Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judydel_gw

open base cabinet for cutting board

judydel
15 years ago

I use my cutting boards a lot and am wondering if an open base cabinet next to the sink would be a good place to store them. Anyone have this kind of arrangement?

Comments (20)

• erikanh
    15 years ago

That's what I'm planning to do in my new kitchen, under my prep sink.

Have you seen these? I thought of getting one, but I think the cutting board I'm getting will be too large:

{{!gwi}}

• plllog
    15 years ago

My boards are big (baking as well as cutting), and I'm trying to find a place for a longer, narrower vertical storage. Did you say whether you're using standard sizes or custom? Sometimes the standard sizes include "filler" cabinets. One of those might be ideal.

I like Erika's idea for smaller chopping boards. In fact, I'm doing pull-outs for my sink cabinets, and I think this might be a good thing to do on there for the plastic ones.

Of course, mine are always stuck behind the faucet anyway, because by the time they're dry enough to put away it's time to use them again. I even tried really hard to find one of those sinks with the draining channel behind, but the only one was a V&B with way too small a bowl.

• judydel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm doing custom so I thought an 11" open base would be good. I'm glad to see others have the same idea.

• alterit
    15 years ago

I just asked my cabinet guy to make me a cutting board pullout right above my trash drawer. I asked him to put a hole in it so I can just sweep the peelings/crumbs into the trash.

I had a board that was a little drawer in my old 1950's kitchen and loved it for veggies and bread.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

I have a corner prep sink so there was a lot of wasted spaces in the "corners". I bought a tray divider from WalMart to store my various cutting boards. I put the tray divider on the side, angled so the cutting boards go back into the "black hole". I have two 24" long cutting boards & there's more than enough room for them...along with the ones for my sinks and miscellaneous other ones (wood, glass, acrylic). Yikes! I just realized that I think I have 8 cutting boards...I didn't realize I had so many!

• cheri127
    15 years ago

I got so used to storing my cutting boards in an open wall cabinet that was the result of a 5" mismeasurement in my last kitchen that I knew I had to have open storage again. So this time I added an open space to a 36" drawer base.

The wall cutting board cabinet

The new base cabinet (it will have a shelf)

• judydel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow . . . Cheril that new cabinet is so beautiful! How wide is the cutting board nook?

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

I have a lot of cookie sheets and cutting boards/mats, and store them in a 12" base cab on the other side of the DW. Pic:

• fran1523
    15 years ago

Mine slide in next to the microwave which is in a base cabinet. This picture was intended to show off the pull out. That's why the lower door is open.

• tetrazzini
    15 years ago

I wouldn't have an open base cabinet for this because they're long and narrow and hard to clean. And being near the floor I think it would get dirty.

• cheri127
    15 years ago

Judy, the opening is 3 or 3.5 inches wide (and thanks for the compliments). My current cabinet has a 3" opening and it holds 5 cutting boards and a baking stone on the bottom with cookie trays on the shelf above it, but because it's a wall cabinet, it's not quite deep enough and the big boards stick out. Love the convenience, though. As to cleaning a narrow, open base cabinet, that's what those cool swiffer duster wands are for!

• Fori
    15 years ago

I find stuff near the floor in my kitchen gets dirty too, although I know not everyone has that problem.

I've always kept my cutting boards in a drawer with my knives, although I do have one that gets stuck in with baking sheets due to its size. These options do look a little better than stacked boards.

• growlery
    15 years ago

I have a slot very much like Cheri's that holds baking trays, cooling racks, cutting boards anything like that.

It's about the same size, which I think is good. Mine is custom, but I think most lines have some kind of shelf like that, whether it's a wine rack or a spice cabinet or a blank, and you can ask to have it made up empty like that.

No door for easy access, good air circulation for drying.

My mom has had something similar for years and has never had a problem with dirt. But then, you go looking for dirt you're ALWAYS going to find it.

• rosie
    15 years ago

I love open storage above counters, and would have it below too if playing in my kitchen were my joy, but I'm a slob and food always falls downward, no matter which direction I initially launch it, so no.

• katiee511
    15 years ago

I keep mine just like bluekit does. In a base cabinet (with a door), but mine is only 9" wide and it's next to the stove. I have two built in tray dividers that keeps them standing up and (sorta) organised.

• plllog
    15 years ago

Since you're getting custom you might also want a horizontal cabinet like the one I'm getting.

It's great.

Oh, and something my mother did for her big baking board is she had a custom slot for it made between the top of the oven and the bottom of the cabinet above.

• judydel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pllog that's an interesting idea. How wide do you think that cabinet is? Are you getting doors?

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

i'm going to ask my cabinet maker for some deep open shelving directly under the counter of my island (no bending) so i can just pull out the boards and place them on the counter. i thought about a pullout board, but i like to take them to the sink for washing.

• plllog
    15 years ago

Judydel,

The cabinet in the picture is about counterheight tall and does have doors (check the magnet latch at the top). I think it's about 2 cookie sheet's wide (same shelf), which would make the interior width 28", right? So 30"? Not that custom cabinets are always standard widths.

I'm definitely getting doors. Keeps stuff clean. :)

Kateskouros, you can also do a pullout with release latches so you can take it to the sink. Just let it dry before you put it back. :)

• gardenburgher
    15 years ago

Judydel - I was just admiring Redrange's finished kitchen when I noticed she has some open shelving for cutting boards and cookie sheets. It's near the range and not the sink, though. I believe she has Ikea cabinets.

HTH!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!