Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taggie_gw

Finished Kitchen Reveal -- Traditional Yellow Stained Cabs

taggie
12 years ago

I finally have pics of our new kitchen. We've been done almost two months now and are so happy with it. It's the perfect kitchen for us and works for the way we live.

Many thanks to the wonderful folks on gardenweb for helping design my kitchen. Some who helped overtly by making suggestions on the layout -- Rhome you probably don't even remember but I'll be forever greatful to you! And some who helped without knowing it by just influencing my choices -- buehl whose upper tray storage idea I used and who I think first introduced me to the sharp mw drawer, thynes who influenced by backsplash tiles, and many many more. Before gardenweb, I'd never even heard of some of the things we ended up putting into our kitchen, e.g., the refrigerator drawers as one example. I just love this site!

Prior to remodel, our stove was on a far wall across the aisle from water, while fridge and pantry were behind the island ... totally bass-ackwards and I felt like I was running an obstacle course every time I took a boiling pot of water from the stove, navigating over the dog and around hubby who was likely at the fridge getting cream for his coffee. The biggest change our remodel was switching the fridge and stove runs, and putting a second sink/beverage area which my husband can use while I cook and we aren't in each other's way now. Yay.

Cabinets: Local Custom Cabinet Maker (in GTA, Canada)

Fridge/Freezer: Kenmore Pros with risers & top/bottom trim kit

Range: Monogram ZDP484GPSS

Hood Insert: Monogram ZVC48LSS

Fridge/Freezer Drawers: JennAir JUD248C

Microwaves: Sharp 24" drawer KB6014MSC and Kenmore cheapie

Coffee Maker: Miele CVA4066

Trash Compactor: Kitchenaid KUCS03FTPA

Dishwashers: Kenmore Elite tall tub & Kenmore Elite drawer

Main Sink: Kindred couble offset (forget the model)

Bar Sink: Nantucket NS20

Faucets: Delta Waterfall & Delta Addison

Other Faucets: Insinkerator Hot at main sink, Insinkerator Cold at bar sink

Other Gadgets: Insinkerator Garbage Disposal, Hot Tank, Water Chiller

Backsplashes: Saltillo Tile las vegas and alaska

Tile floor: Astor 18s and 12s in hopscotch pattern

Chandelier & Pendants: Rona cheapies

Favorite things:

-- Coffee maker (I would marry it if I could, I love it so much :))

-- The workflow!! Finally, a kitchen that works!

-- Grill: took me a while to try this out, but have just used it 7 nights in a row now and it's fantastic

-- Remote mount hood control (it's just fun every time I turn it on)

-- Dog food drawer

-- DH's vitamin drawer (it looks a mess inside, but they used to get left all over the desk in our pre-drawer kitchen ... now everything stays in the drawer and the mess gets shut away, it's magic :))

-- Too many other tings to mention so I'll finally shut and post some pics now

Finally, a couple cool little extras our cabinet maker did for us:

Put niches in the back undersides of the island so we can keep our laptop cords there:

Made us these little 'shelf boxes' to raise smaller items in our glass uppers so they can be seen from floor level -- he stained the boxes dark or yellow to match the respective cabs, and it was a nice surprise for us as we weren't expecting these:

Did custom, movable drawer dividers - after the kitchen was installed he asked us which way we wanted dividers to go for each drawer (horizontal or vertical) then came back a couple days later with drawer dividers custom cut to wedge in tight, but we can unwedge and move them depending on what we want to store:

I love my new kitchen. Thanks to everyone on gardenweb for helping to shape it!

Comments (68)

• mmhmmgood
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Lovely, warm, inviting...I just want to grab a cup of coffee from your fantastic coffee maker and sip it while you gush about all the great little details. So many fun customizations hiding behind all the beautiful woodwork!

Congrats on a beautiful and functional space!

