Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susiemw

Please help with cottage kitchen layout

susiemw
11 years ago

Hi all,

It's time for me to get serious about the layout for my 9' x 19' cottage kitchen. I'm hoping some of you can take a look at it and share any suggestions that you might have.

My cottage started out as a one room fishing shack that got expanded over the years.
This is a simple lake cottage not a McMansion and I'm looking for a simple cottage vibe for it. Storage is extremely limited (two small closets in the entire cottage) so I want a functional kitchen that has good use of space.
This was intended to be a more superficial update but one thing led to another and the kitchen and bathrooms ended up being torn down to the studs!

The low falling down ceiling has been torn out and raised. The ceiling is now sloped and is 82 " high at the outside wall and 100 7/8" high on the inside wall.

The new flooring (spalted white elm) has been laid and runs straight through the kitchen and into the bathroom. This is the only bathroom in the cottage.

The electric was redone as well as a new larger fuse box was installed.

The bathroom details are already taken care of.

I'm hoping for help with the kitchen layout.

My finances at this point are limited so I'll probably do the kitchen slowly in stages.

Up until now I've used the cottage as a weekend get awy but I've been offered a job only 20 minutes away and it may end up being a permanent home for me.

For the majority of the time it will just be me in the kitchen but on weekends I will have family and friends helping in the kitchen as well.

Must haves:
1. dishwasher: I loathe doing dishes. Can be a smaller size dishwasher.
2. counterspace to cook/bake/prep. I've never had a kitchen with anything near adequate counter space so having counterspace to prep for meals would be delightful.

3. maximize storage: there are only two small closets in the cottage and one holds the water heater.

4. a space for a table as there is no dining room so this must be an eat in kitchen. In the past the table has always resided in the corner with the windows looking out into the back yard.

would like to have:

a. a small space for a dorm fridge for beverages. When my family comes they tend to bring drinks and snacks for their family and with my fridge being small it's really inconvenient and a little intrusive. a dorm fridge could fit in the cubby under the stairs and wouldn't need to be in the fridge.

b. space for cookbooks. I'm a book lover and would love to be able to see some of my cookbooks in my kitchen.

c. I would also like to have a pot rack.

d a beverage station would be nice but not at all necessary

obstacle: along the outside kitchen wall.. right next to the shared kitchen/bathroom wall is the pipe from the well and it sticks up ~10" or a little less. Perhaps this could be a spot for a dishwasher that is up on a platform? Perhaps with a drawer underneath it?

Just outside the kitchen is a little cubby under the stairs that go up to a dormer/bedroom. The space under stairs is going to be a small pantry for the kitchen. The microwave doesn't get used much so I'm planning on putting it in this area.

I'm thinking this area might be a good spot for my cats food dishes as well.

I have the original cast iron double sink/double dish drainer and at this point I'm going to reuse it both to cut down on the expense and for the fun/originality factor. The only issue is that it's HUGE. The metal cabinet that it sits on is 65 1/2" wide 23 1/2 " deep and 35 " high (without the sink). It had been centered under the window.

My current refrigerator is very small as it had to fit into a cubby hole under the stairs. That cubby has been walled over. This small refrigerator will (eventually) be replaced with a larger unit.

I have 3 free standing cabinets which I can use or not.

The owner of the saw mill that milled and installed my floors are great and I am considering having them build cabinets to fit the 88" run of wall on the right when you first enter the kitchen. The area is shallow at only 17 " deep.

I've had a few people suggest putting my refrigerator in this space. it's certainly a possibility but I don't think it's optimal as I think it would really stick out and seem obstructive as you walk into the house.

The kitchen door is the main entry into the cottage.

I'm looking forward to having a gas stove. I had a gas line run and the stove will need to be located along the section of wall that has the pass through window in it. The "window" looks out through the living room and out to the lake.

While I am open to an L shape counter in that corner I think having one will detract from being able to see the view of the lake from the kitchen. Because of the staircase the "window" opening couldn't be centered on the wall and had to be placed as close to the shared bathroom/kitchen wall as possible. This window opening with its view of the
lake is really going to be spectacular!

Below are pictures so you can get an idea of what the space really looks like.

I'm 55 (and my mom 85) so trying to think ahead for when bending and reaching will be more difficult than it is now.

I'd love to hear your suggestions.

Particulary where should I put the refrigerator??

Here is the floor plan:

Here are some pics of the space so you can have a better idea of what the space looks like:

stretch of wall where the stove will go. The window opening looks out through the living room to the lake:

corner where the kitchen table lives:

door to the outside:

I like the green shelf and may do this in my kitchen:

new flooring:

my sink looks like this except it's white:

cubby under the stairs which will be a small pantry:
the link won't work so here is a clickable link:
Thanks for your help.

