Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katiekitchen_gw

Help with backsplash

katiekitchen
10 years ago

Hi
I can't believe it's been 5 years since my kitchen remodel! We have been intending to do a backsplash for all these years, but recently replaced our stove and have become motivated to do it sooner rather than later. But, I'm stuck on what to do. Any suggestions or pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!,

Comments (22)

• Sms
    10 years ago

Maybe go with something blue since you are scenting in that color. Like this Ann Sacks arabesque perhaps

White or a grey crackle subway could work too

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

That pale blue Ann Sacks is perfect.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

Even though the kitchen is very simple in the color scheme, visually to me it is a bit busy. So I would vote for a very simple backsplash. I wouldn't like the arabesque with your style cabs (just my taste).

I'm not even sure that I would introduce another color, at least not a strong one. Because I like your white and gray, if it were mine, I think that I would just do a subway in a complementary gray with matching grout, maybe in glass to add a little something to the texture, and continue to bring the color with accessories. Or just do a tiny bit of color with a liner.

• katiekitchen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So strange. When I just looked at this post from my computer, the picture is sideways. It looks fine on my phone or ipad. I'll try to repost, although I now see the picture is blurry.

I am inclined to go more simple, too. I'm not sure I want to commit to a color. I thought marble, but think that may be too busy.

Any examples of a gray that is not marble?

• katiekitchen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And I almost forgot, most importantly, thanks to those of you who responded!! I love this forum and still lurk frequently!

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

What do you like? Glass? Stone? A mix? Subway? Do you have a direction that you are leaning?

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I like raee's reasoning--there's a lot going on in a small space, so you want to keep it simple.

Everyone here seems to be into crackle subways lately.

• lovehomechic
    10 years ago

Agreeing with Raee. The overall style of the kitchen doesn't seem to match the blue ann sacks but the one teachertile posted has my vote :)

• michellemarie
    10 years ago

I vote simple. I don't love the travertine. I like classic so a crackle subway tile would be my first choice. I would add the color in my accessories and spend the money saved on a beautiful window treatment.

• twosit
    10 years ago

I had to laugh a little when I read your post. We did our kitchen 5 years ago and it would totally be our SOP to procrastinate getting the backsplash completed. Luckily we did get ours done right away or we would be in the same position.
    I like what teachertile posted. I think I would also consider the same tones in a subway shape.

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

Something simple would be nice. Maybe even a larger tile.

• katiekitchen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like subway tile and had originally leaned toward white, but might consider light gray. I like the last ones teachertile posted. Where are they from? Maybe I'd like those, but a bit lighter.

• Sms
    10 years ago

If you have any counter remnants you might want to take that and a door to a few tile shops, find some options and them bring samples home to see in various lighting conditions in your kitchen.

This is a soft gray crackle from Vermeere that might be a consideration.

• stealthecrumbs
    10 years ago

I second (or third) the vote for a pale grey subway. You might not even need or want the crackle... or white which is a classic that you can easily accessorize with color. You will be amazed at how finished the space feels once you add tile! Love your cabinets, btw. The raised panel is nice.

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

Something like this would be nice too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I also agree - keep it simple but I think a subtle shade of blue would be great based on your peripherals. Maybe something from Heath.

I don't see crackle - but then I never wanted crackle for my kitchen when I started looking and guess what - I ended up with crackle.

BTW - what a beautiful kitchen!

• detroit_burb
    10 years ago

to me, those vintage-look white inset cabinets are calling for white subway tile and an inset of penny or small hex tile over the cooking area.

• michellemarie
    10 years ago

I originally said crackle, but agree with the other posters that a crackle may not he needed. Here is a pic of one of the showers in my house. I liked this subway so much, I used it in 3 of the bathrooms in my house. It is handmade and really beautiful. It is Florida Tile. I will post another pic from another bathroom in which I combined it with glass tile.

• michellemarie
    10 years ago

Another subway idea with Florida Tile and glass tile.

• katiekitchen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You guys are giving me some great ideas!! Keep them coming and thanks for the kind words about my kitchen. It's a tiny space, but thanks to some careful planning and invaluable help from this site, it works well for our family of 5! (It was only a family of 3 when we did the remodel.)

I really like the gray subway tile zeitgeist posted and the combination with the glass tiles is really intriguing!

• Peke
    10 years ago

Same colors as mixer and bowls I think. The tile is from Glass Tile Store online. I always look by the color I want. Also look for Coastal Collection at the same place. Samples are dirt cheap!

This post was edited by Peke on Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 19:44

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

You already have lots of great suggestions and I will add that your kitchen is lovely.