• clarygrace
    12 years ago

Very beautiful and inviting! I do love the coffee maker! What really is of note are the fine details and craftmanship! Enjoy for many years to come!

• mobydog
    12 years ago

Stunning kitchen! So well thought out. I love the beverage center, drawer organization...actually I just love EVERYTHING about your kitchen. Well done!

• hsw_sc
    12 years ago

What a warm and wonderful kitchen! Your cabinet maker is a details-man, such clever ideas he had (the lifts for the uppers, the cord-hiders). Wow, I love it and I know you'll enjoy it. Beautiful!

• Linda
    12 years ago

That is simply stunning! And so functional in so many ways! Yours is definitely going to be an "inspirational" kitchen for me! I wish I could live there now!

• angel411
    12 years ago

That is one beautiful kitchen! Everything about it is so functional, but stunning at the same time.
    That is how yellow should be done! The colors work perfectly together.

Congratulations!

• shelayne
    12 years ago

Beautiful! I love the yellow that brings such a nice happy warmth to the richness of the wood. I have to say that your cabinet maker is a rock star! What thoughtful details to make your kitchen even more special!

Congratulations and happy cooking!

• kfhl
    12 years ago

Beautiful, beautifully planned and so inviting that I got the urge to make a cup of coffee and sit down at your table. If only I had that coffee maker :( Enjoy.

• Debbi Branka
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful and amazing! I love everything about it! Funny, I thought the dog food was pistachios! I thought - wow! that sure is a LOT of pistachios! I love the baking sheet drawer by the stove and cabinets over the fridge. Everything has a place - that's awesome! Beautiful!

• aokat15
    12 years ago

Congratulations, taggie!! Your kitchen is gorgeous and has such a warm and inviting feel!! You really did such an amazing job planning out each inch of your kitchen and you have some of the best drawers I've seen! Enjoy your great space!!

• bostonpam
    12 years ago

Wow - what a lovely kitchen. I really love the yellow cabinets and the back splash. Enjoy.

• Kat3kits
    12 years ago

Taggie, What an elegant and beautiful kitchen! It looks amazingly well thought-out and efficient too...congratulations!
    When I first saw the dog food drawer I thought how quickly my old GSD would have that open and empty in no time (he used to open the pantry door, unlock the rubbermaid bucket and help himself all the time); My female was much more polite and dignified (until she saw a squirrel, anyway!).
    Thanks for sharing your kitchen and enjoy!

• laxsupermom
    12 years ago

Wow! What a gorgeous kitchen! I love all the well thought out details - your cabinet maker sounds like a real gem. Love how warm and inviting your kitchen feels. I'd love to hang out with a cup of coffee in your beautiful new space - Enjoy!

• AnnaA
    12 years ago

Incredible! How beautiful and functional.

Everytime I see a GW finished kitchen portfolio, I think how GW contributors could put together the BEST kitchen remodel picture book - better than anything I've seen in stores.

Thanks for sharing.

• lazydaisynot
    12 years ago

Wow, it's like a room full of sunshine. Just beautiful! Didn't have time to look at all the details this morning but I'll look forward to stopping by later to take it all in. Enjoy your lovely kitchen!

• taggie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

cj47, total_remodel, and ilene-84, thanks for your nice posts, you've made my day!

codymaxx the planning is at least half the fun! make sure you post back with pics when you're finished.

plllog thank you for your kind wishes. :) And breezy, lol on totally getting a dog food drawer if only you had a dog! Ha ha ha.

mmhmmgood, clarygrace, mobydog, hsw_sc, legallin, kfhl, angel41, shelayne, bostonpam, laxsupermom, AnnaA, and lazydaisynot: thank you all so much for your lovely words, I appreciate you taking the time to post, and can't wait to show my husband tonight.

deb52899, lol, now I'll be craving pistachios every time I feed the dog.

aokat15, that means a lot coming from you with your fab drawers. Green with envy over your tray storage (and plllog's platter storage too!)

