Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jgopp

Follow up: Beer tap in kitchen

jgopp
13 years ago

Since it's superbowl sunday I've been cracking into it. I will post a few more photos of the system that runs into the basement to operate this thing. But it's flowing nicely :) I know a couple people were interested in seeing how it was going to work out.

Comments (17)

• doggonegardener
    13 years ago

We are itching to get ours up and running. I like the idea that you put yours by a prep sink. Very creative. I would LOVE to see your overall setup. My hubby has been watching this subject closely.

Rene

• artemis78
    13 years ago

As has mine...no room in our formal kitchen for it, but he still wants to rig up a little freestanding counter and tap in a corner of our breakfast room using a small fridge with room for a Corney underneath it (and maybe a little IKEA freestanding sink/counter?) I'd be curious to see what the inner workings of yours look like!

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Very nice setup--and I love those glasses! (DH and I are alumni.)

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

Wow! That is fantastic! I'm currently roughing out a space for a wet bar in my family room (along with an adjacent laundry room, powder room, and pantry remodel). I hadn't even thought about the possibility of a beer tap, but maybe I should. I am excited to see photos of the system. Thanks for sharing!

• jgopp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay well I'm going to put up the rest of the photos here. One word of advice for people who are looking to install kegerators or taps in their kitchens...cleanliness is next to godliness in this case. Beer taps can and will get really funk if you don't keep the taps and the lines clean with special cleaners. The taps can usually just be tossed in the dishwasher, same with some of the other connectors. I've used some easy disconnect air supply hook ups to allow me to keep my system clean. Draft beer at home sounds like a great idea, but there is a reason not everyone has it! It is a lot of work for the good stuff :)

The system works using a 'trunk line' which has 2 product tubes and 2 glycol tubes (one for cold going up, and one for warm recirculating back down. The trunk line goes into the freezer through a hole in the top. There is a large CO2 tank next to the freezer for pressure. There is also a hoist above the freezer which helps me put fresh kegs in since they weigh a ton. Overall the system cost roughly 1000 dollars, the large portions were the freezer, the tap, the pressure regulator, and the insulated line (runs about 10 bucks a foot). Anyone can easily do this themselves if you have the space for it.

The "prep sink" is actually basically my wet bar area, I have the liquor in the cabinet above, as well as glasses. I'll put a photo of the entire space on here too. Can you tell I'm a guy :P

-this is the freezer that has been modified to hold 2 or 3 kegs, it has a temperature controller to keep it around 35 degrees.

-inside the freezer is the current keg, the bucket with the red and blue lines coming off of it are the line chilling system. It's about 12 feet up to the top of the keg so the lines are kept cold with a water/glycol solution in that bucket. A little aquarium pump circulates it through.

-under the sink area, as you can see the insulated 'trunk' line comes through the base of the cabinet and up to the tap.

-a better shot of the entire setup.

• lala girl
    13 years ago

I am a total beer girl and am so jealous! that is a crazy great set-up... I would love to have that.

I think I would be a better mom if I had continual access to cold beer in the kitchen.

PS that counter is gorgeous!

• hellonasty
    13 years ago

I'd be drunk 24-7! That's really nice lookin' though! Enjoy!

• jgopp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

laurainlincoln: thanks for the compliments on the granite :) I'm super happy, most people come into the house and tell me my marble looks amazing.

• 10KDiamond
    13 years ago

omg I am in love......with beer and jgopp's set-up. Originally from Wisconsin (my father was in the beer business and YES, very happy with the Superbowl results) so this is very near and dear to my heart. Here I was obsessing on your pendant lights and little did I know that you were holding out on me, jgopp. Incredible set up and I love the way it's tucked away too.

• mountaineergirl
    13 years ago

I'd be on a show "Half ton mom" if I had that in my house LOL!

It's really awesome, except of course for the UM glasses. Actually that's ok now too, since you fired RR :)

WVU alum

• jgopp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

10K - Hahah you make me laugh, I'm holding out on most goodies until my photographer gets me some good pics of the kitchen. Still some things you guys haven't seen :)

• jgopp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, today is a bummer! The frigidare freezer I was using can't stay cold, had an electrician who is doing some other stuff around the house take a look and he says the compressor is messed up. Time to get it fixed already! Thing has only been in the house for a week, and was only running for a few days. UGH.

• jgopp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So the freezer should be getting fixed but I had to pour out about 2/3rds of a keg! And frigidare won't cover any losses. BOO.

• jgopp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Almost two years later now. This system still works like a charm. I can safely say there have been no major failure using this type of set up. I recommend it to anyone.

I made some modifications over the years, such as shortening the cooling line so now it basically goes straight up. And adding new fancier compensator faucets.

The new taps can be seen here...

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

jgopp - Love seeing the pictures, vividly remember your reveal thread and being in awe of all you did. DH would so enjoy the beer tap (and would be able to do the necessary plumbing and electrical). I even have a dead corner in our pantry which has nothing below and could be used for this (easily accessed from the back sides). Here's the question, though: how long does a keg last? I'd love it if DH could have a beer or two nightly but let's just say that his personal sixpack could use a little help, so much more than that would not be optimal. Also, we entertain larger groups every couple of months. Thanks and Best Regards, oldbat2be

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Here's the spot;it would be nice to have a sink in this room as well.

• jgopp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oldbat2be:

Kegs can last up to 4 months without issue. Plus you don't have to get full sized kegs, you can always get quarter barrels which is half the size of a half barrel (which is a standard full size keg). A quarter is 7.75 gallons. If you were having a 2-3 glasses a day, you'll easily get through a quarter within the 4 months. Plus if you don't drink it all, no big deal, you've still saved a ton of cash on the beer. Kegs are very reasonably priced.