet up to that open shelving. Picture this but with a cabinet going off to the right:

PS Ikea does not have a blind corner or easy reach corner solution, so people just usually jerry-rig one.

PPS The lovely people at IKEAFANS are really good at shoehorning in IKEA cabinets to tiny spaces.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea upper corner,

This post was edited by robotropolis on Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 14:29