Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Our mountain cabin kitchen is finished!

Posted by splitrock (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 28, 12 at 21:30

Photobucket
Last winter a compression fitting popped open and flooded our mountain getaway cabin. Well, the cabin is really more than just a weekend place. It is our future forever after (retirement) home, and the center of many family celebrations. We were so crushed at the loss. The entire house had to be ripped out to the studs. We took the opportunity to add on a new kitchen, using the space from the old, very small kitchen as our new dining area.
Many design decisions were based on budget and others on my nemesis, arthritis. It took a year and was difficult, because we live and work almost 4 hours away. I asked opinions from my family, but it was the wonderful people on GW who were of most help to me. Forgive me for not saying so before this. Without you I would have been really unprepared for the many decisions, compromises, and joys of designing a kitchen.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Our mountain cabin kitchen is finished!

What a beautiful, serene space. Love the counters, backsplash and wall color. Wishing you years of good times and happiness in your mountain retreat.

o

That is a beautiful kitchen!

I'd love to know what your backsplash tile is. So pretty!

o

Absolutely beautiful! The backsplash is just perfect with your lovely counters and cabinets. And what great windows!! I think my favorite thing is how nicely those upper glass cabinets in the center corner look.

Horrible that it started with a flooded cabin but sometimes things happen for a reason and the end result is just wonderful. What a beautiful home to retire to one day.

Great job! Enjoy your beautiful new kitchen.

o

Stunning space. What kind of granite is that?

o

Beautiful! What is your granite called? I love it.

o

What a lovely space. Details please?

o

lovely!! beautiful stone. is that ming green BS?

o

Thanks for responding! DH and I are so happy to be able to share this space which, for us, is so special. The BS is called Biltmore and is from The Tile Shop in Raleigh, NC. The countertop is called Atlantic Stone. It is supposed to be even harder than granite. It is, indeed, very hard.

o

My goodness that is beautitul! How wonderful to have a kitchen like that to retire in! Enjoy it!

o

Well that's just great!
What a fantastic job you've done.
The cabs, the granite, the floors, the ceiling, and the slate at the door.
An absolutely beautiful outcome.
Congratulations.

o

Wow! This is a gorgeous kitchen. Nice job!! I really love all the windows :)

o

Beautiful open bright kitchen. Those windows are gorgeous they way they let in all that natural light.

o

How beautiful. I want to come read the paper at that table. Is there a paper that takes a week to get through?

Hard to get rustic and serene and fresh all together but you did it and -even better- it looks effortless. (-:

o

Yowza! It is gorgeous!

o

wow. what is there NOT to like - from the ceiling to the floor!
love the ceiling, the windows (I love windows) and all of those DRAWERS! wonderful.

What a great retreat to retire to! and enjoy periodically until then.

o

What a beautiful kitchen! I love the combination of finishes -- the wood moulding with painted and wood cabinetry. The windows and light they bring into the space are just wonderful. Granite and backsplash, too. You've done a marvelous job. Enjoy your mountain get-away and all the celebrations to come!

o

Beautiful! The colors are so calming. And those pendants...swoon.

o

Oh wow! It must feel you are close enough to touch the heavens when you are there! It sure looks that way. Lovely and serene!

o

lemonade out of lemons, huh? : )
I'm trying to keep that attitude.

Very serene.
You did a beautiful job!

o

I would love to see more pix! I think your counters and bs are pretty, but I can't see them clearly...

I love the cabs and all the drawers. It looks so neat and crisp. The windows really make it so cheerful and spacious.

I love what I see, but I want to see MORE!

Congrats ;)

o

Oh I *love* these colors and the backsplash.

I really sympathize with the flood loss. I've been dealing with my mother's for almost two months now. It's rather harrowing, isn't it?

o

Lovely! Great example of how different wood finishes can work superbly together without being matchy-matchy. The space is natural, comfortable and inviting. Well done!

o

What a lovely, serene kitchen! I particular like the counters and BS, which looks a bit like ming green marble.

o

I'm blinded by all that gorgeous sunlight! What a great place to cook and spend precious family time. I second the call for more stone pics. That blazing sun makes it difficult to make out. Here's hoping that wonderful new kitchen and cabin washes away the heartache of what lead to it.

o

Beautiful! Love your granite!

o

I love snow. Skiing Alpine or cross country, snow shoeing,
snow sledding, making snowmen...
So for me your kitchen is a true dream.
The large windows bring the outdoors inside with a sense
of grace and elegance.
~boxer

o

What a beautiful, serene space for you and your family to enjoy and celebrate! Especially love all the windows and light flooding into the room!

Your choices in color and materials are suberb for the space and environment! The granite is so elegant!

Enjoy for many years to come! Cheers!

o

Thank you for posting your beautiful kitchen. You have no idea how helpful it is for me to see a white kitchen with wood trimmed windows. Congratulations!

o

Beautiful! I just love the counters and backsplash and how they play off of the warmth of your wood windows. Enjoy!

o

Oh wow, it is Gorgeous! I especially love the granite, backsplash, those big gorgeous windows and your lights! I'm so sorry to hear that your beautiful cabin was flooded, but the rebuild is truly stunning. Wishing you countless years of happiness in it! :)

o

I agree with all the comments that said this space is "serene!"