Kat3kits, OMG thank goodness our dog can't open drawers -- I never even thought of that. He actually can open our lever-handled doors but never did figure out the pull drawers. Whew!

• hlove
    12 years ago

The two cabinet colors look so warm and rich together. And I, too, love the dog food drawer! Congratulations and enjoy!

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

Very pretty, and I am going to steal the hidden power cord idea!

• thynes1501
    12 years ago

Yet another fabulous yellow kitchen on Gardenweb!! It's gorgeous taggie, and with so many thoughtful and functional touches. I love the colors you've chosen. I think it'd be great if you shared cabinet/wall colors and stain details with us.

And I'm so delighted to see that you used the Saltillo metallic glass tiles. They look absolutely beautiful in your kitchen!

• colorfast
    12 years ago

What a lovely kitchen! I especially love your beautiful wood tones in both the island and the drink area cabinets. And your tile floor is just so warm and inviting--usually I don't notice the floors first thing. But I did, with yours.

Great job!

• 2LittleFishies
    12 years ago

Beautiful Kitchen!!! I really love it! : ) Congratulations!

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Very nice, I Really love that backsplash!

• jlb1003
    12 years ago

This kitchen is awesome! It is so warm and inviting. What alot of thought that you must have put into this! Very nice.

• kaysd
    12 years ago

Taggie, your kitchen is so elegant and warm and inviting at the same time. I do not usually care for yellow, but I really like your mix of cabinetry. I love all the functional details (I just copied several of the photos to show my cabinet maker).

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

Taggie, I love your kitchen so much. I love the floors, the counters (what are they), the dog food drawer, the trash pull-outs, the mix of cabinetry, the functional cabinets and drawers and all the space you have. The appliances are all so nice also.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

You must be in heaven in your new kitchen! Going from a poor layout to a functional and gorgeous space is a world apart.
    Your bs is so pretty and sparkly.
    Your cab maker sounds like a real gem. I bet he'd be thrilled if you posted on Angie's list how wonderful he was.....

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

The cabinetry is just stunning! Wonderful craftmanship and the contrast between the light and dark. The floors, cabinets and backsplash are gorgeous.

• taggie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks hlove, lazygardens, colorfast, 2LittleFishies, jlb1003, kaysd, and gsciencechick. :) And 2LittleFishies, I hope you get your yellow kitchen!

jterrilynn, I just saw your beautiful yellow cabinets on 2littlefishies thread -- they are gorgeous!! I am in awe that you could do those yourself, wow, wow, wow.

lynn2006, thanks, and the counters are Caesarstone Chocolate Truffle. Not the most 'chic' look going but I really like them. Plus they camouflage spilled coffee droplets and coffee cup rings and other messes perfectly. I wipe them at least twice every day and am always so surprised that the bar counter is as messy/dirty as it is because it never looks it!

thynes, I just love the backsplash! The one little bit of modern in what would otherwise be such an overwhelmingly traditional kitchen -- it just makes me smile. Soooo glad I saw your beautiful kitchen and your totally stunning range wall! I don't actually know what colors the cabinets are. For the chocolate ones he had a stain made to match the cabinets from our ensuite (where we added some of his additional cabs as well). For the yellow I started from a couple of BM chips and he had stains made from those, then played off one of the colors by lightening it a couple of shades I think. So I don't know what it ended up being close to. Also it wasn't just the color of the stain it was also how it was applied. The same yellow looked completely different when lightly sprayed vs. more heavily sprayed. So it was sort of trial and error until it was the color I liked in our lighting.

dianalo, thanks, and you are right that I should post about our cabinet maker. I don't think angie's list is a toronto thing (?) but there are a couple of sites including one called homestars that a lot of people up here use so I will post on those for sure. Thanks for the push!

• labpa
    12 years ago

just beautiful! Can you tell me who did the insert for the dog food drawer? I am having a terrible time finding someone who understands what I want (which is exactly like yours but with a lift off lid) and my GC keeps saying "oh that will be really expensive".

