Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rgillman

Rayna's cabinets are here! - Part I

rgillman
16 years ago

Before 8:am the delivery truck was here this morning and by the time Michael arrived, most of the cabinets were in the great room. For the most part, a lovely sight. But not without its snags...

As I suspected, things were going too smoothly not to hit a few bumps in the road. They will be fine, but I was not a happy camper this morning.

The vanity came in wrong: right width, wrong depth. Two of the pantry doors don't match anything else; the hinges were put in on the wrong side and the beautiful wood is on the inside of the door. And finally, the base with two file drawers and a junk drawer are useless because the drawers are too shallow. They should be 10" drawers but are 7" drawers - a whole saga which I won't bore you with. I was really upset because I had signed off on the plan without realizing it was for a 32" base instead of a counter height base.

Michael said not to worry, Wholesale Kitchen won't give me any grief about it, nor will Adelphi, who will replace whatever they need to. (As it turned out, it was an oversight when Mike at Wholesale Kitchen ordered them. Nonetheless, I left two hysterical messages on his phone. When he called me back, he reassured me and said he will be here tommorrow morning. The vanity is easy - he just needs another box. The file cabinet we'll have to figure out.And Adelphi will replace the doors that are inside out as well as anything that might be scratched. NO PROBLEM.

Meantime, Michael got to work because Jay from Garden State Soapstone will be here on Wed. to template. (I will post about that in a different message). When I snapped this picture,and told him I was posting it, he said if I had warned him he would have taken off his shirt and flexed his muscles. Oh well, you can't have everything.

By the time he left at 3 this afternoon, things were shaping up.

The SINK RUN: l-r, cooktop and oven, 30" 3 drawer base, 16.5 double trash pullout, sink, space for dw. The corner will be in tomorrow. Stay tuned.

THE ISLAND: l-r, 36" drawers (2 18's on the top);space for icemaker, 18" 4 drawer base.

AND - TA DA! - My personal favorite: THE PANTRY

12" deep and 87" wide, it is too beautiful to be in a kitchen. L-pantry Middle - bookcase w/ doors below - R - pantry. Oh, joy. At the last minute, we left the outlet in the wall and just put in the cabinets. Originally I wanted an outlet on one of the shelves just in case. (of what??).

But it turned out not to be centered in the middle cabinet - it was in an awkward spot - and anyway, that cherry is too gorgeous to cut a hole into. So, no electricity there. But oh, what a luxury.

I love the way the doors and drawers are book-matched (except for the two inside-out ones, of course). Tomorrow,all the lowers and some of the appliances might just be in. More pix, I am sure.

Comments (20)

• sholt576
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It looks scrumptious. Can't wait to see it with the stone on top!

Congrats :)

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!!!!!! Love the graining on yours (I might have to be a little jealous about some of that luscious graining!).

Do the cabs have any stain or are they natural? Hard to tell in pics sometimes because of the lighting. Ours had a really light (watered-down) stain when we got them but boy have they changed in the year we've had 'em. Yours look a little darker than ours did when they arrived, but again, could be the pics. They seem to have an inner glow, almost luminous.

I am so excited for you! It's really shaping up now!

PS All will be straightened out, I'm sure!

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

I meant yours seem to glow if that wasn't clear!

• westsider40
    16 years ago

Rayna, They are gorgeous!!!! They're what I want. Clean, mod...beautiful wood or veneer. Are your cab people local? on the east or west coast? possibly, sigh, in the midwest? Bev. All of your meticulous planning will come to fruition.

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Wonderful! LOVE the pantry cupboards.

• plllog
    16 years ago

Wow! Gorgeous!

• blackeyedpeas
    16 years ago

GORGEOUS, I love the way the wood looks, the graining and depth and color and style and well just everything about them! Congratulations and keep posting pics.

• rgillman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, everybody. LOL - some day I am waiting to see a comment about somebody's kitchen that says "ewwww - those are butt ugly!" I guess if you are thinking that, you don't comment(big grin).

Cat_mom, they are natural cherry and actually came in darker than I expected from what everybody says. Maybe they won't darken too much more - I love them as they are. It's the light Nd my camers, probably, that make them all look so different. The battery charger from my good camera seems to have vanished. Grrrrr. The boxes are plywood. I'll have to see if I can get a picture of the unmatching doors.