All your finishes complement each other perfectly. The paint color is very pretty in your space and goes so well with the tiles. Well done. Enjoy!! :)

o

It is so nice to hear each of your comments - we read them over and over! Some have asked for details, so here they are.
Wall Oven- Electrolux single 30 inch EW30EW55GS7
Microwave drawer: Sharp KB-6525 PS (love it)
Cooktop: Bosch induction NIT8065UC (love it)
Sink:Rohl Allia fireclay 6307 (love it)
Refrigerator: Samsung RFG293HA
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Just love your counter tops. You said it is called Atlantic Stone. Is that the name of the granite, quartz or is it something else? Where are you located that you were able to find the stone? Love the job you did. Enjoy it.

o

I hate it when someone's 2nd home looks better than my first ;)!

Beautiful job -- hope you make many wonderful family memories here.

o

I love all the windows. Very pretty room.

o

This will give alot of us inspiration to get to work on our mountain retreat as well.

o

That is truly lovely, Splitrock. What a great place to be able to retire to. I always especially enjoy seeing what people with years of experience, who've really learned what's important and enduringly satisfying, create for themselves. BTW, I also really like your counter, though everything's secondary to those windows and what you have beyond. :)

o

Just Beautiful! I love a kitchen with no upper cabinets and having all
those lovely windows instead is fabulous.
I wouldn't be able to wait to retired there.
Love the backsplash and the slate by the door.
Everything really looks perfect. Congratulations.

o

You KNOW this is not a "cabin," right?

o

Congratulations. It's beautiful and practical and full of light and marvelous colors.

o

Wowzers.

That is really beautiful! I love your stone and backsplash! Just really, really lovely! Congrats!

o

Wow, what a beautiful kitchen!

I too love the stone with the backsplash - they are perfect together. And those windows, sigh. I just love windows on two walls like that.

Fantastic job, enjoy that wonderful kitchen!

o

wow~ beautiful. i especially love your counters!

o

Wow, just gorgeous and so much open space!

o

Congratulations! What a beautiful setting.

I'd love to hear details on the table and chairs. They suit the country atmosphere perfectly.

o

Beautiful! Congrats!

o

Mmm, love it all, inside and out! I can almost smell that fresh mountain air. I think my blood pressure went down a few notches looking at your new kitchen...so serene!

o

I couldn't wait to come back tonight to see if you had more pics. Lucky me!

Do you rent that lovely, serene, haven-like, cozy, warm "cabin" out when you're not there? Because I will hop in my car right now and drive there. Wherever it is. It looks unbelievably peaceful. I WISH I had a peaceful place to retreat. Love it. Thanks again for sharing. :)

o

I spy Robert Abbey Beehive pendants! Lovely! Your kitchen is so soothing and gorgeous! Enjoy!!

o

Your house is a "mountain cabinet" the way The Breakers, in Newport, is a cottage, splitrock, only requiring less staff. I am sorry that misfortune had to be part of the stimulus for your new work, but man is it beautiful.

I don't think anyone would object if you posted more photos when you are so inclined.

Congratulations. hbk

o

Really beautiful. Calm and comfortable, I'd love to cook and eat in there! Enjoy!

o

So wonderful. Thanks for sharing. You inspire me to keep on going with the reno...

o

Wow. Stunning! I love the creamy cabinets with the wood window trim, ceiling, and floors. The counter and backsplash are amazing. What a great place with wonderful character! The kitchen lights are cool!

o

I love your kitchen! I tried to google your countertop (Atlantic Stone) and couldn't find it - could you possibly share more information on what it is - how to find it???

And like everyone else I would love more pictures!!

o

I have never been able to find out much about the Atlantic stone either. The stone suppliers list it with their granite, but it is not actually granite. They sell it in polished and honed, which resembles soapstone or a medium grey marble. The stone company I dealt with actually used it as the background for the large sign in front of their business. It is very, very hard, and the fabricators were a little unsure about it at first. They did not have any problems with it at all. The seams are perfect and this stone does not etch or stain. Here is a link to the stone company that I used. They shipped it to my fabricator.
http://www.cosmosgranite.com/productlist.php?cat=Granite&from=a&to=f<ype=R
I am sending another picture. Thanks for asking!
Photobucket

o

Your kitchen is simply gorgeous! It sparkles in the mountain light. Great choice of colors and materials!

o

It looks wonderful! Enjoy!!!

o

splitrock,

Would you mind sharing more details on your kitchen? What is the wall color, and the cabinet color? What wood did you use for the window trim, and what stain? Is that alder door and trim? What a charming cabin! Love it.

o

CC, Yes, of course. The paint color is called Misty Lake. We found it on a sample card at Lowe's, but bought the paint from the Benjamin Moore paint store.
Tha cabinet color is Softwhite on maple wood from the Shiloh cabinet company. You could get a sample from them even if you just want to see the color. It is not too stark or too warm, so it looks good with a range of other whites and fresh against other colors.
The door was special ordered from Lowe's and it is Knotty Alder. We did not stain it at all, just used polly.
The window trim and baseboard trim was stained with a very,very light coat of cherry stain, then polyureathane in a matt finish.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here