Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

Overhead task lighting help

oldbat2be
11 years ago

My prep area is at the end of the island here and is not bright enough for me at night. We have Cree LED cans surrounding the perimeter, on a dimmer, and the light from the overhead chandelier but I find the Cree cans to be too bright when they are turned up high enough (to light the prep area) and the island light to not quite be enough when turned up all the way (much softer). We ran a couple wires to the skylight; one for rope lighting around the perimeter (don't think we will end up installing this) and another for overhead lighting over the prep area (on the right hand side of the skylight, up about 14 inches from the ceiling, you can't see the electrical box from this picture).

Please help me find a dimmmable light solution to mount up in the skylight. We've tried the Philips Ledino LED lights which were fun (linked), because I could direct one down on the prep area and the other at the hood across the aisle. However, despite using the ridiculously expensive recommended ELV dimmer, the light would not dim sufficiently. Note I did contact both Phillips and Lutron to confirm that I had the recommended dimmer. We also had the same experience when we added the ledino onto the Cree circuit, which would be my preference, controlling with one light switch vs. two.

Please note the light mounted on the skylight wall is far enough forward that there is no shadow when someone preps in this area. Visually, looking up - I also didn't like the spotlight effect. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Best, oldbat2be

Here is a link that might be useful: Ledino lights

Comments (4)