Susan

Comments (13)

• susiemw
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

the clickable link didn't work correctly. Here is the under stair cubby next to the kitchen

• susiemw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Some suggested layouts from the local big box stores:

• liriodendron
    11 years ago

You'll get better help here if you can make (and post) a drawing of the room on graph paper, with all the dimensions of the room on it. It doesn't have to be a computerized one, just use graph paper and a dark pen.

Aa couple of thoughts: for a weekend home (at least for now) I would not rely on open shelving. When I arrived at my weekend cottage, the very last thing I wanted to do is start cleaning my dishes. I want to leave every thing carefully tucked away in closed cupboards so I know it's clean and hasn't been accumulating a week or two's worth of dust, fly specks (and dare I say it -- mouse poops) Open shelves are sort of OK (I have them now in my main kitchen) but only for the stuff that gets used nearly every day. Beyond one or two day's dust, I can see it enough to make me want to wash the dishes all over again. In reality open shelves and a hanging pot rack (I have both) are in the category of those things that look much better in print than they actually live, at least in my experience.

Since you say you hate dishwashing I think open shelves, except for decorative stuff that's almost never used, may not be for you. (Wouldn't want to lift my stand mixer down, even with a ladder.)

I'm sure you can make a useful, pretty and functional kithen in your space, but the first thing to do is make a dimentioned drawing, as well as rough sketch of how the space relates to the other rooms.

You might find a dish drawer dishwasher fits your needs and it would fit over the water pipe just fine. Smaller and a bit pricey, but if you planned on it and were prepared to hunt for a scratch and dent or left over floor model you might luck out.

HTH

L.

• liriodendron
    11 years ago

Sorry I didn't see that you included a sketch with a few measurements on it.

Are you open to moving the gas line which appears to be in an awkward place; and maybe the water arrangements, as well?

The doorway into the bathroom really crowds the current sink run. The space appears to be almost too narrow to have a "normal" set of cabs/counter top to left of the door.

I think swapping the sink counter and the range counter would make a world of difference. Leave the fridge on stairwall and give up the space-wasting double sink and drainboard. I don't think you have room for it. Sinks are not very expensive and I think this is one place where you can "capture" much more function than you have. I would make the opening into the living room as big as structurally possible; the old, small opening is oddly proportioned.

If I understand correctly, the bathroom is just beyond, so the plumbing shouldn't be difficult to arrange on the house side of the kitchen.

Having the stove on an exterior wall will make ventilation cheaper and easier, too.

I'm not sure I would have L-shaped Banquette seating. I think I would have it only along the door wall and combine it with a somewhat narrow table. You could have chairs to use at the table when you have guests. the chairs could live in other parts of the house except when needed. Viusually i think the L-shape makes the room feel over-stuffed. You won't lose much storage since it would prevent the deadspace in the corner.

HTH

L.

• deedles
    11 years ago

What about a dishwasher drawer? You could get the Fisher and Paykel tall one in the top of the cab and have the bottom of the cab altered to accept whatever the pipe would need. I might also want to get the fridge away from the table area. Maybe put it down on the other end of that run and move the stove down?

I have open shelves in my kitchen for canisters/serving pieces/some decorative stuff and such and I do like them. I had my dishes on them for awhile and found it very convenient, but it wasn't the right spot 'zone wise' for them. I don't find it bothersome to wipe things off occasionally (very occasionally). Guess it depends how AR you tend to be.

Here is a link that might be useful: DWD

• susiemw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

liriodendron
    >Aa couple of thoughts: for a weekend home (at least for >now) I would not rely on open shelving.

I agree. I love open shelving but with it being a lake cottage mice and spiders are inevitable. At least we've managed to close off the entrance that let a little raccoon get in last year argghhhh. I don't want to have to be constantly cleaning the dishes etc.

>>
    >You might find a dish drawer dishwasher fits your needs >and it would fit over the water pipe just fine.

I'll have to look into them. I've read about them on here but never seen one. Sounds like a good possibility.

>Are you open to moving the gas line which appears to be in >an awkward place; and maybe the water arrangements, as >well?

I could but it would require I have my new floor pulled up which I would do but only if it's going to get me something spectacular :) so yes, I'm open to it depending on the outcome.

>The doorway into the bathroom really crowds the current >sink run. The space appears to be almost too narrow to >have a "normal" set of cabs/counter top to left of the >door.

I'm a little annoyed about that. The door was at the 16" mark so it was moved... but the workers didn't quite get it right so now it's at the 24 1/2 " mark which doesn't really leave me great space for the counter. I can have them move it again and am considering it.

>I think swapping the sink counter and the range counter >would make a world of difference. Leave the fridge on >stairwall and give up the space-wasting double sink and >drainboard. I don't think you have room for it.