By the way, my dogs (a Great Dane and a 75 lb mutt) are not nearly smart enough to open a drawer....

• SugarCookies
    12 years ago

Wow! Beautiful kitchen. You must be so happy!

• Ilene Perl
    12 years ago

It's beautiful!

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Taggie, that's really impressive. It's all so well integrated and of-a-piece. It just *looks* like it flows well, as you say it does in reality as well.

Did your cabinet maker do the range housing too? It looks fantastic. May all your gatherings flow as smoothly.

• splitrock
    12 years ago

Your house is clearly a labour of love. I can just see the thought that went into each decision, from the Caesarstone to the dog food drawer, you were thinking of the people who would use that space. The results are really memorable. No random KD could do that, it had to have come from your heart!

• taggie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey, how fun to see my kitchen again, especially looking so clean and neat (I will have to get off my duff and do some cleaning tomorrow lol). Thank you all for the nice comments!

labpa, the insert was done by a steel fabricator in our (smallish) town. Our cabinet guy just gave them the measurements and they made it from that. It cost $200 so with a lid it might be a bit more, but that's not ridiculously expensive for the convenience of feeding a Dane AND and his 75 pound buddy. :-) Man how hated those big bags that always spilled kibble everywhere -- this is WAY worth it.

alaris, the range hood housing was done by the cabinet maker. I just showed him a picture and asked him to make it look like that ... and he did! He was so great to work with.

• labpa
    12 years ago

taggie, thanks so much for the info. I too, have a Dane and a 75 lb mutt. Just posted for some advice on a backsplash for a difficult space with a link which includes pics of them on their custom made dog sofa! The dog food storage thing was actually the deciding factor in our decision to proceed with redoing the kitchen. Amazing that I make such large economic decisions based on my dogs....

• taggie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL, those economic decisions are totally understandable! We all do such crazy thing for our pets. Like how we'll suffer with the most horrible flu for a solid week ourselves without even thinking of seeing a doctor, but the second a pup gets so much as a watery eye we whisk them off the vet pronto. Ah well, they're worth it. :)

• gingerjenny
    12 years ago

your countertops are amazing!!! WOW Simply so stunning. May I ask what size your kitchen layout is? I think it would take up half my house :) LOL

• taggie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks gingerjenny! It's 16 x 20 but we cheated by going all the way down to the end of the breakfast nook to get the length.

• gbsim1
    12 years ago

What a great kitchen!!

I found your link by searching for Jenn-Air fridge/freezer drawers since unexpectedly that is what we're considering for our new kitchen.

I was hoping you could share how you're liking them so far? How is the insulation (do you notice a lot of cycling) and also the noise factor?

I had planned on going with the 27" subzero but was disappointed today to learn at the showroom that the inner dimensions on the SZ are very small. . The lower SZ freezer drawer is so shallow (6") as to make it practically useless.

The showroom had a JennAir also on display and it was pretty shocking how much more space the JA had in both drawers.

Also did you have any problems making your cabinet panels flush with your other cabinetry?

Thanks!!

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

I agree, what a gorgeous kitchen. I just spent a few minutes scrolling back and forth looking at all the special things you had done. I love the divided cabinets and the boxes your builder put in to raise the smaller items. Very cool.

• farmhousegirl
    12 years ago

Fantastic! Love the dog food drawer! That's a great idea! Enjoy!

• taggie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

gbsim, we do like the JennAir drawers a lot. They weren't our first choice either; originally we were going to go with 2 fridge drawers but we decided near the last minute that we wanted a freezer drawer and this JennAir model was the best choice.

One thing that gave us some pause was the lack of movable dividers. Since we keep bags of milk there for smoothies I was initially against these drawers since I figured the milk jug would tip over. But function (the deep freezer drawer and ice maker) won out and I just bought little container/dividers to go inside the drawers to keep it organized. Works perfectly.