Westsider - I'm in NJ (I keep thinking that with a name like that, you are in NY City!). Adelphi is the cabinet manufacturer and they are somewhere in Pennsylvania. But if you go to their dealer page on the website, you can contact them to find out who the dealers are in your area. They are beautiful and while my local dealer is terrific, I suspect that is partly because Adelphi is so good to deal with.

I'll take more pix today and post again tonight.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adelphi Kitchens & Cabinets

• westsider40
    16 years ago

Adelphi cabs are beautiful. Thanks for the link. Bev

• User
    16 years ago

Hey Rayna....EEEEEWWWWWWWW....nope can't do it, they are just too beautiful for words. And tell Michael we are waiting for that pinup pic ! Caroline

• tko_in_fl
    16 years ago

Wow! Love the wood and those book matched cabinets! Absolutely gorgeous!!

By the way, what pulls are you going to be using? (We're getting slab doors and are trying to decide what would look best.)

Thanks.

• Flowerchild
    16 years ago

Rayna, very nice. I never would have guessed they were cherry. Can't wait to see the finished look. They look mod as they are now. Is that the look you are going for? Isn't it just the the greatest feeling when the delivery is actually there? Like the best Christmas, Graduation and wedding all rolled into one event!!

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

ooh so glad you're havign progress and I can't wait to see more.

don't worry about the snags...we all have them.

• mommycooks
    16 years ago

Looking good! Can't wait to see it all in, with soapstone and that gorgeous Caldera cooktop as well . . . oh such fun to see it all come together!

• malhgold
    16 years ago

I don't know how I missed this the other day. They look great!!! Can't wait till you're finished!!!

• shannonplus2
    16 years ago

Hmmm, which did I enjoy ogling more? The matched-grain cabinetry, or hunky Michael? The lovely natural beauty of cherry wood, or man with a toolbelt? Tee hee, it's a toss-up. You lucky gal you!

• rgillman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL - Sannon - and he's just as nice as can be. Shall I go into some of yesterday's bumps in the road? Ha ha - see this?

The big space is for the fridge. The space to the left will have 3 file drawers and two junk drawers - desk-height counter, 21" deep, phone, and I just ordered sheets of corkboard for the back so we could have a bulletin board backsplash. But hark! Right in the middle of this space is a light switch and 4 outlets, plus the phone jack. I am an idiot! When I told the electrician where to put these things, nothing was in yet and I was making so many fast decisions that of course, this was totally insane. Can't hang anything but little bits of paper on a bulletin board with all those switches and a phone in the middle. My husband simply rolled his eyes.I will undoubtedly have to fork over a few hundred $$ to correct what is my error - but it has to be done or I will be miserable. A bulletin board 24 x 30 was a serious priority -- and that's not even big enough for all the stuff.

It gets better:see THIS?? It was my brand new Advantium magic oven: microwave-speedcook-convection.

Still in its box, as you see. Michael and I wanted to check something. He opened the oven door and it came off in his hand. "Oh, that's nothing," says he. "Oven doors come off all the time to be cleaned - I'll just hook it right back."
    WRONG. It wouldn't go back. After a few futile tries, I called GE to ask how to get the oven door back on. "BACK ON?" asked the startled woman at the other end? "The Advantium is a MICROWAVE and the door is not supposed to come off." Oh, fine. "It must be defective. Send it back."
    I called Reno's, my local dealer, who is just great. I will have a new Advantium on Saturday when they pick up this one.

Ok, the good stuff:

Yes, Flowerchild - I want a contemporary look in this contemporary townhouse. Here are the handles we are going to get: IKEA. This size - 8-3/4" will do for all but the 24-30-36" drawers.

On my monitor it looks blue but is brushed stainless. Here's the sink run - annoyingly fuzzy. The space is for the 30" oven under the cooktop and the diagonal cabinet at the end will be where the Advantium will go.

Here is the 14" spice pullout. It has so much room it will be an adjunct pantry.

Here's a closer look at the width (and the sawdust).

Ok - enough for now. I'll catch up with today's templating in another post.

• rgillman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I meant SHannon - sorry! Too tired and making typos.

• quantumkitten
    16 years ago

Wow. The cabinets look fantastic. I can't wait to see this all come together. Based on what I've seen so far, you have lovely taste.

• mollyred
    16 years ago

Rayna those are just beautiful! If I could have 2 kitchens I'd want one of them to have gorgeous natural cherry slab doors like yours! (Suppose this greed for goodies explains why I have 4 entire sets of dinnerware? )