I'm afraid you are probably right. I like it but the
    darn thing is HUGE.

>could make the opening into the living room as big as >structurally possible; the old, small opening is oddly >proportioned.

The original opening was much smaller and even more
    oddly placed. The current opening is as large as it
    can get due to the staircase on the other side of the
    wall.

>If I understand correctly, the bathroom is just beyond, so >the plumbing shouldn't be difficult to arrange on the >house side of the kitchen.

The bathroom is just beyond the kitchen.

>I'm not sure I would have L-shaped Banquette seating.

I wouldn't either. I don't like it but it was one of the
    suggestions the KD came up with it.

>Viusually i think the L-shape makes the room feel over->stuffed. You won't lose much storage since it would >prevent the deadspace in the corner.

I agree. and my kitchen table normally lives pushed
    into the corner and can be moved out into a normal position as needed.

Thanks for your help!

Susan

• susiemw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Deedles,

I will have to research dishwasher drawers. I'm not familiar with them other than having read about them on here.

I will consider having the refrigerator on the same wall as the stove. That might work well and I wouldn't have to move the gas/water lines.

>>What about a dishwasher drawer? You could get the Fisher and Paykel tall one in the top of the cab and have the bottom of the cab altered to accept whatever the pipe would need. I might also want to get the fridge away from the table area. Maybe put it down on the other end of that run and move the stove down?

>I have open shelves in my kitchen for canisters/serving >pieces/some decorative stuff and such and I do like them.

I love open shelving and if I take this job and will be living there full time so I can keep mice under control they would work but if I'm not there full time I think they might not be ideal. I figure I might add a few open shelves but have most things behind doors/drawers.

thanks for the ideas!

Susan

• cottagewithroses
    11 years ago

If possible, I would open the inside window space to the living room and put the table there, against the wall to the bathroom.

I would move the range to the same wall as the sink, on the other side of the dishwasher. Then incorporate the former table area into additional prep space. Can you change the windows and make them a little higher, to allow for a proper counter space?

• susiemw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

cottagewithroses (LOVE your name!)

the inside window that looks out into the living room
    is as big as it can be due to the stairwell on the otherside of the wall.

As for the other windows they could be replaced. there is 9 inches of headroom above those windows so they could be replaced with a different size window and they could be raised.

Susan

• cottagewithroses
    11 years ago

Thank you! Can you show us the location of the stairs, on your plan? In fact, it might be helpful to see a drawing of all the spaces that border the kitchen area.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    11 years ago

It was interesting to read your OP, see the pics of your space, then see the big box store layouts. When I read about the cast iron sink and freestanding cabinets, I was so hoping you were doing an old-fashioned, unfitted kitchen. I know--pretty pictures for me, but maybe not so functional for you. :[

Just wanted to send you some encouragement from another 55yr old who remodeled an 'old house' kitchen a couple of years ago. Here are some older threads that you might use for inspiration (and some laughs):

Modest and quirky kitchens

More modest and quirky

Recycled/upcycled kitchens

• susiemw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mamagoose,

Thanks for the links I'm going to be curling up with the laptop and going through them now. I suspect my kitchen will end up a combo style. I like my big blue hutch so I suspect that will be in the kitchen and I have two smaller white hutches that I may or may not use in the kitchen.

The interesting thing about the Kitchen designers is that not one of them wanted any input from me on what I wanted or how I wanted to use my kitchen. One actually told me to not tell her anything to just let her do her thing. Can you say annoyed!

I'm going to take things slow with the kitchen. Once it's actually usable anyway, I will then take things slow... I want to live with it a bit and see what changes I really need/want. Having the little pantry under the stairs will help with storage.

The cast iron kitchen sink will go back into the kitchen and I can see where I want everything and if I need to change it out to get more storage. If I decide to keep it I may paint the cabinet a fun color. It's currently white.

Susan

• susiemw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry it took so long to get this floor plan for you all but I just got a chance to go up and get measurements. I'll try to get a better copy done on graph paper.

As you can see the 'living area" is broken up by that one weird wall. I'd love to take it out but I suspect it's load bearing. This cottage was a one room fishing shack that was added on to a few times.

There is a dormer upstairs which is a small bedroom with two small attics on either side. No closet upstairs. The only two closets are the ones you see that are on the first floor.

I'm going to need a spot for a washer and dryer which I'm thinking they will go into the closet with the water heater.
    I'm thinking about one of those tankless water heaters so I can free up a little floor space.

Thank you for any and all suggestions!

Oh yes, I almost forgot to tell you, I did accept a job just 20 minutes away from my cottage so I will be living in this cottage as my permanent home at least during the work week starting in april or may.

Susan