Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovetorenovate_gw

Update on the $5k duplex kitchen renovation

lovetorenovate
10 years ago

Here are some updated pictures of my $5k duplex renovation. I'm 99% done on one side - about 99% on the other too but it was too dark for photos. Original thread is here: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0119410913915.html

This side has the mixed cabinets - about $300 cobbled together from what they had at the local habitat restore. $25 used undermount sink, $1,000 Chinese granite (sorry - I know people hate this but at the budget I was working with, I'm very happy - these were not fabricated in China, but here in NC). Appliances from Lowes (had the most horrendous experience so they no longer have any of my business).

The floors are the original pine for half the kitchen, half original oak. Stained to blend together - it's not too bad. The faucet was in my garage - I bought it at overstock last year and can't remember where I was planning to install it (I have another rental house and it may have been there).

I made the island with an extra cabinet, put casters on the bottom, cabinet plywood for the top and a small bracket to support the overhand. The floating bench seat is an idea I saw on Houzz. Kitchen table is an extra 12" upper cabinet with a plywood base and top.

Laundry room floor is "luxury" vinyl with gray grout.

Light fixtures from Ikea, along with cabinet hardware for the drawers, the knobs are the really inexpensive 10 pack from Home Depot in satin nickel (and I'm missing most of them - there are none on the uppers). White subway tile from the restore - under $1/sf - which I may extend from the shelf to the soffit. The fridge surround is a bit of a work in progress too - not happy with it yet.

If I'd had more time, energy and/or money, I would have spent more time pushing my electrician to rewire all the electrical, would have ripped everything out to the studs to have fewer challenges patching the plaster walls/ceilings, added under cabinet lighting, and probably bought a few replacement doors so I didn't have 3 different styles in the same kitchen.

Everything could probably use another coat of paint - but I'm calling it good enough for now. The gray cabinet paint is SW Porpoise. The walls are BM Revere Pewter.

Comments (15)

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

I like it! If you hadn't mentioned it, I would have missed the lack of matching doors.

It's clean, tidy and well thought out.

Can I see a picture of the floor? My bathroom in NM mysteriously was part oak and part pine.

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Looks very nice! I wish that the places we rented would have had a kitchen even a 1/4 as nice as what you are showing here. You should be very proud - you've done a great job - I hope it rents for you very quickly!

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Wow. Proof that if you care a little, you can make a nice kitchen on a short budget. That kitchen beats most rentals I've seen, and would be a welcomed remodel for some outdated kitchens around here! And that grey is gorgeous! I can't wait to see part 2.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

Great job especially for the budget.

• bicyclegirl1
    10 years ago

Excellent job....killer budget! You should be very proud of this kitchen. Way to go!

• rockybird
    10 years ago

Looks great! Does the island roll? I really like the grey for the cabs. Pretty innovative how you used the cabinets for different areas. I also wish the kitchens when I was renting were this nice. Dont forget to post pics of the other kitchen!

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

Looks super cool! I love the floating bench. Love everything really!

• mudhouse_gw
    10 years ago

I like the bold satin nickel handles you chose for the drawers. They work with the gray and tie in the appliances.

I also think it would be pretty if you could extend the tile from the shelf up to the soffit height.

We visit our ReStore weekly, but it's weak on cabinets (I think Restores in larger cities may have better finds!) Good job on the bargain hunting. Thanks for showing what can be done with hard work and a low budget!

• Amy Sumner
    10 years ago

Lovetorenovate--beautiful work! Any renter would be privileged to rent from you! Gorgeous. So, we used the same vinyl tiles! I put them in our hall bath as part of a quick/small reno of that room. Love the look, especially with the grout lines. No one can believe its vinyl. Hope you all will be as happy with yours as we are with ours. I may not want to take it up in a few years when we get around to the real reno of that bath! :)

• texasgal47
    10 years ago

Wow, extremely creative. It's amazing how the mismatched doors come across as almost a non issue in such an amazing kitchen. The creative seating is a wonderful idea. Thanks for sharing!

• beachpea3
    10 years ago

You are one talented and clever renovator! Love the mix of the SW Porpoise and the Revere Pewter. The paint unified the cabinets very well. Great job all around!

• lisa_a
    10 years ago

Wow, another fabulous remodel on such a small budget! Never would have noticed the different door styles if you hadn't mentioned it; the paint really ties it all together. And wow, that laundry room is really nice for a rental.

I've never rented an apartment or house that was as nicely put together as this and your other kitchen.

• lyfia
    10 years ago

This is too nice to be in a rental, wish I had found places to rent that were nice like this. Very functional layout too.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Amazing that you did all that with 5K. Love the gray cabinets with the white backsplash & gray grout. Looking forward to seeing the other side.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Really, really nice! What kind of paint did you use for the cabinets?