We haven't noticed much cycling and the temperature is good. I'm not sure about the noise. It's not something we've ever noticed but that's not saying much as we usually have the TV or stereo going and appliance noise isn't something that usually bothers us. I don't think they're loud though; I notice the dishwasher but have never noticed the fridge/freezer drawers.

No problems making the cabinet panels flush; they just took the exact same drawer front thickness as the rest of our drawers.

One thing I really like about these drawers is that they give a loud beeping noise if the drawers are open more than about 60 (I think?) seconds. That has saved us I don't know how many times! The rest of our drawers are soft-closing, and many times we've just sort of pushed these ones lightly and walked away, unconsciously applying the same pressure as for a standard drawer. Of course that leaves the fridge or freezer ajar, and instead of coming back to melted ice or sour milk, the beeping saved us countless times. That might be a standard feature on all fridge drawers, I don't know. It wasn't something we checked out in advance but it's definitely something we appreciate now.

Good luck and have fun with your remodel.

• westtoeast
    12 years ago

So lovely! Count me in as another one who wishes she had seen that dog food drawer 3 months ago! I would have copied it, for sure! We have a boxer and just put in a roll out tray that will hold her dog food storage bin..the drawer would have been more functional for sure...damn it! ;-)
    So many great extras! Well done!

• gbsim1
    12 years ago

Thanks taggie!
    I'm not sure if the jenn air drawers are identical to the Kitchenaid and hadn't been able to find much info on them.
    I came to a quick turn around on my choice when I was able to compare the size of the lower drawer in the JA with the subzero. And I love subzero so it was something for me to back away from that choice!

• rikerk
    11 years ago

Hi Taggie I love your beautiful kitchen. Can you tell me how tall your ceilings are? Also how is the main sink area working out for you across from the range? I am considering moving my dishwasher to the island. What is the distance between the cooking area and the island area? I love your range hood.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Taggie - Beautiful kitchen - I was scratching my head as I thought I missed this kitchen then realized it was March 2012.
    Hope you are still loving that kitchen - love the details - how fun, functional and beautiful!

• sanjuangirl
    11 years ago

Wow!!! Don't know how I missed this reveal the first time! So glad it came back up. I don't even know how to begin.....breathtaking! AND so functional. Must be wonderful to be finished and have such a warm, inviting place to cook, eat and live. Even cleaning up would be fun in this kitchen. Congratulations! Enjoy!

• audreyamelia
    11 years ago

Beauty and Function. Great Job!

• madeyna
    11 years ago

Wow really sums it up. What kind of wood is on your island and what color is it stained? I am looking into wood doors in my livingroom and that color is exactly what I have in mind.

• taggie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh boy, yay, what fun to have my kitchen come up again after all this time.

madeyna, the stain is a chocolate brown but not sure the exact shade. The cabinet maker started me with a some door samples to take home and we went from there. He custom mixed his stains so didn't give the names of them other than that they were chocolates.

a2gemini, yes I am still totally loving the kitchen. Can honestly say that if I had a blank slate today I would pick all the exact same choices ... except for one of the dishwashers. Okay, and *maybe* I would be tempted to try a silgranite sink since everyone raves about them so much, but that's it. :-) So happy with everything.

sanjuangirl, audreyamelia, and rikerk, thanks for your nice comments too! You guys have all totally made my day!

rikerk, the ceilings are 9'. LOVE the island sink across from the range. The aisle width is exactly 42" from counter overhang to counter overhang (about 45.5" from cab to cab as the overhangs are 1.75"). The range oven handles & dw drawer handles protrude out a bit as well so it's 37" from handle to handle at the narrowest point. The aisle width works perfectly. Just enough to have the appliances and opposing drawers open without touching each other, but not too wide that a pivot from prep to range isn't comfortable too. A couple pics below so you can see the width better. (and good luck with your remodel!)